• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy developer interview

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://press-start.com.au/news/pla...s-about-the-platformer-coming-to-life-on-ps5/

Sackboy2-770x433.jpg

Ahead of the launch of Sackboy: A Big Adventure’s release on PS5 and PS4, we had the chance to talk to Creative Director at Sumo Digital, Ned Waterhouse about the game. We got to find out how the game incorporates classic Little Big Planet elements into a brand new game style and find out how the game takes advantage of core PS5 features to deliver a fresh platforming experience.

LITTLE BIG PLANET GAMES HAVE ALWAYS HAD GREAT CAMPAIGNS, BUT IT’S ALWAYS BEEN ABOUT THE LONGEVITY THROUGH THE CREATE MODE AND ONLINE. WHAT WILL KEEP PLAYERS COMING BACK IN SACKBOY: A BIG ADVENTURE?
NW:
With Sackboy A Big Adventure we have focused solely on Play. This focus has enabled us to develop a 3D platformer with great character controls, a beautiful hand-crafted world to explore, loads of gameplay variety and chaotic, slapstick co-op multiplayer.

And like all great platformers this game has tonnes of content and loads of replay value. There are plenty of optional challenges to unlock as you progress on your adventure and if you successfully complete the story then there are lots more surprises in store.

Some of the toughest challenges in the game are the Knitted Knight Trials. These optional stages are quick-fire, arcade-y speed runs where you have a single life to complete a hazard riddled obstacle course in the fastest time possible. The final Knitted Knight Trial is the game’s ultimate challenge which I refer to as “my Everest” because, much to the disappointment of the design team, I am yet to complete it.

There is loads of content to unlock and pit yourself against. And if you manage to complete every level then the next question is ‘can you master them?’ There is an ultra-rare costume piece for anyone who manages to master all the levels in the game. I can’t wait to see the first stream or screenshot with someone showing it off – it’s the game’s ultimate bragging rights.

WITH THE RECENT PS5 UI, WE GOT TO SEE SACKBOY: A BIG ADVENTURE USED AS AN EXAMPLE FOR THE NEW SYSTEM FEATURE THAT TELLS YOU PROGRESS FOR CERTAIN TASKS OR LEVELS. DOES THAT IMPACT GAME DESIGN AT ALL?
NW:
When we started designing for the Activities feature our core game design and structure was already defined. So, it wasn’t so much a case of adapting the design as working out how best we could use the Activities feature to give our players added value.

The Activities system is going to be great for Sackboy players, particularly if you’re a completionist, as it gives you a clear checklist of objectives on your journey to mastering the game. When this is coupled with the Game Help system it means you’re never stuck for long and you can always keep moving forwards.

More at source link....

Top Bottom