• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scorn Developer: Xbox Series X Scorn Trailer Was Running on an RTX 2080Ti

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The trailer was labeled as 'in-engine footage representative of expected Xbox Series X visual quality', which usually means it was running on PC. If so, can you share the specs used?

Now, this is a tricky question as for some reason a lot of people feel that it should be quite easy to get 4K 60FPS on the PC even with this graphical fidelity, and that really isn't the case. For the showcase we used 2080Ti and a Ryzen processor just because there was no reason not to use it, but a 2070 Super with a mixture of settings is adequate to run the game at 4K 60FPS.

What's your take? :goog_unsure:

EDIT: Thanks to IntentionalPun IntentionalPun

MBFWkmy.png

"Game and console in development; in-engine footage representative of expected Xbox Series X visual quality".

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I'm not sure if I can read these little letter with transparency effect :D
Is that the Xbox event?
The text is blatantly obvious at different points in the video; if you didn't notice it.. I can't imagine you actually watched the whole show.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
But the 2080Ti is 13.4TF base clock? Shouldn't be 2080 Super that matches it?

12.1 to 13.4 is closer than 10.2 (variable boost mode) to 12.1 We keep hearing TFs don't matter anymore and the power difference between the XsX and the PS5 is too small to make a difference. So Yeah, 2080ti is very close to the XsX GPU and that perfectly reasonable representation

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The flops are irrelevant comparing AMD to nVidia. You won't get like for like performance considering that they use different architectures.

They can clearly say it's PC footage instead. The Godfall trailer was running on PS5, but the leaked older footage was not and declared clearly. The event is called "Xbox Series X Gameplay Event". The XSX version won't be off by a big margin, but still vague with that transparent text.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
12.1 to 13.4 is closer than 10.2 (variable boost mode) to 12.1 We keep hearing TFs don't matter anymore and the power difference between the XsX and the PS5 is too small to make a difference. So Yeah, 2080ti is very close to the XsX GPU and that perfectly reasonable representation

Why not say running on PC? There is no mention of it.

Ellery

I always wait with graphical judgement for when the game runs with actual gameplay on the actual console or when I play it myself.

Xbox Series X could be pretty close to a 2080 Ti, but I am not a big fan of comparing consoles to PC hardware. Too many variables and at the end it is mostly about the game and the optimization.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You really have to be dense to not have noticed that text and assumed the games were running on PC... literally makes no sense to include that fine print otherwise.

Let's type it here and see how clear it was:

"Game and console in development; in-engine footage representative of expected Xbox Series X visual quality".

I can't read PC or other device in there but the first thing came to mind is xbox dev-kit instead of final XSX console.

On steam the recommended requirements are much less than even a 2070 Super, I am thinking they are perhaps outdated, maybe the game has progressed quite a bit technically since it first was announced?

As far as this quote, I don't see an issue. Didn't we pretty much already know this?

IntentionalPun

Let's type it here and see how clear it was:

I can't read PC or other device in there but the first thing came to mind is xbox dev-kit instead of final XSX console.
Early dev kits are just high end PCs....

Bo_Hazem

Banned
They had the 'representative' disclaimer on the bottom, and anyone with a brain knows what that means. If they were trying to decieve people (which is what you're trying to suggest) they would of had no disclaimer at all.

Anyone with a brain would think it was running on early dev-kit, with all due respect:

Just like the UE5 demo was running on a PS5 dev-kit not the final console. Does that make me deceived? I can't see it that way.

Last edited:

Relativ9

Console rendering power vs PC rendering power is apples to oranges, you can't simply count terraflops or CU units to figure out how a game will run on one vs the other, consoles are specialized game-running machines that have very little other background processes stealing resources when compared to a PC, and their I/O's are especially custom built to facilitate games. From the stats it's looking like the series X GPU is more or less on par with the 2080 Super, but it will probably be able to push more because it doesn't have to also be everything a PC has to be. Also the core speeds when boosted are considerably higher than a 2080Ti.

There's similar confusion about the PS5 and it's SSD, PC gamers think that "I put an SSD in my PC and it didn't make my games much faster" without realizing that virtually no games for PC are built to take proper advantage of the SSD and even fewer motherboards do (which is especially true for pre-built "gamer rigs" from brands like Alienware, Omen, ect).

Technology wise, the next generation is probably one of the more excitingly "high end" power-leaps we've had since 32 to 64bit.

Stuart360

Anyone with a brain would think it was running on early dev-kit, with all due respect:

Just like the UE5 demo was running on a PS5 dev-kit not the final console. Does that makes me deceived? I can't see it that way.
Well early dev kits are just PC's anyway. You're a fanboy, trying to start something that doesnt exist. Even the resident fanboys had no problem with this when the show was on, so i dont know why you are trying to start something now. Everyone knows what it means, and its somehting that has always happened with 'next gen' games shown way before the release of new consoles.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well early dev kits are just PC's anyway. You're a fanboy, trying to start something that doesnt exist. Even the resident fanboys had no problem with this when the show was on, so i dont know why you are trying to start something now. Everyone knows what it means, and its somehting that has always happened with 'next gen' games shown way before the release of new consoles.

You seem to be overreacting there. But hey, be happy, it's on the 2080Ti turf if you look at it from that perspective. Still, it's a PC build.

Last edited:
Based on what? IPC of RDNA1 was basically already the same as Turing. Who knows how much gains RDNA2 made.
Ahh so you’re saying that it’s okay to show how games will run on a future AMD GPU by using Nvidias current best GPU.

That AMD secret sauce is coming... eventually!
or you can just get the Nvidia GPU right now

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really?, i was thinking the same with you and this thread. Slow news day in the 'Next Gen' thread?

Do you find anything misleading in the thread? If not, move on. This only means "wait until you see it running on the actual hardware", whether it would be better or worse. Most people understood it as dev-kit, and I don't think it's crazy to think so. Just like Quantum Error trailer, it was running on a PC, not a PS5 dev-kit. So Sony didn't put it in the official Playstation channel on youtube.

It's not that complicated.

jimbojim

Banned
Based on what? IPC of RDNA1 was basically already the same as Turing. Who knows how much gains RDNA2 made.

RDNA 1 is nowhere near close Turing architecture, let alone RDNA 2. Just compare Minecraft RT on PC and XSX. PC version is far more complex and also it sustained higher fps count. XSX version is quite the opposite.
Despite AMDs 7nm vs NVIDIAs 14nm, Turing is still more energy-efficient and architecture is simply better on Nvidia. AMD with RDNA 2 somehow got close, but that's not enough.

Ampere will just butcher RDNA 2 soon.

IntentionalPun

Are you sure? Have you seen an XSX dev-kit or it was clearly saying that there are non? Dev-kits are dev-kits, but some companies don't get them. PS5 dev-kit is not a PC.

Early Xbox "dev kits" are PCs with the OS and tools installed.. the HDDs formatted with the file system Xbox uses, etc.

That's how it's been in the past at least. Nobody knows much about early XSX dev kits.. and the word on the street was tons of devs didn't have one at all.

Probably because the XSX is basically a PC anyways.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Early Xbox "dev kits" are PCs with the OS and tools installed.. the HDDs formatted with the file system Xbox uses, etc.

That's how it's been in the past at least. Nobody knows much about early XSX dev kits.. and the word on the street was tons of devs didn't have one at all.

Probably because the XSX is basically a PC anyways.

Probably because they're keeping them for 1st party? You can see that those are dev-kits, that lit one is obviously a running dev-kit. They tend to stack them for development fluidity:

this-is-what-the-xbox-series-x-devkit-looks-like-2.445x245.jpg

Devkit-Xbox-Series-X.jpg

Like here with PS5 devkits:

chrome_2019-12-02_08-17-45-1024x575.png

Seems like using 2 together for better workflow?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Probably because they're keeping them for 1st party?

Perhaps? But I imagine the major 3rd parties have them.. but not dinky indie devs.

The Xbox One eventually could be converted into a dev kit for anyone to use.. that's likely MS's plan. Indies have to wait until retail to fully get a true XboxSX Dev kit and might just be getting the XDK for PC or something for now.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Perhaps? But I imagine the major 3rd parties have them.. but not dinky indie devs.

The Xbox One eventually could be converted into a dev kit for anyone to use.. that's likely MS's plan. Indies have to wait until retail to fully get a true XboxSX Dev kit and might just be getting the XDK for PC or something for now.

I remember seeing a dev-kit app on their website for PC, maybe that's for small developers. But I think by then both PS5 and XSX could be turned into a devkit? Or have an add on to make them 100% legit?

EDIT: Here:

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

I remember seeing a dev-kit app on their website for PC, maybe that's for small developers. But I think by then both PS5 and XSX could be turned into a devkit? Or have an add on to make them 100% legit?

EDIT: Here:

Yes.. as I said in that post lol

Top Bottom