• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves: A Pirate's Life - Announcement Trailer

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A baby without thumbs could handle Ratchet platforming.

Hyperbole GIF by GIPHY News

Hawke502

What other platformer is better? NOTHING. Also check its genre on Metacritics in case you're confused.

Anyway, cheers.
Super Mario Odyssey and Galaxy 1 and 2, Ori 2, Rayman Legends...

Ratchet and Clank its repetitive and has too much visual pollution, the reviewers are just easily impressed by the dimension travel mechanic that its way overdone on that game.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Ratchet and Clank its repetitive and has too much visual pollution, the reviewers are just easily impressed by the dimension travel mechanic that its way overdone on that game.

Yup, all of you've mentioned might excel in one or two areas, not a complete package. Does that mean they're shit? No, they're just less impressive and still stagnant.

Ah, this looks so good. So this expansion amounts to 5 new Tall Tales.

I haven’t even done the existing Tall Tales (I should get on that) but I hear folks speak very highly of them…especially those who require a proper narrative versus the open sandbox aspect of Sea of Thieves.

I wasn’t around in terms of playing it at launch, but it’s an amazing experience now…and about to get even better it would seem. I’m pumped.

Xbox is just killing it right now.

Which is true? Even non-gaming journalists are amazed by it. Just refresh your memory and see the critics and user reception:

You can say it's "your" GOTY, that's ok then.
Your comparing apples and oranges. You can't be this dumb ...or are you?

Hawke502

Yup, all of you've mentioned might excel in one or two areas, not a complete package. Does that mean they're shit? No, they're just less impressive and still stagnant.
Are you saying to my face Ratchet and Clank is a complete package? I guess you like platformers almost without platforms, and so much stuff happening at the time during combat that you can't even see what you are shooting at, or find your character on the screen, and almost every boss looks the same.

What other platformer is better? NOTHING. Also check its genre on Metacritics in case you're confused.

Anyway, cheers.

In my time here it’s pretty clear you hold a clear disdain for Xbox and have made it abundantly clear you will never own one. What I don’t get is why you even venture into Xbox related threads at all? Tons of PlayStation centric talk for you here.

Banjo64

cumsessed

Ori and the Blind Forest and Ori and the Will of the Wisp are amongst the best games I’ve ever played, and the best 2D games hands down. Rayman Origins and Legends are also brilliant games.

I found Odyssey a bloated mess though. Just all over the place. I’m in the minority, but I found every world average.

Ratchet is definitely the most consistent quality, tight action platformer series.

Banjo, Mario 64, The Precursor Legacy, Spyro 1-3, A Hat in Time, Sly 1 are the absolute cream of the crop for 3D platformers IMO.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
can I play this game (and enjoy it) as a single player experience?
You can definitely play the game solo, whether or not you'll enjoy it is completely subjective. I've had fun running around by myself when the mood strikes, but realistically it shines when you're with a group of friends. However, they say that this upcoming dlc can be done solo, so I don't know if you're going to be in a instanced world or if you're going to have to contend with the regular stuff that tends to happen when you normally play.

Esca

Was really surprised when I saw this on ms's show and it was one of the best things they showed. I haven't played sot in sometime but I'll reinstall it. Like the game quite a bit

ManaByte

You can definitely play the game solo, whether or not you'll enjoy it is completely subjective. I've had fun running around by myself when the mood strikes, but realistically it shines when you're with a group of friends. However, they say that this upcoming dlc can be done solo, so I don't know if you're going to be in a instanced world or if you're going to have to contend with the regular stuff that tends to happen when you normally play.

They're five Tall Tales. So like all Tall Tales you can play them solo, but you're in the main world so you'll have to deal with dickwads who want to sink you just to make them feel better for being bullied at school.

Droxcy

Disney onboard with anything related to Depp is a god send right now. Maybe this is showing what’s to come he is Captain Jack Sparrow and Pirates isn’t good without him.

This is going to be insanely fun to play through

e&e

Banned
You guys seriously respond to Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem expecting unbiased discussion when he posts a hyperbole thread for a game franchise that’s not even the best in a genre it’s not even a part of? It’s like saying that any game with platforms and jumping is a Platformer.

Anyways, this is a no brained collab. Unfortunately I hate FP so shrug.

Last edited:
Sea of Thieves is actually a massive game for Xbox it has a huge playerbase you would not think that by how it looks but it actually Rare most successful gamer ever.

Anyone have a good beginners guide to post?

Forget the guides. The best fun is the crazy ass experiences in SoT. First times I just jumped in random and got chatting on the mic. Had a 3 man go for a few sessions where one knew roughly what to do and us other two just worked it out as we went. You get it pretty easily but it's that mix of discovery and mateship that makes this game. You'll get some trolls, some attackers, some collaborators and it makes the game. After a bit I started gaming with my mate and our sons/friends. Just pure fun with gorgeous seas to sail and loot to plunder.

Havoc2049

Which is true? Even non-gaming journalists are amazed by it. Just refresh your memory and see the critics and user reception:

MMOs usually have low review scores at launch, because of lack of content, which is actually normal for an MMO and by design, so new players don't get overwhelmed. Most MMOs that turn out to be successful have a good base to start out with that hook players and that was the case with SoT. Elder Scrolls Online for example had a 71% metacritic at launch and now it has sold more than 15 million copies and has an active monthly user base of 2.5 million players. The first major expansion for SoT came out two months after launch and there has been a steady flow of content ever since. SoT just won a 2021 BAFTA for best Evolving Game.

Havoc2049

Anyone have a good beginners guide to post?
At the main title screen there is a tutorial Tall Tale called Maiden Voyage. It will show you all the basics in SoT. Protip: There is a locked hidden treasure room on the shipwreck on the Maiden Voyage island with tons of gold and dubloons for a new player. The key is in the pond at the top of the waterfall.

Captain Falcore makes some nice SoT videos.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
MMOs usually have low review scores at launch, because of lack of content, which is actually normal for an MMO and by design, so new players don't get overwhelmed. Most MMOs that turn out to be successful have a good base to start out with that hook players and that was the case with SoT. Elder Scrolls Online for example had a 71% metacritic at launch and now it has sold more than 15 million copies and has an active monthly user base of 2.5 million players. The first major expansion for SoT came out two months after launch and there has been a steady flow of content ever since. SoT just won a 2021 BAFTA for best Evolving Game.

In case I didn't make myself clear, I think this new DLC is brilliant but not enough to be GOTY. Also your point is solid as well. Cheers and hope you all enjoy.

mcjmetroid

Oh dude... Cmon it's a ratchet and clank game...ratchet and clank games are fun but they're not THAT good.

Besides game has only been out a week. Chil.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Finally sat down and 100%ed this. Got all commendations to unlock the POTC shanty.

Leave it to Rare to make the best POTC game ever. That final Tall Tale and the use of Zimmer's music is just so perfect.

Top Bottom