• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown |OT| Buddhists Too Much Damage!

Nymphae

Banned

NejRfcX.png

xWjqp6i.png

vq0bFA3.png

QCcqtAU.png

onyFBBT.png

2aOx7TS.png
OhVqiQp.png

gWosD8m.png
ieydhzO.png

vatlPJf.png
DtLDJbu.png

4ErQNVe.png
HsZujs5.png

Ykc5cu3.png
RYs45RB.png

isFqZu9.png

lZwzeT8.png

fWjOxfC.png

Z3GF1Cz.png

JUfPJxW.png

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Awesome OT, and I wanted to say thanks Nymphae Nymphae for the heads up about the season pass in the other thread. Darli Dagger, Yashamaru, and Shield Girl Wu are the characters I want most to take for a spin. Their playstyles look really fun.

No problem! I hope everyone that was interested snagged that Season Pass in time!

You're all about the new characters eh? Yashamaru is very badass. I'm not really digging how the other 2 play so far, but I do like their designs. Thinking I'm going to stick with Ukyo as my main character, and maybe try to get good with Yoshitora as well, I love the little mini-game he has trying to land all 6 specials to allow access to his insane 7th sword move. I love Ukyo's design and stance, and for some reason I love that he has tuberculosis and coughs a lot lol. His win animation with the Japanese girls following him is great too.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
No problem! I hope everyone that was interested snagged that Season Pass in time!

You're all about the new characters eh? Yashamaru is very badass. I'm not really digging how the other 2 play so far, but I do like their designs. Thinking I'm going to stick with Ukyo as my main character, and maybe try to get good with Yoshitora as well, I love the little mini-game he has trying to land all 6 specials to allow access to his insane 7th sword move.
I haven't played SamSho in quite a while, so they're all on equal footing for me. Yoshitora sounds kinda like Zappa from GG (who landed specials to charge up a meter, and then would finally unleash a big ghost-dude).

Nymphae

Banned
I haven't played SamSho in quite a while, so they're all on equal footing for me. Yoshitora sounds kinda like Zappa from GG (who landed specials to charge up a meter, and then would finally unleash a big ghost-dude).

That's part of the appeal of this series for me, the execution requirements are so low and most of the cast uses QCF/Bs or DPs, a few half circles but nothing too crazy, no charge characters.
Great OT, this is the quality I like(d) and love to see on GAF.
Might I suggest linking the images to the appropriate video(s)?

Thank you! You mean the character reveal videos? Well I wanted the character thumbnails to open into a larger version of the image, I'm not sure I can have that as well as have the image link to a video? I was considering putting these in the Video section, but I was looking around for them today (this is tough when my work blocks nearly all videogame related content lol), and I believe they only made those videos for 8 of the 16 base characters.

Ol'Scratch

So much loving this game. Can't wait for the limited NeoGeo classic to come in to complete the experience for me. This has always been one of my favorite series and I am glad that they took such care with this release.

Pantz

Found out the hard way to not take on the final boss as Yoshitora without practicing how to use his 7th special move. I had to surrender for now. First time feeling a slight bit of controller rage in years. It suffered a mild toss onto my soft bed.

Nymphae

Banned
Is anyone else unable to open larger versions of the images in the Stages section and last half of the Character section of the OP? On mobile it seems to work when I touch the thumbnails, from both mobile and desktop view. But on my PC, I am unable to click and get larger versions. I'm not sure what I did wrong I created everything the same way.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Found out the hard way to not take on the final boss as Yoshitora without practicing how to use his 7th special move. I had to surrender for now. First time feeling a slight bit of controller rage in years. It suffered a mild toss onto my soft bed.

It was making me rage for a few days too lol. I've gotten pretty good at it now, this strategy applies to pretty much the whole roster. Basically I'm standing point blank and constantly either neutral jumping or jumping at her, hitting HS in the air, and just defend the icicle projectile things for meter. You can get a lot of hits in this way as long as you don't get too unlucky with her attack patterns. The constant jumping really helps avoid that insane grab move she has that I can never seem to react to in time. The only things that really cheese me now are her super special move and her WF move, she can basically teleport cross up into it and if you're not waiting for it, it can be tricky to react to. She always does it near the end of her health bar so it's not too hard to keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:

zenspider

Great OT!

I wanna bite on this game so bad.
The whole methodical playstyle is my jam, and the play I've ssen so far look fantastic. I was hoping I could rent it or borrow it from the library to see how the online plays with my router on PS4 - it's 50/50 if PS4 or PC will be better - and them I'm likely in for a Switch copy too.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
The final boss is either easy or bs. She is mostly luck based. Since she can use a literal one hit kill at anytime during the second half of the fight.

I beat her pretty fast with Shiki. But had trouble with Kyo.

Nymphae

Banned
I really should have reserved the second post for more stuff :messenger_grinning_sweat: I'm trying to update the character images with a little trailer flag under each one you can click to go to the youtube page for that, but I was not aware you can only have 50 images in a post. I'll figure something out.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I really should have reserved the second post for more stuff :messenger_grinning_sweat: I'm trying to update the character images with a little trailer flag under each one you can click to go to the youtube page for that, but I was not aware you can only have 50 images in a post. I'll figure something out.
Just place your hyperlinks on their own row underneath and space them appropriately.

Kind Of Like This (but spaced for your pics, of course)

Nymphae

Banned
Just place your hyperlinks on their own row underneath and space them appropriately.

Kind Of Like This (but spaced for your pics, of course)

Thank you! But I really wanted to add the image banners :messenger_tears_of_joy: So I just combined all of the stage images into one big image, they weren't that large when you clicked them individually anyway.

I also added some video links, an "Embrace Death" trailer, SonicSol's beginner's guide, and Top 8 from the first big tournament for the game at CEO 2019.

Nymphae

Banned
Damnit it looks like a mess on mobile, but I designed it to look like this:

t7r0ClH.png

Edit: There! I got the stage images back in, and I removed the banners and made the thumbnails just link to the character videos, I will add a portrait gallery at a later date.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Damnit it looks like a mess on mobile, but I designed it to look like this:

t7r0ClH.png

Edit: There! I got the stage images back in, and I removed the banners and made the thumbnails just link to the character videos, I will add a portrait gallery at a later date.
It looks great don't worry about it.

Nymphae

Banned
It looks great don't worry about it.

Thank you! Well on my phone, it was showing the first row of 4 character images, and then 4 trailer banners, then 4 characters, etc. Just not what I intended and would be confusing for a mobile user to know which trailer button to click. I really liked how that looked with the banners but it probably makes more sense to just have those link to the trailers, and underneath all that I will add some other thumbnails you can click for bigger character portraits.

Nymphae

Banned
SNK and Athlon Games adding $30,000 to Samurai Shodown's EVO pot bonus plus prizes after becoming the company's most-entered title in event history

09_prize02.jpg

09_prize01.jpg

09_prize03.jpg

Samurai Shodown sat in fourth place overall out of the nine mainstage EVO 2019 titles as far as entrants go at the start of July which means that the title already has more than 1,000 competitors lined up to take a crack at the newest major title on the scene.

Those who make it to at least winners / losers final will also nab a limited edition Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Mini console, an awesome looking Haohmaru / Samurai Spirits jacket and an original Nakoruru sketch signed by SNK illustrator Yumi Saji.

That jacket looks sick, and the custom mini cab would be sweet. Nice little pot bonus for the first Evo Tourney as well. I'm pretty excited to watch that next month, been watching Valle learn the game on the WNF Twitch.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
SNK and Athlon Games adding $30,000 to Samurai Shodown's EVO pot bonus plus prizes after becoming the company's most-entered title in event history

09_prize02.jpg

09_prize01.jpg

09_prize03.jpg

That jacket looks sick, and the custom mini cab would be sweet. Nice little pot bonus for the first Evo Tourney as well. I'm pretty excited to watch that next month, been watching Valle learn the game on the WNF Twitch.
It'd be wild if this franchise came back in a big way. EVO has been instrumental in shining a spotlight on these non-Smash, non-SF, non-NeverRealms fighting titles. I mean, EVO gave a headline spot to UNIEL which blows my mind.

Nymphae

Banned
It'd be wild if this franchise came back in a big way. EVO has been instrumental in shining a spotlight on these non-Smash, non-SF, non-NeverRealms fighting titles. I mean, EVO gave a headline spot to UNIEL which blows my mind.

I really hope it does and stays strong, I never got into it in the past, but man I'm loving the playstyle so much. I've seen several people around the internet predict an early death for various reasons - the DLC was not to their liking, the tiers are garbage, it's not flashy enough, etc. I dunno, we'll see. I love it so far and there seems to be interest in the title, but apparently DBFZ interest is way way down this year, hard to say what will happen to a fighter in a year or two's time. SNK seems to be backing it hard, and I think it really deserves to be up there with the big boys.

kunonabi

I really hope it does and stays strong, I never got into it in the past, but man I'm loving the playstyle so much. I've seen several people around the internet predict an early death for various reasons - the DLC was not to their liking, the tiers are garbage, it's not flashy enough, etc. I dunno, we'll see. I love it so far and there seems to be interest in the title, but apparently DBFZ interest is way way down this year, hard to say what will happen to a fighter in a year or two's time. SNK seems to be backing it hard, and I think it really deserves to be up there with the big boys.

The biggest problem is the online. A solid patch can fix most of the balance issues and they just need to announce a second dlc season is coming.

Nymphae

Banned
The biggest problem is the online. A solid patch can fix most of the balance issues and they just need to announce a second dlc season is coming.

I haven't even touched it yet, I've been trying to no-continue the story with everyone for the artwork. But yeah I hear it's a little rough right now, hopefully they can do something - they were good about fixing the input lag issue quickly.

I would assume they are going to do a second season pass. The one character in the first pass is the Fire dude, and James Chen was talking about how it's weird they chose him because he's never in a game without the Ice guy, which to me indicates he'll likely be in the second pass.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thank you! Well on my phone, it was showing the first row of 4 character images, and then 4 trailer banners, then 4 characters, etc. Just not what I intended and would be confusing for a mobile user to know which trailer button to click. I really liked how that looked with the banners but it probably makes more sense to just have those link to the trailers, and underneath all that I will add some other thumbnails you can click for bigger character portraits.
Yeah it's a pain getting it to look right on all formats and themes.
I have the same problem, and I do it on mobile.
But yours look fine.

Last edited:

kunonabi

I haven't even touched it yet, I've been trying to no-continue the story with everyone for the artwork. But yeah I hear it's a little rough right now, hopefully they can do something - they were good about fixing the input lag issue quickly.

I would assume they are going to do a second season pass. The one character in the first pass is the Fire dude, and James Chen was talking about how it's weird they chose him because he's never in a game without the Ice guy, which to me indicates he'll likely be in the second pass.

Yeah, not having both is super odd which is why I also suspect his brother is on the way. He's the main reason I play SamSho so he better be in.

Nymphae

Banned
Samurai Shodown's Version 1.02 update fixes bug that would treat completed matches as rage quits among other changes

The Version 1.02 update is now available to download for Samurai Shodown players which fixes a bug that would treat completed ranked matches as rage quits and hurt players' online standing in the process along with some other changes.

Players who were afflicted with this glitch would complete ranked matches only to be met with a notification giving them a warning that quitting matches will hurt their standing in matchmaking. If it happened enough times, the blue smiley face next to their name would turn into a red frown. They would then be primarily be paired with other "rage quitters" until their standing improved.

The other notable change applied to this new patch makes all backsteps for characters behave the same way so that they are counted as airborne immediately. This implementation affects Ukyo, Kyoshiro, Charlotte and Wu-Ruixiang while Kyoshiro also had his invincibility frames from the input reduced to match other fighters.
10_patch01.png

Glad I haven't ventured online yet, that's a bummer of a glitch.

Last edited:

kunonabi

That backdash glitch was immensely frustrating as a Wu player. Her slow-ass normals and glitched backdash pretty much forced you to jump or dodge to avoid throws. She stills sucks but this helps a bunch.

I love the game but I'm still baffled as to how they fucked up the casual lobby setup. It's not winner stays on. After every match, in order to spectate you must ready into a viewing slot from a neutral slot before two people ready into their player spots or else you're stuck looking at the lobby screen for the rest of the fight. After every fight. If you beat someone they can just mash their way into a player spot again after the fight before anyone else can get in there. It's a ridiculous system which I hope they fix, sharpish. Also, I think after the appearance at Evo they will see a pretty big uptick in interest. I predict hype matches all round.

kunonabi

I love the game but I'm still baffled as to how they fucked up the casual lobby setup. It's not winner stays on. After every match, in order to spectate you must ready into a viewing slot from a neutral slot before two people ready into their player spots or else you're stuck looking at the lobby screen for the rest of the fight. After every fight. If you beat someone they can just mash their way into a player spot again after the fight before anyone else can get in there. It's a ridiculous system which I hope they fix, sharpish. Also, I think after the appearance at Evo they will see a pretty big uptick in interest. I predict hype matches all round.

Yeah, It's a complete mess. you can't even set up 2 out of 3 matches, etc.

Pantz

Xbox One version getting review bombed since nobody who pre-ordered got their free season pass. Hopefully they can sort this out. Didn't get mine either even though it's already released on the store.

Also kind of sucks the deluxe edition seems to have exclusive content (Retro 3D Genjuro and Haohmaru). I could be wrong but it doesn't look like those are included with the season pass. Not that two skins are worth the extra $20 but if you did want them and already bought the standard version without knowing there would be a deluxe version coming out after launch, you're screwed and have to rebuy the full deluxe version to get them. Not a big deal but these kinds of things do annoy me.

Nymphae

Banned
Xbox One version getting review bombed since nobody who pre-ordered got their free season pass. Hopefully they can sort this out. Didn't get mine either even though it's already released on the store.

Also kind of sucks the deluxe edition seems to have exclusive content (Retro 3D Genjuro and Haohmaru). I could be wrong but it doesn't look like those are included with the season pass. Not that two skins are worth the extra $20 but if you did want them and already bought the standard version without knowing there would be a deluxe version coming out after launch, you're screwed and have to rebuy the full deluxe version to get them. Not a big deal but these kinds of things do annoy me.

I think I saw those retro skins on the PSN store, I forget how much they are. That sucks about the season passes for Xbox owners though, hopefully they can make good on that.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
For those who've been playing it: does it preserve the simpler, punish-heavy gameplay of the older games? I always liked how one clumsy attack could be countered and you'd lose half your health.

Nymphae

Banned
For those who've been playing it: does it preserve the simpler, punish-heavy gameplay of the older games? I always liked how one clumsy attack could be countered and you'd lose half your health.

That's what everyone is saying yeah. I didn't play the old ones much, I messed around with SSV Special for PS4, and this feels similar to that.

No big combos, very unsafe heavy attacks that do like a third of your lifebar, super special moves and the lightning blade do like 80% (but the lightning blade doesn't feel like a cheap mechanic like Fatal Blow does in MK to me - in SS if you do the Rage Explosion, you are sacrificing meter for the rest of the match, and it's not a guaranteed hit.)

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
That's what everyone is saying yeah. I didn't play the old ones much, I messed around with SSV Special for PS4, and this feels similar to that.

No big combos, very unsafe heavy attacks that do like a third of your lifebar, super special moves and the lightning blade do like 80% (but the lightning blade doesn't feel like a cheap mechanic like Fatal Blow does in MK to me - in SS if you do the Rage Explosion, you are sacrificing meter for the rest of the match, and it's not a guaranteed hit.)
MMmm sounds great. I have plenty of complex/convoluted weeb fighters on my shelf like Arcana Hearts or GG or UNIEL if I'm in the mood for that, so it's really nice to see a fighter reward strong fundamentals in this way.

Nymphae

Banned
MMmm sounds great. I have plenty of complex/convoluted weeb fighters on my shelf like Arcana Hearts or GG or UNIEL if I'm in the mood for that, so it's really nice to see a fighter reward strong fundamentals in this way.

Yeah absolutely, there is definitely a place for a game like this. I really wish I had gotten into the series earlier, it really forces you to focus on the fundamentals and taking your time. I'll definitely be picking up that Samsho collection coming out later this year.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Oddly enough teh sceen is supposedly enough is really good but the hdmi out is the best way to go. The game list is the super star and the emulation is flawless.

Oh wow didn't see that it had HDMI out, that's great. Desire to purchase increasing.....

It's kind of cool to mess around on that little screen, even for the novelty. I'm tempted to pick one up since my kids got a ton of mileage out of the SNES Mini (and likely the upcoming Genesis Mini too).

Yeah I would actually like to try it and see if the arcade stick and buttons are even useable at all lol. But would be really cool to just have off to the side of my TV with HDMI connected.

Top Bottom