• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves Hits 25 Million Players

ManaByte

The pirate ranks of the Sea of Thieves continue to swell, as we’re happy to announce that we’ve reached the auspicious milestone of 25 million players! With the introduction of Seasons earlier this year, and our epic crossover with Disney’s Pirates of the Caribbean in Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life, we’ve seen a huge influx of players casting off for the first time and enjoying all the new features and content. We’re going to need a bigger boat…

elliot5

very deserved. Game is wonderful and their latest updates have been really good. POTC, Sunken Kingdom, tall tales, etc. If they can release substantial content like that fairly consistently it'll stay alive for many more years. There's a ton of potential.

It's a cracking game with friends. Some of the best emergent gameplay in video games, especially when getting attacked by other players or the elements. Happy to hear it's somewhat successful for MS. I'd love for them to keep adding more expansions and content.

I haven't played it yet , what am I missing as a solo player ? Is it a AAA solo adventure game ? I'm pretty sure it's reviews were below average when it launched

STARSBarry

Gold Member
This games legs have honestly surprised me. I can... Sea the appeal (har har har) and I assume anyone picking it up now will have solid content to try out and play.

However the almost constant stream of exclusive cosmetics I see given out at places like twitch, makes me feel like I'm looking at some F2P MMO.

Grats to Rare for turning a failure around into what seems to be a win.

Kagey K

Banned
I haven't played it yet , what am I missing as a solo player ? Is it a AAA solo adventure game ? I'm pretty sure it's reviews were below average when it launched
It’s emergent gameplay. You get quests and such but very little direction to find them. Have to solve riddles and clues or use landmarks to find the treasure.

If you are looking for cinematics, handholding and set pieces, this isn’t the game for you.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's a bunch of people here with far more experience in this game than me, but I remember it being pretty barren and barebones, content-wise, when it launched. The game has improved a lot over time, with actual story quests including the most recent one with Sparrow. I've played it solo but it kind of loses appeal as compared to playing with friends. Nothing beats trying to reach your next objective when everyone's drunk and barfing all over the deck while playing out of tune music and one of you is shouting his ass off because he's locked in the brig and the kraken is about to whoop everyone's asses.

Chukhopops

Well the game has a peak today of 10k players on Steam, so 25 million players means nothing. A good metric is daily users.
IMO still a incomplete game, lacking variety of enemy, bosses, a good narrative.
Could it be there are other services and platforms where you can play the game? Like a subscription service for example?

Edit: Or even… a console version of the game??

Last edited:

Barlow

Could it be there are other services and platforms where you can play the game? Like a subscription service for example?
On PC there is and will be only Steam, everything else is not available, you can click on it, but the PC will not work until you click on Steam only then the pc runs again.

elliot5

they last reported 20M in March, so between the POTC expansion and others they have gained 5M players in 7 months. Not bad at all.

This is why services will always be more profitable than hard core sales...lower barrier of entry = larger player base = more monetization. Its an eventuality of the industry than cant be skipped. Even Jim Ryan knows the biggest game can sell 15-20 million (more for the mega hits like GTA) but 20 million on sales is a mega hit...SOT isn't even the biggest IP but has 25 million players? That in large part due to the fact its on a service.

Oh and...

Star Wars You A Genius GIF by namslam

Last edited:
Pretty sure there's a bunch of people here with far more experience in this game than me, but I remember it being pretty barren and barebones, content-wise, when it launched. The game has improved a lot over time, with actual story quests including the most recent one with Sparrow. I've played it solo but it kind of loses appeal as compared to playing with friends. Nothing beats trying to reach your next objective when everyone's drunk and barfing all over the deck while playing out of tune music and one of you is shouting his ass off because he's locked in the brig and the kraken is about to whoop everyone's asses.
How do you even get locked in the brig? Is that still a thing?

elliot5

Can you just randomly start a vote for it? Or do they have to team kill or something?
you can vote for it at any time lol. We did it to a friend of ours and didn't realize they're in the brig for a minimum set time and we ended up getting owned by a crew in the meantime. They're in for like a minute or two i think

Last edited:
you can vote for it at any time lol. We did it to a friend of ours and didn't realize they're in the brig for a minimum set time and we ended up getting owned by a crew in the meantime. They're in for like a minute or two.
Dude that's hilarious I've been playing the game a ton recently and didn't know this. I'm definitely doing this to one of my friends.

CeeJay

It just means they're new, and can't like make threads or something. It's just very off when people who should be entirley new to Neogaf and have never seen it before end up saying the exact same things as people who seemly left.
Did it not used to be Junior Member or am i totally miss-remembering??

Maybe I should read the stickies more instead of just dwelling exclusively in the gaming forums...

Anyway, back on topic. SOT is a fantastic game with plenty of content, loved my time on there with a bunch of mates and a bottle of rum. Now we are getting towards winter again i'll probably jump back in. I was around for Season 1 earlier in the year but stopped playing after I got my renown to the top.

Holammer

Funny how when it had a high concurrent count you guys said nothing.

Also Brand new Neo account warring and trolling as soon as it can. Nice.
That's 10k players on Steam alone with more on MS own services. It probably sold in the 5-6M range on Steam, that's fantastic for a game many had written off as a failure.

Andodalf

Banned
Did it not used to be Junior Member or am i totally miss-remembering??

Maybe I should read the stickies more instead of just dwelling exclusively in the gaming forums...

Anyway, back on topic. SOT is a fantastic game with plenty of content, loved my time on there with a bunch of mates and a bottle of rum. Now we are getting towards winter again i'll probably jump back in. I was around for Season 1 earlier in the year but stopped playing after I got my renown to the top.

It did, and being juniored also used to be a punishment. That system was definitely abused by certain mods back in the day though.

Topher

Gold Member
Seemed to really take off when it came to Steam. Sea of Thieves has been a mainstay on the top sellers list there for a while.

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
I still remember my first major moment in the game. My crew and I were doing some basic cargo drops and got done fending off a few pirate crews during one of those Skeleton Raid events. We managed to win and on our way back to turn in our booty, we were attacked by a Kraken. Ship kept getting hammered, we were taking on water quick, and desperately trying to find the tentacle bastard off.

We managed to, at the very last second, win. Barely got back to shore before our ship finally started to break down. Grabbed all our loot and turned it in.

Sadly I haven't returned much since then, but I always will remember that series of events. I heard the game has only gotten better, so eventually I will have to see if my friends ever want to return.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Funny how when it had a high concurrent count you guys said nothing.

Also Brand new Neo account warring and trolling as soon as it can. Nice.
Truth.

Game had 4.8 million players in the month of June 2021, over 3 years since it launched.

Holammer

Currently the 93rd most played game on Steam.

Currently the 44th most played game on XBL.

2015s single player Fallout 4 has more concurrent users on both platforms.

Very impressive indeed.
There's an explanation for that. https://www.nexusmods.com/
Just look at "new today" for Fallout 4, tits everywhere. Make SoT mod friendly and watch the engagement numbers skyrocket when people add bigger breasts and bounce physics, also Ponies.

Nico_D

Been playing a bit with my friend and been having a blast doing so. Very well designed in how adventures just happen, how the simplest treasure hunt can turn into a sea battle with a skeleton ship.

Top Bottom