• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD Pricing

Yes, ALL PCIE 4.0 SSDs will work with the PS5 I/O. There isnt even a speed limit but 5.5 GBps or above is recommended by Sony. This is a 7.0 GBps SSD so very popular.

This is in addition to the onboard storage. You cannot replace the onboard storage since its soldered on the mobo.
Makes me wonder what would happen if the on-board SSD ever fails. Can’t install the OS to the expanded storage.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Yes, ALL PCIE 4.0 SSDs will work with the PS5 I/O. There isnt even a speed limit but 5.5 GBps or above is recommended by Sony. This is a 7.0 GBps SSD so very popular.

This is in addition to the onboard storage. You cannot replace the onboard storage since its soldered on the mobo.

Holy hell. Just picked one up. I was stunned by how quickly I had to start choosing what was going to sit on my PS5.
Now I have gigabit internet I don't need a storage upgrade.

I have had gigabit internet for awhile and even wired downloading isn't worth less than the cost of just having more space. And these games are only going to get bigger.

saintjules

LuoAgok.jpg

The new custom 980 PRO M.2 NVMe 1.3c SSD is designed to meet the PlayStation 5's size and speed requirements, featuring a built-in heat sink for proper heat dissipation and cooling under load. The 980 PRO's high-end V-NAND flash memory ensures enthusiast-level performance alongside Samsung's proprietary Elpis memory controller to deliver up to 7GB/sec read speeds and 5.1GB/sec write speeds over PCIe Gen4 x4.

The Samsung 980 PRO is a high-end drive that will ensure ultra-fast loading in PlayStation 5 optimized titles (as well as increased speeds in PS4 games) and speedy data transfers. The 980 PRO received a 98% rating at TweakTown, and was the hailed as best-performing flash-based consumer product as of September 2020.

The new PS5-ready 980 PRO with Heatsink drive will be available October 29, 2021 and comes in two capacities: 1TB ($249.99) and 2TB ($449.99)

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
$250? A 980 Pro without a heatsink is $190. What's a heatsink cost? $15?
Here in Amazon.de you can get the 980 Pro 1tb for 150 euro's or 2tb for 329 euro's. A good Heatsink cost maybe like what 10 euro? They are crazy for asking that much just for a extra heatsink.

lils

something tells me console users aren't going to spend $250-450 on a top of the range SSD.

also, if they were, the regular 980 pro 2tb is $350... just use that one. no ssd i've used has ever cared much about temps anyway

STARSBarry

Gold Member
HrrxX0K.jpg
Got myself a 980 Pro 1TB for £130 (after a few weeks delay from amazon) I made the choice after getting a 2 TB for my PC and it preforming well...

Bought myself some cheapo £12 heat sink which looks identical to the one Sony used in there instalation video, easy to install and no fuss at all getting it working.

Drive works well, I swear ratchet and clank actually runs a little smoother than when I played it off the PS5 drive, like it's missing that half second stutter when you switch dimensions. My only gripe is I can't choose which drive to install to on a per game basis when I download from the store, I have to select games to move (which only takes about a minute thankfully even with 100GB titles like Final Fantasy 7 remake) from the storage menu.

Not so sure if I would pay £50+ for an included heatsink when I can buy one for less than half the price and install it easily enough, although if your not tech savvy then...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
They are cheaper and better NVME's available.

This drive doesn't perform that well in the PS5.

The only time this is true is when reviewers have been putting in the 250GB version and reviewing based on that, which more than a few have (its the cheapest afterall). It has half the sequential write speed of the other models and honestly is just not in the same class. Scumy move for Samsung to call it a 980 Pro but there we go.

Unless America is wildly different I can only find similar priced drives or more expensive in the same class like the 530 Firecuda or Rocket plus, the WD black are slower and cost around the same as well. Are you including QLC Nand in these cheaper drives? Because I don't think I'd be taking that over a TLC drive like the 980 Pro any day of the week.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
STARSBarry STARSBarry

The WD black is faster than the Samsung. Don't know what you are talking about.

Just watch a few comparison videos.

Had a look and they all seem to be done before the 980 pro's firmware fix to write cache. Seems like you just get which ever is the cheaper of the two, both TLC Nand and both excellent numbers and the WD outside a few oddballs does seem to be able to squeeze out a slightly higher number. Unsure where "preforms poorly on PS5" comes from though only thing I have to compare is the built in PS5 SSD and it's at worst preforming identical.

However I'm struggling to find other makes that are both cheaper and preform better than the 980 Pro.

Last edited:
Had a look and they all seem to be done before the 980 pro's firmware fix to write cache. Seems like you just get which ever is the cheaper of the two, both TLC Nand and both excellent numbers and the WD outside a few oddballs does seem to be able to squeeze out a slightly higher number. Unsure where "preforms poorly on PS5" comes from though only thing I have to compare is the built in PS5 SSD and it's at worst preforming identical.

However I'm struggling to find other makes that are both cheaper and preform better than the 980 Pro.
Is there a newer firmware out for the 980 Pro that's newer than April? I've got the latest firmware and it only gets 5,700mb/sec in the format benchmark.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Firmware fix write cache doesn't improve the read speed of the drive.

Guess why It's called write cache.🥱🤦‍♂️

People had problems with the drive outside the original low write speed? I thought it was still one of a handful to achieve speeds the PS5 recommends in read speed, a majority of the others that do are more expensive. Isent it scoring only 200-300mb/s lower than the WD? Are we at the level when this makes it a "poor preformer"?

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Worst performing drive is the Samsung in this comparison video:

Based on his site

He's using a 980 Pro 250GB which is up to 6400MB sequential read vs the 1TB 7000MB...

As I said people keep testing the 250GB and drawing conclusions from that despite it's much slower write speed and slower read speed.

Last edited:
Based on his site

He's using a 980 Pro 250GB which is up to 6400MB sequential read vs the 1TB 7000MB...

As I said people keep testing the 250GB and drawing conclusions from that despite it's much slower write speed and slower read speed.
I've seen people get consistently faster speeds from the 250GB version vs the 1 or 2TB versions. My 2TB drive gets about 5,700MB/sec which is way below 7,000MB/sec

Chiggs

I think the XPG Gammix S70 is a worse option than the 980 Pro, at least according to my admittedly limited tests.
  • XPG 2TB PS5 test: 6258 read
  • 980 Pro 2TB test: 6641 read

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I've seen people get consistently faster speeds from the 250GB version vs the 1 or 2TB versions. My 2TB drive gets about 5,700MB/sec which is way below 7,000MB/sec

Now that is intresting, the issue with the 980 Pro is how widely preformance varies from the different capacity models. If the new 1tb & 2tb drives with heatsinks are still getting people these lower numbers Samsung will have a lawsuit on it's ass.... otherwise there going to have to be different again. I doubt it's just thermal throttling.

My 1TB PS5 with a heatsink got about 6600 , is there away to run these again without wiping the drive?

Last edited:
My 1TB PS5 with a heatsink got about 6600 , is there away to run these again without wiping the drive?
Sadly, no.

Also, the speed test changes each time you run it. You could get 6,600 now and then 5,500 the next time. It's all over the place it seems.

However, with the Western Digital, it consistently gets high speeds. No idea why.

Kind of expected (if it gets approved by Sony), I'm waiting for a reasonably priced 1TB drive, non-propriety means prices should drop faster.
We still don't have that in pc land. Even old style sata ssd don't have reasonable $50-60 1tb drives. Yet we a sata 2tb hd can be had for $25-30. 1tb ssd start at low end $90 and up.

Top Bottom