• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saying "Steam Deck over Switch" is unnecessary and reveals the obvious in gamers [RANT]

Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.

After reading thru the reviews, I'm pretty sure Steam Deck is absolutely not a threat to Switch. NONE

Lack of distribution channel
On-going chip shortage and supply chain issue
Lack of exclusive content
More expensive
HUGE and heavy compare to Switch
Short battery life. Switch's battery will last more than twice longer

Steam Deck will be a niche product at best

Calverz

Reaction GIF

Im a pc gamer but i find comparing the switch to a steam deck (as many are doing today) is unnecessary, Obviously, if anyone is preferring the steam deck over a switch......your just preferring a pc over a console. Its a cheapshot.

You also reveal to others two things : one, you aren't really a Nintendo gamer, one who enjoys their exclusive, and two, you probably enjoy emulations of Nintendo games.
I never understood the "Cool story bro" phenomenon before this thread, but, cool story, bro.

Raploz

The big thing is that you can’t play Mario on the Steam Deck. People seem to be avoiding that little caveat.
Emulators exist though, and the Steam Deck can surely emulate Switch games.

------

The Steam Deck IS a niche device, it's not competing with the Switch. It targets PC gamers that want portability and already have a huge Steam library, while Switch targets families and kids. Grandma is not going to the nearest GameStop and buying a Steam Deck to little Timmy. It has never been positioned as a mass market device.

People comparing Switch and Steam Deck are simply console warriors looking for a fight.

Kokoloko85

Um...It's a PC. It's main advantage is that it let's you play almost any game in existence. Probably most of Nintendo games via emulation too.

I think he means without piracy. Which means you lacking alot of game 1st party games from Nintendo or Playstation

Deerock71

After reading thru the reviews, I'm pretty sure Steam Deck is absolutely not a threat to Switch. NONE

More expensive

Steam Deck will be a niche product at best.
Steam deck isn’t economically viable, to satisfy its demand.
These would be the topmost concerns for that platform. Also, since PC gamers tend to be the epitome of graphics whores, why would they compromise their pristine graphics for the ability to play for an hour and a half before playing "Is There a Power Outlet Nearby?"

Sentenza

Um...It's a PC. It's main advantage is that it let's you play almost any game in existence. Probably most of Nintendo games via emulation too.
Yeah, he has no clue of what he's talking about.
Also, no one right in his mind EVER pretended the Deck would "be a threat to the Switch". They aren't even manufactured/distributed anywhere near to the same scale.

It will be a better device with a lot more potential uses for those who want one, sure, but that's an entirely different thing.

Emulators are extremely niche.
RetroArch is on Steam.

Also emulation is not piracy.

The Deck is not "just" aimed at PC users who want to have their games on the go, there's other devices like that already, priced accordingly to PC gamer spending habits.

The Deck is aimed at console users who want to play PC games, but hate using PCs. Specifically at handheld console users. Its entire thing is being a cheap (by PC metrics), standardized, streamlined gaming device that has a selection of preapproved games guaranteed to offer a good experience - exactly like a console. And its whole "being a PC" thing is that unlike a console, it's simply not limited to just that.

Dream-Knife

Banned

More expensive

Steam Deck will be a niche product at best
Decks battery is comparable to the original Switch before it's 2019 revision.

But yeah it's niche.

00_Zer0

A vast majority of people that like both the PC and Switch would never compare either of the two. Not on NeoGaf or not even everyday casual gamers out in the real world. It is understood that Steam Deck is just a handheld PC that can do everything a PC can do. Nintendo Switch is a handheld console. The best Nintendo has produced in a long time.

So I think this thread is totally unnecessary OP.

Your generalizations are over the top. The only console I have right now is Nintendo Switch. Besides that I also have a great gaming PC. I don't have to choose between the two. Having said that I love emulating Nintendo Systems/Games on the PC, as well as other games and systems. I don't need a Steam Deck to do it, but I'm not a pirate if that's what you are implying with your last sentence. Also, if I get a Steam Deck it will be the cheapest version for $399, just to check out the latest version of Proton in action and to see how the community/creators of emulators take advantage of this fixed hardware.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
RetroArch is on Steam.

Also emulation is not piracy.

The Deck is not "just" aimed at PC users who want to have their games on the go, there's other devices like that already, priced accordingly to PC gamer spending habits.

The Deck is aimed at console users who want to play PC games, but hate using PCs. Specifically at handheld console users. Its entire thing is being a cheap (by PC metrics), standardized, streamlined gaming device that has a selection of preapproved games guaranteed to offer a good experience - exactly like a console. And its whole "being a PC" thing is that unlike a console, it's simply not limited to just that.
Exactly this.

onQ123

I mean you can play PC & Switch games with the Steam Deck 👀

There was no Switch game that killed the battery in 1.5 hours. This assessment does not hold water.
Neither is there a Deck game that can, not without tinkering. If users could have the same control over performance limits on Switch that they have on the Deck, the Switch could drain its battery just as quickly. Quicker, even. The Switch's battery is about 15 watt-hours. The Tegra X1, at full clock, is rated for 15 watts. It'd absolutely melt the cooling solution in the Switch, but it could drain the battery in under an hour, if it was allowed to.

Azurro

Banned
There might be some overlap, but I don't think they target the same market. Isn't the Steam Deck almost twice as expensive? It also has the capability of running high end games on low settings I think. I don't know, I haven't followed it much, I am of the opinion that this higher end portable games market is kind of niche.

It might be cool to get it to buy indie games from the Steam store though.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Neither is there a Deck game that can, not without tinkering. If users could have the same control over performance limits on Switch that they have on the Deck, the Switch could drain its battery just as quickly. Quicker, even. The Switch's battery is about 15 watt-hours. The Tegra X1, at full clock, is rated for 15 watts. It'd absolutely melt the cooling solution in the Switch, but it could drain the battery in under an hour, if it was allowed to.
This is a lot of word salad for they can kill the battery in 1.5 hours on Steam Deck and did, and they're not allowed to on Switch and they couldn't. We're not really disagreeing.

I love this. There are only two types of gamers: those who love Nintendo games and those who love Nintendo games. (I do too...naturally.)

But yeah, I agree. They're two different products with different benefits. (I'm also primarily a PC gamer.)

Top Bottom