• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seagate - 1TB Game Drive for Xbox Series X and Series S Is $220 / 270€

Aidah

Saw this one coming. Proprietary storage gonna have people locked into this shit for the generation while the non proprietary drives for PS5 will come down in price pretty quickly. I do think the PS5 drives will be more expensive initially though.
The new Samsung 980 Pro (a 7GB/s pcie 4 NVMe drive that will probably be good for PS5) will retail for $230 for 1TB. So about the same as this despite being a MUCH higher end drive, and will go down in price much faster than this. And what the hell is that 270 euro, that's just ridiculous, it has to be a mistake.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Wait until the news hits that PS5 can only accept CERTIFIED SSD drives, and that list of CERTIFIED DRIVES is very short and also as expensive.

This gen is starting out REALLY rough.

jaysius

Banned
Dude the 980 Pro is already cheaper than the Series S/X external card...

DUDE it's not stated if that's CERTIFIED or NOT. Cerny has stated the drive needs to be CERTIFIED. No doubt it'll be a different SKU.

DUDE I also posted about this earlier:

The 980 PRO SSD will come in several sizes, starting at 250GB and going all the way up to 2TB. Pricing starts at $89.99 for 250GB of storage and goes up to $229.99 for the 1TB model. The 2TB version will be available later this year.

229.99 is actually $9 MORE than the Xbox storage.

Multiple sources CONFIRM these prices, and again, this isn't "PS5 CERTIFIED".

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
DUDE it's not stated if that's CERTIFIED or NOT. Cerny has stated the drive needs to be CERTIFIED. No doubt it'll be a different SKU.

229.99 is actually $9 MORE than the Xbox storage.

Multiple sources CONFIRM these prices, and again, this isn't "PS5 CERTIFIED".

That drive is twice as fast as the Xbox drives.

Certification means they have tested it and verified it performs as expected in the PS5, not what you think. There will be a list of off the shelf drives that are compatible as and when they become available.

jaysius

Banned

Certification means they have tested it and verified it performs as expected in the PS5, not what you think. There will be a list of off the shelf drives that are compatible as and when they become available.

Just wait and see on this "certified" non-sense.

Twice as fast... ok moving the bar again sure. But for the intents and purposes which is EXPANDING THE CONSOLES CAPACITY, it's more expensive in real world dollars by $9 it doesn't matter if it's twice as fast, it's the only way to expand said console's memory. That'd be like comparing the memory speed of Gamecube memory cards to the speed of PS2 Memory cards and trying to make a value comparison, it wouldn't matter WHICH ONE is FASTER, they're what is REQUIRED.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just store your next gen games on an external usb hard drive after you're bored with playing them. This kind of stuff only affects the minds of hoarders.
Word. I used to have a 12TB external hard drive plugged into my Xbox with the goal of having every game I owned installed and ready to play at a moment's notice. Turns out, that's incredibly cumbersome and counter intuitive so I unplugged the drive and formatted it and just stuck with the storage that's on my One X which also happens to be 1TB.

I tend to jump around to different games a lot, but even I have a hard time filling up the 1TB drive in the One X with stuff I'm actually playing. I guess it helps that I don't play Call of Duty. I guess it also helps that I have fast internet and can easily re-download anything on a whim.

Last edited:

So you can't say for certain that the drive that is better than the Xbox storage would even work on the the PS5. Is that even a requirement for your argument or is it just about attacking the price of this certified Xbox storage option? Yes the drive is expensive but we are certain it works.

jaysius

Banned
Ok we will wait.

In the meantime we can talk about this drive being horribly overpriced for what it is.

Deal?

It's not "horribly overpriced" DEAL because it's $9 LESS than the PS5's SSD EXPANSION, you need to do APPLES TO APPLES not Apples to fucking potatos or w/e the fuck throwing speed into a conversation about expanding capacity in a closed system does.

The only thing you can look at is $/gb and in that category the Series S/X is slightly less.

Last edited:

alstrike

Certified? Are you really gonna use that here?

Hhs8qqp_KqltZFDnGHOPEIDnVPOqO89QSxY3h7aq3cssBTKX6vsaj7FqU3JUTuVq6UpP0JJsjJO5JUx1bMDMy-Byk8I0UNkXCnx4trGGAp7hJKjjc18xhjUssV5UN_gJqRU

Quoting someone that's wrong is pretty awesome.

Here for posterity

GHG

Gold Member
So you can't say for certain that the drive that is better than the Xbox storage would even work on the the PS5. Is that even a requirement for your argument or is it just about attacking the price of this certified Xbox storage option? Yes the drive is expensive but we are certain it works.

Nah its about the fact that the drive is simply too expensive for what it is. Let me put it this way, I'm not the one who brought up any potential PS5 drives.

If you see the discussion around how poorly priced this drive is as "attacking" then so be it, I don't give a shit. If you're buying a console that could use one of these you should be asking for more reasonable pricing.

It's not "horribly overpriced" DEAL because it's $9 LESS than the PS5's SSD EXPANSION, you need to do APPLES TO APPLES not Apples to fucking potatos or w/e the fuck throwing speed into a conversation about expanding capacity in a closed system does.

The only thing you can look at is $/gb and in that category the Series S/X is slightly less.

Why are you obsessing over the potential PS5 drives pricing. Its not even apples to apples, the Samsung 980 is twice as fast as this proprietary drive. Do you know what apples to apples even means?

The Series X drives can perform at 2.4 GB/s. So with that in mind here are your apples to apples comparisons on the free market:

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yeah I completely disagree with Jeff Grubb about it being fairly priced. Expected? Yes, but still a big mark-up of an already marked-up product in the PC space.

1, This works out to 75% the cost of the XSS where it is needed most being a 512GB digital console. The 360 20GB HDD was £70 in comparison. I don't expect price to come down much either as a couple of years later Microsoft brought out the 120GB HDD....for £130.

2, Next week you can pick-up this far better spec'd and longer warranty PCIe4x4 1TB drive for $150 retail: https://www.anandtech.com/show/1609...-40-x4-nvme-ssd-for-notebooks-gammix-s50-lite

I doubt it will be too long until you can get a same capacity drive for the PS5 for less money.
But with Ps5 you will have to buy 2tb to be the same as your swapping out the drive

ZywyPL

Banned
Too much. I understand not only MS but also Seagate has to make a cut out of it, but I don't expect neither of the two to make a profit from something that won't sell well, exactly because of the price.

Nah its about the fact that the drive is simply too expensive for what it is. Let me put it this way, I'm not the one who brought up any potential PS5 drives.

If you see the discussion around how poorly priced this drive is as "attacking" then so be it, I don't give a shit. If you're buying a console that could use one of these you should be asking for more reasonable pricing.

Why are you obsessing over the potential PS5 drives pricing. Its not even apples to apples, the Samsung 980 is twice as fast as this proprietary drive. Do you know what apples to apples even means?

The Series X drives can perform at 2.4 GB/s. So with that in mind here are your apples to apples comparisons on the free market:

I get it man the Xbox drive is expensive and the PS5 drive doesn't exist.

Sethbacca

So? That doesn't automatically mean anything. No reason I can see that MS won't stay competitive here.

Is this the first time you've ever owned electronics? This is literally the way it always is. Expensive proprietary storage is half the reason the Vita failed.

GHG

Gold Member
I get it man the Xbox drive is expensive and the PS5 drive doesn't exist.

Any potential PS5 drive is twice as fast as this one and also has utility outside of just being stuck in a console.

But if that's how you need to interpret the points that are being put forward in order to feel comfortable about the pricing of this drive then don't let me stop you.

Last edited:

Donarudo

Holy shit this is 250€ in Spain, good luck with that :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Well

239,99€

I'm not going to buy that, at that price. Something like 80-120€ seems more reasonable for that. This is just a small nand-chip card without cache & controller chip. Way to expensive.
We knew the price was 220$ for US but we just confirmation from MS about Europe for the 1 TB SSD

Crzym0Y.jpg

XSS is €299 for reference in Europe

How can the price vary in different EU countries with the same currency?! 30€ difference between Germany and France? That's ridiculous.

LordCBH

The price is expensive, but I don’t see the issue. That’s just what these drives cost right now even outside of this special form factor.

alstrike

How can the price vary in different EU countries with the same currency?! 30€ difference between Germany and France? That's ridiculous.

Well in Spain we have a 21% VAT, in Germany is 19% and in France 20%.

The higher price in France can be due to some copyright fees or some other taxes that I don't know about. Maybe some France GAF can shed some light on this matter.

The higher price in France can be due to some copyright fees or some other taxes that I don't know about. Maybe some France GAF can shed some light on this matter.

Germany is currently 16%. At least for this year.

THE:MILKMAN

The confusion is the fact that across these same countries the price of the consoles themselves is the same at €299/€499.

Top Bottom