• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row: Reboot Coming For The Crazy Free Roaming Series?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

According to reports from the well-known insider Okami, who in the past has shown to be a reliable source, Saints Row is about to return to the scene with a reboot chapter . Unfortunately, no further details are shared about the nature of the project, but the insider said the official announcement is expected to arrive later this month. Who knows, therefore, that GamesCom 2021 will not reveal the event designated to present this new episode of the free roaming series to the public.

kiphalfton

Guess there's no other way to come back from jumping the shark.

Weird considering SR3 got the remaster it got. I mean what's the point of doing so if another mainline game isn't coming out.

Kydd BlaZe

Loved the first. Got bored with the second. Absolutely LOVED the batshit insane direction they went with The Third. IV was crazy fun too. Hope they keep the crazy stuff. Kinda feel like that’s the niche that separates Saint’s from the more grounded GTA.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

Weird considering SR3 got the remaster it got. I mean what's the point of doing so if another mainline game isn't coming out.
Maybe it reboots the continuity by continuing from SR3's other ending.
I imagine that any "reboot" we get would be more of a soft reboot. This zany franchise can weave anything into its narrative.

cormack12

Gold Member
Being teased on their website now and by Geoff K for opening night of gamescom

All_Might

Being teased on their website now and by Geoff K for opening night of gamescom

Very much looking forward to this. I really hope Saints V is more like 1&2, I really enjoyed these.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Please just give me another one

I played shit out of the Third remaster and I simply love this sort of open sandbox games, which are fun

I want my freckle bitches restaurants
n7ifyoh3ev071.jpg

Soodanim

Gold Member
I enjoyed 4 as a superpower playground, but then it started CTDing. I decided I’d got my fill anyway, so I never played it again.

niilokin

saints row seemed cool for it's time but I'm afraid it's going to be too try hard and bro meme culture these days.

rofif

Banned
idk about that.
I love the first Saint's Row... but it's thanks to it's incredibly massive jank. The game is gold

I loved saints row 2 I loved the mix radio station,also liked towards the end they had billboards in the game with it’s always sunny adverts.

Unk Adams

Banned
Hopefully it's an actual Saints Row game about street gangs like the first two and not goofy games that try too hard to be quirky and ironic like the last two.

Unk Adams

Banned
I hope they straight up ignore the first two games. No one needs a basic GTA clone, but by making it like SR3 and especially SR4 they are separating themselves from GTA.
Except they weren't GTA clones at all and had an entirely different vibe and played differently from any of the GTA games. If anything is a clone it's Saints Row IV which is a Crackdown rip-off that tried way too hard to be funny.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Except they weren't GTA clones at all and had an entirely different vibe and played differently from any of the GTA games. If anything is a clone it's Saints Row IV which is a Crackdown rip-off that tried way too hard to be funny.
It's literally same thing as GTA. Straight up. The vibe is from San Andreas and the gameplay is hardly different. They changed direction because no one needs a game aping GTA when they can get real deal. With SR3 the series finally had character. Something to set it apart. There is no other open world game coming close to the bat shit insane shit that you get from SR4. This includes Crackdown. SR4 runs circles around Crackdown.

Unk Adams

Banned
It's literally same thing as GTA. Straight up. The vibe is from San Andreas and the gameplay is hardly different. They changed direction because no one needs a game aping GTA when they can get real deal. With SR3 the series finally had character. Something to set it apart. There is no other open world game coming close to the bat shit insane shit that you get from SR4. This includes Crackdown. SR4 runs circles around Crackdown.
They're only the "same" games in the sense that Call of Duty and Battlefield, Tekken and Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, etc. are the same. Saints Row 1 and 2 had a late 90's-2000's gangsta rap vibe set in a Chicago type of city and was strictly about street gangs. No GTA game had that vibe, especially GTA IV which was the first to compete directly with Saints Row. Play GTA IV and Saints Row 2 back to back and tell me that they're both the exact same games. The cars don't even handle the same. Maybe going in a new direction for Saints Row didn't work out so well for the series considering how many years it has been dormant at this point.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
They're only the "same" games in the sense that Call of Duty and Battlefield, Tekken and Dead or Alive, Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell, etc. are the same. Saints Row 1 and 2 had a late 90's-2000's gangsta rap vibe set in a Chicago type of city and was strictly about street gangs. No GTA game had that vibe, especially GTA IV which was the first to compete directly with Saints Row. Play GTA IV and Saints Row 2 back to back and tell me that they're both the exact same games. The cars don't even handle the same. Maybe going in a new direction for Saints Row didn't work out so well for the series considering how many years it has been dormant at this point.
Thats not how you define a clone. They don't need to be 100% the same games, they don't need to play exactly the same and they don't need to have the same story to be considered a clone. Speaking off, Saints Row 1 in particular is very reminiscent of San Andreas' control scheme and GTA: SA definitely had that "gangsta rap vibe", absolutely, so I really don't know what you are on about. They are set in different cities, okay, still very similar games. Both are inspired by movies like Menace 2 Society or Boyz in the Hood, both are open world games playing in a fictional city with a huge focus on gang life (even GTA 2 had a huge focus on gangs, nothing entirely new to GTA btw.), both have similar gameplay with similar mechanics... Many people back then even straight up said that Saints Row is the spiritual successor to San Andreas. ..

and even their logos are similar...
286px-Grand_Theft_Auto_San_Andreas_logo.svg.png

Could you sit there and play Saints Row and GTA back to back without telling me that one obviously inspired the other?

The series startet selling way more after the new direction too, which should be indicator enough that there are other reasons why the series went quiet. Saints Row was the game to play before GTA IV hit the stores. It wasn't before SR3 the series build its own identity.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldynes

The series started selling way more after the new direction too, which should be indicator enough that there are other reasons why the series went quiet. Saints Row was the game to play before GTA IV hit the stores. It wasn't before SR3 the series build its own identity.
This is how I remember the first two games, I was working at retail at that time, they even did a marketing stunt featuring the most popular French rapper at the time on the advertising for the 2nd game, even including his brand of clothing in the game, everyone was asking me "where's the game with Booba in it?" thinking it was his game like 50 cent did with his own games lol.

Anyways the first Saints Row was a thing because of being an early 360 game, GTA wasn't there for 2 more years and people wanted a game like that badly, it wasn't a bad game far from it, it's just not GTA and will always be regarded as a clone for the vast majority of players, you can't compete with GTA too much budget on the table and it's a juggernaut, so they did the right thing differentiating Saints Row the Third, the one key element that made Saints Row unique was the crass humor and stupid stuff you could do, it was a smart move considering GTA IV did become a much more serious game in it's tone compared to previous entries, so there was a place for Saints Row to grab.

Did I liked the 3rd or 4rth Saints Row ? well no ! It's not my thing it's way all over the place for me, BUT I know there's a crowd for this type of games, great for them.

Now forward to present days with this reboot rumor, GTA V is out since 2013 and 8 years is already far too long, everyone played it a some point, it's the 3rd most best selling game of all time behind Minecraft and Tetris, we moved on... and wait a minute... this situation looks familiar, deja-vu? Kinda like 2006 when the first Saints Row came out, I think they can do a more grounded reboot and attract some of the GTA crowd that way, while having the option to just go nuts with bat shit stuff like Saint's Row 3 and 4 later when the next GTA will arrive, also why not do both? Alternating each genre between releases?

Unk Adams

Banned
Thats not how you define a clone. They don't need to be 100% the same games, they don't need to play exactly the same and they don't need to have the same story to be considered a clone. Speaking off, Saints Row 1 in particular is very reminiscent of San Andreas' control scheme and GTA: SA definitely had that "gangsta rap vibe", absolutely, so I really don't know what you are on about. They are set in different cities, okay, still very similar games. Both are inspired by movies like Menace 2 Society or Boyz in the Hood, both are open world games playing in a fictional city with a huge focus on gang life (even GTA 2 had a huge focus on gangs, nothing entirely new to GTA btw.), both have similar gameplay with similar mechanics... Many people back then even straight up said that Saints Row is the spiritual successor to San Andreas. ..

and even their logos are similar...
286px-Grand_Theft_Auto_San_Andreas_logo.svg.png

Could you sit there and play Saints Row and GTA back to back without telling me that one obviously inspired the other?

The series startet selling way more after the new direction too, which should be indicator enough that there are other reasons why the series went quiet. Saints Row was the game to play before GTA IV hit the stores. It wasn't before SR3 the series build its own identity.
San Andreas had an early 90's gangsta rap vibe in California while Saints Row had a 2000's Chicago feeling. Completely different. It's like saying NFL Blitz and Madden have the same feeling because they're both NFL football games with similar mechanics and the same control schemes. Saints Row of course was inspired by GTA but everything is eventually inspired by something.

The first two Saints Row games were released earlier in the console generations when less people owned the consoles and digital purchases didn't take off on consoles yet. Saints Row 1 was an early 360 exclusive and 2 was competing the same year with GTA IV as well so I would say those factors affected sales more than people actually enjoying the new direction more. Even then, the first two sold very well. Not to mention Saints Row 3 and 4 received multiple releases including complete versions, rereleases on new generation platforms, tons of digital sales where people bought them for like $5 and never even played them, way bigger market by that point in time, etc. Maybe if they kept the same direction of the original games then Saints Row 3 could have actually sold more than The Third did, but we will never know.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
San Andreas had an early 90's gangsta rap vibe in California while Saints Row had a 2000's Chicago feeling. Completely different. It's like saying NFL Blitz and Madden have the same feeling because they're both NFL football games with similar mechanics and the same control schemes. Saints Row of course was inspired by GTA but everything is eventually inspired by something.
Saints Row 1&2 are very obviously trying to to San Andreas. When literially the only thing that differentiates the games is that one plays in Chicago and one plays in California then that's not exactly a good look. That's not something that is "completely different", that's a just different setting and even a setting with a ton of parallels. To keep the analogy, I am comparing NFL 2k with Madden here, while SR3 & SR4 are basically the arcade styled over the top NFL Blitz.

...and the later part is just pure speculation.

Saints Row can only succeed in rebooting by following the formula of 2 and improving it.

The crazy gimmick only worked for SR3 and got mixed results from players. It didn't work for the other two. It's not something that can work again

Blond

Banned

Easy way to test out the new engine and get us to pay for the privilege of trying out the beta.

Last edited:
Top Bottom