• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlet Nexus |OT| サイバーパンク Saibāpanku desu yo!

Rickyiez

No native ultrawide support is a bummer . But if it's just a simple hex edit and only the UI stay centered then I might be considering this .

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
No native ultrawide support is a bummer . But if it's just a simple hex edit and only the UI stay centered then I might be considering this .
Here is what I found, for reference. Install and launch HxD and open this file:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Scarlet Nexus\ScarletNexus\Binaries\Win64\ScarletNexus-Win64-Shipping.exe

Search for values 3B 8E E3 3F and 39 8E E3 3F (there should be 4 instances of the first, 1 instance of the second value). Replace them using the common hex value aspect ratio table that matches your display resolution:

For example, mine is 3440x1440 so I replaced the above instances with the value 8E E3 18 40.

Save the file with these edits, then launch the game. All of the cutscenes and menus will still be 16:9, but everything else should be ultrawide.

Vognerful

More screenshots. Really digging this game's art style.

l5dVT1D.png

6bduxG0.png
What is your PC spec and did you measure your fps?

Croga

I've put about 7 hours into this so far and I am really enjoying it.

It was always on my radar, I'm a sucker for a nice combat system, but the fact that the story has also been surprisingly good is a bonus.

Sure it's got the usual generic anime tropes in there, but some nice twists and turns in the plot so far as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What is your PC spec and did you measure your fps?
AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
AMD Radeon RX580
16GB DDR4 2666
Game running at 3440x1440, highest settings.

Basically at this point this PC is about 4 years old. I changed the option in the settings to cap the gameplay at 60fps, and I've only seen noticeable dips from there in some of the game's more frantic combat situations. The game seems to run incredibly lean.

SirTerry-T

Only played the demo but I enjoyed my time with it.
Took a while for the controls to "click" but once they did the gameplay loop felt great.
The early trailers made this look far closer to Astral Chain but it's definitely its own thing.
Not so enamoured with the comic style cutscene panels...the facial animation lets the side down a bit but other than that gripe, the art direction is very cool.
Love the way the anime styled faces "pop" from the rest of the half cel shaded/ half traditionally shaded character models.

Last edited:

TheMan

To all you gangstas who bit the bullet

What would you estimate to be the ratio of story to actual gameplay?

Pantz

Gold Member
Really like it so far. Wasn't too sure even after the demo because I kind of rushed through it.

It's going to take me forever to beat it though. I'm walking around looking at everything, reading lore on everything.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What's this game most comparable to from structure and gameplay perspective?
The combat is nothing like Astral Chain but structure is similar. Both game have base you go back to and compact city you can accept side quests.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Just played the demo (only played as the male character so far) and the combat is super fun. Environments are a little more linear than I like , but that was expected. I like how the combat is fast and flued, yet not overly convoluted. Plus the addition of the other characters abilities on a fast cooldown keeps it interesting for different enemies.

If I wasn't already playing many other games, then I'd pick this up at launch. I'll definitely be picking this up down the road though.

Derktron

Banned
I have to say I really am enjoying so far, have not gotten bored of it and the storyline and game gameplay isn't as bad.

DJTHEGREY

Game is pretty solid so far! Love the graphics, story has my interest and the combat is better than I thought it would be. Not really difficult. I'd give it a 7.8 thus far. Worth buying with or without a sale.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Story gets dark so fast. On end of Phase 5 on Yuito's side and the conspiracy continues to deepen. Eager to play Kasane's side once I'm done to see why it ended up like this. The boss battles with other ability users is a ton of fun.

6 hours in and I think this game is pretty garbage.

I don't really understand the praise for Scarlet Nexus.

The combat is garbage. What kind of action game doesn't have iframes in a dodge and a game where enemies seem to track you?

And this story is anime garbage. People are saying the girl character is the one to play because she's interesting. I don't find cold and bitchy anime girl characters interesting anymore, I'm not 15.

Rickyiez

Here is what I found, for reference. Install and launch HxD and open this file:

Search for values 3B 8E E3 3F and 39 8E E3 3F (there should be 4 instances of the first, 1 instance of the second value). Replace them using the common hex value aspect ratio table that matches your display resolution:

For example, mine is 3440x1440 so I replaced the above instances with the value 8E E3 18 40.

Save the file with these edits, then launch the game. All of the cutscenes and menus will still be 16:9, but everything else should be ultrawide.

Thanks , loving the game so far .

ARnp8ud.jpg

8bO3TcI.jpg

ofjZE4n.jpg

9Jue2i2.jpg

SWE4z7V.jpg

I wish it had a better AA solution though or at least increase the internal resolution .

And I'm playing on Hard mode too , which I think definitely a must so the game doesn't feels too spammy .

Last edited:

Zambatoh

Thanks , loving the game so far .

ARnp8ud.jpg

8bO3TcI.jpg

ofjZE4n.jpg

9Jue2i2.jpg

SWE4z7V.jpg

I wish it had a better AA solution though or at least increase the internal resolution .

And I'm playing on Hard mode too , which I think definitely a must so the game doesn't feels too spammy .
It's actually possible to improve both the TAA and the internal resolution. Yesterday I found out that you can modify the engine.ini file by adding some ue4 variables in there.
You can find a preconfigured one here, on "Nexus" mods of course.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I was mostly just expecting a semi decent anime game going into this. After four hours I really like the combat. The way they weave all the different powers into it is a lot of fun. I can see some cool strategies and things to experiment coming once I unlock a lot of party members and can swap them in and out.

The graphics and music are good. I am enjoying the story, world and characters. I assumed we would get a throw away garbage story, so I am happy to see they delivered something interesting here.

Very solid game.

the_master

There is a demo for both XSX and PS5, you can try out both to see difference between performance and resolution in each system.
I don't think I will have the time to do that. I have been seeing some comparisons and the games seem virtually the same, with a slight advantage on load times for PS5.
Maybe the Dual sense also has some haptics and triggers implemented that will take the win?

I was wondering if someone would tell me something like "don't play on such console cause there is this bug, or that problem, or the fps are better in that one"

Danjin44

I was wondering if someone would tell me something like "don't play on such console cause there is this bug, or that problem, or the fps are better in that one"
I haven’t experienced any bug on PS5 version so far and the game runs buttery smooth but I don’t how would compare to XSX since I don’t have that system.

Allright guys, I want to buy it, should I chose the PS5 or Series X version? Any wisdom?
I saw some comparison video (from a youtuber who we don't allow threads to be made for) where the load times on PS5 were around 4 seconds and the same load time was 7 seconds on XSX but I'm on XSX and it seems the same as PS5.

ClosBSAS

Loving it. It starts slow, so did code vein...but then it picks up really nicely. Great combat. Diggging the anime games from bandai. Hope new tales game is up to the job.

Loving it. It starts slow, so did code vein...but then it picks up really nicely. Great combat. Diggging the anime games from bandai. Hope new tales game is up to the job.
When does it get better? Phase 3 now and The world and lore is complete nonsense of terms that would give Final Fantasy XIII a run for it's money. The characters are laughably generic.

Danjin44

When does it get better? Phase 3 now and The world and lore is complete nonsense of terms that would give Final Fantasy XIII a run for it's money. The characters are laughably generic.
I would say based most of your posts, the game is never going “get better” for you.

Tales games are usually generic, but fun. But actually have good combat. Graces F has possibly the worst story, but the best combat. Destiny Remake is one of the best action rpgs. Tales of Beseria was good, but needed a budget. Arise looks to have a budget and not a cast mind-numbing anime troupe teens who you can guess their dialogue based on their character design.

Danjin44

Tales games are usually generic, but fun. But actually have good combat. Graces F has possibly the worst story, but the best combat. Destiny Remake is one of the best action rpgs. Tales of Beseria was good, but needed a budget. Arise looks to have a budget and not a cast mind-numbing anime troupe teens who you can guess their dialogue based on their character design.
I can already guess you coming to Tales of Arise OT thread and start calling the game “garbage”.

Last edited:
I can already guess you coming to Tales of Arise OT thread and start calling the game “garbage”.
As someone who has played a majority of the Tales series and thinks Arise looks great. I doubt it.

This game I don't get. The characters so far are boring. You've seen them in pretty much every anime ever. They're not even done with any style. Maybe things change, but Yunito is a standard brown-haired anime lead boy. The girl is cold unfriendly girl who I'm sure will warm up. The other characters because there are so many haven't had much development, but feel like they are there to fill a quota. Stoic big dude who is probably sweet despite his figure. Shy short anime girl. Little girl who is fiery despite her childlike appearance. Jerk dude with glasses who is really just insecure and so on. I mean Jesus christ even the Ys games have had more interesting characters. Maybe it will get better, but 8 hours in, it really hasn't put its best foot forward and who knows if it ever will since it has such a huge cast.

Maybe don't have a huge cast if you can't bother to develop them.

The combat seems pretty mediocre for an action rpg. We've had Ys 9 and VII Remake now. Ys feels great to control and responsive. Here it feels pretty bad thanks to a shitty dodge. Run in and spam your 3-4 combo, get out. That's it. Throw some of the psychic stuff in for good measure. Use the other abilities for effective spamming. Ai juggling feels like crap as so far it seems you can mostly to a 3 hit and then end with a triangle slam that feels route and not like you are actually doing neat air juggling. Stupid that you had to unlock a basic move as well. Since no iframes its not like you are ding responsive dodges before being hit because your reflexes were fast and were paying attention. It's like you have to dodge before they even attack you, double that because it seems like enemy attacks follow you. So it all just feels like "get in and get out" then repeat. Looking up "endgame play" just seems like it became spam the combinations of your partners' powers. Maybe it will be more exciting since it seems when you max out their bonds they actually step in. Also this party is pretty dull, I feel like I got more of the characters from just the demo of World Ends with You then I have here.

But either way I also don't understand the world. Beyond the game constantly throwing whatever terms at you, it seems nonsensical. Most of it is fucked and abandoned, but teens just acting like teens despite being in an extreme military state. How does this world even work with most of it being empty?

Last edited:

Danjin44

VII Remake now
Let me get this straight you complain about this game's dodge then praise FFVIIremake!? I enjoyed that game but dodging, blocking and areal combat in VIIRemake is super awkward.

I personally LOVE the combat in Scarlet Nexus.

As someone who has played a majority of the Tales series and thinks Arise looks great. I doubt it.

This game I don't get. The characters so far are boring. You've seen them in pretty much every anime ever. They're not even done with any style. Maybe things change, but Yunito is a standard brown-haired anime lead boy. The girl is cold unfriendly girl who I'm sure will warm up. The other characters because there are so many haven't had much development, but feel like they are there to fill a quota. Stoic big dude who is probably sweet despite his figure. Shy short anime girl. Little girl who is fiery despite her childlike appearance. Jerk dude with glasses who is really just insecure and so on. I mean Jesus christ even the Ys games have had more interesting characters. Maybe it will get better, but 8 hours in, it really hasn't put its best foot forward and who knows if it ever will since it has such a huge cast.

Maybe don't have a huge cast if you can't bother to develop them.

The combat seems pretty mediocre for an action rpg. We've had Ys 9 and VII Remake now. Ys feels great to control and responsive. Here it feels pretty bad thanks to a shitty dodge. Run in and spam your 3-4 combo, get out. That's it. Throw some of the psychic stuff in for good measure. Use the other abilities for effective spamming. Ai juggling feels like crap as so far it seems you can mostly to a 3 hit and then end with a triangle slam that feels route and not like you are actually doing neat air juggling. Stupid that you had to unlock a basic move as well. Since no iframes its not like you are ding responsive dodges before being hit because your reflexes were fast and were paying attention. It's like you have to dodge before they even attack you, double that because it seems like enemy attacks follow you. So it all just feels like "get in and get out" then repeat. Looking up "endgame play" just seems like it became spam the combinations of your partners' powers. Maybe it will be more exciting since it seems when you max out their bonds they actually step in. Also this party is pretty dull, I feel like I got more of the characters from just the demo of World Ends with You then I have here.

But either way I also don't understand the world. Beyond the game constantly throwing whatever terms at you, it seems nonsensical. Most of it is fucked and abandoned, but teens just acting like teens despite being in an extreme military state. How does this world even work with most of it being empty?

You claim to be a fan of these games, and then complaining about anime style characters and stories? This honestly gets old. Shitty dodge? You enable the teleportation and then try that dodge again? And if you think the dodging is shitty it's because your timing and awareness of the battlefield is bad.

Top Bottom