• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scarface to be remade with a black Tony Montana

Eimran

There are rumors claiming that all time classic Scarface will be remade and will have Michael B Jordan as protagonist.

Not only did they not respect the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it-rule", they chose a black person to play cuban refugee Tony Montana... It could be me but it seems like another case of SJW pandering.

What are your opinions on this fellow gaffers?
tb6HiYS.jpg

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I'm not interested. They won't capture the magic of the original. I also think the part is out of his range. He's fine within a certain sphere, but Al Pacino Scarface levels? No, I wouldn't be surprised if it descends to Raspberry levels as he attempts to ape one of the greatest performances of all time.

Jooxed

Gold Member

Afro-Cubans are Cubans who are of Black African ancestry mostly West African. The term Afro-Cuban can also refer to historical or cultural elements in Cuba thought to emanate from this community, and the combining of native African and other cultural elements found in Cuban society such as race, religion, music, language, the arts and class culture.[2]

But no the movie doesn't need to be remade.

epicnemesis

Why isn’t this seen as “black washing a Cuban role” or some such nonsense?

On one hand they made Pacino look Cuban, so who knows, maybe they can pull it off. On the other hand Jordan isn’t anywhere near Pacino on talent. I don’t see him pulling off the role for reasons that go deeper than skin level.

On one hand Scarface is already a remake, on the other hand being cast as Tony Montana means it's a direct remake of the 83 version which doesn't sit as well.

Can't say I'm interested though. I mainly like Scarface due to the performances and it being so heavily drenched in the 80s (From locations, to clothes, the Moroder score, the usual supporting cast of the era, etc..) and this wouldn't have any of that, so meh.

Also is Michael B. Jordan any good? I've only seen him in BP, and Creed 1+2 and he's kinda plain. I mean old-man Stallone easily overshadowed him in Creed 2 without even trying.

I feel MBJ would be about as good as an young actor you can get for that role, but yeah, I'm also on the same boat of it doesn't need a remake.

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Bad idea, now he's going to be compared to Pachinos performance and he will never be as good. Could have just made a separate Scarface style movie and called it something else. This is the same thing as remaking Batman with Joker, everyone starts comparing performances.

YCoCg

Scarface 1983 is already a remake, in fact if this comes out in 2022/2023 it'd nearly be the same amount of time between the original and 1983!

I'm sure they wouldn't be stupid enough to carbon copy the 1983 movie as that is peak 80's, but if they re-imagined it like 1983 did with the original then I could see another take working.

cryptoadam

Banned
Like everyone said Scarface is already a remake and it already basically changed the story from the original (original scarface was not a cuban refugee who sold coke in Miami).

Also haven't they done these black scarfaces like a million times already. Scarface is huge in the hip hop community.

Its not really an original story. Low level crook rises through ranks becomes to big for his britches and dies. This is a tale as old as time.

Now it would be stupid if they called him Tony Montana and just recreated the original but replaced Cuban Tony with NY black guy.

Anyways didn't they kinda do this with Denzel and American Gangster? Low level criminal becomes huge in the drug game and the life catches up with him.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Why isn’t this seen as “black washing a Cuban role” or some such nonsense?

On one hand they made Pacino look Cuban, so who knows, maybe they can pull it off. On the other hand Jordan isn’t anywhere near Pacino on talent. I don’t see him pulling off the role for reasons that go deeper than skin level.

The original Scarface was a white gangster. The 1983 remake made him Cuban.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Like everyone said Scarface is already a remake and it already basically changed the story from the original (original scarface was not a cuban refugee who sold coke in Miami).

Also haven't they done these black scarfaces like a million times already. Scarface is huge in the hip hop community.

Its not really an original story. Low level crook rises through ranks becomes to big for his britches and dies. This is a tale as old as time.

Now it would be stupid if they called him Tony Montana and just recreated the original but replaced Cuban Tony with NY black guy.

Anyways didn't they kinda do this with Denzel and American Gangster? Low level criminal becomes huge in the drug game and the life catches up with him.

Hell I watched American Gangster recently and yes, it's a lot like Scarface and every other drug guy crime movie. Really shit actually.

What makes Scarface interesting is Al Pacino's performance and the 80s Miami glitz and style. They can't capture that, this is another Total Recall and Predator(s).

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Hell I watched American Gangster recently and yes, it's a lot like Scarface and every other drug guy crime movie. Really shit actually.

What makes Scarface interesting is Al Pacino's performance and the 80s Miami glitz and style. They can't capture that, this is another Total Recall and Predator(s).

Yup, take away Pacino and the movie isn't half as good. He is the entire reason the movie is so legendary. Amazing performance with some of the best quotes around.

those are some shoes to fill

hell these are THE shoes to fill

i wonder what the story/premise will be in this case

1932 was a mafia movie

1983 was a cartel movie

what could this one be

Last edited:
yup, scarface absolutely doesn't need a remake anytime soon

we're in the age of narcos, breaking bad, and better call saul

cartel shit is still as hot as it's been for decades

it's the scarface name that is the money maker and if there's money to be made it's gonna get made

but yeah anyone can go and watch scarface 1983 today and it holds up perfectly

i could see a producer trying to emulate scarface 1983 and release it today and sure enough it wouldn't work anywhere near as good as scarface 1983 itself

just wait til they try to remake pulp ficiton lol

Great Hair

Banned
Imma good time to drop a bomb here .... i didn´t enjoy Scarface and all its cuts. Have to rewatch it, but im not a fan of scarface. Vice city captured the zeitgeist better imho.

about the news, rumor:
biggest flop incoming

DKehoe

So are there any credible reports this is happening? We’re just going off of this one random tweet?

another thing, they gotta change his last name

ain't no brotha named montana

in the first movie dude was italian so camonte

second movie cuban, montana

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I like drug kingpin movies.. don't really care it's kinda lamely using Scarface. If it's good it's good and I just won't mentally associate it with the original (remake.) If it's bad I'll forget it exists.

Problem solved.

Better than endless comic book movies at least lol

But.. BRING BACK THE 90S GANGSTA SHIT! That's what I want.. probably wouldn't fly today though.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Not only do they make a horrible choice to do an inclusivity remake, but they pick him?? At least get a blactor who can act.

Top Bottom