• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saying "Steam Deck over Switch" is unnecessary and reveals the obvious in gamers [RANT]

bender

What time is it?
I'm tired of the Deck's paltry specs holding back developers!

giphy.gif

Very weird how most if not damn near all the selling points for the Switch are suddenly handwaved away for the Steam Deck.

Yes, this won't be the go to choice for a cheap handheld for kids or those who want to run Nintendo games right out of the box, but there's absolutely a huge market for this.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.

How does comparing the Steam Deck to the Switch somehow mean that someone isn't a Nintendo gamer who likes Nintendo exclusives? And how does enjoying old-school Nintendo games factor into this rant at all?

I have owned two Nintendo Switch devices. One I sold, and then a year later regretted it and bought another one. I also have compared the Switch and the Steam Deck many times, and when I receive my Steam Deck next quarter (assuming it isn't delayed again) I will be comparing the two devices again hands-on.

Your take is simply asinine. People can compare the Steam Deck and the Switch. They're both handheld gaming devices. They're marketed to two different, but definitely overlapping, demographics. They both have their pros and cons. I can't think of a reason why people wouldn't be allowed to compare the two unless you're suffering from Fragile Ego Syndrome, but in that case you shouldn't be on social media of any sort.

This is a lot of word salad for they can kill the battery in 1.5 hours on Steam Deck and did, and they're not allowed to on Switch and they couldn't. We're not really disagreeing.
The point is on the Deck you're allowed anything from the get-go, yes. But under normal operation, without taking off the limiters put in place by design, the Deck will keep to using 20 watts of power max, and get its listed 2 hours uptime minimum. On the Switch taking the limiters off is just a more involved process, people have done it a long time ago.

Ceadeus

Steam Deck has better graphics. Honestly no reason to play Switch anymore.

Steam Deck over Switch, it’s a no brainer
Well, it's like saying Porshe over Honda. Different price and category.

Short battery life is an issue to me. Otherwise I would be interested in getting one. It feels like going back to Game Gear generation when we had to plug that giant handheld in the wall to play longer than an hour and a half.

PhaseJump

Banned
Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.

Bz5ehKB.gif

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
The only thing that sucks is they won't build enough of them to really be competition. It will sell out completely, bit I'd be surprised if it's more than a couple of million by end of year. Competition is good for the industry, Nintendo has none in the mass market handheld space readily available.

I for one am greedy, I want amazing Nintendo gameplay AND better graphics......something the 2016 switch just can't do.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
I love this. There are only two types of gamers: those who love Nintendo games and those who love Nintendo games. (I do too...naturally.)

But yeah, I agree. They're two different products with different benefits. (I'm also primarily a PC gamer.)

There are also the ones like me that think Nintendo makes good games, but not good enough to buy ...let's say modest hardware to avoid controversy, just to play them. :)

That looks like packaged diarrhea. :p

Last edited:

Mercador

I won't buy this iteration, I decided to go the GPU route with an XSX. Linus review kills it for me (that and the fact that Steam streaming is working better than expected on my laptop). I got a Switch as well.

Sentenza

I won't buy this iteration, I decided to go the GPU route with an XSX. Linus review kills it for me (that and the fact that Steam streaming is working better than expected on my laptop). I got a Switch as well.
The review that was FUCKING GLOWING under any single aspect he talked about “kills it for you”?

Man, some of you are borderline lunatics with their confirmation bias.

The amount of cheapshot comments on this board by PC snobs is already too many

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I have a Switch OLED. I am in the first wave of Steam Deck pre-orders.

When my Deck arrives I will have it and my Switch compete in battle, and let you know which one is the victor. Then, like a child, you'll know which one to become emotionally invested in.

Sentenza

You can play Nintendo on a Steam Deck.
That aside, I'm not sure why he's assuming that anyone interested in a "switch-like" handheld device should necessarily care for Nintendo games in particular.
I want one of these as something *complementary* to my desktop PC and that can leverage the enormous library of Steam (and more in general PC) games I already own. Not to overlap 1:1 with a Switch.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Macbooks would be in the trash if they were not so pretty.

That's not true, they perform really well in productivity and everyday tasks, and the user experience is far better than anything Microsoft has ever came up with. They are not "just pretty", the materials, screen and assembly quality is top notch.

It's just not a gaming machine.

Build master pc monitor 144 because low res and sub30/60 fps hurt eyes . Later on, buy steamdeck to replay games on low res and 30 fps.
🤷‍♂️

nush

Gold Member
That's not true, they perform really well in productivity and everyday tasks, and the user experience is far better than anything Microsoft has ever came up with. They are not "just pretty", the materials, screen and assembly quality is top notch.

It's just not a gaming machine.

Chill, it was sarcasm.

Riky

$MSFT
So are developers now going to have to account for Steam Deck specs with their games? Or will some games just not run? If they are then the baseline people make a lot of noise about just changed significantly and makes all their arguments redundant.

Top Bottom