• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sackboy: A Big Adventure - Review Thread

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
sackboy-featured.jpg

Metacritic: 78
Opencritic: 78

Gamereactor: 8
Thegamer: 7
Spaziogames: 8
Destructoid: in progress
Gamesradar: in progress
Powerup Gaming: 8
TheSixthAxis: 7 for no gender options
Android Central: 9
Eurogamer Italy: 8
MGG Spain: 7.5
Vandal: 8.3
Video Chums: 9.3

The most anticipated game of the year is almost upon us! Seriously though, I really hope it's a cute little hidden gem, I'd love a good 3D World clone for Playstation.

Edit: if you're coming to this thread late, I ended up beating the game and definitely recommend it if you're after something fun, quaint and breezy to play through. Some of the music sections are really cool, wouldn't suggest it as a multiplayer only game though as it's only a select set of MP maps.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I have to admit a 4 player platformer would have been better as a single player experience was my thoughts when i first viewed the reveal IMO

post-S

I just want to know if there’s any versus levels. But none of the review seems to mention it explicitly.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Does this work with PS4 controllers on the PS5? I'm not buying a third DualSense controller.

Not the PS5 version of the game, no, frustratingly.

This is exactly what I was complaining about when they announced that DS4 wouldn't work on PS5 games and some lovely folks on this board said "lol just get over it Sony is pushing the boundaries of gaming innovation bro, just buy three extra controllers to play a basic platformer".

Meanwhile every Dualsense feature can be completely disabled for accessibility.

:messenger_neutral:

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
This game needs to be around 80% to be a great launch pickup. Looks like it may be on it's way there.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I have enjoyed this series, but I cannot think about these games without remembering Phill Harrison correcting the name announcement on the 1up show in an extremely pretentions voice. I wish I could find the video.

Fbh

Better than expected to be honest.
LBP without the whole create aspect didn't sound too appealing.

Jadsey

The Sixth Axis Review

This fuck nugget knocked points off for this gem :

"An extra disappointment is that you are Sackboy and only ever Sackboy, despite Scarlet being a Sackgirl. Of course you can play dress up through the game, with some of the earliest costumes to unlock or buy being for Red Riding Hood and a punk rocker girl in a tartan skirt. We’re at a point now where girls, women and non-binary people should be able to choose to be referred to as Sackgirl, Sackling, Sackthing or a handful of other options in the cutscene dialogue, but there’s no option, and it leaves Sackboy: A Big Adventure feeling a bit behind the times."

:messenger_weary:

Gediminas

Banned
The Sixth Axis Review

"An extra disappointment is that you are Sackboy and only ever Sackboy, despite Scarlet being a Sackgirl. Of course you can play dress up through the game, with some of the earliest costumes to unlock or buy being for Red Riding Hood and a punk rocker girl in a tartan skirt. We’re at a point now where girls, women and non-binary people should be able to choose to be referred to as Sackgirl, Sackling, Sackthing or a handful of other options in the cutscene dialogue, but there’s no option, and it leaves Sackboy: A Big Adventure feeling a bit behind the times."

retards stroke again.

Elcid

Banned
The Sixth Axis Review

OMFG I can't be a SACKTHING?! COME ON 2020! Who made this game, Hitler?!

AV

The Sixth Axis Review

Added with caveat, thanks.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I don't like the art direction of this game man. It looks like trash literally trash of an old womans house all her drawers just emptied in a blender.. and then you get this shit. I absolutely hate it.

-edit-

i have a pretty big sack myself. I can kinda wrap it around my penis to make it look like one of those eggs in aliens. And when i flex my penis it kinda looks like the alien is moving in the egg,
pretty cool party trick. Used to do it at school all the time.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I thought this looked cool and am glad that it looks like a bit of a 3D World clone.

I'm gonna be pretty busy with Demon's Souls for a while but may look to pick this up some time in the new year if it keeps on reviewing well.

I hope Sumo Digital gets a chance to create their own platform IP. I would love to see them make another kart racing game as well. The Ratchet and Clank IP would lend itself well to that. Sly Cooper too!

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
The Sixth Axis Review

This reviewer is a clown.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The Sixth Axis Review

I remember when reviewers actually liked video games.

mitch1971

The Sixth Axis Review

can't wait for their review of the next splinter cell if it doesn't include Samantha Fisher.

pixelation

It also runs @ 60 fps on PS4 right?, I'm gonna get it on PS4 because I really wanna play it now... but I don't plan on getting a PS5 (until I know for certain that there aren't any issues with the first batch of systems, say around 6 months to a year).

Kdad

The Sixth Axis Review

JFC...I usually don't give a shit about this but its the fucking character's name...not a descriptor. Fuck these people are stupid. Have playable characters for different peeps...sure, fill ya god damned boots...but changing the character's name outright...fuck that noise.

I've never clicked on a Sixth Axis article ever and now I know why.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
JFC...I usually don't give a shit about this but its the fucking character's name...not a descriptor. Fuck these people are stupid. Have playable characters for different peeps...sure, fill ya god damned boots...but changing the character's name outright...fuck that noise.

I've never clicked on a Sixth Axis article ever and now I know why.

I think the reviewer is CORRECT, there should be a Sackgirl or Sackling option in the game. BUT....... NO WAY IN THE WORLD.....should it get points knocked off for it.

Roufianos

Those are some surprisingly impressive scores.

Also lol @ Sixth Axis. Have we really sunk so low that being called a 'thing' is now dignifying?

Last edited:
It also runs @ 60 fps on PS4 right?, I'm gonna get it on PS4 because I really wanna play it now... but I don't plan on getting a PS5 (until I know for certain that there aren't any issues with the first batch of systems, say around 6 months to a year).

Yup

So we said from the get-go, it has to be a solid 60 across all platforms. We use dynamic resolution scaling to ensure that we can keep it at a smooth 60, but that was our priority throughout development. And I hope that players feel the benefits of that when they play the game."

The main advantages of the PS5 version will be the resolution, dualsense & the ssd.

Last edited:

nikos

Looking forward to playing this in co-op. Hopefully it feels more responsive than the LBP games. The FPS boost should help.

Chukhopops

Seems like every other Sumo digital game, this studio is basically a 70-75 Metacritic factory. It looks pretty though, like a mix of Yoshi's crafted world and Super Mario 3D world.

The Sixth Axis Review

I feel bad for them.

To be so insecure about your gender than even dude that doesnt even have genitals, made from a string will hurt their fragile egos :messenger_pensive:

ahh, but I'm not, because they assumed sackboys and sackgirls gender just because there is boy and girl in their names! cancel them:messenger_angry:

Kdad

I think the reviewer is CORRECT, there should be a Sackgirl or Sackling option in the game. BUT....... NO WAY IN THE WORLD.....should it get points knocked off for it.
Sackboy's pronouns are never mentioned in any LBP game afaik, so their gender is unknown. This is a figment of a reviewers imagination.

Vtecomega

Banned
The Sixth Axis Review

The gaming industry is the worst kind of cancer.

Top Bottom