• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ScreenRant: Starfield Could Be The Xbox Exclusive That Saves The Series X

Are gamers pushing their expectations for Starfield too high?

• Yes, gamers need to temper the hype

Votes: 166 78.7%
  • No, Starfield will meet or exceed everyone's expectations

Votes: 45 21.3%

• Total voters

SteadyEvo

Speaking to Starfield, from what I’ve seen… I dunno. Wasn’t blow away and the fps didn’t do it any favors. I think that was a year ago so maybe that’s improved. Then again I’m kinda burnt out on massive complex games. But hopefully it turns out well for all involved.

My issue with that reason is PC already has such issues, access and remedies etc. It's not like consoles are reinventing the wheel.

It would be a nice app to have, mod management I mean. After all the emulation, previous gen apps Xbox built into the OS why not go a bit further.

Modding I think defeats the purpose of console gaming: simplicity. Mods inevitably leads to tweaking.

Also I'm sure quite a few Starfield mods need better hardware than Xbox to run.

BlakeofT

I hope the game is good, but I'm not sure I'll pick it up for Xbox. My computer is around 6 years old and never was top of the line. So I guess I'll get the GOTY version on sale for $10 in 2027 when I can finally upgrade my computer.

Astray

Gold Member
I think Xbox fanboys tend to downplay its importance to protect themselves if it turns out to be mediocre and PS fanboys inflate its importance so they can celebrate if it turns out mediocre.
Both positions are honestly pointless, Sony had an initial flop with No Man's Sky and they survived mainly because they had other good titles coming.

The big issue is that Xbox has genuinely been so starved of system sellers that they had to place a lot of hope into Starfield, the fact that the title is being cited in regulator reports in the ATVI purchase process only adds to this.

This is the title that will likely define this gen's console race imo, and for many reasons.

ByWatterson

How did Xbox even find themselves in this position? It should've been clear to them years ago that they simply cannot rely on Halo, Gears and Forza, especially considering two of those franchises have had strings of mediocre releases for a decade. They should've been looking at their competition and invested heavily in the development of new first party titles to compete with Sony's. Now here we are. Their leadership is grossly incompetent.

They did, right? They just have had unbelievably bad management and nothing of note from their investments has come out yet.

It's pretty insane, honestly. Essentially none of the promise of their acquisition spree has borne fruit half a decade later.

Esppiral

This game is being over hyped to death, you know what happens when something is over hyped? No matter how good it is, it won't meet expectations, mark my words.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
There's little doubt that Starfield is a make or break game for Xbox right now. Halo and Gears are in the twilight of their relevance, and the former won't see another new entry this gen. If we are still living in a world where marquee exclusive titles matter, then Starfield is gonna be it.

That said, MS has a lot of studios working on a lot of things, and I'm sure many quality titles in the pipe. But a lot of them are still quite far away, and few of them have anywhere near the level of hype going for them as Starfield. We're at a point in the gen where Sony is starting to roll out their heavy hitters, and MS needs something top tier.

SJRB

Gold Member
How fucked must your 20-studio gaming division be if apparently all hope is on one notoriously technically incompetent studio with a terrible track record working on a game that looked aggressively mediocre in almost every way with gameplay mechanics that already seem archaic before the game is even out.

People seriously expecting Starfield to be the second coming of christ are up for a rude awakening.

Im fearing it will be case of quantity over quality.
There is for sure some merit to your fear.

To me though, its that the little bits of this experience that I feel would help make it all cohesive just aren't there. My top 3 for BGS remains unchanged after having experienced much of it: Oblivion == Skyrim > Fallout 3.

Last edited:

MikeM

Modding I think defeats the purpose of console gaming: simplicity. Mods inevitably leads to tweaking.

Also I'm sure quite a few Starfield mods need better hardware than Xbox to run.
Anyone who plays with mods on PC that combining some will break stuff. They would need to do a lot of QA for each mod which no one wants to do.

Well it's made by the BGS main team who has literally not made a game that wasn't great in quite some time, maybe ever, so I expect it will be great, but Xbox doesn't need saving so it's not going to be a "savior"

Roberts

I loved how space expansion was portrayed in Ad Astra movie. It is probably one of the very few sci-fi movies where humanity's ascent into the stars is shown as a miserable endeavour - it's depressing and bleak, it barely works, it's dangerous and most importantly, kind of pointless. And I kind of hope Starfield will have some of that stuff in it opposed to Star Trek's optimism. But who am I kidding, I will play it no matter what. Bethesda never disappointed me and I don't see a reason why this one will.

Stuart360

Well it's made by the BGS main team who has literally not made a game that wasn't great in quite some time, maybe ever, so I expect it will be great, but Xbox doesn't need saving so it's not going to be a "savior"
I think people forget Bethesda have multiple teams, and multiple studios under them.
Todds team, the ones actually making Starfield, their last 5 games were Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim, Fallout 4.

If Starfield doesnt end up a good game, it will be a first for that team.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I think it's always a better idea to temper expectations and be pleasantly surprised rather than overhype a game only to be disappointed because it only got a 90 on Metacritic.

Last edited:

Mephisto40

It could also be an epic failure

Looking forward to it, but i'm fully expecting it to have game breaking bugs when it releases

You can pretty much guarentee the main story will be uncompleteable at launch due to some stupid bug

ACESHIGH

Banned
Let me be honest : the bolded part falls into the "persecution complex" category, if people are going to be shitting on Starfield is because it's a Bethesda game and if you 've been alive for more than 20 years you'd know what you're signing in for...
They may create memorable games but...their last 3 games (Skyrim, FO4, FO76) have all been a complete clusterfuck each for their own reasons and got good yeaaaars after their release.

Also : you say Rockstar, I say CD projekt - a company that everybody loved and sucked their dick and yet, we all know what happened when Cyberpunk got released, the meltdowns and shitting were a thing to behold, so no, people are not as stupid or misguided (or "fanboys") as you claim to be brother, if a product reeks, it reeks and it will be scrutinized no matter what, it has nothing to do with whether it's on X or Y plastic box, multiplatform or not.

Cheerio

Other than fallout 76 which it's something entirely different since it's an online game I don't see how Skyrim and FO4 were complete clusterfucks when compared to other AAA games that do way less.

The issues are overstated because these games historically had poor performance in a family of consoles that have the most marketshare. A platform where Starfield won't be releasing. But played just fine on the other and shine on PC.

And comparing rockstar and CDPR is a bit unfair. Rockstar does way less on SP games vs CDPR with way more budget.

I am playing RDR2 now and like the game specially because we don't have many western games. But its mission design is straight from the early 00s. CDPR at least upped the ante on AAA WRPGs with each Witcher release. Games have yet to match and surpass Witcher 3.

Last edited:
People are putting too much expectation into one game when the problem is, no matter how good or bad it is, the question is always going to be: "so what's next?". Until we get a better answer for that it'll just be the same ol' same ol'.

Tokio Blues

It will be very buggy and it wont be polished. Also, the fact that it wont have the transition when you are landing on a planet its a boomer. I dont know man, was very hyped at start. But know I m not very optimistic about this.

Last edited:

Chronicle

And you Eddie? You feel it's been hyped too much? Lol. If I had to say who is overhyping anything it's you.

So I'm calling it now: Stealth Starfield thread!

Retire.

StueyDuck

2 points...

Is the series X really dying 🤔

Is starfield really being anticipated the same as cyberpunk 2077 / elden ring / hogwarts were. I hardly know anyone anecdotally in my gaming circle who is chomping at the bit for it 🤔

Topher

Gold Member
2 points...

Is the series X really dying 🤔

Not even a little

Is starfield really being anticipated the same as cyberpunk 2077 / elden ring / hogwarts were. I hardly know anyone anecdotally in my gaming circle who is chomping at the bit for it 🤔

Those games were not equivalent in hype levels. I'd say Starfield has less hype than Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring. Hogwarts was a big unknown so there was more uncertainty than hype. Starfield is somewhere inbetween Hogwarts and Cyberpunk/Elden Ring, imo.

There is nothing needing "saving" here at all, but I think most will say that Starfield is an important new title that a lot of people are looking at as a sign that Microsoft has begun to correct the issues with their first party AAA development beyond just getting out the checkbook.

StueyDuck

Those games were not equivalent in hype levels. I'd say Starfield has less hype than Cyberpunk 2077 or Elden Ring. Hogwarts was a big unknown so there was more uncertainty than hype. Starfield is somewhere inbetween Hogwarts and Cyberpunk/Elden Ring, imo.
I disagree with that purely because hogwarts was smashing steam sales before the game even came out.

Starfield seems way way below all of those games. Comparative to a halo infinite at best. I know hard-core elder scrolls fans who still play skyrim who don't even know what starfield is.

I am just not seeing all this insane hype in real life talking to actual gamers, seems more of a Twitter console war thing.

This is all anecdotal till we actual sale numbers. I am just not seeing it with real life gamers, where as with the other titles I saw people come out the woodworks that haven't played games in years pre-ordering them.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I disagree with that purely because hogwarts was smashing steam sales before the game even came out.

Starfield seems way way below all of those games. Comparative to a halo infinite at best. I know hard-core elder scrolls fans who still play skyrim who don't even know what starfield is.

I am just not seeing all this insane hype in real life talking to actual gamers, seems more of a Twitter console war thing.

This is all anecdotal till we actual sale numbers. I am just not seeing it with real life gamers, where as with the other titles I saw people come out the woodworks that haven't played games in years pre-ordering them.

Yeah, but Hogwarts was still an uncertain title until the reviews hit and the positivity in reception shot the hype through the roof overnight. Elden Ring, Cyberpunk, and Starfield are all games that have are/were anticipated for years.

bxrz

Buying their way to IPs already in development is not the same as promoting development from their existing studios and teams. While they’re absolutely hoping Redfall and a Starfield knocks it out of the park, every other MGS studio project — Perfect Dark, Fable, Everwild — is in development hell.

Microsoft has a twenty year history of mismanagement, of which I’ve opined here at length in the past. Had they invested in the properties they once owned over the years they wouldn’t be in the current situation where they’re trying to buy their way to relevance.
Where are you getting that Perfect Dark, Fable and Everwild is in development hell. You just made that up to push a narrative

Humdinger

I lean Sony, but this idea that one particular game is going to "make or break" Xbox is tired. We've heard it over and over, and it's never been true. A massive business will never stand or fall based on one single game. That's silly, especially when you consider MS has just gobbled up so many huge studios, which will be churning out "product" fairly soon.

Is Starfield a big-budget, highly anticipated game for Microsoft? Sure. Will mediocre reviews and sales destroy the Xbox brand forever? Of course not. It'll further damage Bethesda's reputation, but it won't sink Xbox. They have plenty of other games in the pipeline.

Sentenza

Well, ok.
I don't give a shit about saving the Series X, I'm still playing the game on PC, like pretty much everything else.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
- this game could save the Xbox brand
- the Series are selling better than past Xboxes
- but... needs to be save
- *sigh*

Top Bottom