• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate Xbox series expansion 512gb card 69.99 at target

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Dang, too late. Betting this is discontinued since it was discounted and not in stock anywhere. Maybe a storage adapter announcement is coming soon?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Isa

kapshin

At what point is it not easier having a mass storage to move games to and from than having a bunch of essentially memory cards laying around?
That's what I do, it's not a big inconvenience considering the cost and how many games I'm actually playing in a similar time frame. If I want to play a game on my storage only drive, just select to move it to do something else for 5-10 minutes and it's done, for me that's is just fine.

Beechos

At what point is it not easier having a mass storage to move games to and from than having a bunch of essentially memory cards laying around?
Thats pretty much what i do now i have a 14tb external that i store all my pruchased games and gamepass games. This just a cheap option for me to have more games avail at a given time.

DaGwaphics

Hopefully things like this will show Seagate that it could do more in volume if they got the price down some. The extra storage does give you a nice bit of breathing room, especially on XSS. I haven't had to think about storage since I added a 1TB drive (got a solid deal on it used).

If they're able to drop the price by this much and still sell for what's assumedly a profit margin, it kind of shows how greedy the pricing for these are at $199. Probably something like a 250% - 300% profit margin for them.

BlackTron

Man that's super tempting. If I buy one of these I'm never getting another one and 512 is kinda small...yet I feel like it might be all I really need to create the needed breathing room.

One of the benefits is that it uses up the special slot instead of one of your USB ports.

NickFire

My experience in the 360 days tells me this is a clearance price, and the larger models will get a price drop in the next couple of months. Would also expect a potential larger version, rendering the 1TB version the smallest in production going forward.

Kilau

Gold Member
Not really, SN530 M.2 2230 SSDs are quite pricey, mostly due to the form factor.
The internal drive is 2230 but I don't think the external is. It uses a CFexpress connection and it's all on one PCB without an adapter.

No way the 1tb will be $100
That's just how prices and economics work with electronics... they go down over time as things become easier and cheaper to manufacture. Look at TVs, game consoles, phones, etc. The more of them they make the cheaper they get, as they become more efficient. It might take a couple years but it'll for sure happen.

Reactions: Von

Zathalus

The internal drive is 2230 but I don't think the external is. It uses a CFexpress connection and it's all on one PCB without an adapter.
Both drives are identical. Hence the reason no other drives works externally, even with an adaptor. The external drives are expensive because 2230 plus CFexpress isn't cheap.

DaGwaphics

That's probably what adds to the price a bit, since the housing and non-standard PCB make it a completely custom part. $100 - $125-$130 wouldn't really be bad for the 1TB.

Kilau

Gold Member
Both drives are identical. Hence the reason no other drives works externally, even with an adaptor. The external drives are expensive because 2230 plus CFexpress isn't cheap.
They aren't identical. The external does not have a standard 2230 SSD inside like the console does. It's a custom CFexpress with an NVMe SSD controller on it.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I just want a 4tb expansion card.
Here you go:
QlQuanBn

DaGwaphics

remember when MS said third party suppliers would make external SSD cards for the consoles
519.png

It's possible that someday we could see some, depending on how long Seagate has it all locked down. Or maybe MS could make a drive caddie that would allow standard NVMe drives to be connected (though I'd much rather prefer standardized drives, tbh). At any rate, hopefully they are starting to mark these down at holidays etc. that way you can get them for less than full price.

kapshin

I think I'm ok with a USB SSD for all non SX optimized games and keeping the main drive for the new stuff only for now, these prices are a bit steep :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Yeah similar I just use a 4TB drive (already had), I just transfer stuff when needed. I haven't really felt the need to get one of these, I only play a handful of games at a time so for me it's not worth it.

Top Bottom