• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlet Nexus |OT| サイバーパンク Saibāpanku desu yo!

Yamisan

This code is for PS5 if anyone wants it, Its for the weapons given out to newsletter subs. They're not that great, only 34 dmg. Nice to have though

5 Weapon DLC
ND6E-ACNX-3TKD​

Thank you for being a subscriber! Now you can continue on your adventure well equipped with the 5 weapon DLC set. OSF Recruits, keep a look out for more SCARLET NEXUS related promotions in the future!​

JORMBO

Darkness no more
This code is for PS5 if anyone wants it, Its for the weapons given out to newsletter subs. They're not that great, only 34 dmg. Nice to have though

5 Weapon DLC​

ND6E-ACNX-3TKD​

Thank you for being a subscriber! Now you can continue on your adventure well equipped with the 5 weapon DLC set. OSF Recruits, keep a look out for more SCARLET NEXUS related promotions in the future!​

Cool thanks !

It seems like not much love for this game? Even after quite alot of positive reviews.. I am 5 hours in and liking it so far. Hope it doesnt take a down turn.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It seems like not much love for this game? Even after quite alot of positive reviews.. I am 5 hours in and liking it so far. Hope it doesnt take a down turn.
I personally LOVED this game, but "anime" games won't get much love in GAF most of the time.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played another 5 hours of this today - I'm at the end of Phase 9 in Yuito's story.

Can't wait to see how this all wraps up.

Pantz

Gold Member
I've been texting a few people like Yuito's brother, ending texts with "No reply is necessary". It's been a pretty fun troll.

Also, what do I have to do to make this happen?
13fj0M4.jpg

Try as I might to influence my main character, Yuito seems oblivious to Hanabi's advances. Let me RPG dammit.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Now that the game has been out for a while, is it worth buying at full price? Worth waiting for a sale?

Pantz

Gold Member
Now that the game has been out for a while, is it worth buying at full price? Worth waiting for a sale?
It's solid enough for full price if you're really in the mood for a heavy anime themed action-JRPG. Definitely worth it at a sale.

Mini-review: Story is good. Combat is both really cool and also can be repetitive. Side content/collecting all items is mostly filler and a time sink. A second playthrough from the other character's playthrough seems like it will be cool but I haven't tried it yet.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I cleared one story last week. My initial impressions of the game were super positive but got worse towards the end. The dungeons start to get super long and there are only a few enemy types. The last dungeon is just arena after arena after arena of fighting enemies I killed a billion times before. It got to be really tedious.

I still liked the game a lot, but hope they improve on that if they make another game. I’d give this a 7.5/10.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
jshackles jshackles Ive been thinking of picking this up for ps5.. You haven't steered me wrong so far in the RPG world. What do we think
It's a solid game, but like J JORMBO said above, the repetition of the enemies in the game is probably it's weakest point.

Characters are good and the story goes in some unexpected directions. I'd give it an 8/10 for sure.

Aldric

Just finished Scarlet Nexus today, Yutio's story. What a great little game this is. Sure it's a blatantly low budget effort and it shows but it might have my favorite combat system in any action rpg I've ever played. Once you get all your abilities and know how to mix them up it becomes a real joy to play. PC version is great too which oftentime isn't the case for this type of japanese games. It feels and plays like a PS2 era action game with of course more bells and whistles thanks to a very solid art direction, it's a shame we don't get more games like this. Highly recommended and hopefully we get a sequel.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I'm like 5 hours in and I'm largely disappointed so far. I like the combat a lot, but everything else to me is very mediocre. The areas can get long, but insanely linear. There's really not much to do in terms of content other than advancing the story. Just the bare bones of side quests. And it seems like you have all these areas with absolutely nothing important in them whatsoever other than to revisit every now and again and see if there's a small side quest there to accept.

I'll finish it, but nothing has gripped me so far or even close.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I finished it and honestly. This game was not good in my opinion. I thought it was a huge disappointment based on how many good reviews it got. I honestly don't know what people saw in it.

Riddled and I mean riddled with anime tropes.

Bland corridor dungeons.

It's honestly pointless to have a party in this game. Your protag does like 99.9% of the work with SAS, the party members in combat are virtually useless unless you need to be revived.

50% of the game is dialogue, it becomes tedious.

But the worst part of the game and I'm marking it with spoilers.

So little enemy variety.

And I don't know if it was something I was doing wrong, but what the fuck is the point of locking on if when an enemy moves out of the way in the middle of a combo if you just keep swinging at air? Isn't the purpose of locking on so your attacks always follow the enemy no matter what? That's how other games have always done that. Got so tired of enemies moving and unable to break combo, Yuito just swinging at air hitting nothing. It was infuriating.

The final dungeon in this game was absolutely fucking horrendous. It was like 3 fucking hours long and it just kept going and going. And you just essentially went back through all previous dungeons in the game backwards fighting the same enemies over and over. What a lazy fucking design. And a disgrace to have a dungeon that long when the game itself is like 25-30 hours. How is your final dungeon so long in a game so short? Totally out of whack.

And the final boss was horrible. You barely see the damn guy in the game. You talk about him a lot, and for a guy who is barely on screen for most of the game he has 3 fucking forms? Totally over the top for such a lame enemy. The final boss fight was so tedious. And my god... he did all that to save a chick???

I remember hearing him over and over "I can't... give up... I must... save her." I was like jesus fucking christ this guy is still going. It was so annoying. And then after the credits, there's a part where you can talk to the individual characters and they just go on and on and on, essentially adding another 30 minutes to the ending, which was already way too long.

And in typical anime /JRPG trope fashion, they sympathize with the bad guy no matter how many bad things they do. Borderline crying when he teleports back to the past. I hate that trope.

My goodness, what a tedious game. No chance in hell I play through this again. I think it was mediocre at best, and probably below average. I think it did way more wrong than it did right.

Last edited:
And I don't know if it was something I was doing wrong, but what the fuck is the point of locking on if when an enemy moves out of the way in the middle of a combo if you just keep swinging at air? Isn't the purpose of locking on so your attacks always follow the enemy no matter what?
IIRC based on the demo, the system prioritizes direction+attack over lock-on so make sure your L stick is angled accurately while attacking or simply keep the L stick neutral. If the enemy dodged away during your attack string then they earned that dodge.

IMO the main purpose of lock-on is to ensure your TK attacks hit the enemy you want, preferably going for a guard crush or whatever it was called. It also helps when performing follow-up attacks.

Also, in the options menu you can configure the target switching to work either by flicking the R stick or by holding the L bumper and flicking the R stick (this is the default setting).

The default setting allows you to manipulate the camera while staying locked on to a target but it can be cumbersome in practise. Useful for when you wanna run around looking for a specific object to smash into that one target though.

And yea, the game soft-punishes you for mashing attack since you can't animation-cancel but you can activate SAS anytime if you have them ready.

jshackles

Game is 40% off on Xbox for Gold members this week:

If you've been on the fence, now's the time this is a great price for this game.

TheMan

FYI this game is on sale for 36 bucks on the xbox marketplace. Bought it last night but havent' played it yet

YukiOnna

I beat both routes a while ago and thoroughly enjoyed learning the full story, but it's nice to see them still updating the game with new QoL features and free gameplay updates.

1.04 Update:
- New Bond Episodes
- New SAS Abilities
- DLC Pack 1 w/ New Costumes designed by Kozaki Yusuke (Fire Emblem, No More Heroes, etc)
- New Weapons

Last edited:

JayK47

Interesting game. I am having a lot more fun with it than I thought I would. Playing on GamePass PC. Combat is fun and the characters are cool.

JayK47

Wrapped this up. It kind of overstayed it's welcome at the end. The end levels felt like they were never going to end. It started to get tedious. I am guessing if you play as the other character, it is somewhat a different game. Not sure if I could go through it again.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Is it worth picking this the ultimate edition for 30€?

Just tried the demo and really liked it.

It's worth it, $30 now seems like a little high. If you have a PC or Xbox, the game is available on game pass on either. If not, the Ultimate Edition doesn't include any story add ons, its just a digital soundtrack and art book (both of which you should be able to find on youtube or any other place). If you can find the base game cheaper, I'd say just go for that.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's worth it, $30 now seems like a little high. If you have a PC or Xbox, the game is available on game pass on either. If not, the Ultimate Edition doesn't include any story add ons, its just a digital soundtrack and art book (both of which you should be able to find on youtube or any other place). If you can find the base game cheaper, I'd say just go for that.

Thanks for the feedback man!

I've been waiting on it to drop on PS plus, but it's taking forever. The ultimate edition come with the season pass. It just missing the Brain eater episode I think.

I'll wait a bit to see what they announce for PS Extra this month. Promo only ends on 12/10/2022.

Last edited:
Top Bottom