• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCARLET NEXUS - Xbox Series X Early Demo Gameplay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister Wolf

I like it, better than the overhyped overrated critically acclaimed nier , nier made me disappointed about action jRPGs but this has the potential.

I found Nier disappointing as well. Getting all the endings wasn't worth the time and effort I put in to it. I already got this preordered.

spartan30gr

I played the game on series x and the vibration on my controler whas extreme loud in battles
I dont now if was the demo ,or my controler is broken :messenger_neutral:

Aion002

Just played on the series s.

What I liked:

Cool character models, awesome combat, excellent special effects, locked 60 frames.

What I disliked:

Linear stages, generic world (mix of SAO Fatal Bullet + Code Vein + God Eater 3 assets style), terrible enemy design, animu as fuck, I didn't care about the story and characters at all.

Seems fine, I will play on game pass eventually.

Last edited:

intbal

Here are my thoughts after about a half hour of play on Xbox One X.

"This is awesome! What the hell is going on?"
"I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going! Oh, the whole game world is only a few feet wide. I'll find my destination eventually."

I looked at the menu/inv/skills pages. I'm never going to learn all that.

Here are my thoughts after about a half hour of play on Xbox One X.

"This is awesome! What the hell is going on?"
"I have no idea where I'm supposed to be going! Oh, the whole game world is only a few feet wide. I'll find my destination eventually."

I looked at the menu/inv/skills pages. I'm never going to learn all that.

That's the beauty of games like this. You don't need to. You learn what you want to.

Just played on the series s.

What I liked:

Cool character models, awesome combat, excellent special effects, locked 60 frames.

What I disliked:

Linear stages, generic world (mix of SAO Fatal Bullet + Code Vein + God Eater 3 assets style), terrible enemy design, animu as fuck, I didn't care about the story and characters at all.

Seems fine, I will play on game pass eventually.

How could you care about the characters and story, they intentionally don't give you the heavy story bits, just what appears to be a general new recruit training mission of sorts.

Here are a few things to watch I guess to get an idea for the world and what's going on.

It's ok, the telekinesis is very basic and nowhere near as fun as it is in other games, graphically it's no impressive at all at least not in the section I've tried so far.

Aion002

How could you care about the characters and story, they intentionally don't give you the heavy story bits, just what appears to be a general new recruit training mission of sorts.

Here are a few things to watch I guess to get an idea for the world and what's going on.

Yeah, I saw those... It's the typical God Eater story and characters, I have been playing their games since the psp, it's fine but I expected more.

Maybe I played too much of their games, so for me it's more of the same. I am not necessary complaining, it's just that it didn't do much for me.

fallingdove

Ehh. Looks average.

Having played through Code Vein multiple times now, this game seems to be a step up in terms of graphical detail but the gameplay looks far less engaging. Mash mash mash, psychic throw, mash mash mash, anime cutscene finisher/super move.

Ehh. Looks average.

Having played through Code Vein multiple times now, this game seems to be a step up in terms of graphical detail but the gameplay looks far less engaging. Mash mash mash, psychic throw, mash mash mash, anime cutscene finisher/super move.

It doesn't have to be a masher if you don't want it to be. From the demo it's clearly not your typical masher. Some combinations of enemies really put up fight, forcing you to utilize certain SAS abilities and focusing on specific enemies first. You have to be a bit more deliberate and pick your spots in some cases, especially with the boss enemy shown. Depending on the combination of enemies, you have to target and stun or expose a weakness of a specific enemy fast to remove them from the fight.

fallingdove

It doesn't have to be a masher if you don't want it to be. From the demo it's clearly not your typical masher. Some combinations of enemies really put up fight, forcing you to utilize certain SAS abilities and focusing on specific enemies first. You have to be a bit more deliberate and pick your spots in some cases, especially with the boss enemy shown. Depending on the combination of enemies, you have to target and stun or expose a weakness of a specific enemy fast to remove them from the fight.

That’s kind of the bare minimum for a game like this.

Would have rather they made the psychic stuff central to combat and hack and slash secondary. Hell - Gravity Rush 1 and 2 gave this game a template to work with… Instead, this game feels like the sort of copy paste anime action-rpg game we have been playing for the last 10 years.

Maybe there is something more here (Code Vein and Tales of Berseria surprised me a little bit) but from what has been shown so far, this feels like low 70s on Metacritic.

That’s kind of the bare minimum for a game like this.

Would have rather they made the psychic stuff central to combat and hack and slash secondary. Hell - Gravity Rush 1 and 2 gave this game a template to work with… Instead, this game feels like the sort of copy paste anime action-rpg game we have been playing for the last 10 years.

Maybe there is something more here (Code Vein and Tales of Berseria surprised me a little bit) but from what has been shown so far, this feels like low 70s on Metacritic.

If you're a big anime and JRPG fan you've seen some version of this many times before. What's different is the world and how it's presented, the characters and their specific stories, what ultimate plot is being told, what's the justification for the abilities you have, what's the larger threat, what secret is waiting to be unlocked. Just like any anime I don't just immediately say I've seen this before, I give it a chance to show me what makes it different. There are already a number of pretty unique things I like about the world. The OSF, I love the brain angle, the way you link and borrow abilities of party members. Even if I've seen the mechanic in places before, the why and justification are everything to me in these kinds of games. I like the concept they're going for, and I'm pretty eager to see where it all goes.

Ovek

7Member7
It’s made by the same people who made my favourite big titty vampire demon soul game? Sweet will have to check it out.

Hestar69

I wouldn't be surprised. It's been heavily marketed with Xbox from the start. We shall see. I'm definitely buying this, though. Certain games I just plain have to throw money down on to support the team further.
has it been? That would be amnazing if it does and save me 60.00 lol

has it been? That would be amnazing if it does and save me 60.00 lol

Yep, the game was first revealed at Xbox's event, and since then it has been marketed heavily with Xbox. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if it were actually secretly a game pass day one, but they're waiting closer to release to make that clear. Either way, though I subscribe to Game Pass, this game must get my money, as any game I truly love does.

Hestar69

Yep, the game was first revealed at Xbox's event, and since then it has been marketed heavily with Xbox. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if it were actually secretly a game pass day one, but they're waiting closer to release to make that clear. Either way, though I subscribe to Game Pass, this game must get my money, as any game I truly love does.
I Hope so that would be awesome if they did. I'm trying ot sve up for a ps5 atm so if it comes to game pass that saves me some money.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can think about us Xbox gamers when we will be waiting 2 years to play Athia and one year for FF XVI. Still cannot play FF VII Remake as well.
This is why I chose Playstation and Nintendo over Xbox, I'm a big fan of Japanese games and most Japanese games I enjoy just skips over Xbox. Even with Scarlet Nexus MS only got the marketing rights for the game so they get demo a week sooner but when full game releases I still get to play it on my Playstation.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

This is why I chose Playstation and Nintendo over Xbox, I'm a big fan of Japanese games and most Japanese games I enjoy just skips over Xbox. Even with Scarlet Nexus MS only got the marketing rights for the game so they get demo a week sooner but when full game releases I still get to play it on my Playstation.
Its the same for me with anything JRPG, annoying really but is what it is.

Thing pushing me to get this on Series X is how incredible it looks in 4K.

Danjin44

Its the same for me with anything JRPG, annoying really but is what it is.

Thing pushing me to get this on Series X is how incredible it looks in 4K.
It's what it is because most Japanese games sell more on Playstation and Nintendo over Xbox. I mean NiER Replicant also came out on Xbox but I'm pretty sure it sold more on Playstation because most audience for most Japanese games are on that system.

There is also good chance Scarlet Nexus will sell more on Playstation rather than Xbox even tho MS went through the trouble getting marketing rights for it.

sublimit

Banned
I think because one of producers from Code Vein is also on this.
I'm prdtty sure it's more than just the producer.This game screams God Eater (Shift) all over the place. If anything the tales guys are probably in the minority. Especially when considering the amount of people currently working onTales of Arise.
But we can only know for sure when we see the credits.

cireza

Banned
This is why I don't choose Playstation as I don't want to support the shit practices from Sony that consist on locking multi-platform games to a single console with money.

One day Square-Enix will understand how disrespectful this is for the Xbox fans trying to support them.

Last edited:

Renozokii

This is why I don't choose Playstation as I don't want to support the shit practices from Sony that consist on locking multi-platform games to a single console with money.

One day Square-Enix will understand how disrespectful this is for the Xbox fans trying to support them.
Blame you Xbox buddies. Every hint of numbers of Japanese game sales on Xbox point at them may as well not bothering. Look at nier replicant and kingdom hearts 3 sales in uk with both having an 80% split towards ps4. Even if it’s a bit better in the us you lose like 20-30 percent of sales but get Sony money and improve your partnership.

Danjin44

If majority of Xbox players are not interested in Japanese games why Japanese developers should bother releasing their games on Xbox?

LostDonkey

Another game for me couldn't even get through the tutorial, too many systems, sub systems, blah blah blah just let me twat stuff. Not got the patience anymore.

Rubbish

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
TLDC: A demo convinced me to buy a game I gave zero cares about.

I completely ignored this game after seeing the Xobx premiere/trailer they had during the XSX reveal.
Nothing about the game was appealing to me at all.

Played the demo for about 3 hours on Saturday. I did both character stores ( at first I did not care for the story retread then I realized that is is only a partial retread and came to appreciate it) and ended up really liking the vibe.

I preordered (I have a zillion months of GPU) the game because of the demo and I think they deserve the $.

cireza

Banned
Look at nier replicant and kingdom hearts 3 sales in uk with both having an 80% split towards ps4. Even if it’s a bit better in the us you lose like 20-30 percent of sales but get Sony money and improve your partnership.
UK retail sales don't mean anything. You can't compare incomplete numbers from a single country and draw worldwide conclusions. And there is a good chance that Xbox players buy more digital games. There are more PS4 than Xbox out there, so the split could never be 50/50 anyway. 30% split looks pretty good to me taking all of this into account.

If majority of Xbox players are not interested in Japanese games why Japanese developers should bother releasing their games on Xbox?
What is your source to back this claim ? I see Xbox players playing Japanese games all the time.

To me it seems that when Xbox players are not taken for complete fools, good things can happen. Pretty sure that SEGA have been very happy with the reception of Yakuza Like a Dragon and PSO2. FF XV also had good sales on Xbox. And NieR Automata, despite being released one year later, did well enough for Replicant to be a day one release. Namco Bandai is largely represented as well on Xbox etc...

Maybe if we gave Xbox players the opportunity to get these games from day one, they would not have to buy a PS4 or Switch to get them first, which would lead to lower sales on Xbox obviously.

But it's okay anyway, it seems that many publishers are finally seeing the light. I am simply pretty disappointed at Square-Enix after the good support they have been putting on Xbox, building a fanbase, to give them the middle finger three times in a row like this. They better prepare some good things for us as an apology.

Last edited:
Really cool game so far. Fun combat and nice graphics.

My one concern is how tubular the demo was, basically running from fight to fight in a straight line.

Danjin44

What is your source to back this claim ? I see Xbox players playing Japanese games all the time.

NieR Replicant sold more on PlayStation than it did on Xbox. I personally love to games like 13 Sentinels or Sakura Wars on other platforms so they could sell more but if publishers see those games won’t sell much on Xbox then they are not gonna bother.

cireza

Banned

NieR Replicant sold more on PlayStation than it did on Xbox. I personally love to games like 13 Sentinels or Sakura Wars on other platforms so they could sell more but if publishers see those games won’t sell much on Xbox then they are not gonna bother.
These are "UK retail only" sales numbers :messenger_neutral:

Have you only read my previous post ? I address this point already.

Last edited:

Danjin44

These are "UK retail only" sales numbers :messenger_neutral:

Have you only read my previous post ? I address this point already.
So let me ask you this, do you think in US Nier Replicant sold more on Playstation or Xbox? I mean you cant deny the fact there more fan for Japanese games on on Playstation and Nintendo than there is on Xbox.

I hope to Xbox players support Scarlet Nexus but the fact is most of audience for Japanese games are in Playstation and Nintendo systems.

GHG

Gold Member

I take it you don't have an Xbox either then?

Danjin44

Lets hope Scarlet Nexus sells well on Xbox, I want to see games like this to sell as much as possible, maybe will we see more Japanese publishers willing to release their games on Xbox.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
Lets hope Scarlet Nexus sells well on Xbox, I want to see games like this to sell as much as possible, maybe will we see more Japanese publishers willing to release their games on Xbox.
I will be getting Scarlet Nexus day one, exactly as I did for FF XV, Code Vein, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dead or Alive 6, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, NieR Automata, NieR Replicant etc... Looking forward to Tales of Arise as well.

Danjin44

I will be getting Scarlet Nexus day one, exactly as I did for FF XV, Code Vein, Dark Souls 3, Sekiro, Valkyria Chronicles 4, Dead or Alive 6, Dragon Ball Fighter Z, NieR Automata, NieR Replicant etc... Looking forward to Tales of Arise as well.
giphy.gif

Also really looking forward to Tales of Arise and hope we get demo for like we did with Scarlet Nexus.

blackjon24

Demo now out on PlayStation.

Accidentally downloaded ps4 version was disappointed with the performance I quickly realized my error and downloaded the ps5 version which was much smoother.

So far I like it but controls especially the camera felt a bit dated. It seems like one of those games where the combat will get better since some basic moves like downward attacks was locked on the skill tree until I unlocked it. I liked using my teammates for attacks and the telekenise powers worked well enough.

I really liked the enemies but not a huge fan of the environment so far even though the art style is interesting the level design so far leaves a bit to be desired.

I didn’t have a lot of time last night so I was skipping cutscenes. Lots of those comic book style cutscenes which look a little budget. The real cutscenes look really awesome.

My hype has calm down significantly definitely not a game of the year contender but I’m intrigued enough to get the full game

Last edited:

Danjin44

I amost forgot the demo is coming out today for Playstation (blaming MHRise), downloading the demo now.

Last edited:

Danjin44

Damn the combat really smooth here, between using your powers while melee fighting is really nice, I don’t have any issue with the camera so far.

As for the VN like cutscenes, it basically similar to Gravity Rush and Bayonetta so I don’t have that much issue.

My only problem is this one of those games with characters are talking while you are fighting and if you playing it with Japanese voices you miss most them because concentrating on the fight.

I wish I liked English voices like I did with NieR, but really don’t.

This definitely must buy for me.

Last edited:

Arsic

Tried it on PS5 today. I was already hyped for this since they announced it, but getting to play blew me away.

This is easily the best anime game we've got since this one got a real budget. Voice acting, visuals, art style, atmosphere, soundtrack, and gameplay is all AAA quality .

Gameplay could be the best action game of all time. I played on hard and used everything on a regular basis to be successful, and the game rewards you for mastering its systems quite well. Hopefully it ratchets it up more as the game goes on.

If story pans out and the gameplay isn't cheesable early on, then this is a GOTY contender for me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom