• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientists Create Tiny Artificial Brain That Exhibits 12 Seconds of Short Term Memory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Medalion

Banned
t800metal.jpg

Don't worry ppls, we won't have to bow to the robot overlords, we will just become the robot overlords by the way of integration (robot nanobots integrated into our bloodstreams).

Accept or perish.

sans_pants said:
why are you guys so freaked out about this?

The peanut gallery is freaked out by this because they don't understand, whereas the rest of us are freaked out by other things (because we do understand).

Always-honest said:
Awesome and stop right there. Point proven, get back to curing cancer.

Science is pretty much like X-Com, you just hire 100 scientists and they can work on lasers, medicine, artificial intelligence, high energy physics, biology, whatever. When you finish one project you just go on to the next one with the same team. Also, twice as many scientists means the research is done twice as fast.

dejay

Banned
Always-honest said:
Awesome and stop right there. Point proven, get back to curing cancer.

Science doesn't work in isolation - results from one field often help the efforts in another field. One would think studying the way neurons connect and work would lead to breakthroughs in neurology. Specifically brain tumors; you know, cancer.

(edit) Meh, I probably have cancer of the sarcasm meter.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
dejay said:
Science doesn't work in isolation - results from one field often help the efforts in another field. One would think studying the way neurons connect and work would lead to breakthroughs in neurology. Specifically brain tumors; you know, cancer.

(edit) Meh, I probably have cancer of the sarcasm meter.
your sarcasm meter is out of control?

zmoney said:
do these people ever watch terminator....terrible idea. but cool nonetheless

The better question is do you watch terminator? Those movies weren't about AI killing us, it was about us killing us. People forgot this and made many shitty sequels upon sequels.

ringofpower00 said:
The better question is do you watch terminator? Those movies weren't about AI killing us, it was about us killing us. People forgot this and made many shitty sequels upon sequels.

Pretty sure it was about a cyborg from the future that came back to kill the leader of the future human resistance after an A.I. nuked the entire world. I may be wrong though, it's been at least three months since I last watched it.

Interesting, but did the scientists really "create" something here? Or did they just set up an experiment that demonstrates an existing property of rat neurons to persistently transmit a signal?

Lucky Forward said:
Interesting, but did the scientists really "create" something here? Or did they just set up an experiment that demonstrates an existing property of rat neurons to persistently transmit a signal?

They grew the rat neurons in a lab. They didn't just grab existing ones and wire them up.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
ThoseDeafMutes said:
Pretty sure it was about a cyborg from the future that came back to kill the leader of the future human resistance after an A.I. nuked the entire world. I may be wrong though, it's been at least three months since I last watched it.
yes, but why did those humans create nukes, why did they create such intelligent A.I., why did they put it in charge of their military.

he's absolutely right. it all stems from their motivations and how they are self-destructive. that's the fundamental message being delivered by that movie.

Angry Fork

IamMattFox said:
I'd buy a lamp that looked like that if they sold one.
plasma-balls.jpg

Not as colorful as the OP picture but still cool. Some guy on youtube has like a 3 ft. long plasma ball it's so awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Esperado said:
We just gotta make sure some asshole doesn't put it into some kind of weaponized robot.
Right. Right...we have to ....prevent that. Right. Uhm....did the article say if these guys have published yet?

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Jason's Ultimatum said:
http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs11/i/2006/214/5/f/Mother_Brain__Final_Battle__by_Cortus.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
heh, brain in a petrie dish controlling a huge underground military complex, spanning most of a planet. nice connection.

ThoseDeafMutes said:
They grew the rat neurons in a lab. They didn't just grab existing ones and wire them up.
It sounds to me like they did...

The did so by attaching a layer of proteins to a silicon disk and adding brain cells from embryonic rats that attached themselves to the proteins and grew to connect with one another in the ring seen above.

Trent Strong said:
Doesn't sound artificial.

In this context I think it just means that they put it together or that it didn't grow from an embryo, like other forms of tissue engineering or whatever, it's artificial because they used some process to put it together.

Anyways, this is awesome. I love stuff like this, brains are really interesting.

edit:

Lucky Forward said:
It sounds to me like they did...

That's an insignificant distinction, if they were harvested and placed on a medium that's similar in implementation to just culturing neurons, it has more to do with how they organize into networks and how they can be observed. This configuration would be never found in nature and would have to be intentionally created in a lab.

Equus Bellator Apex said:
This isn't a good idea.
You're no fun. I could use some device like this to help me remember girl's names at bars. At 12 seconds, it's already an improvement over my own memory.

Prez

So once they can mimick long term memory, there will finally be a revolution in battery technology?

Scrow said:
yes, but why did those humans create nukes, why did they create such intelligent A.I., why did they put it in charge of their military.

he's absolutely right. it all stems from their motivations and how they are self-destructive. that's the fundamental message being delivered by that movie.

You're blaming the victim. If they knew Skynet was going to go berserk they never would have built it in the first place, nor put it in charge of anything. Nuclear weapons have been promoters of peace far more than war throughout our history by their destructive nature, and the A.I. was presumably (they never mention it) put in charge to take panicky, unreliable humans off the nuclear hair trigger. The problem is, of course, that it could apparently launch without authorization, something nobody would ever design into the system even if they trusted the A.I. completely, but that's one of those things we have to excuse because it's fiction and the movie never could have happened without that implicit but stupid design decision.

JohnTuk

Banned
Cool. Maybe in the next few year we'll be able to buy brain spare part!

New Fontal Cortext 2100! Now with Overclock mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom