• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung 980 Pro M.2 NVMe SSD Pricing

New SSD will work for PS5 Speed / 5.5 GB/s
Samsung 980 Pro 512 GB $149 (6.9GB/s and 5GB/s)
Samsung 980 Pro 1TB $229 (7GB/s and 5GB/s)

mKCf6TO.png

Last edited:

tryDEATH

Wow, that leaked $220 price for the Xbox memory card, doesn't seem that fake all of a sudden as I assume it was.

I though it would be around the $150 to $180, but $230 is insane that's like half the freaking systems cost and in the PS5DE case more than half. That is bonkers.

RedVIper

Banned
Does anyone know if it will be possible to use a regular hard drive to play PS5 games or if you're forced to use SSD?

Theres tons of games that aren't going to benefit much from SSD, having an HD to put those games in could save you quite some money.

Last edited:

fermcr

Yep, these NVMe SSD drives that Sony and Microsoft are using, cost a bundle.

I'll hold on to my normal SATA SSD's for a couple more years.

Last edited:

Rockman33

You can’t add it on can you? You have to replace the current one in it? If that’s the case you’d need at least a 2tb

Max_Po

Banned
One store in the UK has it listed for 160 GBP which is a little over 200 bucks.

Still stupid to buy these when you can get a external USB drive and copy games from it to the internal drive at a fraction of the cost.

aren't these drives necessary for next gen games ?

Mudit Shwarma

Neo Member
Does anyone know if it will be possible to use a regular hard drive to play PS5 games or if you're forced to use SSD?

Theres tons of games that aren't going to benefit much from SSD, having an HD to put those games in could save you quite some money.

The regular hard drive can run PS4 games straight off of a regular external hard drive. And you can have your PS5 games downloaded onto a regular external drive too but you cant run them that way.

I'm going to just use my massive standard external drive to hold my PS5 and PS4 games and I'm just going to transfer them between ssd and external as I need it for the next few years.

230 was to be expected as this is the price for any new "the fastest" SSD. Question is how long it will take for prices to come down to around 150, my guess is 2 years. If we are unlucky and we get another NAND production issue, this might take even longer.

ZywyPL

Banned
Damn, I remember when ~5 years years ago 1TB 400-500Mbps SATA drives were like 600-700$ , this thing right here is fucking dirty cheap for the performance it gives. And surprisingly there will be indeed a 2TB model as well, gonna keep my eye on it.

Didn't the 1TB Xbox SSD leak for $150?

It was 169£ if I remember correctly, so about 200$/€.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I wonder if an extra drive affects the power budget at all on the PS5. It obviously needs to draw more power for an extra drive, so much that needs clarifying for me as I look forward to my preorder and cyberpunk

ExKing

says GAF is a racist board but still wants to be a part of it...
We have all been fooled. Those consoles are so expensive when you take into consideration SDD extension and Next Gen games prices ( especially on PS5 ).

Top Bottom