• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandman is coming to Netflix on August 5, 2022

Draugoth

Gold Member
Announced at Netflix Geeked 2022.

FUhaPjPWIAInQm0
FUhaP9AXEAALYp5

Last edited:

Hugare

Is that Matt Murdock? What is this?
Corinthian, from, you know, Sandman HQ

Mad excited for the series.

Really hard to stick the landing and make something as good as the comics, but we will see

Johanna Constantine looks off, tho. Constantine is a disturbed fellow, that looks like havent showered in ages.

She looks too "clean". I can't believe that this chick fights demons and shit for living.

EDIT: Oh, I've just seen the interview with the cast and she looks "posh" for story reasons. Interesting.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
I keep forgetting this is a thing. I'm interested to see how it turns out, how they adapt certain parts and if there's stuff they just leave out. Like what do they do about the side stories that aren't linked to the main plot.

Hugare

Man, that episode about a convention will be something. Are they filming the regular Gaiman stories? That will be wild, although some probably will not make it.
From the casting, they will be filming the first stories: Sandman in Hell, John Dee's stuff, serial killer's convention ...

Season 1 will probably end with Dream meeting Death. It's one of Sandman's best issues, so it will end with a bang.

Corinthian, from, you know, Sandman HQ

Mad excited for the series.

Really hard to stick the landing and make something as good as the comics, but we will see

Johanna Constantine looks off, tho. Constantine is a disturbed fellow, that looks like havent showered in ages.

She looks too "clean". I can't believe that this chick fights demons and shit for living.

EDIT: Oh, I've just seen the interview with the cast and she looks "posh" for story reasons. Interesting.

Johanna is not meant to be John, she's actually a character from the lore. DC apparently didn't want them using John Constantine so they used Johanna instead who has her own stories and lore, a descendent of the Constantine line.

Kssio_Aug

I never read the comics, although heard awesome things about it many times. The show looks fantastic though, will definitely watch it!

ManaByte

Gaiman seems very happy with it, seeing as this took 30 years to make.

Just brace yourself for the bitching about the casting choices that's soon to erupt.
Screaming Matt Damon GIF

ManaByte

Johanna is not meant to be John, she's actually a character from the lore. DC apparently didn't want them using John Constantine so they used Johanna instead who has her own stories and lore, a descendent of the Constantine line.

Yea DC wouldn't let them use John because JJ Abrams is using him in Justice League Dark and they're apparently giving him his own HBO Max series to lead into that.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm curious how "DC" this will be with references to heroes and stuff. I wonder if they cut it back to not promote HBO max :p

ManaByte

I'm curious how "DC" this will be with references to heroes and stuff. I wonder if they cut it back to not promote HBO max :p

Zero, except for the Constantine name. They keep the Sandman Universe separate. Constantine is the only real crossover to DC, and this isn't even the same Constantine.

Binge the first 2 episodes. Excellent so far, really sells the otherworldly nature of the series. Lets get this to top 10 on netflix so that those exec fucks dont cancel it after the first season.

Alx

I think I’ll subscribe for 1 month just to watch it. The reviews are good so I’m optimistic, but I’m not too thrilled by the looks of Morpheus and Death (all the other changes are either fine or unimportant, but those two are my favorite characters and it’s hard to imagine them different from their comics counterpart)

RAÏSanÏa

That first episode was good. Nice use of effects. It set up the show well. I have only a little familiarity with the character from a couple Death comics I read about 30 years ago. Those didn't talk about the Dreaming. The way the show's rebuilding the Dreaming is a wonderful way to explain working with egregores after the fall of the old aeon.

Alx

You know it won't. Dream going to hell will always be one of the greatest comic book arcs of all time.
Yup that « duel » is what got me into the serie. My favorite part was the Death spin-off though, she’s just the best character and I love whenever she appears in the saga.

John Bilbo

This show seems to take a few liberties in the story and dialogue, but I might be wrong: I read the comics over a decade ago.

TheMan

This show seems to take a few liberties in the story and dialogue, but I might be wrong: I read the comics over a decade ago.
It does. For example Cain and Abel’s dynamic felt watered down (so far, I haven’t finished the show)

Last edited:

Jayjayhd34

I'm on the second episiode now. Never read the comics so can't compare . However rather enjoying it. Netflix really letting me lately then bam they release something good just wish more shows like this because at this rate I'm paying 16.99 just watch one show

John Bilbo

I have to say I find many of the casting choices weird. As if though they purposefully chose actors and actresses who don't fit their parts at all.

John Bilbo

Episodes 5 and 6 were quite enjoyable.

Damn the stories are still tight. Visual effects are mostly very well done.

I guess they stretched the image purposefully, maybe to make a resemblance to the comics or add style to the show? I don't know, it was weird at first, but I guess it makes sense this show being mostly from Dream's perspective.

Wildebeest

I don't really want to watch this because to me 90s Sandman is Sandman and I don't want anything else. I do think Gwendoline Christie is an interesting Lucifer, though. She was good as Titania.

jason10mm

Gold Member
How much gore/nudity is in this? I'm assuming it isn't family friendly by any stretch but is it straight up adults only? The comic bounced around quite a bit so it could go either way.

Kimahri

Banned
I have to say I find many of the casting choices weird. As if though they purposefully chose actors and actresses who don't fit their parts at all.
Yeah, I'm kinda put off by a lot of the casting. Not looking exactly like their comic book counterpart is to be expected, but to me many of them both look and feel like completely different characters.

Reallt don't like Dream's actor, and Death is, well, a different character all together.

FunkMiller

As a huge fan of the comic, a lot of the changes are a little jarring.

There’s certainly a degree of the old Netflix wokery creeping in, where certain decisions have been made to suit objectives rather removed from actually telling a good story.

However, it remains The Sandman, and is therefore marvellous.

Not enough Batman yet, though. 🤪

Last edited:

dream

Two episodes in, and as someone who reads the series once a year, I feel like this would be absolutely incomprehensible to anyone who hasn’t read the comic.

dream

that said, Joanna is fucking amazing and I hope the series lasts long enough for us to get to see her
handling Orpheus’s decapitated head

FunkMiller

that said, Joanna is fucking amazing and I hope the series lasts long enough for us to get to see her
handling Orpheus’s decapitated head

I thought I’d be more bothered about the necessary gender swap, given the usage issues, but Coleman is doing a great job.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Oh, come on.

They could have had Dee actually escape from proper Arkham Asylum.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Kind of pathetic they’re not using the DC stuff.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
First episode was really great.

Hate Dream's hair though. Just hate it. Should bu longer.

And been a while since I read the comic, but shouldn't his eyes be just dark pits with stars in them?

belmarduk

Sweet!
We got Uncharted too!
I was going to wait until this one was streaming because you don't know if it will be any good.

TheMan

First episode was really great.

Hate Dream's hair though. Just hate it. Should bu longer.

And been a while since I read the comic, but shouldn't his eyes be just dark pits with stars in them?

I feel Alan Rickman would have been the perfect Dream if he were alive.

I binged the whole thing today and I would say it’s quite good overall

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Oh, come on.

They could have had Dee actually escape from proper Arkham Asylum.

Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Kind of pathetic they’re not using the DC stuff.
Considering it would then have to be on HBO/HBOMax/Discovery+ and the cluster fuck that is going on there be glad it isnt.

Top Bottom