• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sam and Max Save The World Remaster

Why a Group of Ex-Telltale Developers Are Bringing Back Sam & Max - VICE
Sam & Max are back—again. Yes, there was a virtual reality game announced a few months back, but this latest announcement is likely to land a big harder with fans. Several members of the original Sam & Max development team at Telltale Games have come together under a new roof to update, polish, and remaster the first season of Telltale's episodic series.
This update to Sam & Max Save the World, the game’s first season, is coming to both Switch and PC on December 2.

1604883508338-snm-savetheworld-comparison04.jpeg

Agent X

That's really cool. I originally played through this on Wii.

I'm actually rather surprised that they're not bringing this to the Sony and Microsoft game consoles, or to any of the streaming game services. As I've said before, this type of game is actually very well suited to streaming. Hopefully, this is something that they'll tackle after the initial batch of planned releases.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Not entirely sure they needed a remaster, but they're pretty good, so whatever.

Consequently, this update is more than just tweaked visuals and lighting. There are fundamentally new music cues, different camera angles, and altered timing for jokes. They recast the voice actor for Bosco, because it was a black character voiced by a white actor, a creative decision that didn't exactly sit right with the team when they decided to revisit it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
this could be pretty cool! love the og Sam & Max.

there will always be something special about those Steve Purcell drawings that appeared in so many Lucasfilm/Arts classic point and click adventures. i was replaying Monkey Island 1 + 2 recently, and the jump from the pixel art of 1 to the digitize comic style exaggerated art of Purcell in 2 was a huge leap forward. highly recommend going back and playing those classics to experience the og stuff.

Last edited:

Cravis

Consequently, this update is more than just tweaked visuals and lighting. There are fundamentally new music cues, different camera angles, and altered timing for jokes. They recast the voice actor for Bosco, because it was a black character voiced by a white actor, a creative decision that didn't exactly sit right with the team when they decided to revisit it.

CCSE64e.gif

I'm so sick of this PC sjw bullshit. Bosco is literally the funniest character in the games, everytime he would spew conspiracy theories I would die laughing. His voice is iconic. Also Bosco is not a real person. Who cares if the previous voice actor is white. All of this is so stupid.

YCoCg

I'll be honest, the first season sucked, so it being chosen for the remaster and as a way to re-introduce the series kinda puts a damper on it for me. There's a lot of stuff in the first season that's aged badly and feels janky, there's only so much better controls and graphics can fix up. Season 2 was a much better story and had some absolutely amazing puzzles, and then Season 3 "The Devil's Playhouse" was just the production at its best and had some really nice weird stuff (except for the second half of They Stole Max's Brain, the alternate Egyptian timeline stuff sucked as much as Season 1).

I dont think the first season sucked. HTR was a hard act to follow and it had a middling first episode but even within the span of that one season eventually TTG was really hitting a stride. Once they got to Abe Lincoln Must Die and Reality 2.0 they were off to the races. And even before that I thought the Toy Mafia episode was a lot of fun too. I still hum the song every now and then.

ShadowNate

I'm thinking the same.

But also it doesn't help that I wasn't really looking for a remastered version of those games.

I'm happy with my original copies on GOG.

Kazza

Being a huge Lucasarts point and click adventure fan, I tried the original way back but just couldn't get into it. I remember it feeling somewhat "open world"-ish and not being sure what I was supposed to do. Does it need to be approached differently from a regualr p&c game?

A lot of voice lines, such as

Episode 1

Original dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room of militant college students in no time, guaranteed.

New dialogue:

It's the latest in BoscoTech inovation, it'll clear out a room in no time, guaranteed.

Episode 2

Original dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like Skinheads, but ten times worse!

New dialogue:

Oh no, the Skinbodies are like those horrible hairless cats, but ten times worse!

They also changed the license plate of that car parked next to the DeSoto

Original:
DRG DLR (drug dealer)

New:
RMS DLR (arms dealer, I guess?)

And, in the other episodes, when you click on some objects, Max still has the old voice from episode 1 (unlike the original).

Episode 3

Original dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Sissypants, the cowardly French anarchist.

New dialogue:

You may call me, Jean-Francois Bonde-A-Part, the new wave French anarchist.

Which doesn't make sense, considering Sam & Max still call him "Sissypants"

Episode 4:

I didn't notice any change in the dialogue so far, but
the time estimate for the missile to hit Krypton does not show up (might be a bug).

Episode 5:

They changed one of Bob's line

Original dialogue:

Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New Dialogue:

Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Original dialogue:

It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New Dialogue:

It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

Original dialogue:

Half-elf, foo'!

New dialogue:

Half- elf, troll!

Episode 6:

Original dialogue:

Max: A hundred trillion?! You crazy, foo'!

Bosco: Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the foo'?

New dialogue:

Look man, all I know is, I keep making up the most ridiculous price I can think of, and you keep paying it! So I ask you, who's the crazy one?

Him saying "crazy" doesn't make sense, since Max called him a "fool".

They also removed a lot of dialogue, such as:

1-"Why the sex change"

Sam: Mind telling us how you came to be a woman?

Max: Did you use lasers, or just do it the old-fashioned way?

Bosco: Are you sassin' me? Boy I'll whup your behind so hard you won't be able to see straight!

Max: But I don't see out of my behind.

Bosco: You will after I get through with you!

2- "How's life as a woman?"

Sam: So how are those BoscoTech breasts holdin' up?

Bosco: Oh, these are all natural, honey.

Max: I'm not gonna lie, I like 'em bosomy.

Bosco: Oh, Max, you take after your father.

Max: Okay, you just crossed the line, pal!

Sam: Easy Max, theoretically, we have even more disturbed people to worry about right now.
Someone needs to be fired for this censorship - Steam Forum

This is fucking shameful.

rkofan87

Gold Member
So apparently they bended the knee to REEEE and censored half of the dialogue, removed all humour.
i was just about to post a psa about this i was looking to get this for the first time not anymore yes its only lines but thats why the game is fun not buying ths pc sjw bull shit.

Top Bottom