• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saints Row PS5 vs Xbox Series X/S - Digital Foundry Review - Impressive Reboot Blighted By Tech Issues

Duchess

IGNxGamer suggested that the Series S version should either be locked to 30fps or have the screen resolution dropped to 900p.

Now, while the Series S is definitely the punching bag for gamers this generation, this does genuinely feel like its a case of a lack of optimisation on the machine.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Holy shit, just watched this.

What a terrible display, the devs should be embarrassed. No way these consoles cant handle 1080p at 60FPS.

Shite.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
IGNxGamer suggested that the Series S version should either be locked to 30fps or have the screen resolution dropped to 900p.

Now, while the Series S is definitely the punching bag for gamers this generation, this does genuinely feel like its a case of a lack of optimisation on the machine.

None of the versions for this game are well optimized.

MikeM

Should have just concentrated on one good mode rather than 7 unsatisfactory ones, looks like a mess
Riky- no love for the Series X version? I was expecting more from you bruh.
I really REALLY hate graphical modes on consoles. Make 1 mode intended to play !!! Then add vrr cap unlock so next consoles can benefit. done.... or make fidelity and performance modes and offer vrr unlock for both.... but 5...7... modes? CMON if I wanted settings, I would play on a pc.
Having to watch a DF video to be able to decide and see what each mode does is stupid ass.
It is not possible to make a graphical mode choice witout fps counter and other data. This is a console not a pc damn it
One mode- nah. 30, 60 and 120 fps modes are perfect. DF should buy a physical version of the game to benchmark future consoles.
You know those are going to be a treat.
Ps4 and Xbone settings: 480p and 720p at maybe 20fps.

"Impressive reboot"

Fuck off DF
DF was one of the first gaming websites to go down the "advocacy" road so I am not surprised they would be incapable of fully trashing the game. I forget what it was exactly since it was so long ago at this point but they straight up came out and made some sort of statement, which was helpful to remind me to delete my bookmark.

We all lose!
Only if you wanted to play it to begin with.

Think About It GIF by Identity

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Riky- no love for the Series X version? I was expecting more from you bruh.

One mode- nah. 30, 60 and 120 fps modes are perfect. DF should buy a physical version of the game to benchmark future consoles.

Ps4 and Xbone settings: 480p and 720p at maybe 20fps.
No. The modes are terrible. I don’t want choices with the drawbacks. Make game in one good way and offer vrr unlock

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war

Is there any benchmarks on PC with similar GPUs to the XSS? Things like the RX580, RX5500, GTX 1060 , GTX 1650 etc

Edit: found one

60fps on seriesS is definitely possible the gtx1650 here gets a pretty good 1080p @ 60fps on medium.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
In an ideal world this game would not need more than 2 modes.

1440p @ 60 FPS
2160p + RTAO @ 30 FPS
And that here is a bad choice.
Nobody who would see how it looks at 4k with ADDITIONAL effects, would then be happy to switch to 1440p without RT... why miss out?

The point to have 2 modes, is to not see the visual difference. Modes should looks close to identical aside from resolution and reconstruction.
Or just offer only 1 mode + vrr unlock...
We will see how tlou1 does it. There is Fidelity and performance modes. Both have vrr unlock.

And of course fidelity mode should not be just resolution. It should be best graphics features with best possible resolution achievable.
There is no point to having fidelity resolution just for the sake of 4k

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
And that here is a bad choice.
Nobody who would see how it looks at 4k with ADDITIONAL effects, would then be happy to switch to 1440p without RT... why miss out?

The point to have 2 modes, is to not see the visual difference. Modes should looks close to identical aside from resolution and reconstruction.
Or just offer only 1 mode + vrr unlock...
We will see how tlou1 does it. There is Fidelity and performance modes. Both have vrr unlock

You can only do so much on fixed hardware platforms like consoles.

IMO you should have 1 mode with all the bells and whistles at 30 FPS and one mode with preference to performance and sensible cut-backs and DRS as necessary.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
You can only do so much on fixed hardware platforms like consoles.

IMO you should have 1 mode with all the bells and whistles at 30 FPS and one mode with preference to performance and sensible cut-backs and DRS as necessary.
Sure but it is heartbreaking to ...."oh well now switch to 60fps to actually play the game".
The bells and whistles 30fps should be as good looking and as low latency as possible at 30fps.

And of course just offer vrr unlock for any mode. If we had that, Pro consoles would be sweet!

Haven't trusted his blind ass since his Genshin/Fifa videos.
He said Genshin PS5 was the same as PS4 (Pro) while showing higher quality character textures on the PS5, and Fifa on Series S was 4k (I think it was him).

I mean resetera fanboys over df

Top Bottom