• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row V to bring back Protect Tha Pimp v2

Hopefully it won't release on current gen consoles, next gen would be better.

I could see them go down the borderlands 3 route with multiple planets seeing as you now have a spaceship(and an empire) at your disposal.

Silent Duck

The lamest game franchise of the 21st Century.

nKm7aUK.jpg

Thems fightin’ words.

Animagic

Banned
Finally.

Why did they waste time/money on Agents of Mayem or whatever it was called?
I enjoyed that game a lot. Felt like a G.I. Joe team saving the world. The characters felt totally disconnected from their environment/world in a way that was off putting. Other than that I liked it.

too bad we will never get a perfected sequel now

Stuart360

Loved Saints Row 1 (remember that infamous 360 demo disk that had a demo of Saints Row?, played that demo more than some launch games)
Liked Saints Row 2
Didnt like Saints Row 3
Hated Saints Row 4
DESPISED Agents of Meh-hem.

Dont know if the devs can pull off a good Saints Row anymore.

Ivory Blood

Saints Row 2 was a terrible PC port, but I'd still play it over the lame 3 and the shitty comedy that was 4 any day. Give us that crazy-sane GTA ripoff back, Volition.

Dada55000

I’m eager to see where they take the series next. They’ve been to space, even been to Hell. What could they possibly do that wouldn’t feel like a step backwards?
Making a game that doesn't have a terrible map would be a start. Steelport sucked and Hell even more so. In general not making a game that feels half baked and all over the place. SR4 was a linear tps bolted on top of SR3's open world to pad it with a bunch of filler, only you had a boring mishmash of Prototype and Crackdown powers, but only in the shitty overworld missions, not the real missions that insta disable them. It's like if you added Red Faction Armageddon on top of Red Faction Guerilla, only you have a jetpack in Guerilla. But you can't use it in the Armaggeddon missions.

Outside of lolwacky/some genuine witty fun/'meme' shit, SR3, let alone 4+Gat, hold up like crap. Going back to between 2 and 3 levels of wacky, while also being more thoughtfully made would be a massive step forward. Of course the Jim Sterling "lolol 4ft Purple Dildoooo" wacky retard memes crowd would complain. But they also did with Dead Rising, driving that into the grave when DR3 and then DR4 pandered to them hard with the joke weapon and self aware hyuk shit. (Among other things.)

daninthemix

Saints Row 2 was a terrible PC port, but I'd still play it over the lame 3 and the shitty comedy that was 4 any day. Give us that crazy-sane GTA ripoff back, Volition.
I agree, I'm only interested in 1 and 2. I suppose there's an outside chance they'll give us a better port of 2.

Stuart360

I agree, I'm only interested in 1 and 2. I suppose there's an outside chance they'll give us a better port of 2.
Yeah i dont know if Saints Row 2 underperformed or what, but they decided to take Saints Row 3 and 4 into a ridiculous direction for some reason.
Just take Saints Row back to its roots, a slightly less grounded version of GTA. Its not like the market is filled with GTA clones as it is (surprisingly).

daninthemix

Yeah i dont know if Saints Row 2 underperformed or what, but they decided to take Saints Row 3 and 4 into a ridiculous direction for some reason.
Just take Saints Row back to its roots, a slightly less grounded version of GTA. Its not like the market is filled with GTA clones as it is (surprisingly).
I felt that 2 was likeably silly, whereas 3 and 4 became full-on childish. But it's not just the tone I dislike, I felt 2 had the best gameplay and the best map out of all of them.

raduque

Loved Saints Row 1 (remember that infamous 360 demo disk that had a demo of Saints Row?, played that demo more than some launch games)
Liked Saints Row 2
Didnt like Saints Row 3
Hated Saints Row 4
DESPISED Agents of Meh-hem.

Dont know if the devs can pull off a good Saints Row anymore.

Saints Row was a cheap clone of GTA 3/VC/SA and wasn't very good or fun.
Saints Row 2 got better.

But when the series went its own way and started getting crazy with Saints Row 3 was when it really got good. Saints Row 4 was simply off the rails, over-the-top crazy and was excellent and hilarious. Gat Outta Hell was more of the same, just shorter and with a different setting.

Can't wait for a Saints Row V if it exists.

Did not play Agents of Mayhem.

Edit: Oh yeah, two words: Dubstep Gun

Last edited:

Dada55000

Saints Row was a cheap clone of GTA 3/VC/SA and wasn't very good or fun.
Saints Row 2 got better.

But when the series went its own way and started getting crazy with Saints Row 3 was when it really got good. Saints Row 4 was simply off the rails, over-the-top crazy and was excellent and hilarious. Gat Outta Hell was more of the same, just shorter and with a different setting.

Can't wait for a Saints Row V if it exists.

Did not play Agents of Mayhem.

Edit: Oh yeah, two words: Dubstep Gun
others can play the derisive game too pal, SR3&4 have a handful of genuinely funny stuff in them, and then mostly insufferable witty quippy garbage dialogue and humor that's a mishmash of Seth Macfarlane and Ghostbusters 2016

your zinger for why it's great is exactly why it's shit "bro, dubstep gun", it's a suck ass joke weapon that exists as word of mouth equivalent of clickbait headlines, dumb shit you say to your friends (or anybody on the internet) in 4 words or less to get a 'bruh' out of them
then when you play the game, the joke ceases to exist within 2 nanoseconds of firing it for the first time
buh memes tho

Boss Mog

I'll never forget SR2. So much fun to play in co-op. Once, I was playing it co-op online with a good friend of mine and for some reason one of us shot the other and then the other retaliated and all of a sudden this minigame started where one was in a helicopter and had to shoot the other who was in a sports car within the time limit and then it would switch roles. We ended up playing that minigame for 2 hours straight.

I also remember this rock song on Ultor FM that was about domestic violence, it bummed me out every time it came on but at the same time I kind of liked the song.

EDIT: I found the song

PS: Pimp cane shotgun was the shit, the walk was what made it amazing.

Last edited:

HE1NZ

Banned
I don't know why people hate SR4. It's the best written of them all - true camaraderie between the crew, great villain and lots of great parodies and jokes. It's completely self aware so it never feels cringy. Super fun to play too, great PC port, really fun customisation and abilities.
But I guess some people just can't forget that it was announced as a DLC originally (even though it has healthy 8-10 hours of story content alone).
They should have started doing SR5 immediately after 4, instead of wasting time on Agents of Mayhem or whatever that was called.

JimmyJones

Banned
Protect tha Pimp was amazing fun. I was pissed when they removed it from SR2! I remember being blown away when I first played the Saints Row 1 demo, it's a shame the direction they took after 2.

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
2 was the best in the series and I still pop it in and play it once in a while (can never get the PC mods working quite right or I’d play it there).

3 could have been amazing but didn’t they make most of the main missions just instances of the side missions? Like 2 had nearly all unique missions as the main story missions and the side stuff was side stuff. I feel like that’s what it was but it’s been a while.

4 was fun to play but fehhhhh.

Coflash

The problem with Saints Row (for me at least) was the excess of... itself

The first two games handled it pretty well, but the 3rd (and every game that followed) were just over the top 100% of the time. No real build up to anything, not much context given, no real pacing to make you enjoy the silly bits. It was just silly bits 100% of the time. It's too much. It doesn't give you time to appreciate when those things come up - it's always there. Like it was in a competition with itself to outdo the ridiculousness of every previous thing that happened.

Loved 3, but some truly incredible moments aside, everything since felt like an escalation in whackyness that tried and failed to capture that games magic.

The weird obsession with the charisma black hole that was Johnny Gat didnt help either.

We could definitely do with a game reveling in sex and cartoon violence while sticking two fingers up to the PC brigade now more than ever though, so I hope we get a sequel.

Top Bottom