• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

San Diego Comic-Con 2022

Full Marvel Hall H panel

The problem with DC is that Marvel is beating them to the punch with a lot of concepts and DC doesn't seem to want to take risks with their more unique properties. I imagine a Lantern Corp film woulda looked too much like GotG, Zatanna or Constantine was beaten by Dr. Strange, etc. Superman is too hard a character to crack and shouldn't be a centerpiece, he is the big gun brought in selectively IMHO. DC has the potential, I feel like they are chasing the wrong demo. They need to aim younger with more kid friendly stuff.

I don't really buy this reason. DC beat marvel to the punch with the first female led Superhero movie and with Aquaman before Namor. Marvel was still successful with Captain Marvel and Namor is looking good in Wakanda Forever. DC's problem is its leadership and the people who can greenlight stuff.

FunkMiller

Disagree. You may not like the movie but it is very popular and well received. It is absolutely not a creative cul-de-sac, WB don't want to continue the story, that's not the same.

The Snyder Cut came out nearly a year and a half ago. If it had done well, they would have announced a follow up project by now. Snyder’s work is extremely popular… just not with that many people.

I totally understand that some people love his stuff (hell, I really like his Dawn Of The Dead and 300), but clearly not enough. And that was always the case. He was the wrong guy.

Last edited:

ManaByte

I totally understand that some people love his stuff (hell, I really like his Dawn Of The Dead and 300), but clearly not enough. And that was always the case. He was the wrong guy.

They don't like hearing this but the only reason he got Man of Steel was that WB had a gun to their head and had to get a new Superman movie in production before the end of 2011 they'd lose Superman to that lawyer and the heirs. He was available and their other options wouldn't be able to start it on time.

“The Court pointedly ruled that if Warner Bros. does not start production on another Superman film by 2011, the Siegels will be able to sue to recover their damages,” Toberoff added. “The Siegels look forward to the remainder of the case, which will determine how much defendants owe them for their exploitations of Superman.”

I kind of wonder what the Matt Reeves Man of Steel would've been like seeing how perfect he got Batman.

They don't like hearing this but the only reason he got Man of Steel was that WB had a gun to their head and had to get a new Superman movie in production before the end of 2011 they'd lose Superman to that lawyer and the heirs. He was available and their other options wouldn't be able to start it on time.

I kind of wonder what the Matt Reeves Man of Steel would've been like seeing how perfect he got Batman.

As much as I love Man of Steel I would say more true to his character :p

I would love it if Matt Reeves gets the Keys to the whole DC Universe. He would make some awesome DC movies and shows. I want that Green Lantern show but my guess is that it's canceled. It's been 3 years since the announcement. I will be so disappointed if that ends up happening

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Batman isn't a hard character to do. They've been doing successful Batman movies for 30 years. Superman as a character is the problem. He's too powerful. Superman could clean up Gotham in a day. The only time he's remotely interesting is when he's a bad guy.

AJUMP23

The only worse Batman film then the recent “the Batman” is the Clooney Batman movies. All the others are enjoyable for various reasons. But the Batman is to long and dumb. Only good scene was the bat mobile chase.

FunkMiller

Batman isn't a hard character to do. They've been doing successful Batman movies for 30 years. Superman as a character is the problem. He's too powerful. Superman could clean up Gotham in a day. The only time he's remotely interesting is when he's a bad guy.

Er…

christopher reeve smiling GIF

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Warners have never understood, liked, or cared about Superman as anything other than something they can cash in on with minimal effort or passion. All you hear is constant moaning that he’s too corny, or too heroic, or too goodie-goodie.

Meanwhile, over at Marvel

Captain America GIF

FunkMiller

And it's been shit ever since. Those first two are good I'll give you that. You'll never see another Superman movie like that again though. Far too hopeful and positive.

It has indeed.

That’s because no one since Donner has understood what Superman should be. They all want him to be a mythic god alien. He’s not that. At all.

As you say, he’s meant to be a positive, hopeful character. The problem is they’ve never hired anyone with the talent to write that character well.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It has indeed.

That’s because no one since Donner has understood what Superman should be. They all want him to be a mythic god alien. He’s not that. At all.

As you say, he’s meant to be a positive, hopeful character. The problem is they’ve never hired anyone with the talent to write that character well.
I do wonder how Burtons version would have been tone-wise. Hard to imagine that droopy dog dude would have made a good Superman movie.

FunkMiller

I do wonder how Burtons version would have been tone-wise. Hard to imagine that droopy dog dude would have made a good Superman movie.

Oh, that would probably have been a horror show too 😂 Tim Burton only ever wanted to make Tim Burton type movies.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

superman-hope.gif

Also the wording is interesting:

unknown.png

"root for him to WIN"
So there is some resistance from WB. I'm pretty sure Cavill wants a solo movie and WB doesn't.

Krathoon

And he is one thousand percent correct 👍

Edit: the social media breakdowns by the spunk trumpets on social media over this is glorious.
Discovery does not hold my attention. It also does not help that Trek is not on public TV. Don't put it behind a pay wall.

Top Bottom