• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD Pricing

I wonder if an extra drive affects the power budget at all on the PS5. It obviously needs to draw more power for an extra drive, so much that needs clarifying for me as I look forward to my preorder and cyberpunk
Sony did a big oopsie , If the at most 10w of the SSD aren't factored into the power budget. What I'm more curious about is cooling. NVME drives get incredibly hot and since you can't use one with a heatsink, you'll be left with whatever Sony has put into the PS5.

Wanna see the price of the 2TB.

So I can cynically laugh and close my laptop.
I can already tell you that it won't cost more than 400, but also not less than 350. 2TB NVME drives are usually in that range.

Orky

Banned
Wow, that leaked $220 price for the Xbox memory card, doesn't seem that fake all of a sudden as I assume it was.

I though it would be around the $150 to $180, but $230 is insane that's like half the freaking systems cost and in the PS5DE case more than half. That is bonkers.

the Xbox ssd Memory Card is supposed to be £159, which is perfectly fine

GustavoLT

you can keep up to 10 AAA games installed at same time... there´s no need to buy this expensive proprietary memory card!

ZywyPL

Banned
Why not just get an External SSD and shuffle games back and forth? I expect that to be the best solution for both consoles.

What kind of drive? HDD? Here's the thing - once you go SSD, you'll never go back. Copying 50-150GB games at a whooping 100MB/s is a torture no one wants to experience, those few saved bucks just aren't worth it. External SSD? Why bother, if you can put such drive directly into the PS5 without shuffling the games between internal/external drives, for the same (if not less) cost as an external SSD?

But honestly, the consoles didn't even launch, the games haven't launch, and people are already looking after storage expansions, c'mon guys, give those consoles at least a year to see how the situation plays out, maybe most of you won't even reed more than space than the internal drives provide.

DJT123

Hopefully there's new compression techniques or something next gen because if games ever reach 200GB plus it will be unsustainable.

you can keep up to 10 AAA games installed at same time... there´s no need to buy this expensive proprietary memory card!
"10 AAA games"
VMkmMnj.gif

More like 4-5 have you seen CoDMW 2020's size?

Sony uses slower memory chips with 12 channels instead of fast chips on 8 channels.

The PS5's SSD is not comparable to these NVME drives in terms of BOM.

Akuji

the Pro models were always expensive, console isnt out yet, hold off 1 year with the integrated SSD and u probably will get a 2TB SSD for around 200-250€/$
Theres a hefty premium for being the first ( or one of the first ) with that fast storage.
If u gotta upgrade from the 8xxgb the PS5 comes with, i would suggest to go for 2TB minimum.
Even if u dont need it anymore on the PS5 when PS6 launches, it will still make a decent drive in your computer when PS6 comes around.

ZywyPL

Banned
If u gotta upgrade from the 8xxgb the PS5 comes with, i would suggest to go for 2TB minimum.

Depends if you'll be forced to replace the internal SSD or the PS5 will have a secondary bay for additional drive, if the latter, which I believe will be the case, I think Sony will allow to use their drive elsewhere, and the memory chips will be soldered onto the motherboard, then adding just 1TB will give you almost 2TB of total space anyway.

About the same prices we had to pay for new harddrives when PS4 was released
What? You could've gotten a 4TB drive for 200 bucks in 2013 as GB prices were 5 cents per GB. 1TB drives were around 60 bucks.

Needlecrash

Given the total cost of ownership for PS Plus, SSD costs and the system, not too mention accessories, I'm looking at least a stack for costs. Damn.

slade

What kind of drive? HDD?

No.

External SSD? Why bother, if you can put such drive directly into the PS5 without shuffling the games between internal/external drives, for the same (if not less) cost as an external SSD?

What costs more, an internal SSD, let's say 2TB's, which will replace the SSD in your system meaning you give up the proprietary SSD or a supplement to said drive, say a 1TB external SSD. The supplementary drive will cost less in just about every scenario. You will get to keep the same storage space with the one downside being you have to move games back and forth. Still better then downloading them over and over.

onQ123

What? You could've gotten a 4TB drive for 200 bucks in 2013 as GB prices were 5 cents per GB. 1TB drives were around 60 bucks.

You could not get a 4TB 2.5 drive that fit in the PS4 for $200 in 2013

Greeno

Does anybody know where does the SSD plug into the PS5? Is it similar to the Xbox? A memory card kind of thing?

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
What costs more, an internal SSD, let's say 2TB's, which will replace the SSD in your system meaning you give up the proprietary SSD or a supplement to said drive, say a 1TB external SSD. The supplementary drive will cost less in just about every scenario. You will get to keep the same storage space with the one downside being you have to move games back and forth. Still better then downloading them over and over.

Fair point, although it's still undetermined whether PS5 will have a replaceable internal drive or an additional M.2 bay. I firmly believe in the latter, but I guess we will get to know really soon, on the launch day at latest.

slade

Fair point, although it's still undetermined whether PS5 will have a replaceable internal drive or an additional M.2 bay. I firmly believe in the latter, but I guess we will get to know really soon, on the launch day at latest.

The system does look large enough to support another internal SSD. I hope that happens.

Hostile_18

Banned
Really? If true that's not bad. I thought Xbox proprietary was supposed to be so much MORE expensive???

That is a decent price. X-Box dosnt require such a high read/write speed so that keeps the price down despite the propriety nature.

As for those PS5 price. Half the cost of the console for 1tb. Seems pretty shit. I appreciate its pushing the boundaries of tech but I really wanted 2tb extra. It looks like people could get a Series X with 1tb lower speed SSD for the price of a PS5 2TB expansion. Also what's with the sizes I thought they couldnt do round numbers like that? If I buy a 1tb will everything over 825gb be locked out? 🤔

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Damn. That's expensive but not surprising.

Luckily for me, PlayStation 5 is for exclusives only and once each game is completed, it gets uninstalled and traded in. Same goes for disc based purchases on Xbox. Even digital purchases, once done, uninstalled.

Consumer

anyone know the maximum storage capacity that will work with PS5? Like, the largest internal SSD that'll be available

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Series X same price as weaker console.
PS5 1st party games $70ea plus tax,
Xbox 1st party games day 1 on Game Pass for $10-$15 mo.
Xbox proprietary card $150
PS5 off the shelf 1TB card $220
All of the $7billion worth of Zenimax developers games on Xbox/PC

So damn glad I got a Series X coming

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Pre-orders for October 12 release.

Last edited:
Do we know when the Xbox one is available to buy? I feel like the Sony drive will be big enough for me as it will just be the odd exclusive, but I’ll be using Series X for most stuff and want to upgrade that ASAP? Plus I think the plug-in thing looks cool lol

Top Bottom