• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarlet Nexus |OT| サイバーパンク Saibāpanku desu yo!

Komatsu

scarlet-nexus-ot-logo.png

Scarlet Nexus (stylized as SCARLET NEXUS) is an upcoming action role-playing game developed and published by Bandai Namco Entertainment. It is set to be released on June 25, 2021 for Windows, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X and Series S and has received generally positive reviews from critics.

scarlet-nexus-ot-STORY.png

Set in the near future and an alternate reality where humanity develops technology and forms society based on the substances found in human brains. These substances also grant humans extrasensory superpowers. The Other Suppression Force (OSF) recruits members with supernatural abilities to protect humanity from the Others, mindless mutants descending from the Extinction Belt.

scarlet-nexus-ot-MEDIA.png

scarlet-nexus-ot-GAMEPLAY.png

Scarlet Nexus is an action role-playing game played from a third-person perspective. Players can assume control of either Yuito Sumeragi or Kasane Randall, members of the Other Suppression Force (OSF) who are tasked to defend New Himuka from creatures known as the Others.While they are equipped with short-range weapons like a sword, both Yuito and Kasane possess the ability of psychokinesis, allowing them to hurl objects and debris at hostile enemies. The protagonist's powers can be upgraded through accessing the "brain map", which serves as the game's skill tree. As players progress, they would encounter different party members who would assist them in combat. Each companion has their own unique combat abilities, which can then be acquired by the protagonists through an ability named "brain link".

FLAVOR TEXT: WIKIPEDIA

Last edited:

saintjules

There's a sale going on for it at Target and Walmart (PS5 links) at $49.99.

FYI - Can't speak for other locations in the States, but there isn't a pickup at store option until release day with Target. So if you preorder it now, it would be shipping out tomorrow and however many days to wait for it.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In the world of Scarlet Nexus, humanity is under assault by creatures known as "Others". They can arrive seemingly anywhere, and love nothing more than to eat the brains of their victims. Scarlet Nexus delves into the mysteries of these bizarre predators, and tells an action-packed story in which the future of humanity hangs in the balance. Here's everything you need to know.

Presented by Bandai Namco.

Last edited:

blackjon24

Surprised by the lack of impressions so far thought alot of people were excited for this.

Playing this at 4k 60 fps on ps5 is just great and loving the soundtrack. The world seems interesting. Definitely the standout will be the combat. It has a lot going on and the haptic feedback makes the psychokinesis attacks more impactful. Really feels like a character action game with a lot more rpg elements. With moves like double jumping and dodging locked behind a skill tree the gameplay will be even better by the end.

Played around 2 hours so far and won’t get to play much for the next couple of days but very excited to get back into this.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Wasn't sure if I was going to pick this up or not, the Xbox demo kinda deflated my hype a little bit.

But I picked this up on PC since it's got an uncapped framerate there. I found some hex edits that let me run the game in ultrawide. Game is looking really good now and I'm glad I went down this route. I'll try to leave some impressions in the thread when I get a bit farther into this.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Surprised by the lack of impressions so far thought alot of people were excited for this.

Playing this at 4k 60 fps on ps5 is just great and loving the soundtrack. The world seems interesting. Definitely the standout will be the combat. It has a lot going on and the haptic feedback makes the psychokinesis attacks more impactful. Really feels like a character action game with a lot more rpg elements. With moves like double jumping and dodging locked behind a skill tree.

Played around 2 hours so far and won’t get to play much for the next couple of days but very excited to get back into this.
I installed it but am waiting until after works to start it.

jeffyjaixx

Played about 4 hours or so. Loving what I've played so far. It feels like a Tales of game, lots of tutorials though but I feel like once they're all done, the game opens up in terms of battle system.

I put nice hour in to the game and this is definitely my type of game. The combat feels fantastic and the art direction on point and the runs very smoothly.
Loving the art. I take my time going to destinations and rotate the camera around to take in all the details. I just wish the camera would zoom out more or maybe have a wider FOV to take in more of the environment.

Played about 4 hours or so. Loving what I've played so far. It feels like a Tales of game, lots of tutorials though but I feel like once they're all done, the game opens up in terms of battle system.
Same. Tutorials are simple enough though and there doesn't seem to be an underlying overly complicated system to learn *cough... Xenoblade 2*

Reactions: Isa

KàIRóS

Just got my copy. I've got to finish this before the sequel to The World Ends With You comes out.

I doubt this will beat Astral Chain or Nier Automata but I still think it's good that another company saw the potential in this new Hack n' Slash RPG genre and made a completely new IP for it. I'm hoping other companies will realize the potential in this new type of Action RPG and make their own games, I would love to see something by Capcom for example.

Rikku-X

It's getting really good now for me. Has a good story, characters, word building and fun combat. I just hope you get to pick your own team later on.

3 1/2 hrs in, I'm liking it so far, loved the demo. My only complaint is lack of exploration, idk if it'll open up later in the game but the graphics and world is spectacular but the maps are empty with cliche NPCs.

I know it's not meant to be a traditional JRPG but an action game similar to Bayonetta, DMC, Nier Automata or Astral Chain. But with the big city scapes I thought we'll get exploration as a bonus

Overall the game is still awesome

• Thoughtful

JayK47

Is this based on a comic book or a show or something? Looks pretty cool and I may pick it up some day.

I'm on the first leg of phase 2. Up until now, the story was just meh. But the after the first "big" boss encounter and storyline twist it definitely has my interest going forward. So far the combat is fun. Environment graphics are just ok, but it doesnt bother me as much as it would in other games as it fits the style of the game and has a certain charm to it. I really like the character designs and the animations in the game and I'm not even an anime fan at all.

Feels like I'm still really early in the game but so far I am not regretting my purchase.

Just got the game as for PS5. Not sure when I’m going to get a chance to start on it, but hopefully it will be real soon. Seems like my type of game from what I seen. Looks like Code Vein and DMC. Walmart has the game for $49.94, but they might not put it out in store until tomorrow or later. You should be able to price match Walmart.com at Best Buy as well if you want it sooner as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Really digging this so far, I'm about 3 hours into it. I feel like a lot of the game's systems haven't really opened up yet as I'm still unlocking different brain trees. Story is pretty good so far, the stop-motion cutscenes definitely give me some Tales Of vibes. The combat is pretty good and hasn't felt as "samey" as the demo was which was my biggest turn-off. The combat in the full release feels like it's got a bit more variety, and the SAS capabilities are pretty dope - especially since it seems the game is building towards a "pick your party, attach the SAS you want" type of gameplay which is where I feel like this will really start shining.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hmm, at first this game wasn't on my radar but then I found out there was a demo available so I tried it and enjoyed the demo. Now I'm thinking about buying it. Hmm...

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

(Presented by BANDAI NAMCO) Twists and turns abound in this action-packed adventure, but with its dual-protagonists and varied combat systems, here’s why the unique story of SCARLET NEXUS is one that must be experienced more than once!

Last edited:
I can easily say this best cell shaded visuals in full 3D game.

Yeah, this game wasn't really on my radar at all, but these screen grabs are nuts. I'll try the demo out, but I haven't really enjoyed jrpgs since the 16/32 bit era.
Somebody give me a Macross game with these visuals dammit.

Top Bottom