• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandman is coming to Netflix on August 5, 2022

Show is awesome because it is kryptonite to the anti-woke crowd. It’s seriously funny.

I thought the ep that came out today was trash because it was so anti-climatic.

Last edited:
Dropped it at episode 7 or 8 but I liked the bonus episodes, especially the cat one.
I specially liked that they lost the opportunity of making cats non-binary and throwing in an orgy for fanservice. It felt natural for a change, albeit different than the rest of the series as it left the agenda at the door. If the whole series hit these notes (different from taking acceptance away altogether) the end result would have been better, age better and increase the likelihood of a future seasons (I think a second season will happen, but if they don't course correct and make an accepted smash hit it's done for then).

The writer episode as well, they made him a feminist without (technically) giving him a vagina or having to have intercourse for inclusivity points, which seeing the rest of the series must have been hard. It felt like an episode grounded on the 21st century where men that don't understand what being a female is spin it for sympathy/sales. All that made it feel like something real rather than a shitty fanfic.

Throughout the season they constantly put too much emphasis on non-conventional sex and non-conventional sexual orientations without any meaningful payoff or balance, it felt like shock factor which, while not shocking at all, after a while felt quite stupid. The issue wasn't that these characters were gay, it's that the fact they were felt more important than the rest of the plot.

Also, some of those changes and inclusions were good, but they turned it all the way to eleven to the point it fell largely flat on it's face at crucial points that were already being panned with pacing issues.

Last edited:
Absolutely loved the romantic scene between Dream and Calliope. You can tell there was still something there between them.

Dream: "He must be punished."
Calliope: "Why, because I was once yours?"
Dream: "Because he hurt you."

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I have not sat down to watch this yet, but I watched the trailers again just now and the one guy has a nuclear weapon level Jawline.

That man could carve stone with that sumbitch.

Last edited:
I heard the episode with Death "the sound of her wings" was good so I watched only that episode and I can confirm that it was.

It's even reflected in IMDB with a score of 9.3⭐while every other episode is 6.9-8.5⭐

It's like the Witcher, the series is better when it focus on the world intrincacies than when it focuses on whatever soap opera bullcrap is going on at the forefront.

It's still not a 9.3 episode, mind you. It's mostly just very good by comparison with how lackluster it can be at times.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I heard the episode with Death "the sound of her wings" was good so I watched only that episode and I can confirm that it was.
Aj4PNzo.jpg

Nico_D

So according to 24/7 episode, if we stopped lying to ourselves, we'd all be gays and/or transvestites. Being a hetero is a lie.

In general, what is it with modern tv shows how when a new character appears, there's 80% change they are gay or b? And when you watch a lot of tv, it starts feeling like preaching. What happened to telling stories about people and instead of telling about their sexuality?

What annoys me in it is how on the nose it is.

Sex Educationhas a lot of different groupd in it but that worked because it was classes and came from the characters. And while S3 was a bit weak, the binary character was really well written. It can be done but most often it is... not

Last edited:
In general, what is it with modern tv shows how when a new character appears, there's 80% change they are gay or b? And when you watch a lot of tv, it starts feeling like preaching. What happened to telling stories about people and instead of telling about their sexuality?
They're trying to get extra audience by normalizing A or B, not because they get what A or B is, but because they think it'll bring them viewership and right now, some good reviews as well. Progressive=Good Reviews, because reviewers are Social Justice Warriors for some reason.

Some of the shows audiences are not set in stone (who actually cares about firemen drama, or psychologist clinic drama) so they'll come for an arc for a character aiming for the lowest hanging fruit they're not engaging in a natural way. Which is why then it feels forced.

All of these depictions are fine, if they suit the story or if they show acceptance towards (or if the showrunners don't dwell on them and just move forward, like they do with hetero bs). But you can't juggle all balls at once.

trikster40

Finally got around to starting the series. Binged through episode 5 so far, really love their approach. It’s one of those books that you think there’s absolutely no way it could ever be adapted to film, but they’ve done an excellent job so far. Looking forward to finishing up the season and seeing what they do with S2.

ShadowNate

I recently watched the last (bonus) double episode. I found both stories enjoyable.
I later looked up the actress for the Calliope muse and she (Melissanthi Mahut) is the voice for Cassandra in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Good to see she has good live acting skills, too.

Top Bottom