• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlet Nexus |OT| サイバーパンク Saibāpanku desu yo!

YukiOnna

Getting consecutive perfect dodges is not that difficult since it doesn't take long to understand the enemy's attack pattern. There's also more than enough chances to keep them stunned to a degree if you manage your psychokinesis gauge fine or maneuver out once you unlock the aerial dashing. If that's still a problem then SAS abilities give you more options if you're using utility ones like Gemma's or Luka's.

Last edited:
You claim to be a fan of these games, and then complaining about anime style characters and stories? This honestly gets old. Shitty dodge? You enable the teleportation and then try that dodge again? And if you think the dodging is shitty it's because your timing and awareness of the battlefield is bad.
The implication of your post above is that you haven't played the game so you don't know what you are talking about.

The dodge is shitty. It has nothing to do with timing and reaction. Actually, it does since this game is unlike most modern action games you have to dodge even before enemy wind up. Again no iframes is an idiotic choice.

And I like some games. Good anime games that don't feel like lifeless generic crap. Something like 13 Sentinels or even hell Asura’s Wrath. Beyond the fancy graphics, this is extremely by the numbers.

The implication of your post above is that you haven't played the game so you don't know what you are talking about.

The dodge is shitty. It has nothing to do with timing and reaction. Actually, it does since this game is unlike most modern action games you have to dodge even before enemy wind up. Again no iframes is an idiotic choice.

And I like some games. Good anime games that don't feel like lifeless generic crap. Something like 13 Sentinels or even hell Asura’s Wrath. Beyond the fancy graphics, this is extremely by the numbers.

Oh no, I haven't started my full play through of retail, but I've played the demo a shit ton of times, and what you say about the combat just doesn't hold up based on that playtime. And I saw the skill trees, and added abilities and saw how far it could go to get deeper, especially when you mixed party member abilities. The combat is damn good, as good as any of the later tales games I've played.

A "rebellion" that started basically off screen-based around a world setting that's barely been explored staged by characters that have maybe had 1 minute of screen time at best. Then anime boy goes to local hangout spot seemingly unaffected by the recent startling revelations to talk to the girl who clearly wants to jump his bones. But get this he's oblivious to it and she's his childhood friend!

This is really compelling. Why is this story good?

I guess it being "anime" excuses this.

Last edited:

Rickyiez

It's actually possible to improve both the TAA and the internal resolution. Yesterday I found out that you can modify the engine.ini file by adding some ue4 variables in there.
You can find a preconfigured one here, on "Nexus" mods of course.
Interesting , I will try out bumping up the internal resolution further without AA after work . This is the beauty of PCMR

As for a certain someone in this thread , dude spoiler-tag your shit it's clearly spoiler . If you don't like the game and wanted to spoil it , then ffs get out from this thread and go rant somewhere in Reddit .

Last edited:

Rickyiez

This reshade color mod looks amazing tbh

original
5-1624778025-343987620.jpeg

modded
5-1624778087-207634836.jpeg

Might take out some of the intended atmosphere but it looks more anime imo

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Stopped in the midst of Phase 8 on Yuito's side when you're in Togetsu and shiet. So many good info bombs. Answers some questions, but raises a lot of others. Game does not let up in its reveals!

TheMan

So the one review that convinced me to hold off described the game as being more story than game. Basically long-ass cutscenes with battle corridors in between.

Accurate?

So the one review that convinced me to hold off described the game as being more story than game. Basically long-ass cutscenes with battle corridors in between.

Accurate?

Kind of, yes. But the combat is really fun and you can always revisit areas you've been to to mess around with the combat.

anthony2690

Banned
Loving this game.

Got a spare preorder bundle code for Xbox, anyone want it?

It's accessories and costumes etc :)

Edit: gone now sorry!

Last edited:

cireza

The story is all over the place. Currently at chapter 9 with Yuito, and I just had a "summary of the story" by the team members in the form of messages. There is an inconsistency so big, I can't believe it.

They basically say this :
Kasane went in the past by opening a black hole (the Kunad gate)
But actually, the black hole is going to swallow the whole world !
Because of the existence of Yuito, the black hole cannot be closed either !
To avoid the world being swallowed, the Yuito from the future asked Kasane to kill the Yuito from the past, and Kasane went to the past as a consequence (opening the black hole doing so)

So basically, if Kasane had not travelled to the past : no black hole, no danger for the world, nobody should be killed. This is so, so dumb.

Otherwise having a good time with the game.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thought this was funny.

qvdos6-0uiQOQ4v.jpg
I'm just generally surprised that Penny Arcade is still making web comics

Man I need to get back to this game. Three day weekend coming up, hopefully I'll be able to finish it.

YukiOnna

Should be able to finish Yuito's side today since I think I'm on the last Phase and then will move onto Kasane's. Past the part you infiltrate Togetsu's BABE. Been a blast.

YukiOnna

The story is all over the place. Currently at chapter 9 with Yuito, and I just had a "summary of the story" by the team members in the form of messages. There is an inconsistency so big, I can't believe it.

They basically say this :
Kasane went in the past by opening a black hole (the Kunad gate)
But actually, the black hole is going to swallow the whole world !
Because of the existence of Yuito, the black hole cannot be closed either !
To avoid the world being swallowed, the Yuito from the future asked Kasane to kill the Yuito from the past, and Kasane went to the past as a consequence (opening the black hole doing so)

So basically, if Kasane had not travelled to the past : no black hole, no danger for the world, nobody should be killed. This is so, so dumb.

Otherwise having a good time with the game.
No I think you're mistaken. It's also in the Story summary, but:
Kunad Gate was triggered due to Kasane and Yuito's powers resonating in the first place. The Red Strings, as created by Togetsu, exist in both of them thus holding the same power. It activated for Kasane when she went to the future and met older Yuito. The reason she goes back to the past is covered in Phase 10.

cireza

No I think you're mistaken. It's also in the Story summary, but:
Kunad Gate was triggered due to Kasane and Yuito's powers resonating in the first place. The Red Strings, as created by Togetsu, exist in both of them thus holding the same power. It activated for Kasane when she went to the future and met older Yuito. The reason she goes back to the past is covered in Phase 10.
They say that Kasane is the one who opened the gate in the text messages that try to summarize the story in chapter 9.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Finished Yuito's side! Man, final boss was fun as hell- kind of reminded me of Vergil. Wasn't expecting such a spectacle and the final area was trippy in visual design. Massive info dumps starting Phase 8 onwards, but by the very end it's clear its for world-building/sequel hook reasons so I hope it sells well so it gets one! Very fun story and gameplay. There are some things they can improve on, but there's a solid foundation to continue off of.

I'll start Kasane's run after a little break.
They say that Kasane is the one who opened the gate in the text messages that try to summarize the story in chapter 9.
IIRC It's reiterated later it was due to both of them being close and activating the Red Strings. Kasane's power seemingly activated due to the shock reaction of Seto I believe and since Yuito was close, that triggered. Her travel to the future was related to something else and the past travel was essential. Basically, Kunad Gate would form regardless of the timeline. There are some other things, but I'll leave that out cause spoilers.

Last edited:

cireza

I still have to complete the game, so I will see this pretty soon. But this short message exchange really stand out to me.

Please put my quote in spoiler, I forgot to do it at first, but fixed it afterwards in the original post. Thx.

Last edited:

Karmic Raze

So, when I get a Series X in the next couple of weeks, is this worth picking up? I’m pretty big into anime style games.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I still have to complete the game, so I will see this pretty soon. But this short message exchange really stand out to me.

Please put my quote in spoiler, I forgot to do it at first, but fixed it afterwards in the original post. Thx.
It's better explained a bit later, but I also think you need the context of the other campaign to have a full understanding anyway.

So, when I get a Series X in the next couple of weeks, is this worth picking up? I’m pretty big into anime style games.
If you enjoy previous Bamco titles (GE, Code Vein, etc) and like fast action combat, I think you'll like it. It's a lot of fun and bonus if you enjoy anime games- very nice production quality. There's also a demo if you want to try that.

Karmic Raze

I haven’t had the chance to try out God Eater or Code Vein, but the interest was always there. I typically enjoy Bandai Namco titles and I like fast action combat too. I’ll try the demo, but I’m sure I’ll have to get it. Looks pretty cool! Thanks for the reply.

Last edited:

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Almost finished with my first playthrough as Yuito and I'm really enjoying it. Once you get somewhat deep into the skill tree and your companion bond levels the game really starts to click and shine combat wise. I'm literally on the last mission but up to this point I've enjoyed the story overall. There's some parts that are clunky but not enough to make me dislike it. The bond episodes are really well done though.
The final(?) bond story between Yuito and Tsugumi is freakin adorable!

I only really have two main criticisms of the game so far:
  1. The equipment upgrade path feels totally lackluster in that I have to put no thought into it. Finish a story episode and the next upgrade for me and my companions weapons are there ready to upgrade via exchange. Same with plugins. So I'm just going through the motions of getting back from the episode, go to the store, upgrade my weapons, buy generic plugin lvl IV, the V, then VI etc (or maybe there's a "unique" one I want to try out). Oh, and I also buy/exchange whatever presents are available.
  2. I could have done without the "Actually a 1000 year old dragon" trope. That will never not be weird to me.
Anyways, like I said, I'm really enjoying it. Looking forward to starting my Kasane playthrough to see how the story plays through via her POV!

ClosBSAS

game is legit fun...the combat gets so much better and so does the story. haters gonna hate, but best anime game so far. and i fucking loved code vein. i hope tales of arise is up to par.

YukiOnna

One thing I definitely hope they work on in a sequel is the side quest design. Would love if they were more interesting considering how much effort they put into the bond episodes when you didn't really have to do them. I'm sorry random OSF dude, I wasn't going to part with my Max Jelly when I got it...

jeffyjaixx

Just beat the game. Took about 28.5 hours from playtime for Kasane's side but in reality, probably an hour or two less since I let it sit idle sometimes... I did spend some time trying to do some side quests, trying for trophies and getting my bond levels up with my teammates. I would have liked to see more diversity in the environments. They did a lot of repetitiveness in the levels but the battle system and story was pretty good IMO. Little cringey at times but it's anime so expected. The boss music/OST is awesome in general. That final boss fight though was pretty epic and it seems they left the ending open for a potential sequel which is nice.

All in all a solid 8/10 for me which aligns pretty much with what most reviewers were saying it is around.

YukiOnna

Just beat the game. Took about 28.5 hours from playtime for Kasane's side but in reality, probably an hour or two less since I let it sit idle sometimes... I did spend some time trying to do some side quests, trying for trophies and getting my bond levels up with my teammates. I would have liked to see more diversity in the environments. They did a lot of repetitiveness in the levels but the battle system and story was pretty good IMO. Little cringey at times but it's anime so expected. The boss music/OST is awesome in general. That final boss fight though was pretty epic and it seems they left the ending open for a potential sequel which is nice.

All in all a solid 8/10 for me which aligns pretty much with what most reviewers were saying it is around.
Good thing is the Director says he hopes to do a sequel on his twitter so I hope he gets the greenlit. And yeah, the stuff regarding Togetsu, source of Others, and the situation on the Moon I knew was not going to be resolved here. Hope they get to cover that.

Zambatoh

I managed to finish Yuito's story in roughly 38 hours. There were only a couple of team members I didn't fully reach bond 6 with. But despite that, the enhanced powers from the ones I did max out, made the final dungeon a cakewalk. [Level 6 Invisibility + Electro/Pyro + Duplication + Time Dilation] is an incredibly game breaking combination. At least until the final boss is like "stop hiding!" and roundhouse kicks you in the face.

I started Kasane's story. I find it amusing that it actually starts with a scene that Yuito only had second hand knowledge of in a much later chapter of the game.

Last edited:

aries_71

Reached the end of phase 9 on Kansans side of things. Definitely bond episodes and dialogues are close to unbearable. They really needed an editor to cut the fluff.

YukiOnna

Feels like Kasane's run was definitely meant to be played after Yuito's with how its began. Fun to see where things are revealed compared to Yuito's.

Smasher89

Who got the codes?

https://www.gameskinny.com/3j2rl/scarlet-nexus-musubi-codes-list-all-scarlet-nexus-anime-codes Is the best result i found a couple of days ago when googling it, so 2 codes available to use atm unless there has been another episode aired. I do recomend using them as it has some stuff worth checking out, without saying too much!

Think i just got to chapter 8 Kasane route intermission, having done all sidequests i can find, the sidequests are like challenges and its kinda hard to know what triggers you to get it count when beating a enemy with the correct move, not sure it needs to last hit but be low enough hp or something.

Top Bottom