• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves is coming to Steam with crossplay

Bullet Club

‘Sea of Thieves’ is coming to Steam with crossplay

Crossplay will let Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam users plunder together.

Microsoft's buccaneering simulator, Sea of Thieves, already has 10 million players on Xbox One and Windows 10. The company announced that the game is coming soon to Steam, adding to an already large stable of Microsoft games on Valve's platform, and allowing existing Steam users to connect more easily with friends. The game, which was developed by Rare, challenges players to complete voyages across the open seas. What makes things more interesting is the fact that crews can run into pirate ships manned by other gamers -- and attempt to plunder their booty.

While Sea of Thieves has been out for two years, Steam die-hards may have yet to try the game. Plus, crossplay should make both cooperative and competitive play more interesting -- Xbox One, Windows 10 and Steam gamers can all play together. There's no release date for the Steam version of Sea of Thieves, but the listing is live and users can add the game to their wishlists.

Source: Engadget

Last edited:

Catphish

It's a fun game. The water physics are second to none, and the feeling I get when sailing the open sea is unmatched by any other game.

It's not perfect, and I find it lacking in some areas, namely the lack of NPC factions and any real progression system, but I've definitely enjoyed my time with it. 👍

Rather not support a game who thought they could launch in early access state and call themselves a full game
I don't know, it wasn't still in early development, didn't the game take them years beforehand and it still launched without any content?

Pejo

Is the core gameplay loop of Sea of Thieves mainly naval battles? I'd be interested if you could do other piratey things, but not if it's just circling each other with cannons for 5 minutes until someone sinks.

Catphish

Is the core gameplay loop of Sea of Thieves mainly naval battles? I'd be interested if you could do other piratey things, but not if it's just circling each other with cannons for 5 minutes until someone sinks.
The core loop is to run a mission type, whether it be cargo delivery, treasure finding, bounty hunting, fort raiding, or naval combat, complete the mission, collect your loot, and try to get it to an outpost to sell it before someone kills you and takes your shit.

ROMhack

Set sail on the high seas of combat as you traverse the Atlantic ocean in search of treasure and plunder!

Recruit a crew of bloodthirsty bandits, demon women and sexy wenches as you leave a trail of vengeance in your wake.

This is the pirate simulator you always dreamed of... available now on PC via cross play.

What are you waiting for? Load your cannonball and get killing, you scurvy sea dog!

This is what I imagine the game is about..

Last edited:

Holammer

Checked Twitch to gauge current interest in the game and there's only 2.5k watching SoT streams right now, so it's pretty low. But... OwO? What this? Only 1.5k watching Borderlands 3! How embarrassing!

Dane

Checked Twitch to gauge current interest in the game and there's only 2.5k watching SoT streams right now, so it's pretty low. But... OwO? What this? Only 1.5k watching Borderlands 3! How embarrassing!

This game has been on that for months/years, 2.5k-4k, sometimes higher than that, but it always remained stable.

No Man Sky for example has never got this kind of viewership daily (it doesn't even get 1k, only when huge updates comes in and then disappears).

Pallas

Surprised it’s not on steam already but this is pretty cool. Not a huge fan of the game myself, would be interesting to see those smooth water physics on next gen tho.

Microsoft's buccaneering simulator, Sea of Thieves, already has 10 million players on Xbox One and Windows 10. - all gamepass subs game sold zero.zero copies.

OrQ3AXt.jpg

Last edited:

Still waiting for MCC to go on sale on Steam...

Pretty sure it is right now. I got an email from Steam about it.

My son and buddies played it again for the first time since launch. Had some great ship battles and exploring. It's a great game to chill out with.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

The core loop is to run a mission type, whether it be cargo delivery, treasure finding, bounty hunting, fort raiding, or naval combat, complete the mission, collect your loot, and try to get it to an outpost to sell it before someone kills you and takes your shit.
While the core original loop is still there with the Gold Hoarders, Merchant Alliance and Order of Souls factions, Rare has added TONS of content over the years and are still adding new content, special events, monthly events, as well as bringing back limited timed events.

Tall Tales (Story Mode)

Cursed Sails and Forsaken Shores (NPC Skeleton Ships and Map Expansion)

The Arena (PVP Mode and New Faction)

The Hunter’s Call (Hunting, Fishing and New Faction)

Heart of Fire (Latest Content Update)

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Last time I played it on Xbox it was pretty simple, but really fun. The water looks so good. It's the type of game that will result in a different story every time you play, and everyone's story will be different.

I still remember running in my tiny boat from a huge ship with a full crew, finally losing them in a massive storm, surviving a giant monster attack, only to be sunk by a rogue ship right at port when I was turning in my treasure. I lost everything, but was still smiling.

Microsoft's buccaneering simulator, Sea of Thieves, already has 10 million players on Xbox One and Windows 10. - all gamepass subs game sold zero.zero copies.

I just state the obvious. The game released basically without any content and it failed at retail. IF it was just a reg release(1st title announced for GP i believe) it was DOA. No one is buying that at $60, and no one did.

Havoc2049

I just state the obvious. The game released basically without any content and it failed at retail. IF it was just a reg release(1st title announced for GP i believe) it was DOA. No one is buying that at $60, and no one did.

Sea of Thieves was a commercial success. The title attracted more than 1 million players two days after it was released, it was the best-selling retail game in the UK in its week of release, and it became the second best-selling game in the US in March 2018, only behind Far Cry 5. On 28 March 2018, Microsoft declared the game as the fastest-selling new IP released for the Xbox One. Rare attributed the game's success to the title releasing for Xbox Game Pass subscribers at launch, which enabled the game to achieved Rare's sales target for three months in a single day. Game Pass contributed to half of the sales of Sea of Thieves, though Microsoft added that the game sold well without counting the Game Pass sales. The game passed five million players in August 2018. In January 2020, Microsoft declared the game the most successful IP it has released in the generation, with the game amassing more than 10 million players. In addition to good sales, Sea of Thieves was also popular with viewers, with the title being ranked as one of the most watched titles on Twitch in January 2019 following the Shrouded Spoils update.
-Source

The Sea of Thieves limited edition controller was popular and sold out quickly. It goes for $200-$400 these days on eBay.

Sea of Thieves is also popular enough to have an art book, graphic novel and novel published.

Can you drift your ship?

Yes, you can raise sails and drift to a stop. Your ship can also go adrift during a storm. Ships also react to explosions in the water and drift.

Last edited:
Still haven't jumped into this, I may have to check it out soon. My primary hesitation is that I've read the community is somewhat toxic with lots of griefers running around fucking with noobs n ruining the experience. But I suppose that's just online game play in general. Hopefully they've gotten a handle on this or offer PvE sections or modes without PvP. 🤔

I suppose that someone needs to make new online game IPs, but can Rare please go back to making amazing platform games?

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: GHG
Sea of Thieves was a commercial success. The title attracted more than 1 million players two days after it was released, it was the best-selling retail game in the UK in its week of release, and it became the second best-selling game in the US in March 2018, only behind Far Cry 5. On 28 March 2018, Microsoft declared the game as the fastest-selling new IP released for the Xbox One. Rare attributed the game's success to the title releasing for Xbox Game Pass subscribers at launch, which enabled the game to achieved Rare's sales target for three months in a single day. Game Pass contributed to half of the sales of Sea of Thieves, though Microsoft added that the game sold well without counting the Game Pass sales. The game passed five million players in August 2018. In January 2020, Microsoft declared the game the most successful IP it has released in the generation, with the game amassing more than 10 million players. In addition to good sales, Sea of Thieves was also popular with viewers, with the title being ranked as one of the most watched titles on Twitch in January 2019 following the Shrouded Spoils update.
-Source

The Sea of Thieves limited edition controller was popular and sold out quickly. It goes for $200-$400 these days on eBay.

Sea of Thieves is also popular enough to have an art book, graphic novel and novel published.

Yes, you can raise sails and drift to a stop. Your ship can also go adrift during a storm. Ships also react to explosions in the water and drift.

MS NEVER talks about sales numbers, because they always fail. That # is from GP subs only.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
This should give it a nice influx of players. The game really is unique and a lot of fun. You need friends or don't bother, which is it's biggest issue.

So I take it we’ll see you on the Sea of Thieves? 😜

Whatever makes you feel good. You keep doing you.

I only bring facts. If this was such a success, why dont they ever release sale #s or keep them exclusive? Because they are DOA and thats just a fact.

Havoc2049

I only bring facts. If this was such a success, why dont they ever release sale #s or keep them exclusive? Because they are DOA and thats just a fact.

Sounds like personal bias, fanboy facts. So what are your facts? Do you even play the game? Do you know anything about the size of the SoT community? If it was a failure, they why does Rare keep supporting the game and releasing extra content?

SoT stats from 2019:
-Throughout 2019, pirates have earned over 216 billion gold in total.
-Players have also completed 81,121,937 voyages.
-Players have played 121,086,625 hours on the game throughout the year.

I had fun with this game, but it could have and should have been so much more. Designing it for the lowest common denominator (basic gameplay with zero character development) was a terrible idea and sent it to an early grave.
In addition to good sales, Sea of Thieves was also popular with viewers, with the title being ranked as one of the most watched titles on Twitch in January 2019 following the Shrouded Spoils update.
Lmao, this spin is hilarious and I'm 100% convinced it was written by someone at Microsoft PR.

For clarity: SoT's popularity on Twitch in Jan 2019 was literally due to a single streamer (summit1g, who didn't even play the game as intended, which is why his streams were so popular), and once he stopped playing SoT the game dropped off the face of the planet again.

Sounds like personal bias, fanboy facts. So what are your facts? Do you even play the game? Do you know anything about the size of the SoT community? If it was a failure, they why does Rare keep supporting the game and releasing extra content?

SoT stats from 2019:
-Throughout 2019, pirates have earned over 216 billion gold in total.
-Players have also completed 81,121,937 voyages.
-Players have played 121,086,625 hours on the game throughout the year.

Again because it is part of GP, no one bought that at $60. It was a joke they were even asking for a price when the market is was flooded with FTP titles and other games priced 1/2 the cost and are much better or equal.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Again because it is part of GP, no one bought that at $60. It was a joke they were even asking for a price when the market is was flooded with FTP titles and other games priced 1/2 the cost and are much better or equal.

Oh look at that, you are bullshitting.

Banned

you are wrong, and why do you care so much about this?

and to your information it sold pretty well
which is in no way telling if a game is good or not, I mean look at how much 2K's god awful sports games sell.

which again, begs the question, why the fuck do you seem to care so much about it?

Last edited:
People paid $200 for a fucking sail on Ebay.
And I gladly took the money

Why? There's no loot boxes,you can chose What you like
Yeah but special cosmetics for Alpha insider or people who bought the special edition controller.
Those could not be obtained in any other way.

I sold the code for the sail, because it's not really special
wr9ox205yro01.jpg

I used the code from the controller, because it's a dope one
maxresdefault.jpg

Sold another 2 outfits you got with the purchase of 3 months Xbox Live and the preoder of the game.
3d82rnifoel01.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom