• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung suggests it could be behind PS5 ‘game changing’ SSD

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

At its Samsung SSD forum in Tokyo this month (via PC Watch), the tech firm revealed that it is working on a new NVMe (Non-Volatile Memory Express) SSD which will be installed on a game console released in 2020.

An accompanying slide includes a picture of a PlayStation DualShock controller.

Samsung claimed its SSD will introduce a new era to game consoles, with load times reduced by more than a third when loading games or booting up hardware.

DSC05371-768x432.jpg

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
That's a picture of a PS4 Slim, not just a Dual Shock 4.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fucking thing cost me £220. It's faster than a standard SSD, but there's not a lot of difference. Much easier to install, though.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Fucking thing cost me £220. It's faster than a standard SSD, but there's not a lot of difference. Much easier to install, though.

Most are also running it on SATA and not PCIe 4.0, nor is any game optimized for either setup at the moment as well. Star Citizen is attempting it at the moment.

Things will change when the baseline is such next-gen. PCs will also take advantage of that as well, thankfully.

Last edited:
Most are also running it on SATA and not PCIe 4.0, nor is any game optimized for either setup at the moment as well. Star Citizen is attempting it at the moment.

Things will change when the baseline is such next-gen. PCs will also take advantage of that as well, thankfully.
My advice would be just keep your expectations in check. If it sounds too good to be true, chances are it is.

It does appear to be true that games today are not optimized for NVMe.

The current state of NVMe drives is this - Moving from HDD to SSD is a huge difference. But moving from SSD to NVMe results in hardly any improvement. It's literally just 1 second better despite being MUCH faster.

HDD top out at just under 200MB/s
SSD tops out at just under 600MB/s

So ~3x faster makes a HUGE difference in game loading.

But then after jumping up to an NVMe ( which in the above video tops out at around 3000MB/s .... it only loads games 1 second faster.

But then you can jump up again from NVMe (PCIe 3.0) to NVMe (PCIe 4.0) when read/write are in the 5000MB/s range currently.... pretty much no improvement again.

So, there it is.

I'm not sure why faster NVMe drives don't result in improved load times. Maybe the transfer speed simply isn't what's bottle-necking the loading past a certain point. Maybe games just need to be "optimized" for NVMe, whatever that means.

Maybe NVMe drives are better for streaming in data while playing open world games. I'm not sure if that's true today though.

But we are getting to the point that NVMe prices are getting really close to SSD prices, making far more sense to go NVMe ( even the cheap ones are 3x faster than the fastest SSDs ), even if they don't currently offer much benefit to gaming.... currently.

TLZ

Banned
It does appear to be true that games today are not optimized for NVMe.

The current state of NVMe drives is this - Moving from HDD to SSD is a huge difference. But moving from SSD to NVMe results in hardly any improvement. It's literally just 1 second better despite being MUCH faster.

HDD top out at just under 200MB/s
SSD tops out at just under 600MB/s

So ~3x faster makes a HUGE difference in game loading.

But then after jumping up to an NVMe ( which in the above video tops out at around 3000MB/s .... it only loads games 1 second faster.

But then you can jump up again from NVMe (PCIe 3.0) to NVMe (PCIe 4.0) when read/write are in the 5000MB/s range currently.... pretty much no improvement again.

So, there it is.

I'm not sure why faster NVMe drives don't result in improved load times. Maybe the transfer speed simply isn't what's bottle-necking the loading past a certain point. Maybe games just need to be "optimized" for NVMe, whatever that means.

Maybe NVMe drives are better for streaming in data while playing open world games. I'm not sure if that's true today though.

But we are getting to the point that NVMe prices are getting really close to SSD prices, making far more sense to go NVMe ( even the cheap ones are 3x faster than the fastest SSDs ), even if they don't currently offer much benefit to gaming.... currently.

No matter how fast it is, it must be limited by the controller used in the system.

Top Bottom