• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life Showcase

Vasto

Sea of Thieves Season Three launches later this month, and with it comes Sea of Thieves: A Pirate’s Life – an epic original story that brings Captain Jack Sparrow and his crew sailing in from beyond the horizon to spark new adventures spanning five narrative-driven Tall Tales.

Today’s special Xbox broadcast catches up with the teams behind this magical collaboration to offer some rousing insights into its creation. Team members from both Rare and Disney talk freely about the vision, the ambition, the care and attention poured into every aspect of this dream crossover – and just some of the features they’re most excited for fans of both franchises to experience.

2QTCJti.jpg

NUT02TW.jpg

jMV12mt.jpg

elliot5

This is WAY more than just an island and some 5 tall tale quests written for it. This is like... a huge expansion. Huge amounts of artwork, new enemy types, new mechanics, puzzles, locations, stories, bosses, etc. Crazy amount of effort and it's totally understandable why Season 1 and 2 were light while they kept all this under wraps.

Making the sea of the damned or whatever instanced to just your crew is a brilliant move.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Sea of Thieves is an amazing game to play with a group of friends. I don't play it much since my kids moved on from it, but last time I did it the adventure I had was crazy. This is launching the same day as D&D Dark Alliance. Gonna be a great week for gaming.

Vasto

I am super excited for this. That art style is stunning and will look great for years to come.

Last edited:

elliot5

They've been supporting the game with free content for over three years. Nothing impacting players behind any paywall. And the team's only growing

This video sold me on giving the patch a try. I used to have annual passes to disneyland pre-covid, so this might scratch that pirate itch for me. I can drink rum while I play with friends, too. Sign me up!

SpokkX

Omfg this sounds amazing

SoT is already my favorite game last gen and this update seems mindblowing

Rares best game - by far. Anyone still saying their golden years were the 90-ies are just wrong imo. It is now. SoT is also their most unique game - many from the 90-ies were mostly Nintendo copies (good ones though)

DeaDPo0L84

My biggest issue with SoT is I don't have a dedicated crew to run with so it takes a good while to find a crew that actually sticks together. I swear I'll go through 5 or 6 of them where people will instantly leave making the party useless before finding one actually worth a shit.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm going to hit Pirate Legend this week and I did a good 75% of it solo.
Soooo you're saying you want to run through some of it with me? Cause when you said you did 75% of it solo I heard you would like to do 100% of it coop. I am sorta kidding, my wife and a good friend of play as well but she's super busy with school and he is just generally busy so I can't really plan when he is available. If you want you can add me, its Deadpooljlp.

ManaByte

Update is live now.

Xbox Series X: 16.49 GB
Xbox Series S: 7.4 GB
Xbox One X: 16.49 GB
Xbox One: 7.4 GB
Windows 10: 18.2 GB
Steam: 15.97 GB

Bought every single POTC thing in the Emporium immediately.

Last edited:

elliot5

Lets be honest, it's only good WITH friends. Playing it single player is absolute dog shit. Which is a damn shame as it's pretty good but utterly wasted on your own.
I wouldn't say dog shit but if you play it solo from the beginning it won't be a good experience. Solo is good when you've experienced the fun of playing as a crew and just want to relax a bit and progress on your own.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
They've been supporting the game with free content for over three years. Nothing impacting players behind any paywall. And the team's only growing
Isn't this having some battlepass type of shit?

nemiroff

Gold Member

Battlepass = Surface stuff like cosmetics. Like basically any other game with a "battlepass" I guess. As per usual it doesn't have any impact on the gameplay.

Anyway, I wish this game had a lot more choices for solo play, even as simple as f.ex. Cold War and its zombie modes.

Been starting out trying to figure stuff out in this game, and the griefing from other players is so blatantly senseless, feels pretty bad..

Last edited:

M1chl

Battlepass = Surface stuff like cosmetics. Like basically any other game with a "battlepass" I guess. As per usual it doesn't have any impact on the gameplay.

Anyway, I wish this game had a lot more choices for solo play, even as simple as f.ex. Cold War and its zombie modes.
Oh in that case it's fine, but before it, it hasn't had any MTX right? I don't think I can cheer that, because money from cosmetics is huge nowadays.

Interfectum

Played through the tutorial of this game last night. The water is so awesome to look at... I can already see it's not very solo friendly though which is a shame.

SCB3

Oh in that case it's fine, but before it, it hasn't had any MTX right? I don't think I can cheer that, because money from cosmetics is huge nowadays.
It has a Store with lots of MTX, pets for example are all MTX

Still I wanna jump back in, but as a mainly solo player, it's a lot harder and not as fun as something like Fallout 76, where being Solo doesn't matter, the PotC crossover is making me want to jump back in though, I'm 25-30 on all the Merchants Solo, maybe I can LFG for a bit

Interfectum

That's a myth. It's very easy to solo once you learn the game.
I don't think it seems hard, it's just kinda lonely. The way I have to steer the ship, man the cannons, etc all myself. They should add some AI NPCs you can add to the game (or can you?)

I'm gonna try and stick with it I just don't think I'm playing it the "right" way if that makes sense.

Mr.ODST

I don't think it seems hard, it's just kinda lonely. The way I have to steer the ship, man the cannons, etc all myself. They should add some AI NPCs you can add to the game (or can you?)

I'm gonna try and stick with it I just don't think I'm playing it the "right" way if that makes sense.
Thats part of the fun having to manage a lot of that stuff while travelling to different places, the Sloop is also a lot faster than other ships as a way to balance a solo player encountering squads

anthony2690

Banned
89 items in the battle pass are free to unlock for everyone.
There is 11 premium items at the price of around £6 (for game pass members)
You even unlock some premium currency free too, its pretty generous.

They have added a crazy amount of content for free over the years including this new expansion :)

Interfectum

Thats part of the fun having to manage a lot of that stuff while travelling to different places, the Sloop is also a lot faster than other ships as a way to balance a solo player encountering squads
Cool, I'll keep at it. Like I said, I really love the water effects. As someone who loves and lives by the ocean I can't get enough of it and this game really does give you the feeling of being on the water.

ManaByte

Cool, I'll keep at it. Like I said, I really love the water effects. As someone who loves and lives by the ocean I can't get enough of it and this game really does give you the feeling of being on the water.

I nearly solo killed a galleon of how can I say...flamboyant...pirates the other day just by being a dick and bombing their ship with gunpowder kegs. Hearing them freak out on proximity chat was hilarious.

elliot5

It always had MTX (i think), but it was stuff straight purchasable from the store. Seasons/Plunder Passes are relatively new. So, now there's a way to earn premium currency and other things for free (through the free tier) on top of the Store and premium Pass. As others mentioned, all the gameplay stuff which matters is free.

lefty1117

Gold Member
It really needs some NPC crew. Would be a massive game changer. If they still want to encourage player grouping, they can do little things like make it slightly longer for NPC crew to load cannons, for example.

ManaByte

It really needs some NPC crew. Would be a massive game changer. If they still want to encourage player grouping, they can do little things like make it slightly longer for NPC crew to load cannons, for example.
That could possibly be coming since Jack Sparrow is the first friendly AI in the game.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Can you play the game solo and this new update? Is there a campaign? Is there a progression system? I played it when it first came out for a few hours and there didn't seem to have any of that at all. It was aimless.

ManaByte

Can you play the game solo and this new update? Is there a campaign? Is there a progression system? I played it when it first came out for a few hours and there didn't seem to have any of that at all. It was aimless.

The progression system is through the Trading Companies. There are several, most go from level 1-75, but if you hit level 50 with three of them then you become Pirate Legend that unlocks the endgame content and an exclusive Trading Company with missions and loot that only Pirate Legends have access to.

M1chl

Sorry that I am not really up to the date with SoT, I play it back then where there was none micro transactions. I do agree that Cosmetics are non-issue, if it's non intrusive.

elliot5

You can always play the game solo, but this content especially so. You can jump right in at the start of the menu and most of the campaign is taken place in an instanced area where other players won't bother you. Progression is still within the trading companies as a means to unlock different types of voyages, but ultimately the progression comes from your own understanding of the game and its systems + cosmetics you spend your currency on. There's a lot of tasks and tall tales (narrative quests) to do, but those are done in the shared server so you may encounter other players at times.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
You can always play the game solo, but this content especially so. You can jump right in at the start of the menu and most of the campaign is taken place in an instanced area where other players won't bother you. Progression is still within the trading companies as a means to unlock different types of voyages, but ultimately the progression comes from your own understanding of the game and its systems + cosmetics you spend your currency on. There's a lot of tasks and tall tales (narrative quests) to do, but those are done in the shared server so you may encounter other players at times.
If I start fresh is there a good tutorial about what to do, where to go, how to upgrade and what the 'trading companies' even are? I don't remember any of that when I played a couple years back for a couple hours.

Top Bottom