• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

YayNJ

Banned
Hopefully lessons learned from this project can be applied to in-progress games from the new studios.

What a complete, low rent troll you are. Just been catching up with this thread, and after every update you drive by with "too little" or similar and add nothing at all to the thread.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I keep trying to play this game, but the matchmaking is the worst thing ever. This game is so new player unfriendly still it's sad because I really like the bits I have been able to play. Having crewmates who constantly drop, get drunk goof around then drop, or just do not seem to be willing to even attempt to play as a crew is super annoying.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I keep trying to play this game, but the matchmaking is the worst thing ever. This game is so new player unfriendly still it's sad because I really like the bits I have been able to play. Having crewmates who constantly drop, get drunk goof around then drop, or just do not seem to be willing to even attempt to play as a crew is super annoying.

Solo or gaming with friends is the way to go. You can sometimes hook up with a good random crew, but it requires patience and only happens like 20% of the time. This is one of those games that if you don't have friends that play it, you really need to put the effort forth and join a SoT clan and it will really open up the game for you and be an enjoyable experience.

Fun to get a taste of The Arena with the Wanderers Mercenary voyage. Been using a galleon crew to defend wanderers from people looking to tap the chests and run. Fun watching them quit and throw their 5 doubloons away.

Havoc2049

Rise from the depths of Davy Jones' Locker ye olde OT! Rise!

Salty pirates never die!

tumblr_o9fxyir25V1sh19qjo1_400.gif

Today (April 30th) is the Anniversary Update!

Tall Tales

The Hunter's Call

The Arena

Havoc2049

I've been playing the new Anniversary Update for Sea of Thieves. The Anniversary update is really good. It is like three updates in one, with Tall Tales, The Hunter's Call and Arena. There have also been a bunch of quality of life updates as well. There are a total of 9 Tall Tales and my crew and I finished the first two. The Tall Tales are really fun, with that signature Rare quality, excellent music and a healthy dose of mystery and adventure. It's really fun trying to figure out clues with your crew mates. The second mission even had a boss battle at the end, which was really challenging.

Here is my sloop outfitted with the new Anniversary Update Pirate Legend ship gear, for all the players who were able to reach Pirate Legend within the first year.
019c279d-7b62-4f7e-8cb9-3d5e9b6ffe8e.PNG

In honor of the Anniversary Update, I bought the SoT controller stand.
EkPdSC5.jpg

Havoc2049

what kind of single player content is in this game?

None, it's not a single player game. Microsoft is all about forcing you into multiplayer experiences.

Everything can be played by a single player. You can play in a crew of one to four people. Some tasks can be extremely difficult by yourself, but the challenge of doing some things solo can be fun and rewarding, Some of the most tense moments I've had in SoT was taking a Skeleton Fort solo. It's an MMO though, so you will encounter other players out in the world. Some friendly and some not. It is a game of pirates after all.

All I've done since the update is fish.

what kind of single player content is in this game?
It's not really ideal for singleplayer play, but it is possible to solo nearly everything in the game. However, the new Anniversary update has made it harder to play solo thanks to the expanded damage model - if your mast/wheel/capstan get damaged, then it takes a significant amount of time to repair.

I completely solo’d all the Tall Tales 5 times. It’s super doable at the moment, every server has gone soft atm.

Been fishing like a mad man, just hit level 31 in Hunters Call. The grind in that faction will be harsh! Just need one Muddy Wildsplash to have at least one of each fish.

Barely touched the Arena, it’s ok, but not a fan of the chest gathering. At the mo I’m just grinding out the weapon kill commendations. Played 13 games and killed 183 people. So many noobs to rinse, it’s almost like smurfing.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
My friends say that the game is so much better now after the anniversary update. So is it worth going back to the game now?

mcz117chief

I got a few questions.

I want to play the game on PC:
1) do I need to pay for xbox live?
2) is the only way to get the game on PC via the Microsoft digital store?
3) can I play on PC with xbox players?

My friends say that the game is so much better now after the anniversary update. So is it worth going back to the game now?

It depends, what made you bounce off of it before?

I got a few questions.

I want to play the game on PC:
1) do I need to pay for xbox live?
2) is the only way to get the game on PC via the Microsoft digital store?
3) can I play on PC with xbox players?

1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes - in a few weeks/months Xbox players will be able to opt out of crossplay but it will be enabled by default.

Not enough content

I couldn’t imagine starting this game as a fresh player now. There is tons of content atm. But it is still a grind for cosmetics only. I absolutely love the grind, but it’s not for everyone.

There is a story adventure mode with riddles and puzzles.

There is a pvp arena

You have tons of bilge rat missions, skeleton thrones, forsaken shores, mermaid hunts etc

They have mercenary voyages which are on hold at the moment.

The hunters call faction alongside levelling up the sea dogs, gold hoarders, merchant, order of souls and Athena.

There is a LOT to do, but a lot of players do it for a flashy hat and a new title, as well as to see the numbers go up.

The PVP is still not great, the hit markers are still client side which doesn’t match up with server hits. Leaving you to wonder why someone is STILL alive. The combat balance is being tweaked constantly though.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

So you don't need GOLD on PC but you do on Xbox one? So for example if I were to buy it digitally on PC and then use the "play anywhere" feature and install it on Xbox I can play it no problems on the PC but I will need GOLD membership for Xbox to play it or is it also playable without the GOLD sub on Xbox?

Last edited:
So you don't need GOLD on PC but you do on Xbox one? So for example if I were to buy it digitally on PC and then use the "play anywhere" feature and install it on Xbox I can play it no problems on the PC but I will need GOLD membership for Xbox to play it or is it also playable without the GOLD sub on Xbox?

Yes. You need gold to play it on XBOX. But not for PC

My friend and I play together (me on my PC and him on my XBOX). If my Gold expires, he cannot play, but I can on PC.

Havoc2049

I completely solo’d all the Tall Tales 5 times. It’s super doable at the moment, every server has gone soft atm.

Been fishing like a mad man, just hit level 31 in Hunters Call. The grind in that faction will be harsh! Just need one Muddy Wildsplash to have at least one of each fish.

Barely touched the Arena, it’s ok, but not a fan of the chest gathering. At the mo I’m just grinding out the weapon kill commendations. Played 13 games and killed 183 people. So many noobs to rinse, it’s almost like smurfing.
Nice dude! Hardcore! 😀

I’ve been busy with work, but have the next four days off. So far I’ve completed the first three Tall Tales and I’m Lvl 9 Hunter’s Call. Plan on going gangbusters starting tomorrow. Add me to your friends list: MajorHavoc 2049.

I never played this game due to poor reception. With all of the updates over the years, is it now worth taking a jump in? As a new player, do the content updates allow me to access those new areas/features immediately, or do I still need to slog through the boring vanilla game first? I'm thinking of convincing some friends to get it with me...

Nice dude! Hardcore! 😀

I’ve been busy with work, but have the next four days off. So far I’ve completed the first three Tall Tales and I’m Lvl 9 Hunter’s Call. Plan on going gangbusters starting tomorrow. Add me to your friends list: MajorHavoc 2049.

Will do bud, my usernames SatanicNemesis, could always use another fishing partner. Almost finished my ancientscale fish and Devilfish. We worked out that getting every fish and cooking commendation will not net enough XP to hit level 50 in hunters call. So it’s gonna be rough, 7 hours playing today got me just 1 level lol.

I never played this game due to poor reception. With all of the updates over the years, is it now worth taking a jump in? As a new player, do the content updates allow me to access those new areas/features immediately, or do I still need to slog through the boring vanilla game first? I'm thinking of convincing some friends to get it with me...

The only thing locked to you is the pirate legend voyages which are just an amalgamation of the original three factions in one voyage. You will miss nothing being new, the only thing is facing players with more game experience then you, will suck at the start. There are a lot of new players though due to this update, so it shouldn’t be too bad or common to get thrashed.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Will do bud, my usernames SatanicNemesis, could always use another fishing partner. Almost finished my ancientscale fish and Devilfish. We worked out that getting every fish and cooking commendation will not net enough XP to hit level 50 in hunters call. So it’s gonna be rough, 7 hours playing today got me just 1 level lol.

The good old Rare grind. I swear, I feel Rare never seriously thinks about or play tests some of the outrageous goals and achievements they set out for the players in SoT. Some of it is just so blatantly obvious as to not be obtainable, even by the hardest of the hardcore. I just shake my head sometimes. For fishing, it seems like there is a serious bottleneck in the bait department.

The good old Rare grind. I swear, I feel Rare never seriously thinks about or play tests some of the outrageous goals and achievements they set out for the players in SoT. Some of it is just so blatantly obvious as to not be obtainable, even by the hardest of the hardcore. I just shake my head sometimes. For fishing, it seems like there is a serious bottleneck in the bait department.

Kill the shrouded ghost 5 times. Unless they rejig the numbers on its spawn rate, I’ll never see that commendation lol.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
Returned to the game after the anniversary update. Me and the lads are having fun

The whole chests hunt is super fun. Fixing the ship after being hit with a volcano is also fun and we have a good laugh

epicnemesis

Is there an easy way for Gaffers to gather? I’d love to try out the new story stuff, but preferably with not completely random people.

Mista

Banned
Yeah it has cross-play. Most PC players I've met generally find groups through Discord however the Xbox LFG on the Xbox App works well too and I've seen many users also using that.
Here’s my GT: I Sir Guts I

I got a group of you wanna join us anytime :)

Ol'Scratch

I need to log in for the Halo stuff. I have not played in over a year I am fairly sure. The game is seriously such a visual feast to just sail around aimlessly and doing maps. Until you get ganked by some crew hiding out by the turn ins that is. Such a fantastic game for real though, a fun experience especially if you have a crew of friends.

Top Bottom