• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate - 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S Is $220 / 270€

Verchod

£220 in the UK. Fuck that. I can buy a 1TB NVME GEN 4 SSD for about £160. Even if I then bought an external USB 3 enclosure for it, it would still cost me less that 220.

Reactions: GHG

-Arcadia-

Banned
I expected something like this, given how much Sony and Microsoft have been talking up these drives. It sucks, but I’m hoping that by the time I really feel like I need one (I delete single player games once finished), it’ll be at a more normal price.

Definitely finding a cheapo hard drive to plug in for screenshots and video. No need to take up anymore of the SSD than necessary.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Just wondering, where is Bernkastel Bernkastel at to eat some crow?
Dont you have anything better than to rely on me for your insecurities? Or are your peers not providing you enough emotional support?
It's less than half the speed of PC SSDs. Nothing custom about it other than a plastic shell. History repeating itself.
PC is not a console with specified specs. Tell me which PCIe 4 SSD at the same speed costs half of this? The Expansion card uses the same SSD as the one inside XSX which is as custom as you can get.

Last edited:
Sony still hasn’t said how you’ll upgrade the drive and there’s no visible expansion slot on the PS5.

Maybe it isn't visible?

ps4-262db.jpg

It could be a cover that you slide off like the original PS4.

sony-playstation-5a-1.jpg

Last edited:

Three

PC is not a console with specified specs. Tell me which PCIe 4 SSD at the same speed costs half of this?
What a dumb thing to say. What does that even mean? Of course it isn't.

I can show you an SSD with 2.7x the speed for the same price, what is the difference between that and showing you one with the same speed at half the cost.

I'm referring back to your posts:
What you were saying:
You think a 5.5 GB/sec NVMe SSD drive will cost anything less than 300 USD?
Those XSX memory cards will definitely be cheaper. Unlike 360 HDDs these are being advertised as memory cards and will be priced accordingly.

7GB/s nvme SSD $229 £221 (can be found for £189)

2.4GB/s xbox SSD $220 £220

Less than 300 dollars for NVMe, faster than 5.5GB/s, xbox proprietary drive barely cheaper than a much higher specced standard drive.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

I can show you an SSD with 2.7x the speed for the same price, what is the difference between that and showing you one with the same speed at half the cost.

What you were saying:

Less than 300 dollars for NVMe, faster than 5.5GB/s, xbox proprietary drive barely cheaper than a much higher specced standard drive.
Its still 4 channel though. Lets see how much those 12 channel certified SSDs cost when they are revealed. Both the consoles have expensive SSD solutions. As for that post, I was replying to you
The proprietary one will be less pricey you think? Did the 360 hdds teach you nothing?
Here is a more complete post from me
I think Microsoft will give some specifications for licensed 3rd party to create enclosure for the Xbox Series X hard drive to create the expansion card. People dissing it for price and playing console wars didnt realize one important aspect - Microsoft is not selling the expansion card, Seagate is. If theres one thing they learned from Xbox One its that, 3rd parties can make cheaper and better accessories than Microsoft, which is why they advertise PDP Talon Remote Xbox Remote and stopped manufacturing there own official one. Part of the expansion card is the XSX internal storage which is produced in large quantities and bought cheaply to keep XSX price reasonable. As, the price of manufacturing XSX will go down, so will the expansion card, contrary to what GAF thinks.
Seriously I forgot your post in the XVA thread. If those certified SSD's cost more than the Xbox expansion card, will you accept your defeat like DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! ?

Last edited:

Pantz

Went ahead and ordered one anyway. 2 TB really is the sweet spot for not having to shuffle stuff around too often. Going to justify it by doing some odd jobs for extra cash.

spookyfish

Remember when people were saying it will be $99 :messenger_weary::messenger_ok:

And those of us who remember the HDD pricing of the 360 said, you wait, at least $200?

Feels so long ago, but it wasn't.

I remember. "Oh, no more than $125." Uh huh. Sure.

EDIT: And DAMMIT. I want to get one.

Last edited:

What you were saying:

Pure ownage.:messenger_beaming:(y)

tillbot8

Banned
The price will come down in time, we all knew this was not going to cheap both SSDs are top tier and a near TB for what we are getting for the price of the consoles is actually the best price point we have ever seen storage wise in Console history. Not ideal sure but I'm fine with juggling my drive for a few years or so for what I'm actually getting. Fair compromise to me!

Last edited:

Compsiox

Banned
Sony still hasn’t said how you’ll upgrade the drive and there’s no visible expansion slot on the PS5.
If they're literally having people buy their own nvme ssds off the shelf then you'll definitely have to open up the console. I very much doubt they can make that seamless.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Suddenly I’m not so sure the XBOX Series S is such a good deal now when you will inevitably run out of memory on it by installing like 3 games.
Series S is not a good deal if the gamer is going to use up the 512 gb and need more SSD storage.

Add the cost of the Seagate 1 tb card and your overall cost is the same as an X. But you do have an extra 512 gb of SSD storage.

I see S being best suited for someone who won't download tons of games and is willing to hot swap files between HDD and SSD when SSD capacity maxes out, and don't care about the most powerful expensive system.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I doubt the price will change for it. Xbox 360 HDD's never really moved in price.
They did when Slim came out. MS and stores had to dump the old HDD shells. I got a 250 gb HDD for my fat whitey for $75 CDN.

But I get what you're saying. It's a simple SSD slot which won't change from model to model.

Best hope is MS is true to their word about options later for bigger sizes and more makers making them. But for now it's a big Seagate promo.

Javthusiast

Banned
Thanks. Instead of buying these overpriced drives for the new consoles I will once again do the uninstall shit that I do now on my base ps4.

thelastword

Banned
That's almost the price of the XBOX Series S and almost half the price of the Series X.....Good luck with that, for only 1TB and lower speeds than the competition.....I think the competition's faster drives will be cheaper, that's proprietary for you, you've got to try to make your money back. Sony only has to certify the regular SSD's that meets the speed and standard for their I/O controller....I think the majority of new gen 7 GB/S drives should work fine on PS5 as you need the overhead for it work properly on PS5's twelve gate controller...

That's almost the price of the XBOX Series S and almost half the price of the Series X.....Good luck with that, for only 1TB and lower speeds than the competition.....I think the competition's faster drives will be cheaper, that's proprietary for you, you've got to try to make your money back. Sony only has to certify the regular SSD's that meets the speed and standard for their I/O controller....I think the majority of new gen 7 GB/S drives should work fine on PS5 as you need the overhead for it work properly on PS5's twelve gate controller...

Not they will. They are already cheaper.
Samsung 980 pro is cheaper faster and has a five year warranty.

I know you have me on ignore but I'll quote you anyway, you dumb shill.

It's 240€ in Germany
250€ in Austria
250€ in Spain
270€ in France

Do I need to go on? You're nothing but a clueless coffee fetching MS intern, or maybe the janitor that cleans Phil's toilet.

giphy.gif

Skifi28

Might as well buy a second console and use that SSD. And you get some extra parts to have just in case, or you can sell them.

That's expensive, there is no way the SSD is that fast to justify that much money. This is where PC is better, there is a whole host of companies you can buy SSD's from, so the price is low.

Top Bottom