• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate xbox series x nvme

nosseman

I wonder if it could be cheaper than a normal NVME-drive.

Cheaper as in no controller on the expansion card - just memory modules - or is there a controller on the memorycard also?

Edit: No DRAM on the drive either.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
1 TB internal + 1 TB Seagate = 2TB. That's not a lot. And that assumes someone buys this Seagate card for probably another $150(?)

Here's hoping all the talk people have suggested saying game installs will be much smaller since devs don't have to duplicate assets everywhere on the HDD and disc.

Crossing fingers on this, but I have my doubts. The typical big game is somewhere between 50-100 gb when patches are included.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

They should allow for off the shelf storage solutions,be more user friendly. These specifically branded accessories are always overpriced to hell.

Banned
what's good about these memory card like SSDs is that you can super easily switch them out on the fly should you buy additional ones later.

so even tho you only have 2TB available at once, simply switching them out expands this very easily.

and I bet as time goes on and these get cheaper we will see 2TB and 4TB versions down the line

nosseman

Thankfully you can move games from already existing external HDDs to the internal SSD and vice versa. So I'll do that until 4TB equivalents are on the market.

I remember a long time ago on PC when HDD was not that big and games was on CD:s.

Some games had the option to install different amount of stuff to the HDD, for example minimum 60 mb install and the rest of the stuff on the cd (that had to be in the drive). Or you could install 250 mb and so on.

1 TB internal + 1 TB Seagate = 2TB. That's not a lot. And that assumes someone buys this Seagate card for probably another $150(?)

Here's hoping all the talk people have suggested saying game installs will be much smaller since devs don't have to duplicate assets everywhere on the HDD and disc.

Crossing fingers on this, but I have my doubts. The typical big game is somewhere between 50-100 gb when patches are included.
2TB is plenty IMO.

On my Pro i have 5TB in total and i only ever play like 3 or 4 of my (100+ library) of games at a time which means the 4 games is installed on my internal SSD and I still have room left on there for a few more. The rest are on my 4TB external and i only transfer the games over on to my SSD that i want to play.

Its all about managing what you want to play.

Why are people crying about it being proprietary? It's an exact replication of the internal drive, it slots in perfectly to their heatsink design to cool equally with the internal drive. The entire intention is that it behave identically for sustained speed and operation.

External drives can be used to store games, and they can quickly be transferred to the main drive or this. That's the whole point.

nosseman

They should allow for off the shelf storage solutions,be more user friendly. These specifically branded accessories are always overpriced to hell.

I dont know if of the shelf part would be more user friendly. This looks like the easiest way. Enclosed in plastic - just plug it in and play.

It does not have to be more expensive than a compatible 1 tb NVME-drive for PS5 either. On a NVME-drive you have a controller and around 1 GB of dram cache ram that add to the price (since it must work in i computer).

This expansion card could skip both the controller and dram cache since that is built in the console.

My guess is that this will be priced around the same as a compatible 1 tb NVME drive for PS5.

Esca

Why are people crying about it being proprietary? It's an exact replication of the internal drive, it slots in perfectly to their heatsink design to cool equally with the internal drive. The entire intention is that it behave identically for sustained speed and operation.

External drives can be used to store games, and they can quickly be transferred to the main drive or this. That's the whole point.

Because proprietary means you have one or very few sources to get an item that is otherwise common. Prices are from my memory always higher with proprietary crap.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's $150

DeaDPo0L84

I dont know if of the shelf part would be more user friendly. This looks like the easiest way. Enclosed in plastic - just plug it in and play.

It does not have to be more expensive than a compatible 1 tb NVME-drive for PS5 either. On a NVME-drive you have a controller and around 1 GB of dram cache ram that add to the price (since it must work in i computer).

This expansion card could skip both the controller and dram cache since that is built in the console.

My guess is that this will be priced around the same as a compatible 1 tb NVME drive for PS5.

You make good points, hopefully what you say ends up being true.

diffusionx

Gold Member

That is people extrapolating one thing Cerny said into all sorts of crazy directions. The duplicated assets does add a little to the total space, but a game like Spiderman is not huge because of 500 mailboxes, it is huge because it's a massive game with lots of content and unique art, voice acting, etc. Any small savings that come from not having to duplicate will quickly be dwarfed by the increased demands from next gen. You're right, it isn't much and won't be much.

If I was getting a XSX I would probably stay away from this as long as possible and see if they introduce a larger one down the road. If that means I can only play two games because they're each 400 gigs, well...

It doesn't have to be, but it will be, because it is proprietary. See the price of Xbox 360 hard drives back in the day.

Exactly, no reason to bitch and moan about this

reinking

Gold Member
Because proprietary means you have one or very few sources to get an item that is otherwise common. Prices are from my memory always higher with proprietary crap.
I wouldn't be surprised if it's $150
I will be shocked if it is $150. Current Firecuda (gen 4) internal 1GB is $249. To be fair I expect the off the shelf solutions for PS5 to be expensive too. The difference is the price will usually drop faster on off the shelf items compared to proprietary. Plus, there will most likely be more size options.

Didn't MS say the cards have built in custom hardware to help boost the speed of the SSD/I/O or something? That could explain why they went with proprietary.

Last edited:

Esca

I will be shocked if it is $150. Current Firecuda (gen 4) internal 1GB is $249. To be fair I expect the off the shelf solutions for PS5 to be expensive too. The difference is the price will usually drop faster on off the shelf items compared to proprietary. Plus, there will most likely be more size options.

You're right it will probably be more. I was putting an very optimistic price to show even then it's going to be pretty expensive .

I prefer Sony's method with their consoles, not including their portable entries which is partly where I hate proprietary to start with

Lone Wolf

I much prefer the PS5 solution to this. I think that does way more to help drive down the pricing of NVME drives as a whole. So PC gamers will also benefit.
What will the price be for PS5 compatible SSD drives? They have to be very fast, fit inside a PS5 and able to sustain a Specific speed. I expect the Xbox drives to be a lot cheaper.

What will the price be for PS5 compatible SSD drives? They have to be very fast, fit inside a PS5 and able to sustain a Specific speed. I expect the Xbox drives to be a lot cheaper.

They might be, I don't know. I'm just saying, when a single company is in charge of making your drives, they have the ability to ramp up, or keep costs at a level they deem necessary. The other approach is a free market approach. Anyone can make a drive for PS5 as long as it's certified. That means there's more competition, and as these will be the same M2 drives you can get on PC, PC gamers may also be able to get faster drives at affordable prices.

This is the superior option for internal storage. You are guaranteed compatibility and don't have to worry about any funky heat sinks or shapes to make it difficult to install. Plus there is no way that this solution is more expensive than a top of the line SSD or NVME that other consoles would need.

Lone Wolf

They might be, I don't know. I'm just saying, when a single company is in charge of making your drives, they have the ability to ramp up, or keep costs at a level they deem necessary. The other approach is a free market approach. Anyone can make a drive for PS5 as long as it's certified. That means there's more competition, and as these will be the same M2 drives you can get on PC, PC gamers may also be able to get faster drives at affordable prices.
I expect PS5 branded drives being sold at a premium. The drives for Xbox are not going to be more expensive. just look at specs the PS5 requires. I also expect other companies to make drives for Xbox as time goes by. im not worried.

I expect PS5 branded drives being sold at a premium. The drives for Xbox are not going to be more expensive. just look at specs the PS5 requires. I also expect other companies to make drives for Xbox as time goes by. im not worried.

What do you mean by PS5 branded? The plan currently is for PS5 to use PC drives (as long as they pass certification)

What do you mean by PS5 branded? The plan currently is for PS5 to use PC drives (as long as they pass certification)
That certification needs to be printed somewhere. It's essentially branded.

Cerny said that SSDs need to be certified for it to work with PS5. You can't just pick a Samsung 980 Pro and stick it in your PS5, at least that is the case right now until we can actually test random off the shelf SSDs. Worst case is that the PS5 won't recognize a non-certified drive.

Whatever the case may be I also expect these SSDs to be more expensive than any regular PC NVME Gen4 SSD..

ManaByte

Some people don't know what NVMe is.

Rikkori

Hmm, buy a 1tb ssd nvme or a 12tb external hdd for the same money? Let's see if people's laziness prevails.

Bryank75

Banned
So will the PS5's be. But there will be more than one manufacturer who will get certified by Sony.
I was under the impression that any SSD of that speed or great would be compatible as long as it fits the port.... I believe tat is what they said!?

ManaByte

I was under the impression that any SSD of that speed or great would be compatible as long as it fits the port.... I believe tat is what they said!?

The only SSDs of that speed are NMVe.

Do you even know what a NMVe SSD looks like? This is one:

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

Neither console manufacturer is going to let someone open their system and install one of those. It's a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Instead both will have drives like these Seagate ones that you can plug into an expansion slot.

Bryank75

Banned
The only SSDs of that speed are NMVe.

Do you even know what a NMVe SSD looks like? This is one:

samsung-960-pro-m2-nvme-1tb-ssd-hard-drive-1280x853.jpg

Neither console manufacturer is going to let someone open their system and install one of those. It's a ESD disaster waiting to happen.

Instead both will have drives like these Seagate ones that you can plug into an expansion slot.
I'm curious to see....

Banned

while that is true, not every SSD will be compatible, and if you don't want to have a gamble with every SSD you buy, you have to wait and look at the list of tested SSDs that Sony will apparently start creating once they found one that works

Rossco EZ

i guess a cheaper option (if these will be expensive) is to use an external to store games on, then just copy the games you want to play as of when you feel like it to the internal ssd. that’s my plan anyway, i have a 500gb external ssd at the moment that i plan to use.

Top Bottom