• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD Pricing

CamHostage

Really? If true that's not bad. I thought Xbox proprietary was supposed to be so much MORE expensive???

If the rumored price is true, it is, as far as price/performance ratio goes; it is not, in terms of just price/quantity.

These Samsung cards are new-to-market levels of speed for SSDs (which unfortunately is the minimum of what PS5 will support) and so it comes at a premium cost right now, whereas if you were to shop for M.2 cards in the range that meets the Xbox SX requirements, they would already be cheaper (but Xbox does not have a standard M.2 card slot, it only takes its own proprietary drives.) So at launch, PS5 expansion options will be more per GB than the Xbox option; over time that difference will whittle down as Pro-spec M.2s increase in competition and come down in price, while proprietary hardware tends to stick at MSRP for longer.

It'll be interesting to see if Microsoft can keep pace when the market starts to shuffle the prices down, and/or will that happen fast enough for the PS5's solution to be 'more affordable'? (Or I wonder how long if ever it will be until somebody rigs an "adapter" for off-the-shelf M.2s to plug into the Xbox card slot to bypass the problem the way SD adapters skirted around the PSP's Memory Stick Duo slot?) And while paying for bleeding-edge cards comes with the "upside" of elite-level speeds, will we see games that actually benefit from that speed or is the Xbox SX's level of speed "enough" for games & game engines this gen?

It's a hard launch for those who are looking for a fully-stocked system right off the bat, but as somebody else already said, it's not even year one yet, both consoles have a long road ahead...

Last edited:

New SSD will work for PS5 Speed / 5.5 GB/s
Samsung 980 Pro 512 GB $149 (6.9GB/s and 5GB/s)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB $229 (7GB/s and 5GB/s)

mKCf6TO.png

This isnt bad. Consider this. The xbox SSD 1tb is around 200 bucks....
So is this one but its twice the speed of the XBOX drive and as others come out you can choose those instead.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
The most important thing is that the PCIE 4 SSD drive for the PS4 is non proprietary, it's expensive now because only the highest performing drives are going to be compatible, but prices will go down as time goes by since this is a competitive market with many players.

Pedro Motta

The will be a lot more drives in the market, a lot more competition, SSD manufacures will sell a lot more drives because of consoles, and prices will drop very fast.

PhoenixTank

TLC on the pro is disappointing. Will stick with my 970 pro.
Definitely, yeah. It is however a good amount cheaper.
I imagine you know this but I looked it up for myself & others: $629 RRP for the 1TB 970 Pro, but currently selling for $313 on Newegg.
I haven't looked at relative endurances yet, but I assume there is a rather large gap?

What does this leave in the EVO line? QLC? They better make that cheap as chips, because the QVO/QLC line has been lacklustre in price & performance.

Banned

mKCf6TO.png

uhm, I'm pretty sure you will need way faster SSDs than this to work in the PS5. didn't they say you'd need a 8GB/s SSD in order to compensate for the fact that it has less access levels than the internal one?

Last edited:

Sethbacca

Wow, that leaked $220 price for the Xbox memory card, doesn't seem that fake all of a sudden as I assume it was.

I though it would be around the $150 to $180, but $230 is insane that's like half the freaking systems cost and in the PS5DE case more than half. That is bonkers.

Thing is the non proprietary drives will get cheaper quickly. The proprietary ones will always be more expensive.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Compared to when the Sabrent 4th gen drives came out this is very reasonable imo. I figured they would be HELLA over priced but ~$229 is great release MSRP.

I understand folks who don't usually purchase pc parts balking at these prices. The motherboard to use gen 4 drive costs $300 - $700. That doesn't include the other things you need to actually take advantage of the performance either.
Planning on grabbing a few for some of the office PC's when they release. Hopefully I can use one of the old gen4 Sabrent/Aorus net drives for Ps5...if not will plonk one of these in there.

Last edited:

Blond

Banned

Samsung flash has always carried a premium over the competition, often selling at prices for higher drives with lower capacity. Good example, most 1tb SSDs come in at 100-110 bucks (I even saw one on sale for 85 bucks this morning) Samsung you literally only get 512 at that price on sale and 1tbs go in at 130-150.

Give it six months to a year for other OEMs to catch up and I’m sure we’ll be getting these at normal pricing.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
That's a good price considering the speed.

But I'd wait for Sony either way to really validate these.. M2 drives can be slightly different sizes and Cerny implied that could be an issue (meaning physically it might not fit.)

truth411

The most important thing is that the PCIE 4 SSD drive for the PS4 is non proprietary, it's expensive now because only the highest performing drives are going to be compatible, but prices will go down as time goes by since this is a competitive market with many players.
Exactly, prices will really come down when PCIE 5.0 NVMe M.2 drives come out probably next year.

Edit: Or probably 2022, while XSX Proprietary drive will forever be expensive.
Wasn't the leak $219 for the 1TB?

Last edited:
SMH it was around the same price for a 1TB 2.5 HDD back then
Yeah, SMH.

July 3rd 2013
AUnr5ra.png

gQFNIbK.png

1TB HDDs did not cost what you think they cost, even that SSHD from Seagate was only 109 bucks, they're far away from what you are paying now for that NVME SSD. Upgrading that 500GB HDD in the launch PS4 was much cheaper and most people would've grabbed an external anyways which got them whopping 4TB WD MyBook for 159 bucks according to this review from October 2013.

You are wrong.

onQ123

Yeah, SMH.

July 3rd 2013
AUnr5ra.png

gQFNIbK.png

1TB HDDs did not cost what you think they cost, even that SSHD from Seagate was only 109 bucks, they're far away from what you are paying now for that NVME SSD. Upgrading that 500GB HDD in the launch PS4 was much cheaper and most people would've grabbed an external anyways which got them whopping 4TB WD MyBook for 159 bucks according to this review from October 2013.

You are wrong.

edit: never mind wrong size but they was in the same price range as SSDs are now PS5 just need faster ssds but we are almost in the same boat as before

Last edited:
9.5mm drives don't fit PS4
I swear to god, you are trolling at this point. Must be hard for you to admit that you're wrong.

WD Blue Slim, 2.5" 7mm Review from July 30th 2013
Pricing of the WD Slim in the 1TB capacity is set at $119.99 at the time of writing.

1TB HDDs for your PS4 did not cost $230.

onQ123

I swear to god, you are trolling at this point. Must be hard for you to admit that you're wrong.

WD Blue Slim, 2.5" 7mm Review from July 30th 2013

1TB HDDs for your PS4 did not cost $230.

I said that SSDs are in the same range as 2.5" HDD was in 2013 but PS5 use faster SSDs . You're using the price of the Samsung SSD but there will be other pcie 4 ssds this one is $159 but it's just under 5GB/s once more devices release that use pcie4 the prices will go down.

Tripolygon

Banned
uhm, I'm pretty sure you will need way faster SSDs than this to work in the PS5. didn't they say you'd need a 8GB/s SSD in order to compensate for the fact that it has less access levels than the internal one?
No they didn't say that. Where did 8GB/s even come from?

What Mark Cerny said was that;

"and so the m.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach"

I can understand if people claim 7GB/s because he did have that slide up that showed the full capability of 4x PCIE 4.0 drive. He never actually said that you need 7GB/s, what he said was any SSD you add "has to be at least as fast as ours" plus "a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from" having to arbitrate the extra priority level.
UANLg1h.jpg

I think people are misinterpreting what he said to mean you need at least 7GB/s.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Pricing seems about right.

I'll pick up a 1TB or two once the first price drop inevitably happens early next year.

Banned
No they didn't say that. Where did 8GB/s even come from?

What Mark Cerny said was that;

"and so the m.2 drive needs a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from the different approach"

I can understand if people claim 7GB/s because he did have that slide up that showed the full capability of 4x PCIE 4.0 drive. He never actually said that you need 7GB/s, what he said was any SSD you add "has to be at least as fast as ours" plus "a little extra speed to take care of issues arising from" having to arbitrate the extra priority level.
UANLg1h.jpg

I think people are misinterpreting what he said to mean you need at least 7GB/s.

it will still be interesting to see which drives will be "certified" for the PS5 and how much these will cost in the end.

I could actually see some vendors upping prices because they know they are the only option for people to upgrade their storage on a PS5

truth411

Pricing seems about right.

I'll pick up a 1TB or two once the first price drop inevitably happens early next year.
Might be a little longer but yeah I had the same idea.
Once more companies come out with NVMe drives that saturates PCIE 4.0, theres going to be sales.

Open Market > Proprietary

truth411

it will still be interesting to see which drives will be "certified" for the PS5 and how much these will cost in the end.

I could actually see some vendors upping prices because they know they are the only option for people to upgrade their storage on a PS5
It doesn't work that way. PCIE 4.0 NVMe M.2 is an industry standard. Prices/Sales will come Down to compete for business/sales.

Open Market > Proprietary

Reallink

mKCf6TO.png

It's not even meaningfully outperforming the Adata SX8200 in those benches, which is ~$100 per Terabyte when it goes on sales (last Black Friday they were $80/Terabyte).

Last edited:

Marlenus

Definitely, yeah. It is however a good amount cheaper.
I imagine you know this but I looked it up for myself & others: $629 RRP for the 1TB 970 Pro, but currently selling for $313 on Newegg.
I haven't looked at relative endurances yet, but I assume there is a rather large gap?

What does this leave in the EVO line? QLC? They better make that cheap as chips, because the QVO/QLC line has been lacklustre in price & performance.

No idea what they will do for the EVO. Anandtech had the same question.

teezzy

Banned
Still waiting for something my 1tb Samsung 860 M.2 cant do. 8m not entirely convinced by these developmental changes yet.

If I need another SSD (I don't), I guess this is the way to go.

ghairat

This is reasonable. Prices will hopefully go down. Would be cool to use the USB C port on the PS5 to use some kind of external adapter for the ssd. Will that work though?

jigglet

Banned
First real comment in the entire thread. These kids crying at these prices when they have no idea that they're looking at a downgraded generation of memory to cut costs. TLC is shit and these are going to be mediocre drives. I'd probably choose a 970 Pro too if I was buying today.

I wouldn't even bother until PCIe 4.0 is mainstream anyway. I see no reason to upgrade for at least a few years.

And yes the discussion in this thread is embarassing. These prices are no different from when each new gen of NVMe hits, and when the first mass market SSD's first hit like 15 years ago. These kids are comparing them to massively subsidised console prices and getting themselves confused. FFS.

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

First real comment in the entire thread. These kids crying at these prices when they have no idea that they're looking at a downgraded generation of memory to cut costs. TLC is shit and these are going to be mediocre drives. I'd probably choose a 970 Pro too if I was buying today.
Yes and no to the quality. AT pointed out that the big SLC cache on this will outperform MLC of a 970 Pro until it is exhausted, but yes after that the remaining TLC will fall short of MLC. I don't disagree with the idea of buying a 970 Pro for only a little more money, though it depends on workload. This change particularly sucks for anyone with heavy drive writes.

ZywyPL

Banned

Well, no one is crying about lack of SLC-based drives nowadays, those would still cost a fortune even today, MLCs are now supposedly "way more then enough", if not the best tech out there, while I remember well how people used to shit on them not so long ago, also but now they are also slowly but surely becoming a thing of the past, being pushed out by TLC and as of recently QLC, the drives are getting faster and faster while at the same time being cheaper and cheaper, and that's what ultimately matters to the average consumers, who replace their drives every 5-10 years anyway. Because as always, it's the consumers who determine the market.

Zoro7

Banned
Ive no need to update. Don't even fill up a 500gb hd. As long as you don't play COD you'll be fine.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
$229 US for a 1TB compatible PS5 drive, and that Segate 1tb Xbox stick is what? Roughly the same?

So around $300 CDN for an extra 1TB for either system.

Yikes.

And in 2014 I got a 3 TB external Seagate HDD for $110 CDN (around $80 US).

jimbojim

Banned
$229 US for a 1TB compatible PS5 drive, and that Segate 1tb Xbox stick is what? Roughly the same?

Yeah, but speed on XSX is few times less and Pro 980 isn't compatible with XSX. And those mainstream Nvme drives prices will go down when Sabrent, Kingston, Crucial announced theirs. Sabrent are cheaper than Samsungs and they have faster SSD i think.

Top Bottom