• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scars Above - Metroid Prime x Tomb Raider (TGA 2022 Trailer)

VN1X

Banned

Yes I am basically doing free marketing for this game but what I said in the YT comments is true! It's easily one of my most anticipated games right now. The demo I played was chock-full of content and managed to both look great and play well on my ageing PC to boot. Add to that a bit of Metroid (Prime) environmental puzzles and atmosphere and you've got yourself a cult classic* in the making.

*I say that because I seen so little hype for it so far which is a damn shame!

XBOX Store | PSN Store

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
LOL so every sci-fi third person game where you control a lady is now Returnal? I see...

I guess we can call it a Returnallike hah (aside from some skindeep comparisons it honestly has nothing in common with that game btw).

Reactions: PJX

VN1X

Banned
Hell, I just realized it even shares DNA with Dark Souls. Specifically with how the saving works which is basically like the bonfires from that series: You save at a specific point and in doing so you respawn all of the enemies again. Also, as you progress you start to loop back in on previous areas through shortcuts as well. It's all really well realized I thought.

vaibhavpisal vaibhavpisal during the demo I distinctly got that Metroid Prime feeling of isolation after landing on a hostile planet. Combat, scanning and the atmosphere in general all reminded me of it.

Last edited:

Kupfer

The concept is interesting and promising, but I won't be buying crossgen titles anymore.
Looks too much like a PS4 title and will therefore will be limited in typical last-gen fashion.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
LOL so every sci-fi third person game where you control a lady is now Returnal? I see...

I guess we can call it a Returnallike hah (aside from some skindeep comparisons it honestly has nothing in common with that game btw).
You need to be pretty blind to not see returanl in this

S0ULZB0URNE

Yes I am basically doing free marketing for this game but what I said in the YT comments is true! It's easily one of my most anticipated games right now. The demo I played was chock-full of content and managed to both look great and play well on my ageing PC to boot. Add to that a bit of Metroid (Prime) environmental puzzles and atmosphere and you've got yourself a cult classic* in the making.

*I say that because I seen so little hype for it so far which is a damn shame!

XBOX Store | PSN Store

"Metroid Prime x Tomb Raider"

BTdQwD2.gif

If the Tomb Raider part is the third person shooter gameplay, fine. If the Tomb Raider part is Uncharted style climbing, then fuck that noise. Uncharted climbing is the worst mechanic to be copied.

PJX

This topic reminds me of when majority of Nintendo fans were calling almost every open world game a BOTW clone. Now we got Sony fannies calling every 3rd person adventure game with a woman a Returnal clone.

SLB1904

Banned
This topic reminds me of when majority of Nintendo fans were calling almost every open world game a BOTW clone. Now we got Sony fannies calling every 3rd person adventure game with a woman a Returnal clone.
Too bad xbox got no game to be compared to :p

Last edited:
  • Triggered

bender

What time is it?
df294f921c7e529ac4febf914367b998.gif

• Triggered

SaintALia

Ah, reminds me of ReCore, but slower paced I guess. Actually I feel it more reminds me of that third Lost Planet game.

Can't say I'm a fan of the pace though.

SaintALia

Was that ever a thing?

I do remember people calling out two specific games as BOTW clones though, that Phoenix game from Ubisoft and Genshin Impact. And I think it's hard to argue against either of those being heavily inspired by BOTW. I think that multiplayer sorcerer game as well, but I think that was mostly an aesthetics thing.

PJX

Was that ever a thing?

I do remember people calling out two specific games as BOTW clones though, that Phoenix game from Ubisoft and Genshin Impact. And I think it's hard to argue against either of those being heavily inspired by BOTW. I think that multiplayer sorcerer game as well, but I think that was mostly an aesthetics thing.
Yes it was a thing. Not sure what you were doing at that point in your life but you couldn't escape it. I remember having numerous discussions with fellow developers / artist about this topic. it has died down but I wouldn't be surprised if it comes back up again when the new Zelda game is released.

Looks as jank when I first saw the unknown YT alpha footage with no fanfare. Metroid Prime I can see, but what's Tomb Raider about it? Her ass? Where's the awesome platforming?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It briefly looked great but then they showed gameplay beyond just walking and then the combat. It would probably seem a lot better in first person without those character animations and camera angles. We'll see.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Combat seems slow. If there isn't huge zones with a focus on Exploration then it isn't anything remotely like Metroid Prime and the puzzles and platforming don't seem like Tomb Raider either.

Cautiously optimistic.

Edit: There is a demo on Steam. Imma check it out probably tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom