• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlet Nexus UK boxed charts: 80% PS, Xbox 20%

Most games sell better on Playstation bar indies maybe

Yes.

It used to happen in early 360 era too when core player base had migrated to it.

Due to Xbox one reveal I feel core player base moved to PlayStation and haven't returned ever since.

Will be a hard faught gen for xbox but I feel they will win it. Going by whatever has happened till now.

DavidGzz

Yes.

It used to happen in early 360 era too when core player base had migrated to it.

Due to Xbox one reveal I feel core player base moved to PlayStation and haven't returned ever since.

Will be a hard faught gen for xbox but I feel they will win it. Going by whatever has happened till now.

Yep, now imagine if Game Pass was a thing back then. If Gears, Halo, PGR, Blinx(lul), etc were on it, how many games would they sell? No nearly as many. MS seems to be ok with amassing subs and letting that revenue snowball over selling millions and millions of games.

I wonder how many active Xbox gamers there are. I bet Game Pass is up to 28-30 million subs. Probably a 90% adoption rate by Series console purchasers. I personally don't buy the claim that Game Pass subscribers buy more games. Why wouldn't Sony gamers buy more games when they don't have access to Game Pass? I haven't bought a game since Returnal and I only bought that to validate my PS5 purchase. I regret spending $70 on it. So yeah, indirectly GP is good for Sony since I am more likely to get even the ho-hum Sony exclusives.
90%? U are outside of your mind

DavidGzz

90%? U are outside of your mind
No estoy fuera de mi mente.

How many Xbox Series have been sold, 6 mil? There are probably 30 mil subs now. Doesn't seem crazy to me. GP is a no-brainer. I don't even know an Xbox gamer without it. I know ~15 Xbox owners.

Last edited:
I think Sony will more easily get 3rd party exclusives seeing as how lopsided sales are. I'd rather they create their own exclusives/i.ps but just saying.

Raekwon26

No estoy fuera de mi mente.

How many Xbox Series have been sold, 6 mil? There are probably 30 mil subs now. Doesn't seem crazy to me. GP is a no-brainer. I don't even know an Xbox gamer without it. I know ~15 Xbox owners.

Just making stuff up now huh?

Pull n Pray

Banned
1. Xbox doesn't release hardware numbers anymore, so we likely won't get this information. We know that PS5 has sold more than Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. But does PlayStation have a 4:1 lead over Xbox in the UK as the software sales split suggests? I don't have the numbers, but this seems a bit unlikely to me.

2. No. Although we don't have official numbers, whatever little data we have indicates that PlayStation gets more digital downloads. For now, I think it's safe to assume that both have an equal digital sales ratio.
I really doubt #2. In my experience, people who only purchase physical games are much more likely to game on PlayStation. You have a source?

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
With so much new stuff coming on Game Pass, buying for Xbox almost sounds weird

I'll probably buy this later

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I really doubt #2. In my experience, people who only purchase physical games are much more likely to game on PlayStation. You have a source?
This is the closest we have in terms of physical : digital sales split. PS leading with 52%, PC is second at 27%. If we allocate everything else to Xbox, it would be 21%. A ratio of 2.47. PS vs. Xbox console sales would roughly be a ratio of 2.40.

There were some other more recent data post-COVID that showed that digital downloads jumped up to 70% on PlayStation. Because of the high PS userbase (~120 million) vs. Xbox userbase (~50 million), even Xbox has an 80-85% digital sales ratio, the end-result wouldn't be much different. The overall digital sales would still be around 70% in favor of PlayStation and 30% on Xbox.

Hezekiah

Banned
I wonder how many active Xbox gamers there are. I bet Game Pass is up to 28-30 million subs. Probably a 90% adoption rate by Series console purchasers. I personally don't buy the claim that Game Pass subscribers buy more games. Why wouldn't Sony gamers buy more games when they don't have access to Game Pass? I haven't bought a game since Returnal and I only bought that to validate my PS5 purchase. I regret spending $70 on it. So yeah, indirectly GP is good for Sony since I am more likely to get even the ho-hum Sony exclusives.
If Microsoft had anywhere near 30m subs, don't you think we would have heard about it by now.

The last number given through official channels was 18m so that sounds like a huge overestimation.

1. Xbox doesn't release hardware numbers anymore, so we likely won't get this information. We know that PS5 has sold more than Nintendo Switch and Xbox Series X|S. But does PlayStation have a 4:1 lead over Xbox in the UK as the software sales split suggests? I don't have the numbers, but this seems a bit unlikely to me.
But why do you think it is unlikely?
I mean, it is almost CERTAIN that 4:1 split or worse is what is happening in Europe as a whole. So if it is plausible for Europe to be that lopsided, why not the UK? What is your reasoning for "it is unlikely"?
If the only info we have suggest 4:1 split, then that is what we have until proven otherwise. If Xbox can prove us wrong then they can do that. But it is not up to consumers to give the benefit of the doubt to any company.

And with Xbox claiming hardware sales not mattering, doesn't that mean it is easy for them to lose ground on the part of not doing anything to stop it? If you don't care about the sales of something, then it makes sense that you would sell less of that something.

DavidGzz

If Microsoft had anywhere near 30m subs, don't you think we would have heard about it by now.

The last number given through official channels was 18m so that sounds like a huge overestimation.

I thought Jez Corden and Shpeshal Ed were essentially insiders and they claimed 23 mil on April 20th. That was a gain of 1.5 mil per month since they announced 18 mil. It's snowballing and after E3 and the continued hunger for gaming is any indication the snowballing should be continuing. So that would put them at least 4.5 mil above the 23 mil figure by July 20th. So at worst 27.5 mil and I think the average gain could be closer to 2 mil per month. We'll see soonish I bet.

sendit

Most probably don't even own or care about the game in the first place lol, but anything for console wars. :)

How many can show that they actually supported the game?

U24LV0s.png
?

F5g7bbG.png

gusUq1b.jpg

Furball

Is it even worth a purchase is the question...

Need something to fix my JRPG itch.

Well , game is flaw . But for me it fun .

1. Story kinda confuse and incoherence becasue u have to play two route to understand story . But so Far i think story is ok and I like the cast

2. Side quest just bad , can skip them so no problem

3. Dungeon not really has anything to write home about , pretty basic later one can kinda long .

4. Gameplay is nice and has good idea but has some flaw like u cany Dodge cancel and some enemy design really cheap. But overral fun to play

5. Music is nice

6. Character design is good and their extra costume also nice . I like the world setting

7. No full cutscene during talking most of time . Mostly tell story in manga style pannel . This is a hit or miss depend on you .

In short , it is a 7/10 game . A good one but has flaw . If you looking for some new experience then i think this one will be good but if you looking for some high budget with familar formula (ex : expect combat to be smooth as Platium ) , i think u will dissapoint

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Not enough information to draw any reliable conclusions.
I started my comment with that -- that there is no official data, but whatever little data we have points to PlayStation having more digital sales. I also said it is safe to assume that both consoles have a similar digital sales ratio until we get official data.

If anything, the argument that PlayStation has more physical sales and Xbox gets more digital sales is flawed and should not be entertained.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
The most interesting thing is the 20% split for the second best selling console of all time - which ties into parity with the xbox brand. What is it now? 7.5 milion units sold for PS4 in UK?

PS5 is what, around 1 million in UK? I think those figures are roughly right based on various articles and reports and a little bit of Intermediary forecasting/educated guessing.

It's obviously not selling widely because of its mass appeal. So the question is really going to be why so many sales on such a small platform reach? That's effectively what the data is showing us. Then you have to think of early adopters, all these delays to games, likely to be affluent if they have a next gen console etc.

For me the data shows that most PS5 owners were probably PS4 owners so the excellent back catalogue with PS+ Collection isn't keeping people away from buying new (mediocre) games. It also shows that there is a dearth of games for the next gen early adopters to spend their money on. Effectively the fact it is a new game is driving sales because there is nothing to play. And probably the reason we also saw the same with Dark Alliance. Unless PS5 players suddenly dropped their standards for what they consider games worth purchasing are.

fallingdove

So you bought all the games you wanted to play, available on service?

Browsing through hundreds of games like a giant demo disc eliminated any interest I had in the handful of games that were worth anything. It honestly created ADHD like symptoms where I would quickly download and pass over games that I may have paid full price for outside of the GP service.

I could see myself resubbing for a month every now and then if only to take advantage of day one loopholes but I don’t have the time or interest in browsing/demoing a bunch of video game filler to justify a long term subscription.

To be clear, I feel the same way about PSNow. I had a 30 day subscription with that service as well. Both GP and PSNow diminish my love for games.

yazenov

It's a Japanese action RPG by Bandai. Of course it sold better on PlayStation. Sony should be worried if it didn't.

Have you read this thread? Its been addressed already.

1- Most multiplatform games sell better on PS, not just JRPGs . Examples have been give already.
2- This game has been marketed by MS. Yet, the ratio is still overwhelmingly in favor of PS. One would wonder without the marking by MS, how much worst the ratio would have been for Xbox.

Browsing through hundreds of games like a giant demo disc eliminated any interest I had in the handful of games that were worth anything. It honestly created ADHD like symptoms where I would quickly download and pass over games that I may have paid full price for outside of the GP service.

I could see myself resubbing for a month every now and then if only to take advantage of day one loopholes but I don’t have the time or interest in browsing/demoing a bunch of video game filler to justify a long term subscription.

To be clear, I feel the same way about PSNow. I had a 30 day subscription with that service as well. Both GP and PSNow diminish my love for games.

Fair enough.

I don't use it to demo games. Very rarely, 5-10 hrs in if I am not feeling a game, I move on.

I keep 2-3 games to play online with friends, 4-5 SP games to burn through on my own. Fills the hard drive and keeps me focused.

Opening gamepass selection screen or when new games drop definitely is distracting when I am enjoying something. So keep that to a minimum.

I have found some of my most favourite titles recently due to service that I most definitely wouldn't have bought otherwise like Monster hunter world, Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 4.

KAL2006

Banned
If Sony went the Gamepass route Devs would be fucked. I think most Devs depend on retail sales from PlayStation and make extra income with gamepass on top. I'm not sure if Devs would be that favourible of Gamepass and putting their games in there if both companies had Gamepass. So it's in Devs and Microsofts best interest if Sony avoid Gamepass service (Now is garbage in comparison and doesn't count). I wonder if Sony can be tactical and have a contract term on PlayStation like if a game released on PS5 it isn't allowed to be available for a free on a competitors subscription service for atleast 2 years. Devs would just scrap Gamepass if they did that or release 2 years later.

Seems like Square gets marketing deal with Sony a but if time exclusive then after that's over they go to Gamepass. Sony can easily create contracts where no Gamepass allowed for 10 years if they have a marketing time exclusive deal in place.

Hezekiah

Banned
I thought Jez Corden and Shpeshal Ed were essentially insiders and they claimed 23 mil on April 20th. That was a gain of 1.5 mil per month since they announced 18 mil. It's snowballing and after E3 and the continued hunger for gaming is any indication the snowballing should be continuing. So that would put them at least 4.5 mil above the 23 mil figure by July 20th. So at worst 27.5 mil and I think the average gain could be closer to 2 mil per month. We'll see soonish I bet.

23 million as of April. They’re hitting 30 million by the time Halo Infinite is out easily.

They're not official numbers.

Some of those numbers sound like pie-in-the sky thinking.

Yes this is a very healthy attitude if you want game developers to stop creating games for your platform. I think gamepass is a very bad precedent and if I were a publisher, after seeing these drastic differences in sales a few more times, I would drop publishing on the Xbox consoles. It’s not worth the money if you don’t get any sales.

Now tell me about used physical games? The same gamers who feel this way never bought new games before, they waited for the second hand market. GamePass is not hurting game sales.

DavidGzz

I'm not giving numbers 😁.

You're trusting an 'insider', then applying some back-of-a-fag-packet arithematic.

I'll wait for the official numbers.

I think you'll be pleasantly disappointed. When you gain 1.5 million subs per month with no exclusives it's pretty easy to deduce that the numbers will go upwards at least as much when Forza 5, Halo Infinite, The Ascent, Flight Simulator, etc come to Game Pass. I could be wrong and maybe since things are opening back up, and it's summer time, the kiddies are out playing instead of inside playing videogames and the Game Pass subs took a huge downward spike. I'll happily eat crow.

This is interesting, taking myself as an example, looking at my library I tend to buy disc versions on Playstation and most of my Xbox collection is digital. I am UK based. and I have lots more games on my Xbox than playstation.

I posted similar, earlier in the thread and was told this kind of behaviour was a "Tired and debunked excuse." (for what I don't know)

Incidentally I have sinced purchased Scarlet Nexus (digital on Xbox). paid most of it with rewards points, then got the 6000 rewards points for getting it.

Papacheeks

Banned
If Sony went the Gamepass route Devs would be fucked. I think most Devs depend on retail sales from PlayStation and make extra income with gamepass on top. I'm not sure if Devs would be that favourible of Gamepass and putting their games in there if both companies had Gamepass. So it's in Devs and Microsofts best interest if Sony avoid Gamepass service (Now is garbage in comparison and doesn't count). I wonder if Sony can be tactical and have a contract term on PlayStation like if a game released on PS5 it isn't allowed to be available for a free on a competitors subscription service for atleast 2 years. Devs would just scrap Gamepass if they did that or release 2 years later.

Seems like Square gets marketing deal with Sony a but if time exclusive then after that's over they go to Gamepass. Sony can easily create contracts where no Gamepass allowed for 10 years if they have a marketing time exclusive deal in place.

It's how developers get bonuses and great stock options which are sometimes dependent on how the studio as a whole performs with their titles.

Gamepass is money upfront for the developer, and obviously there are bonuses based on milestones, but a lot of those I believe for larger AAA studios do not get met which is why your seeing more PC developers, which know they will get straight sales from Steam/Epic.

I'm still trying to figure out why some of you guys give a fuck when you don't even game on XBOX. If GamePass is terrible for the platform and third parties (it's not) as you say why do you care?

Also UK physical sales mean jack squat. I like numerous people in this thread abandoned physical years ago.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I think you'll be pleasantly disappointed. When you gain 1.5 million subs per month with no exclusives it's pretty easy to deduce that the numbers will go upwards at least as much when Forza 5, Halo Infinite, The Ascent, Flight Simulator, etc come to Game Pass. I could be wrong and maybe since things are opening back up, and it's summer time, the kiddies are out playing instead of inside playing videogames and the Game Pass subs took a huge downward spike. I'll happily eat crow.

Gamepass is still converting existing Xbox Live subscribers, so no doubt there’s still plenty of time to go before numbers go down.

Top Bottom