• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalpers Lose 30% On PS5 Prices, Despite Restock Problems

They don’t loose 30% by still getting more than they paid. They gain less would be more fitting, and then it‘s 60% less (200 vs 500$).
Unless more PS5 exclusives are released I don’t think anyone is really in an urgent need to get a PS5
Yeah the title phasing makes pretty much no sense unless there is actually some large group of "scalpers" out there who bought a console from another scalper at $1000 and have sat on it since then waiting to sell.

I couldn't imagine anyone sitting on inventory for a minute longer than they have to because at this point the price only goes down as time goes on.

Allandor

homer simpson GIF
Well there is currently almost no reason to buy any next gen console so far.
Most games work on the older models and there is not so much new stuff coming in the next year.
They will still sell all consoles but demand is definitely sinking and so people are also not willing to pay the much higher prices.
Btw, used ps5 are also available all the time with just 50-100€ higher price but often with a few games and a second controller. There is not much room for profit if you can get a used model for a much more reasonable price.

Last edited:

BigBooper

What a weird way to phrase that. I bet they will keep dropping rapidly until November when people start looking for Christmas presents again. The tail on that price jack will be much shorter though, so we'll probably be at normal prices late next spring if nothing else goes wrong...no new epidemics or anything.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I bought mine off a scalper, dont have regrets tbh. The way I saw it, I paid the bloke £80 to stay up until 3am pressing F5 while I slept like a baby. I can see why they do it, but this issue is on the retailer, there are so many ways they could prevent this, but they dont, because a sale is a sale and they couldnt give a fuck.

Also, not to make this a console war issue, but I think the demand for PS5 will now be slightly lower since Sony seem to be charging for slight upgrades on games while MS are becoming more and more user friendly, that surely will lower demand slightly?

This dude gets it 🤣

MrA

Banned
I don’t think a drop from $1000 to $700 can even be considered a lose…

It is still $200 easy profit.
while the title is wrong, ps5s have lost 30% of their value on the secondary market in the US, not scalpers have lost 30% scalpers are still making money, but not 200
using the US as a reference they need to pay sales tax on the purchase so that adds 5 to 10 % depending on the state, and then they lose about 15% on transaction fees unless they sell locally, so at 700 they are looking at a 45-70 usd in profit, another 50 usd drop in secondary demand and scalping will end, though it will likely come back around the holidays.

Bryank75

Banned
And I bet most of them have played something like two or three PS5 games and it's not been switched on for four months because they're not interested in playing PS4 games on it. The irony. :p

Most of my PSN friends that are online have one and are on usually daily or several times weekly.

Right now, I can see people playing F.I.S.T. Destiny 2, Tales of Arise, NBA2K, Madden, Astro, Apex, GOW, Overcooked and other games....and it's pretty late here.

There is an absolute abundance of games to play and PS+ games just dropped last week.

Bryank75

Banned
They were at 10 million back in June.... they should be hitting 15 million in the next month or two.

But then all the parents and families looking for a present will be added to the pool of people looking for one. Gonna be tough to find one around end of October, start of November and of course December.

Then Spring will be a bit easier to get one for the core gamers... late spring I guess.

Would be cool if they hit 20 million or more by March 2022. I think I saw that they forecast 22-23 million total sales by then.

The games lineup around then is pretty insane too.... Horizon, Sifu, GT7 and Forspoken along with multiplats like Elden Ring all within a few weeks of each-other. Then GOW and other games later in the year.

Great for gaming. They just need to stop nickle and dime-ing for upgrades and stop the next gen tax. Also forget about PC and start focusing on doing better for their real customers on console.

Supply is getting slowly better, it's still nowhere close to a point where we can buy one at a retailer anytime but there are multiple restocks each month.
At the same time we're probably getting close to 14m consoles shipped so demand from core gamers who want one at all costs should go down.
If you want one you can either follow online restocks or get into a preorder list and you should get one within 1-2 months at worst, there's no sense to give money to these people who are reselling it at outrageous prices.

You can get on a pre order list? Where? I’m based in the USA.
Thank you in advance. 👍🏻 😀

Aenima

Lol even PS4s got snatched for scalping.
Man, at this point i cant blame scalpers for this situation anymore. Im putting the blame now on the retailers that freely sell all they stock to a single person.

Here in Portugal, Fnac only allow a PS5 purchase per person, and they started doing that right short after the console launch once the scalping became an issue. And they still sell out all they stock in 1 day.

Sygma

Man, at this point i cant blame scalpers for this situation anymore. Im putting the blame now on the retailers that freely sell all they stock to a single person.

Here in Portugal, Fnac only allow a PS5 purchase per person, and they started doing that right short after the console launch once the scalping became an issue. And they still sell out all they stock in 1 day.

Theres no process as of now which can counter bots + apple pay and you don't even need to do anything, just know a few scripts. Already said that the solution in the case of buying parity is to entirely stop selling the console via digital shops and its never going to happen

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

i woneed how fast these scalpers sell this stock. Do they just set up shop there? Why would you carry so many with you.
I don’t wish violence on anyone but genuinely wish someone would rob those off them, some Robin Hood type that then goes and sells them at retail price or better yet gives them out to lower class families.

NikuNashi

Scalpers Lose 30% On PS5 Prices

Nobody is selling PS5's for less than retail price. What you mean is the resell price of PS5's has dropped by 30%. Scalpers are not losing anything if they sell for higher than retail and cover the postage and transaction fees.

Kagey K

Banned
i woneed how fast these scalpers sell this stock. Do they just set up shop there? Why would you carry so many with you.
I don’t wish violence on anyone but genuinely wish someone would rob those off them, some Robin Hood type that then goes and sells them at retail price or better yet gives them out to lower class families.
Looks like he is transferring stock to another scalper.

They are both waiting for transfers to go through so scalper 2 can take his stock from scalper 1.

Gotta give them credit for the hustle, but there's no way thats bot scalping, those are dealers reselling thier stock outside the store.

It is completely legal and totally within their capitalist right to do what they're doing.

HOWEVER

Jesus Christ is that what you wanna do in life? Is that the type of work that makes you fulfilled? Kudos to you if that's the service to society that makes you feel whole. It's a philosophical frustration more than anything. Wish I was so simple.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
It is completely legal and totally within their capitalist right to do what they're doing.

HOWEVER

Jesus Christ is that what you wanna do in life? Is that the type of work that makes you fulfilled? Kudos to you if that's the service to society that makes you feel whole. It's a philosophical frustration more than anything. Wish I was so simple.
For most it's simply $$$ they don't care about all the other noise.

They wsnt money and no matter how much they make they need more.

I’m still holding out. im waiting for GameStop to sell the PS5 WITHOUT a bundle

i got a $320 gift card from them for trading in my PS4 pro a few months ago. Hopefully they will sell them before God of War comes out.

so far it’s been an easy wait because no killer app games released that I’m into yet. But I really am itching to play my backlog PS4 games.

anyone else in the same situation?

Kagey K

Banned

i got a $320 gift card from them for trading in my PS4 pro a few months ago. Hopefully they will sell them before God of War comes out.

so far it’s been an easy wait because no killer app games released that I’m into yet. But I really am itching to play my backlog PS4 games.

anyone else in the same situation?
Lucky for you all the new games coming out work on your ps4 too, so you are literally missing 4 games, 1 free 1 going free 2 play and the other 2 will be dirt cheap by the time you get your PS5.

Early Adopter tax hit extra hard this gen.

UnNamed

Banned
I also hate this shit, but this time it's not GS's fault. Sony do this shitty moves since PS2, I remember when you could only buy PS2 with another controller, remote and Fantavision because of Sony's decision.

Exentryk

Will buy when I can walk in to a store and get one.

The current exclusives don't really entice me though, and since I've waited this long, I might as wait for the pro version, or even PS6. No biggie.

Lunarorbit

What the fuck? Why would you display that much hardware. Asking to get robbed.

Plus why would you put cardboard boxes on the sidewalk like that with snow on the ground? It's obviously melting. If I walked by I'd be super suspicious of what's actually in the boxes.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must be for Sony and microsoft to see these consoles being snapped up for retail pricing within seconds to only be sat there for however long until they are sold for almost twice the price.

those scalpers aren’t buying games and you potentially have hardware sat there for some period of time and Not generating software sales.

bad times.

Knightime_X

Yeah and the money back guarantee stuff for online purchases means they can buy it and then just return it if they cannot get what they wanted for it. No risk whatsoever on their part.
Return dates are finite. Typically, 30 days for electronics. Rarely is it ever 90 with electronics.
What Store lets you do a return regardless of purchase date?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must be for Sony and microsoft to see these consoles being snapped up for retail pricing within seconds to only be sat there for however long until they are sold for almost twice the price.

those scalpers aren’t buying games and you potentially have hardware sat there for some period of time and Not generating software sales.

bad times.

Sony + Nvidia + MS are probably looking at this and realizing that people are willing to pay way more than they’re charging. RTX 4 series pricing is gonna be insane.

daffyduck

... Is that the type of work that makes you fulfilled? Kudos to you if that's the service to society that makes you feel whole. It's a philosophical frustration more than anything. Wish I was so simple.
Scalpers are *not* doing a service to society, in any way, shape or form.

Could you not just sell on the parts of the bundle that you don't want..?
Like everyone else buying the bundles? And wouldn't it be easier/safer for a peripheral buyer to just walk into a store to buy those, assuming they haven't been forced to buy through a bundle themselves?

Alebrije

They are no loosing money just earning 30% less.....

Basically id they can sell a PS5 20%-30% above retail price is a good bussiness

AGRacing

Gold Member
At some point you run out of people willing to pay 1000 bucks for a PS5.

At this point.. if they willing to do that they'd have done it already.... they're readily available at the insane price.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Sony + Nvidia + MS are probably looking at this and realizing that people are willing to pay way more than they’re charging. RTX 4 series pricing is gonna be insane.

I know, it's so painful. Just look at the pricing on the 3080 12GB, 3080 Ti, 3090 Ti etc.

Nvidia stated their RRPs for the released cards but then introduced variants later and just let the AIBs go ham with the pricing.

My company primarily purchases cards from the likes of Asus, Gigabyte, MSI, Palit and Zotac and the price differences of the 3080 10GB vs the newly released 3080 12GB is insane.

Top Bottom