• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate confirms first PS5 compatible SSD - Firecuda 530

Outrunner

PlayStation is apparently testing out compatibility. Users in the Beta program can start testing the feature.

Last edited:

FranXico

Pretty sure Samsung already is selling one with sufficient specs.

Having said that, nothing is compatible until there is a fw update that enables the port.

Last edited:
The form factor of these drives is not standardized afaik. Some have heatsink, some don't, etc.
I meant this one specifically, as the prices range wider and wider as the storage sizes go up. (2TB being the only exception)

o2LhhiG.png

Mithos

From the link... Australian dollars but still a big nope from me even when translated into usd or sek...

Code:
500GB                    $199 -->   ~149 us$ --> ~125 euro
500GB (with heatsink)    $239 -->   ~179 us$ --> ~149 euro
1TB                      $349 -->   ~259 us$ --> ~218 euro
1TB (with heatsink)      $399 -->   ~295 us$ --> ~249 euro
2TB                      $729 -->   ~540 us$ --> ~455 euro
2TB (with heatsink)      $819 -->   ~605 us$ --> ~510 euro
4TB                    $1,429 --> ~1,059 us$ --> ~892 euro
4TB (with heatsink)    $1,499 --> ~1,110 us$ --> ~935 euro

Edit: Updated with approx, us$ and euro prices.

Last edited:

FranXico

To anybody who is interested in these SSDs, do NOT buy them solely for upgrading your PS5.

We don't know for sure if they will really be compatible. Vendors have been exploiting FOMO by saying "works with PS5", but nobody can say that as a matter of fact until the port is enabled.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Well, the Xbox solution now seems good compared to these prices and how long is taking for Sony simply activate a damn port.
Yeah man since launch the Xbox 1tb card has been on sale regularly in the UK for around £170 (down from £220). It’s£179 right now on Amazon and Curry’s.

Xbox need to get some cheaper 500gb cards out for hopefully the £100 mark.

Last edited:
doesnt matter.
Thats how SSD were priced.
They were priced based on speeds, not working fine or not.
And how this helps the PS5 case? The feature is still not available and requires you to pay more for the same storage (if compared to the Xbox solution). Does not matter if these are faster, in the end both will work as their respective internal storage and so far the PS5 solution hasn't shown a massive improvement over the slower Xbox solution.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
And how this helps the PS5 case? The feature is still not available and requires you to pay more for the same storage (if compared to the Xbox solution). Does not matter if these are faster, in the end both will work as their respective internal storage and so far the PS5 solution hasn't shown a massive improvement over the slower Xbox solution.
First party exclusive like Ratchet and clank, Returnal, Demon Souls, and some third party games like Resident evil Village actually utilize it.
Not alot of game support of course, but PS5 is still required to install the appropriate SSD to match with the default SSD chip in PS5.

Last edited:
I dont understand why some people are pissed it's taking this long to allow users to install their own ssds. Sony did say it would be some time after launch. Sony also said the same thing about vrr if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the reason they haven't made the ssd available yet because they're still testing to make damn sure any appropriately specc'd ssd will work?

Until then, I'm happy moving my games to my external drive for cold storage.

Also, i appreciate the fact that Sony didn't opt for a proprietary drive. Proprietary storage on the Vita was a dumb idea.

Thirty7ven

Banned

Then buy an Xbox instead of complaint online that they are not one and the same? Or if you are feeling brave enough, muster the brain power to realize that this is one solution that is 20$ more expensive… there will be others, prices will compete and will go down with time.

That said I don’t want you to have a stroke, so take it easy on the head.

silent head

It works just fine.

$109.99
read write speeds up to 3,500 3,000 MB s

PS5 solution work perfect with pc / laptop....

what about xbox solution ?

Last edited:
space is never really an issue for me. i usually play one game at a time and once im done, i never play it again. sony do need to hurry up and activate that port though.

Last edited:

TheGrat1

I am certain that Cerny said they would be independently verifying the drives that are compatible. I would caution anyone thinking of upgrading to keep their finger off of the trigger until Lord Cerny™ gives his blessing.

Reactions: Isa
Then buy an Xbox instead of complaint online that they are not one and the same? Or if you are feeling brave enough, muster the brain power to realize that this is one solution that is 20$ more expensive… there will be others, prices will compete and will go down with time.

That said I don’t want you to have a stroke, so take it easy on the head.
Well, and you are assuming that there will be no alternative on the Xbox side even though MS said that there will be? Just remember that the Ps5 was launched almost 1 year ago and still nothing. It must be very hard to activate a port. Btw, at the time the Ps5 was launched there were already on the market ssds with the spec required, even surpassing what the Ps5 is offering. I really hope Sony stops giving excuses and be clear about the internal memory expansion, when it will be available and what are the recommended models.

Reactions: Isa

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
space is never really an issue for me. i usually play one game at a time and once im done, i never play it again. sony do need to hurry up and activate that port though.
True.

I've a 4TB HDD that I used as external storage with my PS4. I use the same to cold-store PS5 games. If I want to replay a game, I just move it to PS5 and play it. It takes 10 minutes. I can do it when I'm having lunch or taking a dump.

It really is no big deal, and I genuinely don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with external storage (either in PS5 or XSX). Yes, it is a bit convenient, but is it $220 - $250 convenient? Not for me. External HDD is a much better option.

Last edited:

John Wick

I dont understand why some people are pissed it's taking this long to allow users to install their own ssds. Sony did say it would be some time after launch. Sony also said the same thing about vrr if I'm not mistaken.

Maybe the reason they haven't made the ssd available yet because they're still testing to make damn sure any appropriately specc'd ssd will work?

Also, i appreciate the fact that Sony didn't opt for a proprietary drive. Proprietary storage on the Vita was a dumb idea.
Sony have literally one guy working on this and VRR. So I'm not pissed. I mean Sony are only an indie company. How could they possibly do this any faster?
Sooooon!

Shmunter

Yeah, cold storage has quenched the thirst for internal storage. But more is always better, will splash at some point when on sale.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

It's frustrating because this is a feature that should have been working Day 1. There is NO reason VRR shouldn't be working.

True.

I've a 4TB HDD that I used as external storage with my PS4. I use the same to cold-store PS5 games. If I want to replay a game, I just move it to PS5 and play it. It takes 10 minutes. I can do it when I'm having lunch or taking a dump.

It really is no big deal, and I genuinely don't understand why so many people are so obsessed with external storage (either in PS5 or XSX). Yes, it is a bit convenient, and is it $220 - $250 convenient? Not for me. External HDD is a much better option.

i guess people just like to store up all the games they own and be able to access them immediately when they want. maybe they like to play 4-5 games at a time? i dont know. i play one at a time and i never replay games either so no need to keep it installed but thats just me.

KAL2006

Banned
I think the cheaper option is to buy a external SSD on sale for PS4 games. Then you will free up that internal where you don't really need to get a expensive SSD.

I got a 1TB on black Friday for £65

Last edited:

Mithos

i guess people just like to store up all the games they own and be able to access them immediately when they want. maybe they like to play 4-5 games at a time? i dont know. i play one at a time and i never replay games either so no need to keep it installed but thats just me.
Or maybe downloading 50gb take 5-10hrs for some people.

I'd probably be fine if I had internet download speeds that made a 50gb game download and install in sub 30 minutes.

Shmunter

Nobody posted this yet?

MEGATON!

Which M.2 SSDs can be used with a PS5 console?

It’s important that you only use a supported M.2 SSD to expand your PS5 console storage. Make sure you’re using an M.2 SSD that meets the following requirements. As this is a beta, please note the final specifications may change ahead of the official system software release.
M.2 SSD requirements for PS5 consoles

Interface: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD

Capacity: 250GB – 4TB

Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.

Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended

Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)

Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.

kyliethicc

Well, the Xbox solution now seems good compared to these prices and how long is taking for Sony simply activate a damn port.
Sure, but it's less than half the performance so it's only logical that it's cheaper.
Looks like I was proven right from the very beginning. MS went with the right choice for launch. I do expect these prices to come down quicker than the Xbox cards though.

Xbox Seagate SSD card - 1 TB @ 2.4 GB/s with 3 year warranty ... costs $220.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 SSD - 1 TB @ 7 GB/s with 5 year warranty ... costs $200.

Proprietary storage costs more for less. Bad value. No other options either, or limited at best.

Last edited:
Top Bottom