• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn Is an Xbox Series X Console Exclusive Because It “Enables Parity With the PC Version of the Game”

Most likely timed. Once the exclusive window is over, it’ll be on PlayStation.

Shutting out the worlds most popular games platform seems kinda unwise.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

Maybe maybe not.

Being exclusive has the advantage of getting hyped by fanboys no matter how bad your game is lol

I can't lie I was a fan of the abstract concept and look of it until I saw gameplay and how it was ruined by it. How can you be so creative and then make this game a slow walking FPS? It's as if the developers ran out of creative juices when they hit the gameplay concept part of the game. No level of funding is gonna change that problem unless they completely scrap that idea.

thelastword

Banned
If that is gameplay....I’m not surprised they didn’t show this during the XSX video reel from a few weeks ago.
I was impressed by the cutscenes and artstyle when they showed it years ago on PC. I think the cutscenes still look impressive, but now I'm seeing gameplay for the firstime, it's not all that great. The world is very empty, not busy enough, and I don't get the same sense of atmosphere like we did in the cutscenes, during this gameplay snippet

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

This and Medium are exclusive to Xbox Series X. Using the worlds most popular console does not give you exclusive port begging rights.

-YFC-

I highly doubt that even the xbox version is on par with my 3000 usd pc.
I'm not buying that ssd streaming high tech console talk.

-YFC-

500 vs 3000. I think you need a reality check.
I think you misunderstood me. As I lurked here a few month ago, people were claiming that these next gen plastic boxes will be much more powerful then the currently available pc hardware.
Which, at this point, is obvious to anyone that it was a lie.

sendit

I think you misunderstood me. As I lurked here a few month ago, people were claiming that these next gen plastic boxes will be much more powerful then the currently available pc hardware.

To be fair. Most PC gamers aren’t rocking a 2080 TI. These new consoles will be more powerful in gaming related task than what most people own.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
As per this dev, XSX is better than his 8700K RTX 2080(read the tweet at OP and the post from him at the end of page)

martino

To be fair. Most PC gamers aren’t rocking a 2080 TI. These new consoles will be more powerful in gaming related task than what most people own.

to be fair how long will it take for this to be true for most console only people too.

Last edited:
Here is another interview. I thought there were enough Scorn Dev threads, wasn't sure where to put this, so I am just picking the more recent thread.

How much has the game changed in the time that it has been in development?

A basic structure is still there, but if you were to play builds of the game now compared to the builds from few years ago it sometimes feels like a completely different game.

H.R. Giger’s work needs no introduction, and also has a special place in the history of horror media. You’ve said that Scorn is inspired by that same line of work, but how much of the experience revolves around that?

The experience revolves around similarity in subject matter. Subject matter that Giger explored in his work. It’s not similar to his work for similarity’s sake. And no, it’s not about aliens.

It definitely seems like everything in Scorn – from the weapons to the enemies to the world itself – is taking a lot of cues from Giger’s work. Does that, in a way, also allow you to let your imagination run wild as designers and developers when it comes to creating things like the sort of weapons players will be using, and the enemies we’ll be running into?

It’s not about taking cues from his work. It’s about developing ideas and concepts you want to explore and then making it work in a context of the world. Doing it any other way would be just surface deep, without any substance.
Audio is often an overlooked but extremely important part of any game, and that stands doubly true for horror titles. With Scorn coming to Xbox Series X, how has the console’s hardware allowed you to elevate that particular aspect of the experience?

For horror titles audio is about 50% of the experience. Technology should be in the service of the art, not the other way around. Once certain technology reaches its intended potential, and that happened with audio a long time ago, it becomes much more about skill and ideas than about the newest technology available. The technology just goes to the background. Let me put it this way. I would rather hear sound design by Walter Murch done on a 4 track tape deck and running in stereo on the original Xbox, than an average sound designer’s Dolby whatever work on new state of the art equipment implemented with the newest Xbox Series X all immersive audio engine.

Can you talk about why you’ve decided to launch Scorn as a console exclusive for the Xbox Series X? Is there a chance that the game eventually ends up coming to the PS5 as well?

It’s very simple, good performance of the game is important to us. Series X is very capable hardware that enables parity with the PC version of the game. We can’t discuss any info regarding PlayStation.

What sort of length are you targeting for an average playthrough of Scorn?

For an average player, 8-10 hours.

What resolution and frame rate are you targeting on the Xbox Series X?

4K at 60FPS.

Since the reveal of the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s specs, a lot of comparisons have been made between the GPU speeds of the two consoles’ GPUs, with the PS5 at 10.28 TFLOPS and the Xbox Series X at 12 TFLOPS- but how much of an impact on development do you think that difference will have?

Graphics scale quite well, so while there will be some differences you will have to watch Digital Foundry videos to notice them. If it’s important to you that your preferred hardware wins then the differences will be huge, if you want to play games then not that much.

There is a difference in Zen 2 CPU. The Xbox series X features 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.8GHz, whereas the PS5 features 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz. Your thoughts on this difference?

The most important thing is that we are done with those Jaguar CPUs from current gen. If we are talking direct comparison it will be a minuscule difference.

The PS5 features an incredibly fast SSD with 5.5GB/s read bandwidth. This is faster than anything that is available out there. How can developers can take advantage of this and what will it result to, and how does this compare to Series X’s 2.4GB/s SSD read bandwidth?

For a system to take the full advantage of the next gen CPU/GPUs the amount of data needed to be streamed in and out of memory is pretty big. That’s the main reason why both console manufactures went with the SSDs and a specialized I/O approach. This approach was pretty much a necessity. You could for example get similar results with average SSD speeds and more memory. You would have to preload more game data into memory, but on the other hand your SSD wouldn’t need to fetch that much data every second. When next gen engines start to incorporate these kinds of workflows, some new possibilities will open up in theory. Like having an open world game with high fidelity assets found in smaller scale games, or as they said in the Unreal 5 tech demo, movie quality assets.

What are your thoughts on the Xbox One X’s Velocity architecture and how will it make development easier on it? Additionally, some reports have suggested that the Xbox Series X’s BCPack Texture Compression technique is better than the PS5’s Kraken. What are your thoughts on all this?

People tend to look only at the raw speed numbers of SSDs but that doesn’t tell you the whole story. Let’s say you have an SSD with a real-life performance of 2GB/s. Does that mean that 10GB of game data would be loaded in 5 sec? No, it doesn’t. Getting files off the SSD is only one part of loading the game, there are other process that need to happen as well. That’s where these special hardware and software techniques come in, to speed up all these processes as much as possible. What combination of features and techniques will come on top and by how much is hard to say at the moment.

Top Bottom