• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarface to be remade with a black Tony Montana

Old Retro

You'll never remake the mistique or have the impact of the one liners.

That's like every Terminator movie having "come with me if you want to live". If MBJ said the "little friend" line, it would just be :messenger_unamused: shut the fuck up already

nush

It will be released, it will be shit and bomb and then be forgotten.

Just like Robocop, Total Recall, Point Break, The Thing, The Poseiden Adventure or anything else. Is it really worth going through the same comments again for any of these remakes at this point??

Darth

Why isn’t this seen as “black washing a Cuban role” or some such nonsense?

On one hand they made Pacino look Cuban, so who knows, maybe they can pull it off. On the other hand Jordan isn’t anywhere near Pacino on talent. I don’t see him pulling off the role for reasons that go deeper than skin level.

Didn’t you hear from that other place. Only white people can be racist.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Like everyone said Scarface is already a remake and it already basically changed the story from the original (original scarface was not a cuban refugee who sold coke in Miami).

Also haven't they done these black scarfaces like a million times already. Scarface is huge in the hip hop community.

Its not really an original story. Low level crook rises through ranks becomes to big for his britches and dies. This is a tale as old as time.

Now it would be stupid if they called him Tony Montana and just recreated the original but replaced Cuban Tony with NY black guy.

Anyways didn't they kinda do this with Denzel and American Gangster? Low level criminal becomes huge in the drug game and the life catches up with him.

American Gangster was based on the REAL life of Frank Lucas, who Denzel played. He really worked under Bumpy Johnson. There were lots of black gangsters in the 40s (like Bumpy) and Frank Lucas succeeded mainly because no one thought a black man could have an operation that successful.

asmMNLF.gif

Grinchy

Banned
They should also make him gay and the Michelle Pfeiffer role could go to Anthony Mackie.

Hell, make his friend Manny a gender and race swap and let it be played by Tessa Thompson.

Last edited:

Rien

Jelly Belly
Never have seen the first Scarface but I knew that Scarface ‘83 was a remake. How faithfull is it to it’s original?

Its fine but if usually a really bad idea to try and remake a classic. They never capture the magic and get judge harshly by comparison.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Given the almost mythological nature of Scarface in hip-hop culture this seems like a smart move. But without the 80s coke fueled excess on the screen and behind the camera this just becomes a mediocre gangster movie.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
That's fine, just comes off as forced yet again for the sake of forcing it.
Given the almost mythological nature of Scarface in hip-hop culture this seems like a smart move. But without the 80s coke fueled excess on the screen and behind the camera this just becomes a mediocre gangster movie.

Al Pacino's Scarface is a remake of the 1930s original. And they are very different.

Kacho

Scarface continues to be one of the most overrated movies of all time and it’s really only glorified by rap culture and posers that shop at hot topic.

Not surprised they’re casting a black guy here but there’s potential if it’s a remake in name only. They need to do their own thing as much as possible.

lock2k

Banned
I seriously thought the pandemic would teach those degenerates that they should care about stuff that matter and that wokeism would end. Boy was I wrong. The woke virus is stronger than Corona.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I seriously thought the pandemic would teach those degenerates that they should care about stuff that matter and that wokeism would end. Boy was I wrong. The woke virus is stronger than Corona.

How is this rumor of a movie "woke"?

lock2k

Banned
How is this rumor of a movie "woke"?
Those race changes are always made with that purpose and even if they aren't it became like "the boy who cried wolf", A situation where we no longer believe it's not for woke purposes even if it isn't. Also, how creative bankrupt is Hollywood that they have to remake every movie under the sun? They should just come up with a new movie and a new villain.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Those race changes are always made with that purpose and even if they aren't it became like "the boy who cried wolf", A situation where we no longer believe it's not for woke purposes even if it isn't. Also, how creative bankrupt is Hollywood that they have to remake every movie under the sun? They should just come up with a new movie and a new villain.

I agree that Hollywood is creatively bankrupt... But Scarface is itself a remake of the 1930s original.

Original: Italian mafia

Remake: Cuban drug Lord

Re-remake: TP Smuggler

Majukun

to be honest if you want to talk about authenticity, neither him nor al pacino look cuban, so i don't see the issue.

actually i buy more a dark skinned cuban than a white one, although for what i know they have their variety of colors

It's from the guy who remaked Suspiria, turning it into an antifeminist and anti-SJW movie.
The Suspiria remake is literally about
resurrected traditional feminity summoning Death itself to kill feminist cunts in incredibly gory fashion
Just because the director makes movies about gays and female dance schools doesn't mean he's not based and redpilled.

Caffeine

so this one will be different and he will be in the hood selling drugs buy a bunch of cars start a rap career. the first one was a mobster movie, the second a cocaine king pin.

mortal

Gold Member
Al Pacino was an Italian American who played a Cuban. He's an actor. People calling this a inclusivity move are being reactionary.
Are some of you really unaware there are dark skinned Cubans?

i'm hoping that this is a 1990s type period piece

something along the lines of how marsellus wallace would come into power

media
Damn this would be pretty cool actually. I like Micheal B Jordan so I'd be down, but the right director and screenwriter(s) needs to be attached.

Last edited:

Falcs

Banned
"Let's remake x great movie but replace the main character with someone black/gay/female/trans"

When will this shit end?

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
"Let's remake x great movie but replace the main character with someone black/gay/female/trans"

When will this shit end?

Let's see...

Al Pacino replaced the original actor from the original film and he played a Cuban American, despite not being Cuban American.

So MBJ can't play a Cuban American? You know there's tons of African descent Cubans, right?

Or he's probably going to play a regular black American like Frank Lucas or Bumpy Johnson.

Let's see...

Al Pacino replaced the original actor from the original film and he played a Cuban American, despite not being Cuban American.

So MBJ can't play a Cuban American? You know there's tons of African descent Cubans, right?

Or he's probably going to play a regular black American like Frank Lucas or Bumpy Johnson.

There are lots of people in Latin America with Italian/Roman genetics. It's very reasonable.

I agree that he's probably just going to play a black American gangster. They're only taking the name for cheap marketing purposes.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There are lots of people in Latin America with Italian/Roman genetics. It's very reasonable.

I agree that he's probably just going to play a black American gangster. They're only taking the name for cheap marketing purposes.

I wonder if they just give it a secondary name. Like Scarface: Corona King or something.

Falcs

Banned
Let's see...

I don't specifically care that MBJ is being cast for this in particular..
I'm just tired of this kind of shit being done for the sole reason of representation and identity politics.
Recreating movies with the main purpose to push an identity politics agenda makes for shit storytelling.
Examples:
Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Charlie's Angels, Terminator,

Chankoras

For authenticity they should hire people who understand Cuban culture, particularly "marielitos", otherwise is just going to be just watered down gangster movie.

sol_bad

I'm not interested. They won't capture the magic of the original. I also think the part is out of his range. He's fine within a certain sphere, but Al Pacino Scarface levels? No, I wouldn't be surprised if it descends to Raspberry levels as he attempts to ape one of the greatest performances of all time.

The original from 1932?

Alfen Dave

Why isn’t this seen as “black washing a Cuban role” or some such nonsense?

On one hand they made Pacino look Cuban, so who knows, maybe they can pull it off. On the other hand Jordan isn’t anywhere near Pacino on talent. I don’t see him pulling off the role for reasons that go deeper than skin level.

There are black cubans,
There are more black people in Latin American than in the US.

GV82

Eh why can’t they make a new Gangster Movie with Michael B Jordan?
Do they think that it wouldn’t sell to an audience without the name?

Do they not have faith in him to carry the lead of a new Gangster Movie all by himself, weird.

I say that about most of the remakes though, Halloween, F13th etc so it’s not just a complaint for this ( they are re-remaking The Thing again too)

I feel if you are going to redo something in this day & age at least turn it into a TV series, like Event Horizon, I hope they can reimagine the cool stuff that was cut out but now remade on TV, now if it was going to the cinema I’d be a bit miffed.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
There are black cubans,
There are more black people in Latin American than in the US.

A lot of people associate "latino" with people who look like Jennifer Lopez or Marc Anthony. They don't associate it with anyone like Celia Cruz or Rosario Dawson or Gina Torres (who's an actual Cuban American) or any of a long list of people who don't look like Mario Lopez or America Ferrera.

By the same token, those same people don't realize Cameron Diaz is actually a Latina. There are white, Black, Asian Latinos. But a lot of people (seems like most) don't know that.

I'm in love with Amara La Negra myself.

mortal

Gold Member
I don't specifically care that MBJ is being cast for this in particular..
I'm just tired of this kind of shit being done for the sole reason of representation and identity politics.
Recreating movies with the main purpose to push an identity politics agenda makes for shit storytelling.
Examples:
Ghostbusters, Star Wars, Charlie's Angels, Terminator,
Sure you say that, but what does identify politics even have to do with this if it's not about MBJ specifically?
We literally don't know anything about this beside that MBJ is being eyed for the role and it's just a rumor on top of that.
Aren't you getting little ahead of yourself assuming the worst?

In original 1932 Scarface Paul Muni played an Italian immigrant.
1983 Scarface, Al Pacino played a Cuban refugee
202X Scarface might star Micheal B Jordan, but somehow that's because of identity politics? Come on, dude.

Top Bottom