• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2022

FunkMiller

2015 for fuck's sake!! Add New Gods, Man of Steel II, Batman vs Deathstroke and you have the greatest DC line up you could dream about.
Shazam 2 and Black Adam both look ok-ish imo, but this is not enough...

Yes. But Batman V Superman and Suicide Squad were shit, so it all went tits up.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Won't argue with Suicide Squad, I still feel the cringe from that scene with Joker and Harley "you want to fuck my girl" or something like that.
BvS on the other hand... theatrical is meh but UE is one of my favorite CBM. It is the endless debate, to each their own.

But I think we can both agree that DC and WB should have gone with that plan rather than doing what they did.

SJRB

Gold Member

Only reason BvS was shit was because WB kept meddling. Ultimate Edition is miles better than the theatrical release.

Man I can't fucking believe we got nothing today. Absolutely nothing. Where the FUCK is JJ Abrams?

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Won't argue with Suicide Squad, I still feel the cringe from that scene with Joker and Harley "you want to fuck my girl" or something like that.
BvS on the other hand... theatrical is meh but UE is one of my favorite CBM. It is the endless debate, to each their own.

But I think we can both agree that DC and WB should have gone with that plan rather than doing what they did.

They should have followed their own highly successful template as established with The Dark Knight trilogy, instead of desperately rushing to copy the MCU with cross over movies. Every step of the way they’ve tried to copy Marvel out of sheer fucking greed. It’s failed time and time again.

FunkMiller

Only reason BvS was shit was because WB kept meddling. Ultimate Edition is miles better than the theatrical release.

UE was better, but still suffered from most of the same problems as theatrical. Snyder was the wrong man. But, like I say, they rushed into copying Marvel, and that’s why it all went to shit.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
They should have followed their own highly successful template as established with The Dark Knight trilogy, instead of desperately rushing to copy the MCU with cross over movies. Every step of the way they’ve tried to copy Marvel out of sheer fucking greed. It’s failed time and time again.
Nah, I'm ok with a connected universe. Especially when we see movies like The Batman who can be successful at the same time.
As a DC fan I do want to see the Justice League, Green Lantern interacting with Superman, the Hall of Justice and more, many more things.
DC needs to differ to Marvel on the tone of their movies. Don't chase full comedy, allow Shazam to exist but also Batfleck, grounded Superman, light hearted Flash etc... just how it was done in ZSJL.

SJRB

Gold Member
UE was better, but still suffered from most of the same problems as theatrical. Snyder was the wrong man. But, like I say, they rushed into copying Marvel, and that’s why it all went to shit.

This is so difficult for me because I recognize the flaws in Snyder but man did he deliver some amazing stuff. His vision for visual flair is second to none. Man of Steel is amazing, and BvS is not the Marvel-formula WB probably wanted but it is a great character piece with a ton of visually amazing sequences.

Ben Affleck as Batman is still an amazing casting that 10000% paid off, he was incredible.

I swear to god even after 6 years every time I feel like flunking out at the gym I watch that little training montage where Bruce goes hard on the dumbbells and that gets me pumped every single time.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
FYSo_o8VEAAipF9

Given that Vin Diesel got 54M for a few lines of "I am Groot!", the full standalone move will probably cost 500 Billions, at very least.

FunkMiller

This is so difficult for me because I recognize the flaws in Snyder but man did he deliver some amazing stuff. His vision for visual flair is second to none. Man of Steel is amazing, and BvS is not the Marvel-formula WB probably wanted but it is a great character piece with a ton of visually amazing sequences.

Ben Affleck as Batman is still an amazing casting that 10000% paid off, he was incredible.

I swear to god even after 6 years every time I feel like flunking out at the gym I watch that little training montage where Bruce goes hard on the dumbbells and that gets me pumped every single time.

Sadly, he can’t tell a decent story for shit, is generally horrible at characterisation, and has the emotional maturity of a nineteen year old.

But if he’d had someone standing over him who actually understood the characters of Superman and Batman, reining him in, I cheerfully concede he could have made a really decent DC movie. He is very good at visuals.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

Is it me or has this comicon been pretty shit? Have they shown anything interesting aside from D&D and LOTR?

Kagey K

Banned
Interview With the Vampire (2-2:45 p.m. PT, Ballroom 20)

Wait what is this?

They going to fuck up Anne Rice now?

AJUMP23

Chadwick was a great actor and I wish that we would have gotten more from him. But this must be a tricky place to be because they have to be respectful to the real world loss yet reflect it in the fantasy. I don’t know that this does it but it is trying to.

FunkMiller

So the whole Henry Cavill rumor was bullshit eh? Of course, it was. It sounded like a good idea.

Yep. All horseshit. Marvel have the next six years planned out, while DC don’t have a Superman, a sex offender for a Flash, a fucking maniac in Aquaman, and the only thing they show at SDCC is two Shazam movies.

It‘s honestly fucking embarrassing being a DC fan, and I pray Discovery just calls it quits and sells the whole damn thing to Amazon or Apple.

The Batman 2 is the only thing worth shit.

Last edited:

Salz01

Yep. All horseshit. Marvel have the next six years planned out, while DC don’t have a Superman, a sex offender for a Flash, a fucking maniac in Aquaman, and the only thing they show at SDCC is two Shazam movies.

It‘s honestly fucking embarrassing being a DC fan, and I pray Discovery just calls it quits and sells the whole damn thing to Amazon or Apple.

The Batman 2 is the only thing worth shit.
I think or feel DC fucked up a few years ago. They always seemed to have a shaky path. Now people are getting super hero fatigue.

ManaByte

I think or feel DC fucked up a few years ago. They always seemed to have a shaky path. Now people are getting super hero fatigue.

The problem with WB is they have a regime change every couple of years and the way Hollywood egos work is whatever the previous regime was working on gets thrown out because the new regime wants all the credit and money and they don't want to pay or credit people no longer there with any potential success. That's why WB basically ignored LOTR for more than a decade because they assimilated New Line and all of the people responsible for all the Oscars were long gone.

WB was trying to make JJ Abrams their Feige. They gave him $500M and he was working on a Justice League Dark shared universe/crossover between HBO Max and the movies, but then AT&T unloaded Warner to Discovery and now Discovery is cleaning house so there's yet another regime in charge of the DC movies and they have a different vision for them from JJ Abrams' bullshit.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Us Batman fans are happy.

Robert Pattinson Dc GIF by The Batman

But that’s about it. The rest is a fucking travesty.
DC isn't just Batman. And that movie and Joker both proved you can have a connected universe and also other adaptation standing on their own. The GA is not stupid and know the difference.
So WB should fire with all cylinder; go back to the plan from 2015 and allow Batman 2, a stand alone Superman if they want to etc... while also FINALLY building an universe where we could see all those heroes interact with each other. ZSJL was fuckin awesome FFS.

Re-watched it last night and I don't think it'll ever be surpassed as a Batman movie.
The Batman 2 is coming and I think it can improve just as much as TDK was an improvement over Begins.

FunkMiller

So WB should fire with all cylinder; go back to the plan from 2015 and allow Batman 2, a stand alone Superman if they want to etc... while also FINALLY building an universe where we could see all those heroes interact with each other. ZSJL was fuckin awesome FFS.

Only for a very few people. It was a creative cul de sac that was never all that popular with most of the audience. And you need to have mass appeal for this stuff to do well.

They should have moved away from it completely, but they have no vision or strategy. They half ass everything. That’s why they’re in so much trouble.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Only for a very few people. It was a creative cul de sac that was never all that popular with most of the audience. And you need to have mass appeal for this stuff to do well.
Disagree. You may not like the movie but it is very popular and well received. It is absolutely not a creative cul-de-sac, WB don't want to continue the story, that's not the same.

unknown.png

They should have moved away from it completely, but they have no vision or strategy. They half ass everything. That’s why they’re in so much trouble.
Yeah right now, but in 2016 there was an established plan (posting it again since you may not saw it apparently)

dc.jpg

And this is good! This is what I want from DC and what most fans want: JL II & III, Cyborg, MoS II or Green Lantern for example. Just look at the reaction literally everywhere after this SDCC.
To think that if they followed that plan, we would have Flashpoint coming soon with a soft reboot for the DCEU if they wanted to (getting rid of Ezra/Heard etc... in an easy way)
But they chose to chase the humor and tone of the MCU, trying to fix it all by slaughtering the first ever Justice League live-action movie... WTF was Wonder Woman 84 seriously. Throwing shit at a wall to see what stick....

jason10mm

Gold Member
The problem with DC is that Marvel is beating them to the punch with a lot of concepts and DC doesn't seem to want to take risks with their more unique properties. I imagine a Lantern Corp film woulda looked too much like GotG, Zatanna or Constantine was beaten by Dr. Strange, etc. Superman is too hard a character to crack and shouldn't be a centerpiece, he is the big gun brought in selectively IMHO. DC has the potential, I feel like they are chasing the wrong demo. They need to aim younger with more kid friendly stuff.

jason10mm

Gold Member
The GLC was more like Training Day in space with Hal training Stewart. The movie had to go back to re-writes as in the original version Hal died which is why Tom Cruise turned it down.
So Hal turns out to be a brutal abuser of his authority? Otherwise I don't see the Training Day parallels and such a story would totally undermine the entire concept of the Lantern Corp. I get a desire for a "buddy cop" relationship but Training Day?....ooph.

ManaByte

So Hal turns out to be a brutal abuser of his authority? Otherwise I don't see the Training Day parallels and such a story would totally undermine the entire concept of the Lantern Corp. I get a desire for a "buddy cop" relationship but Training Day?....ooph.

They said the tone was more serious like Training Day than something like Lethal Weapon.

Top Bottom