• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung exynos getting RDNA2 + ray tracing

Plantoid

It’s official! Flagship Exynos chip with AMD RDNA2 GPU is coming later this year
AMD CEO Dr. Lisa Su made it official during the company’s Computex 2021 launch event today that the next flagship Exynos processor will include RDNA2 graphics. The brand-new GPU, which is coming to mobile devices for the first time, will include advanced features like ray tracing and variable rate shading to offer higher fidelity graphics and improved power efficiency. RDNA2 is AMD’s latest graphics architecture, and GPUs based on the technology are used in AMD’s 6000 series graphics cards, PS5, and the Xbox Series X|S.

So... Ray trancing is coming to mobile, where's my raytracing switch?

tkscz

Impressive, shows how far mobile technology is coming.

However, whats the point? Hardware limitations has never been why big AAA games don't come to mobile, it's always been the market.

Most people will download a free-to-play game than they will pay for a game, even if the game is only a buck.

It's a cool idea, but unless Samsung is releasing their own handheld gaming device (or the next Galaxy is sporting to be a gaming phone), I don't see the reason for that much power.

tkscz

This will eventually make the Switch and any handheld console obsolete.

The Switch was obsolete when it released. It is, for all intents and purposes, a GT750 in handheld form. The hardware was 3 years old upon it's release.

The new line of handheld computers we're seeing were never going to last that long in terms of power considering how fast iGPUs become outdated.

Here's hoping that Lovelace rumor was true about the next gen Switch.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The power can already be there for a good mobile platform, especially on iPhones.

Form factor and software library will always matter though. No good control input, no killer software. That's still a tall hurdle to get over.

The Switch was obsolete when it released. It is, for all intents and purposes, a GT750 in handheld form. The hardware was 3 years old upon it's release.

The new line of handheld computers we're seeing were never going to last that long in terms of power considering how fast iGPUs become outdated.

Here's hoping that Lovelace rumor was true about the next gen Switch.

Sony just made a new Mobile branch for PS:

Xbox is also teaming with Chinese company Tencent:

Physical controls are still king.

Can be solved with a proper controller/adapter.

Last edited:
Im suprised how the RDNA 2 microarchitecture was made from x86 to ARM. Im guessing that AMD is not interested in making ARM Zen CPU's and ARM RDNA GPU's themselves.

With Samsung Exynos+RDNA 2, im sure Android with ONE UI is going to run buttery smooth, plus better camera performance, but this does have the potential to make Windows 10 on ARM run better, considering that its embarrassing that Windows 10 on ARM runs better on Apples Custom M1 ARM silicon, *if* Samsung continues to make Windows 10 ARM tablets and laptops (especially with S-Pen).

With that being said, NVIDIA bought ARM, and they will be making their own ARM based CPU and GPU's which will further help Windows 10 on ARMS performance and mobility. Perhaps we can finally get x86 games to be recompiled to ARM?

This is very exciting !!!

Dr Bass

None of this means the Switch will be obsolete. Maybe the current one sure, but Nintendo does continue to put out new hardware, and they will continue to respond if they are properly challenged.

Think about it. You're kinda making the same argument here that I was making. In response to me saying software is important, you are claiming that the strength of these mobile platforms will be a result of MS and Sony making mobile games. So you agree that software is king then? Arguing that because RDNA2 can come to mobile, now mobile will win is the same thinking that sinks the Xbox division. Let's make the most powerful hardware on the market, and that will be enough.

But it doesn't work, and never has. People want the software the hardware runs, the people who are into the hardware for "power" reasons are a very small, unimportant, portion of the market.

Unless things change, mobile is going to continue to be squelched by Google and Apple. They control everything and as a result mobile gaming is going to stay pretty weak IMO. They simply take too much money, and mobile is heavily incentivized towards free to play setups, not the kinds of games PS thrives on. Of course it's smart for Sony and MS to try and expand into mobile, it's a huge market.

However this notion that all of a sudden "Nintendo is doomed" because competitors are entering an ancillary market that hasn't affected them to this day, seems odd to me. When I was a teen I worked at Software Etc. as my first job (which became GameStop), and even then people loved to say "Nintendo is in trouble, they are going to be out of business." They aren't going anywhere for a long time. People don't give two :lollipop_poop: about RDNA2 in mobile devices. We are at a point where graphics are "good enough" to deliver basically any kind of fun we want, and the cartoony Nintendo style is a timeless one. They just need to keep delivering the software people want, and they will continue to succeed.

splattered

So when do we think this will actually get implemented in smart phones? I'm still rocking the Note 10+ and it handles high performance games very well. I don't play much on mobile but the little i do play will benefit from this, not to much improvements to other tasks as well. Hopefully we get this in high end Samsung phones this fall!

tkscz

Think you quoted the wrong post.

Point I was making their was the current switch was obsolete on release and current mobile computers run on iGPUs only.

Not sure what Sony porting games to mobile phones have to do with that post.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
None of this means the Switch will be obsolete. Maybe the current one sure, but Nintendo does continue to put out new hardware, and they will continue to respond if they are properly challenged.

Think about it. You're kinda making the same argument here that I was making. In response to me saying software is important, you are claiming that the strength of these mobile platforms will be a result of MS and Sony making mobile games. So you agree that software is king then? Arguing that because RDNA2 can come to mobile, now mobile will win is the same thinking that sinks the Xbox division. Let's make the most powerful hardware on the market, and that will be enough.

But it doesn't work, and never has. People want the software the hardware runs, the people who are into the hardware for "power" reasons are a very small, unimportant, portion of the market.

Unless things change, mobile is going to continue to be squelched by Google and Apple. They control everything and as a result mobile gaming is going to stay pretty weak IMO. They simply take too much money, and mobile is heavily incentivized towards free to play setups, not the kinds of games PS thrives on. Of course it's smart for Sony and MS to try and expand into mobile, it's a huge market.

However this notion that all of a sudden "Nintendo is doomed" because competitors are entering an ancillary market that hasn't affected them to this day, seems odd to me. When I was a teen I worked at Software Etc. as my first job (which became GameStop), and even then people loved to say "Nintendo is in trouble, they are going to be out of business." They aren't going anywhere for a long time. People don't give two :lollipop_poop: about RDNA2 in mobile devices. We are at a point where graphics are "good enough" to deliver basically any kind of fun we want, and the cartoony Nintendo style is a timeless one. They just need to keep delivering the software people want, and they will continue to succeed.

Reality is mobile gaming is the biggest now, much bigger than all consoles and PC gaming combined. Yes, they're shit, but when Sony starts making some good games there, and now Tencent with Xbox Studios wanna make some as well, you should be sure that Nintendo's recycled Mario Life sim/racing/fighting/dating reskins won't cut it in the long run.

Exynos chips are so shit, reason why I don't get Samsung phones because outside of US/Asia, we get the worst version, battery barely lasts, hopefully this is a good step forward.

ARM has released new cores that Samsung will utilize with its Exynos on top of AMD RDNA 2 GPU next year. I think the performance is going to drastically increase. I am not tech savy, perhaps this video will help explain better:

I think Android Based smartphones for 2022 are going to have massive upgrades:

Android 12
200 MP Back Camera, Bigger Camera Sensor, Under the screen front camera (getting rid of the punch hole?)
Better OLED Display with higher nits and higher PPI and Refresh Rate
New ARM CPU designs (with Samsung RDNA 2 GPU)
SD Express 8.0 MicroSD Cards?
New type of battery?
Wifi6E + 5G

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

ARM has released new cores that Samsung will utilize with its Exynos on top of AMD RDNA 2 GPU next year. I think the performance is going to drastically increase. I am not tech savy, perhaps this video will help explain better:

Think its more battery life and performance overall with the chip overheating constantly compared to SD888

Will keep an eye out as I want to move away from apple.

EDIT: Sorry forgot to say thanks Kazekage1981 Kazekage1981 for the video

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Awkward, laggy touch controls will never replace buttons for gaming, other than the 3 or 4 genres that use point & click controls.

It's still too early for that, indeed, but maybe a decade from now it might happen. That doesn't mean you'll get Nintendo's exclusives though.

Arioco

I think Android Based smartphones for 2022 are going to have massive upgrades:

Android 12
200 MP Back Camera, Bigger Camera Sensor, Under the screen front camera (getting rid of the punch hole?)
Better OLED Display with higher nits and higher PPI and Refresh Rate
New ARM CPU designs (with Samsung RDNA 2 GPU)
SD Express 8.0 MicroSD Cards?
New type of battery?
Wifi6E + 5G

There are already a few phones with Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 in the wild (which also uses all those new ARM cores) and performance, throttling and power consumption have been very disappointing so far.

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Good luck to developers who will spend time to implement worst form of RT for one mobile chip.
They've already struggling with next-gen console's RT performance. Fuck even big GPU's are struggling without DLSS.

Trimesh

Banned
Exynos chips are so shit, reason why I don't get Samsung phones because outside of US/Asia, we get the worst version, battery barely lasts, hopefully this is a good step forward.

Samsung generally aren't that great at high density logic. Their processes are heavily focused on their in-house production and that's mostly large arrays like Flash and DRAM, so they have a strong incentive to optimize their processes for low static leakage - when you have a heavily clock and power gated part like DRAM, very little of it is powered up and clocked at any given moment, so you get better overall performance by trading off low static leakage for slightly higher dynamic leakage.

This becomes a problem when you are fabricating devices with lots of logic (like CPUs and GPUs) though - you quickly hit the point where the extra leakage on the parts that are being clocked eats up all your power savings and then some.

ethomaz

Banned
Sadly unless things changed Exynos is a really bad chip.

The Snapdragon version of the Samsung phones runs faster, cooler and draw less battery than the Exynos versions.

Here in Brasil Samsung abuse launching the Exynos version first that are called bomba and after some months give us the better Snapdragon release (see S20FE release).

Plantoid

Sadly unless things changed Exynos is a really bad chip.

The Snapdragon version of the Samsung phones runs faster, cooler and draw less battery than the Exynos versions.

Here in Brasil Samsung abuse launching the Exynos version first that are called bomba and after some months give us the better Snapdragon release (see S20FE release).
Funny cause I got a s20fe w/ snapdragon and I know it's true

But everything changes, more competition is always better

the new exynos as 200% increase in NPU ?! Maybe they are trying to compete with Googles Tensa Core? Seems close to the new snap dragon but no cigar. I think they will finally make it right in 2023. We will see the performance when it comes out.

it would be interesting to see if AMD and NVIDIA make ARM based CPU/GPU's for consumer market for tablets/smartphones, i do think ARM is gaining momentum.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Are there mobile games that would even take advantage of such tech?

I thought the point of mobile gaming was very quick pick up and play?

RT on any of the RDNA2 chips isn't something I would advertise with, much less a very small mobile chip.

Last edited:
This will eventually make the Switch and any handheld console obsolete.
I think that what made the Switch succeed is the games library, which has become more of a liability for the phones over the years (this got worse, games like Bioshock used to be ported to phones and it seemed like serious gaming on phones would happen).

Instead we got tons of f2p games on PC/consoles, these games influenced the consoles market and nobody ports AAA games to phones anymore.

Things went in the other direction 😭.... Which leaves a market for an actual quality portable gaming device, and the Vita may not have needed to die, if Sony had put the effort it could have worked.

Top Bottom