• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate confirms first PS5 compatible SSD - Firecuda 530

Mr Moose

Seems like it's the PC version that received some patches. The consoles didn't have anything yet from what I can find.
I think there's been 2 updates (PS5 is version 1.002.000). Maybe day one patches.
Edit: Apparently updated to fix some shitty issue they had:
We are pleased to announce that we have started to distribute a patch for Resident Evil Village for PlayStation®5 to fix the issue that some players' uploading data is not reflected on Resident Evil.net.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
It's frustrating because this is a feature that should have been working Day 1. There is NO reason VRR shouldn't be working.
VRR=/=Freesync

Freesync only has working APIs for Linux and Windows, PlayStation uses a fork of FreeBSD so it’s not just turning on a feature.

VRR via HDMI 2.1 is implemented at a hardware level almost like a open source Gsync, I’m not surprised there isn’t a version for it but I do think whatever is stopping AMD from further supporting Linux and FreeBSD other than historically not giving a shit needs to rectified because at this point a software implementation is a much quicker fix till they get the real thing going.

Xbox Seagate SSD card - 1 TB @ 2.4 GB/s with 3 year warranty ... costs $220.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD - 1 TB @ 7 GB/s with 5 year warranty ... costs $200.

Proprietary storage costs more for less. Bad value. No other options either, or limited at best.
Let them wait for the 8TB drive that will work on the xbox machines.

Xbox Seagate SSD card - 1 TB @ 2.4 GB/s with 3 year warranty ... costs $220.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD - 1 TB @ 7 GB/s with 5 year warranty ... costs $200.

Proprietary storage costs more for less. Bad value. No other options either, or limited at best.

According to some, some slightly slower drives will work fine so there can be additional savings there.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Huh?

The external SSD you buy on Series X can play every Series X game in existence and the future. You're not making much sense, the real difference is that the PS5 drive is of better value because it's faster, however the word "VALUE" changes when both are executing the same results for their respective machines. Series X games running exactly like Series X games would on the internal drive, and PS5 games running exactly the same as they would on the internal drive, so it's just paper value since from the gamer's perspective, they're both achieving the exact same thing.

On a side note, speaking of speed and value, let's take the recently analyzed game: The Ascent. On Xbox One S and Xbox One X, it takes 2 minutes and 47 seconds to load (Holy crap) that's almost 3 minutes of your life, meanwhile on Series S and X, it takes just 27 seconds to load, that is a major major difference and the major part of the benefit of having an SSD, and as we've seen in loading comparisons, the PS5 and Series X are not that different when it comes to loading, both offer an incredible upgrade from last gen and THAT is what gamers are seeking when they add these external drives.
Let me spell it out.

The original analogy I was responding to was about 2 cars.

Car 1 represented Xbox SSD expansion storage, the less fast car.

Car 2 represented the PS5 storage expansion, a faster car.

In my extension of the original analogy, I was suggesting that Car 1 can only be driven in 2 very specific places (the series X and S). Whereas Car 2 can be driven in a much wider variety of places (any devices that support the socket)

Conclusion: Car analogies and people are both a bit stupid.

Last edited:
Let me spell it out.

The original analogy I was responding to was about 2 cars.

Car 1 represented Xbox SSD expansion storage, the less fast car.

Car 2 represented the PS5 storage expansion, a faster car.

In my extension of the original analogy, I was suggesting that Car 1 can only be driven in 2 very specific places (the series X and S). Whereas Car 2 can be driven in a much wider variety of places (any devices that support the socket)

Conclusion: Car analogies and people are both a bit stupid.
Bur cars are much faster than people, and they barely need people to drive around anymore.... Well that does not make much sense either.

They come in all shape and sizes.
From this:
c2QtMDEuanBn

To drives that are to be liquid cooled:
bjR4LnBuZw

and gamer drives:
RW9zM2FzdmIuanBn
I'm specifically talking about this drive by Seagate.

Mr Moose

I'm specifically talking about this drive by Seagate.

Capacity
4TB
Dimensions: H x W x D
3.58 mm/0.141 in x 22.15 mm/0.872 in x 3.58mm/0.141in

Capacity
2TB

Capacity
1TB
2.23 mm/0.088 in x 22.15 mm/0.866 in x 2.23mm/0.088in

Capacity
500GB
2.23 mm/0.088 in x 22.15 mm/0.872 in x 2.23mm/0.088in
Edit: This seems to be without the heatsink, but there is some size differences.
With heatsink:

Capacity
4TB
10.74 mm/0.423 in x 24.2 mm/0.953 in x 9.6mm/0.378in

Capacity
2TB
10.1 mm/0.398 in x 24.2 mm/0.953 in x 9.6mm/0.378in

Capacity
1TB
9.6 mm/0.378 in x 24.2 mm/0.953 in x 9.6mm/0.378in

Capacity
500GB
9.6 mm/0.378 in x 24.2 mm/0.953 in x 9.6mm/0.378in

Last edited:

Capacity
4TB

Capacity
2TB

Capacity
1TB
2.23 mm/0.088 in x 22.15 mm/0.866 in x 2.23mm/0.088in

Capacity
500GB
2.23 mm/0.088 in x 22.15 mm/0.872 in x 2.23mm/0.088in
Edit: This seems to be without the heatsink, but there is some size differences.
Price wise, doesn't make much sense between the SKU's

kingfey

Banned
You sold your PS5?

It's annoying it wasn't available day one, but I lived quite well with the crappy external so far :D
I TB xbox one S. I want more space, but I am too lazy to get new one, so Ii delete games, and download new games, then delete those new games, and download the old games.

Also, can you send me that ps5? I need a 2nd one asap.

I TB xbox one S. I want more space, but I am too lazy to get new one, so Ii delete games, and download new games, then delete those new games, and download the old games.

Also, can you send me that ps5? I need a 2nd one asap.
No I need my six PS5s because honestly I refuse to use USB storage and I wanted more space to I got a couple from a good scalpers near me, he took 50$ off of the last one I bought from him! really cool guy!

Stooky

Oh absolutely! they're overpriced for sure. I'm not biting until they drop significantly. For now I bought a 5TB drive, install all my BC and not optimized Series X games, and those that are Series X optimized, I swap in and out using the "Move" option, I rather deal with that minor hassle then to pay these "professional" scalpers.
Im curious when Xbox is going to drop the ssd price. Currently its about $50 overpriced.

sendit

Half the speed? Hahahaha don’t make me laugh. If we were using this on pc then I’d agree with you, but we’re talking consoles here. Will battlefield load twice as fast on ps5 versus Xbox?? No. Therefore that point is mute.
A 5 year “limited” warranty. Do you actually know what that covers??

I think you have this in reverse. The PS5 was designed around to take advantage of these highspeed SSDs. The PC.... not so much.

We are literally now loading faster than cartridges with much higher fidelity in assets.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Yeah man since launch the Xbox 1tb card has been on sale regularly in the UK for around £170 (down from £220). It’s£179 right now on Amazon and Curry’s.

Xbox need to get some cheaper 500gb cards out for hopefully the £100 mark.
US it's still $220 for the 1TB expansion on Amazon. Just checked. Total BS that they cannot offer cheaper ones.

Klayzer

They are mugs, end of story.

Half the speed for double the money but yet these clowns are in every thread possible saying "but my proprietary drive...". What are these guys, lapsed Vita fans?

It's like they don't realise the fact that they could be enjoying sub $100 per TB prices if they had the freedom to slot a standard format drive in their system.
They fuckin turn everything into a console war tit for tat.

Last edited:

hroerekr

From a software development standpoint, the external storage feature would rank low at launch. There aren't enough games to make that feature useful/necessary to more than a small fraction of consumers. It would no doubt have been a lower priority item than patches and bug fixes, most of which the end-user never finds out about, but are part of the regular system updates that have happened in that time.

I agree with you.
They were not constrained by external forces. It was only a matter of internal development and priorities.
I wish they have made it clear with a Feature Road Map.

I don’t understand what you mean sorry?

I own both and the difference in loading is negligible. To be honest for single player multiplatform games the PS5 falls behind due to quick resume.

You can also just watch Youtube comparisons of loading times.

How does quick resume replace data transfer speeds?

I always thought it was something similar like save states in an emulator.

I think the faster bit is recommended.

my biggest concern here is the 5.5gig. Smells a bit like Sony has lowered their baseline, and am suspecting fucking PC initiative.
They are definitely going PC route, to showcase their games in the best light. Not sure why you assume the lowered specs have anything to do with PC? Not sure if you are unaware of DDR5 coming soon, even better GPU's, etc, and much faster SSD's than what ps5 can support.

Basically, Sony's downgrade in specs have absolutely NOTHING to do with PC.

sendit

They are definitely going PC route, to showcase their games in the best light. Not sure why you assume the lowered specs have anything to do with PC? Not sure if you are unaware of DDR5 coming soon, even better GPU's, etc, and much faster SSD's than what ps5 can support.

Exactly this. Everyone who has a PC will upgrade to the latest DDR5, GPU, and SSD. Once again you've hit your target on the mark.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Seagate products are absolute garbage and not worth buying.
Seagate infamously had very high failure rates on their mechanical drives/HDDs, but that was years ago. Are you saying this is now carried over to their solid state products as well? IDK, I haven't used their stuff in ages.

Last edited:

I don't know if Sony will suddenly stop showing their games running off a PS5.

I don't know if Sony will suddenly stop showing their games running off a PS5.
Maybe, maybe not. But end users will benefit nonetheless. It's a great move for GAMERS across the board. Some of us would like to play in the best quality and framerates, and some would rather pay less up front. Everyone's a winner here.

Maybe, maybe not. But end users will benefit nonetheless. It's a great move for GAMERS across the board. Some of us would like to play in the best quality and framerates, and some would rather pay less up front. Everyone's a winner here.

I don't believe so since consoles are still their cash cow. It's going to take a lot for them to abandon the PS5 as a lead platform. It also makes sense given where the majority of their sales are.

I don't believe so since consoles are still their cash cow. It's going to take a lot for them to abandon the PS5 as a lead platform. It also makes sense given where the majority of their sales are.
I wouldn't say they would abandon ps5 as their lead platform. They will just add extra performance and visuals for the PC players, like all of the ports they gave released thus far, ex: unlocked framerates, DLSS support, etc.

I wouldn't say they would abandon ps5 as their lead platform. They will just add extra performance and visuals for the PC players, like all of the ports they gave released thus far, ex: unlocked framerates, DLSS support, etc.

I'm just saying that the console will be their top priority given where most of their customers are. I doubt we will see a Sony event focused on PC instead of the PS5.

I'm not saying that you can't play those ports at better settings than on PC. If a game comes later on a platform it will he the PC. If a 1st party title gets revealed it will probably be on the PS5. If a platform missing out on a game it will be the PC. That's all I'm saying.

I'm just saying that the console will be their top priority given where most of their customers are. I doubt we will see a Sony event focused on PC instead of the PS5.

I'm not saying that you can't play those ports at better settings than on PC. If a game comes later on a platform it will he the PC. If a 1st party title gets revealed it will probably be on the PS5. If a platform missing out on a game it will be the PC. That's all I'm saying.
I can agree with some things there, ps5 will more than likely be their main focus for now, until they release day and date with PC. At that point, games shown will more than likely be PC footage, as it will have the better visuals and performance. But either way, Sony will have their logo on it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

They aren't buying out studios to do PC ports for no reason, or just to release older games. That wouldn't make sense to buy them out, just to do that. Bookmark my post, as there will be day and date releases to PC, for ps5 games. And there's nothing wrong with this move, as GAMERS will benefit from this move. Only the WARRIORS can be upset from this.

Last edited:

PhaseJump

Banned
Seagate infamously had very high failure rates on their mechanical drives/HDDs, but that was years ago. Are you saying this is now carried over to their solid state products as well? IDK, I haven't used their stuff in ages.

Absolutely.

I avoided them for almost 20 years, recently bought a bunch of new drives a few years ago. 2 of the Firecuda drives I bought were brand new, and needed to be RMA'd because they were totally dead. 1 of their mechanical Barracuda drives lasted a week before it started ticking. I have an external/portable Seagate USB mechanical drive that ticks and refuses to mount from time to time, with only light usage for backups. Might have mounted it 30 times over it's lifespan, and it's already causing problems.

I can agree with some things there, ps5 will more than likely be their main focus for now, until they release day and date with PC. At that point, games shown will more than likely be PC footage, as it will have the better visuals and performance. But either way, Sony will have their logo on it, and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

They aren't buying out studios to do PC ports for no reason, or just to release older games. That wouldn't make sense to buy them out, just to do that. Bookmark my post, as there will be day and date releases to PC, for ps5 games. And there's nothing wrong with this move, as GAMERS will benefit from this move. Only the WARRIORS can be upset from this.

Well they can't advertise it as PS5 footage which would hurt the console itself. I don't believe they will do that anytime soon since the majority of sales will be on the console.

Sony is primarily known for their console not their PC releases.

I am Ok starting out with a smaller NVME for the PS5 , when the larger drives are available at a lower price in a few years I will take the drive which is in the PS5 and move it to my PC , NAS or sell it. The new PCI 5 drives are going to drop in september so over the next few years people will be selling their PCI4's to upgrade and that will be another opportunity to pick up some high cap PCI4 drives cheaper.

vpance

Absolutely.

I avoided them for almost 20 years, recently bought a bunch of new drives a few years ago. 2 of the Firecuda drives I bought were brand new, and needed to be RMA'd because they were totally dead. 1 of their mechanical Barracuda drives lasted a week before it started ticking. I have an external/portable Seagate USB mechanical drive that ticks and refuses to mount from time to time, with only light usage for backups. Might have mounted it 30 times over it's lifespan, and it's already causing problems.

Also had 2 Firecudas die on me. RMA'd for a replacement and then that one died. Still got another one though which finally didn't die within a few months.

Well they can't advertise it as PS5 footage which would hurt the console itself. I don't believe they will do that anytime soon since the majority of sales will be on the console.

Sony is primarily known for their console not their PC releases.
Sony haven't had PC sales till just recently, so there's no point in guessing, as no one saw their games coming to PC in the first place. It won't sabotage their console sales, but it will compliment them. PC and consoles don't really compete with one another, so I'm not sure why you think that would hurt the console?

Sony haven't had PC sales till just recently, so there's no point in guessing, as no one saw their games coming to PC in the first place. It won't sabotage their console sales, but it will compliment them. PC and consoles don't really compete with one another, so I'm not sure why you think that would hurt the console?

Because people will doubt that the game looks good on the PS5 if they don't see it running on the system. That's how it can hurt the console because if they hide the console version that can worry some people.

If they show it looking great on the console people will automatically know that the PC version will be even better.

Top Bottom