• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves [OT]

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
How is the game nowadays? I put the game down after a week because while gorgeous, I found it to be very lacking in things to do.

This game, since Shrouded Spoils, finally feels like a full $60 product. I have had more fun this last week, than I have had in the last few months. Bring on The Arena!

Last edited:

Klondyke

Banned
This is my GOTY and probably one of my favourite games ever created. Do we have a GAF crew rolling? Would love to join.

From reddit

1 month ago

This game and its community (this subreddit in particular) havnt been all too great to me I put the game down i check in every content update and theres nothing new to keep me motivated enough to play beyond a week at most
Theres a few odd people that it was fun to play with (i posted about it in this sub before) but that was one time ONE TIME i played every other time i played i avoided everyone because everyone is Shoot on sight (in my experience) and anytime i say somthing like this ive heard "oh well its a pvp game" "its sea of THEIVES"
To the first point i understand its a pvp game
But when the meg launched(a content update that encouraged friendly play andworking together) more often than not the people we teamed up with eventually shut us down (or shut us down from the get go) or didnt even show up at all
And to the second point if youre playing by words
Its sea of THEIVES not sea of MURDERERS
The PVP was clunky Hit registration is shakey at best Damage doesnt make any sense (im looking at you blunderbuss) And the enemies are for the most part boring
Shadow skeletons are cool but why spawn them. During the day
Gold skeletons are cool but the fact youre competely surroinded by water 100% of the time make them a joke
Plant skeletons are cool but they should only spawn on top of water
The keg skeletons are cool fuck the keg skeletons
Sharks are boring The kracken is a waste of time The meg looks cool but is boring to fight
The only time i had fun in combat was against the skeleton ships and even those had their problems
Im by no means a contrarian or even hard to please by any means
But this game as empty as it is is NOT worth the price point ESPECIALLY at launch
Im not saying i didnt have fun with the game because i did But taking a critical look at it now why nother coming back?
We shouldn't allow producers and production companies(not thebdevs i know they alot of the time have no say) to think its okay to release an unfinished game and finish it with "free dlc"
I know thats becoming the norm now slowly but fuck man
Im not shitting on anyone or their opinions but the game just isnt for me anymore which sucks because the game had alot of promise

Alx

The fact they thought they could launch something so barebones and salvage it later is reason enough not to support the game.

Funnily enough I stopped playing the game when they started adding content. I loved sailing around, meeting or escaping other pirates, but all the new missions and quests make the game feel more daunting.
I should go back to it… It's still my most played game this year, according to the MS individual report.

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

So uhm year i reinstalled this "game" again and still havent seen anything new besides some new instruments?
Why did i download 50GB to still play the same crap the game launched with??

So uhm year i reinstalled this "game" again and still havent seen anything new besides some new instruments?
Why did i download 50GB to still play the same crap the game launched with??
There's a lot more in the game now, it's had multiple expansions.

snoop.png

Alx

better UI and inventory management.

I went back to the game for a few minutes after having left since summer, and the UI was the only change I didn't really like. The new grid-like menus may be more conventional, but I thought picking items one by one from a barrel felt more consistent with the general game mechanics.

Havoc2049

Is it worth it for soloing or do I need friends for it?
I've put in hundreds of hours into SoT, made it to Pirate Legend and I had fun both solo and with friends. Playing with randoms is real hit or miss though and requires patience, but can also lead to lasting friendships. Playing solo provides its own set of challenges and can be a fun and intense battle for survival. Get with a good gaming group or clan to get the most out of SoT. Some of the long drawn out quests and missions can be a drag solo and are more fun with a crew.

VAL0R

Banned
Sea of thieves needs a centrally located commerce island with a big Pirate*Mart containing all the purchase options for the game in stock. I don't want to have to wander from one outpost to another trying to remember which is the one that sells admiral gear or whatever.

The island could be patrolled by nearly invincible NPC's who will throw you in the island jail and charge you a hefty fine for killing another player on/near the island, so there would be no PvP there. Have a giant tavern with card tables where you can wager in-game gold. People could play their instruments on a stage. Maybe you could tip them for it. Stuff like that. The game need more personality.

420bits

Seems there is a 50% discount on MSstore, fuckit ill just buy it and hope they will continue to make it better. I did play it at launch with the free 14 day gamepass and it was fun, just a bit weak on the contentside for a 60dollar game. For 30 and a ton of contentpatches it seems to be worth it.

II_JumPeR_I

Some people don't seem to understand this game at all. It's a sandbox game where you make your own fun. .
Can we please stop with this very very weak excuse?
You can make your own fun in everything. Pissing against the wind? Yeah that can be fun.

sol_bad

I still don't understand how this game happened.
It was in development for 4 years and it released with barely any content or game play elements?

Did they keep scrapping ideas and starting from scratch again? Did Microsoft stop funding their 4 year project and so they forced them to release it? Was this "make your own fun" style of game really intended 4 years ago?

The resurgence this title and Rare are enjoying right now is well deserved. I have not seen a dev team be as communicative or transparent in building their game and being inclusive of their community.

With Arena seemingly aimed at shorter more intense experiences, I expect streamers will jump on it more in time to come.

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the lore/adventure/quests that they're building. It takes Rarely seen (pun intended) commitment from a studio to recover a game from as poor a launch as it had to where it is today.

(I also don't quite get how folks even now refer to the game as a failed effort. We're a year past launch, with no microtransactions and enough content now to have become interesting enough for content creators and viewers alike - taking it to near Fortnite and LoL levels. In any other universe, for a 1 year old game to be enjoying this followership would make it a hit.)

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Can we please stop with this very very weak excuse?
You can make your own fun in everything. Pissing against the wind? Yeah that can be fun.
Yeah, no. It isnt a weak excuse. It's exactly the kind of game it is.

Do you piss against the wind often or is it just a weekend thing?

Mega Man

This is the game I keep coming back to time and time again since launch. It is an absolute joy to play every time I jump in for a few days. The grinding can become daunting, but I agree with some previously stated opinions: streamers will make their own fun. I think it is a perfect departure from many of the fast paced/intense BR's that have been all the rage. A perfect title to just hang with people, enjoy some thrilling moments, and enjoy an all-around good time. This game will continue to thrive, but I do expect the recently high numbers to tame a bit before jumping up again at the launch of The Arena.

Mikstl

Banned
Game me wildly disappointed, I put it on such expectations, but now again play in Lineage 2 classic, immortal classic MMO

merswa

Banned
Game me wildly disappointed, I put it on such expectations, but now again play in Lineage 2 classic, immortal classic MMO
I think this game should be given time to add more content, do not compare it with Lineage, which for all the years of its existence has gained millions of fans

Mikstl

Banned
I think this game should be given time to add more content, do not compare it with Lineage, which for all the years of its existence has gained millions of fans
It would be better not to have these millions of fans. On NA servers to play almost impossible, I sometimes can not go to the server because of the wait

merswa

Banned
It would be better not to have these millions of fans. On NA servers to play almost impossible, I sometimes can not go to the server because of the wait
Dude, I wrote in the beginning, you are probably not versed in servers, try Skelth, himself playing for 3 years, no wild overflows

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I'm considering trying this game again (tried briefly at launch). For those who are experienced, any advice to someone just starting out?

I'm considering trying this game again (tried briefly at launch). For those who are experienced, any advice to someone just starting out?

Here are some basic tips for guys coming in late:

Awareness is key. Keep an eye out in the crows nest for incoming ships, chances are they want pvp. If you catch them far enough in advance and start to flee, it might discourage a chase. If you are in a sloop and getting chased, sail into the wind. You might be going slower, but bigger ships will be even more slow.

Not all voyages are equal. When running voyages, try to get ones with multiple maps and lots of treasure. Voyage generation is random, although the value of the voyages increase as you level up.

Speaking levels, try to keep them even. If your gold hoarders is 25 levels higher than your merchant, the game will get tiresome grinding the same thing over and over. Switch it up, it makes the grind less monotonous.

Concerning other players, some may be neutral towards you but always keep your guard up! Alliances sound good on paper but from experience they rarely last. Keep your sails in the wind and try to stay away from others until you get more combat experience.

Concerning raids
, they are profitable and a fast way to level, but often end up as a beacon for other players. Be careful around forts and watch for gunpowder skellys. If you want to take on skeleton ships, make sure you are in a full crew, preferably a galleon as the AI doesn’t know how to shoot below the waterline, so half the holes won’t even fill with water until the ships about to sink anyway.

Krakens and megalodons also give generous loot, but require a decent stockpile of supplies to take on, as they deal a lot of damage. If you don’t feel like fighting the meg, sail inland as they cannot enter shallow water. As for the kraken, I generally find fighting back causes it to disappear more quickly. Make sure you have someone below deck at all times, as it tends to grab crew mates off the ship for extended periods of time. Keep your heads down and keep the tentacles off the boat and you should have a better chance at survival.

Loot earned from quests in the “devils roar” volcano area is worth twice as much as normal loot, sometimes more. While adventuring in this area, watch for earthquakes, as they often signal an eruption. Volcanic rocks do a lot of damage, and should an island erupt it is wise to leave.

Stock up at your *first* outpost. The game intentionally tries to spawns you at an outpost with few other players or AI threats nearby. Take Advantage. This is your best chance to stock up. There are more barrels around the outposts than you may think at first. So, wander around the outpost a bit.

Use Crates & Forts to Get More Supplies. Let's say you're collecting resources at an outpost. Some barrels contain a "message in a bottle." You might get a “message in a bottle” that tells you to deliver a resource crate—crate of cannonballs, bananas, or planks—to another outpost. If you do, collect the crate from the merchant at the outpost you are currently at. Then, between your current outpost and the delivery outpost, sail to an empty skeleton fort. Why? Skeleton forts have tons of supplies and no AI disturbing you while you collect.

Now that you have a crate you can take the crate off the boat with you to collect supplies around the fort. This allows you to collect supplies far more quickly than if you were taking bananas from the fort back to your boat five bananas at a time. Which Islands are Skeletons Forts? Use the SoT Companion Map

Sure, some Skeleton Forts have “fort” in the name, but several don’t. There’s an SoT companion map website (or you can use the iPhone or Android app). It helps with tons of stuff—including the campaigns. As for finding Skeleton Forts: click on the top left button, scroll down to “points of interest,” then turn on “Skeleton Forts.” Voilá!

Get a Rowboat. Stock the Rowboat with supplies.You don’t want to spend too much time stocking up the ship—especially if you fear you might sink quickly. Luckily, you can stock up the rowboat as well. When you lose your ship, your rowboat stays afloat. Most people focus on the fact that if you lose your ship, this means you can put any of your ship’s—now sinking—loot or cargo on the rowboat. Yes, that is great.

If you stock the rowboat with supplies before you sink, you retain those supplies***.*** You can sail your new ship back to where you sank (or have one crew mate stay with the rowboat and meet you halfway). That way you are not starting over from scratch with collecting supplies every time you sink.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Here are some basic tips for guys coming in late:

Awareness is key. Keep an eye out in the crows nest for incoming ships, chances are they want pvp. If you catch them far enough in advance and start to flee, it might discourage a chase. If you are in a sloop and getting chased, sail into the wind. You might be going slower, but bigger ships will be even more slow.

Not all voyages are equal. When running voyages, try to get ones with multiple maps and lots of treasure. Voyage generation is random, although the value of the voyages increase as you level up.

Speaking levels, try to keep them even. If your gold hoarders is 25 levels higher than your merchant, the game will get tiresome grinding the same thing over and over. Switch it up, it makes the grind less monotonous.

Concerning other players, some may be neutral towards you but always keep your guard up! Alliances sound good on paper but from experience they rarely last. Keep your sails in the wind and try to stay away from others until you get more combat experience.

Concerning raids, they are profitable and a fast way to level, but often end up as a beacon for other players. Be careful around forts and watch for gunpowder skellys. If you want to take on skeleton ships, make sure you are in a full crew, preferably a galleon as the AI doesn’t know how to shoot below the waterline, so half the holes won’t even fill with water until the ships about to sink anyway.

Krakens and megalodons also give generous loot, but require a decent stockpile of supplies to take on, as they deal a lot of damage. If you don’t feel like fighting the meg, sail inland as they cannot enter shallow water. As for the kraken, I generally find fighting back causes it to disappear more quickly. Make sure you have someone below deck at all times, as it tends to grab crew mates off the ship for extended periods of time. Keep your heads down and keep the tentacles off the boat and you should have a better chance at survival.

Loot earned from quests in the “devils roar” volcano area is worth twice as much as normal loot, sometimes more. While adventuring in this area, watch for earthquakes, as they often signal an eruption. Volcanic rocks do a lot of damage, and should an island erupt it is wise to leave.

Stock up at your *first* outpost. The game intentionally tries to spawns you at an outpost with few other players or AI threats nearby. Take Advantage. This is your best chance to stock up. There are more barrels around the outposts than you may think at first. So, wander around the outpost a bit.

Use Crates & Forts to Get More Supplies. Let's say you're collecting resources at an outpost. Some barrels contain a "message in a bottle." You might get a “message in a bottle” that tells you to deliver a resource crate—crate of cannonballs, bananas, or planks—to another outpost. If you do, collect the crate from the merchant at the outpost you are currently at. Then, between your current outpost and the delivery outpost, sail to an empty skeleton fort. Why? Skeleton forts have tons of supplies and no AI disturbing you while you collect.

Now that you have a crate you can take the crate off the boat with you to collect supplies around the fort. This allows you to collect supplies far more quickly than if you were taking bananas from the fort back to your boat five bananas at a time. Which Islands are Skeletons Forts? Use the SoT Companion Map

Sure, some Skeleton Forts have “fort” in the name, but several don’t. There’s an SoT companion map website (or you can use the iPhone or Android app). It helps with tons of stuff—including the campaigns. As for finding Skeleton Forts: click on the top left button, scroll down to “points of interest,” then turn on “Skeleton Forts.” Voilá!

Get a Rowboat. Stock the Rowboat with supplies.You don’t want to spend too much time stocking up the ship—especially if you fear you might sink quickly. Luckily, you can stock up the rowboat as well. When you lose your ship, your rowboat stays afloat. Most people focus on the fact that if you lose your ship, this means you can put any of your ship’s—now sinking—loot or cargo on the rowboat. Yes, that is great.

If you stock the rowboat with supplies before you sink, you retain those supplies***.*** You can sail your new ship back to where you sank (or have one crew mate stay with the rowboat and meet you halfway). That way you are not starting over from scratch with collecting supplies every time you sink.
Awesome, thanks!

You will sink and lose hours of progress. You will get griefed and hear some toxic shit from bellends. Don’t let it dissuade you. Apart from an exploit that’s being fixed next week (double gun macros) the only thing that separates people is actual gameplay experience & mouse accuracy from PC users. (Mouse and keyboard support will come to Xbox).

You may get annoyed, but you will learn from your mistakes one step at a time. Soon you will be the one sinking and slaughtering full crews for their loot.

Ive been playing about 20+ hours a week since launch and I’m on PC. Sometimes I get wrecked by Xbox users and make silly mistakes. But it’s all good fun. The end goal of hitting pirate legend isn’t something worth rushing towards so don’t let it obscure the fun in the journey.

Have fun, always remember your loot isn’t yours until it’s sold, and try not to get too angry. Happy sailing!

Edit: if you ever fancy a helping hand just hit me up. Gamertag = SatanicNemesis

Last edited:
Top Bottom