• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sable - Xbox Series X Demo (50 mins of Gameplay, 4K)

Kuranghi

Played the demo on Steam, really nice looking game, has potential, but its a bit of a technical mess as theres no V-sync at all in the demo so it tears constantly and no exclusive fullscreen so it stutters constantly. Although you can force FSE via commandline it reverts to borderless EVERY time you pause the game or when you reach the main menu and you have to alt-enter twice to get FSE back.

The game also has an undefeatable in-game 30fps lock, I've reached out to the developer to try and get some fixes for these things on the steam forums but its just one guy afaik so who knows. They said they locked to lower fps for stylistic reasons.

Pagusas

Elden Member
No offence but with that kind of (low to no) detail why do you need 4k? Just make sure you use good AA
Did you not watch the video? It might be low poly, but it features tons of line art, which benefits greatly from higher resolution.

sublimit

Banned
One of the most interesting games shown at E3 this year for me. Love the art-style and i think it will be perfect for those who will like to relax and explore in a Moebius-like world.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I tried the demo and could not get in the speeder bike. Was it a glitch? I tried everything. Then I went to the main menu to try again and it locked up. I quit.

Kuranghi

I watched the vid on my phone but I play on a projector.
The game looked cell shaded when I watched the vid so 4k seems a bit of a strange choice.

Thats not a good way to judge IQ, the phone is far too small, say your phone is 6 inches in diameter and its 4K resolution, in that case the recommended viewing distance to see all the detail provided by the screen is 0.09m, thats 9cm.

Projectors are cool for size but the contrast and sharpness and everything else is awful compared to even a mid range modern 4K TV. Fair enough if you dont have another choice though, just saying you can do A LOT better and it'll blow your mind when you see the TV side by side with the projector image.

I'm not saying its 100% of the time, but rarely will increasing res not make a big difference to image quality/detail, regardless of the art/rendering style. I like to think of res as "cleaning the window through which you see the world" (lol I know that sounds cheesy but its easy to understand at least), your art can be amazing but if the viewport is low quality then you won't see the detail.

The reason you think 4K makes no difference is because you don't have the equipment to see the difference yet, PM me and I'll help you buy a 4K TV that will help you understand why its a big deal.

Often the games with the simplest art styles get the biggest benefit to res boosting, like Nintendo Gamecube/Wii/Switch games which look amazing when you upscale them beyond the original HW:

Thats just a res increase and nothing else but now you can enjoy all those lovely graphics effects from a distance instead of having to be right next to them, creates such an enhanced sense of place for me personally.

Three

Thats not a good way to judge IQ, the phone is far too small, say your phone is 6 inches in diameter and its 4K resolution, in that case the recommended viewing distance to see all the detail provided by the screen is 0.09m, thats 9cm.

Projectors are cool for size but the contrast and sharpness and everything else is awful compared to even a mid range modern 4K TV. Fair enough if you dont have another choice though, just saying you can do A LOT better and it'll blow your mind when you see the TV side by side with the projector image.

I'm not saying its 100% of the time, but rarely will increasing res not make a big difference to image quality/detail, regardless of the art/rendering style. I like to think of res as "cleaning the window through which you see the world" (lol I know that sounds cheesy but its easy to understand at least), your art can be amazing but if the viewport is low quality then you won't see the detail.

The reason you think 4K makes no difference is because you don't have the equipment to see the difference yet, PM me and I'll help you buy a 4K TV that will help you understand why its a big deal.

Often the games with the simplest art styles get the biggest benefit to res boosting, like Nintendo Gamecube/Wii/Switch games which look amazing when you upscale them beyond the original HW:

Thats just a res increase and nothing else but now you can enjoy all those lovely graphics effects from a distance instead of having to be right next to them, creates such an enhanced sense of place for me personally.

I have a 4k TV too I just prefer playing on a 150" projector. I play mostly at night and if I want to play in the sunshine I use the TV. Still wouldn't mind your TV recommendations though since I want to get a better HDR one.

I guess this is a game that would benefit from variable rate shading because the insides that don't have lines could be one giant pixel.

Three

Did you not watch the video? It might be low poly, but it features tons of line art, which benefits greatly from higher resolution.
Admittedly I hadn't watched all 50mins of it and only now saw some really high frequency detail when she went inside 37minutes in.

JeloSWE

Played the demo on Steam, really nice looking game, has potential, but its a bit of a technical mess as theres no V-sync at all in the demo so it tears constantly and no exclusive fullscreen so it stutters constantly. Although you can force FSE via commandline it reverts to borderless EVERY time you pause the game or when you reach the main menu and you have to alt-enter twice to get FSE back.

The game also has an undefeatable in-game 30fps lock, I've reached out to the developer to try and get some fixes for these things on the steam forums but its just one guy afaik so who knows. They said they locked to lower fps for stylistic reasons.
I was a bit interested in the this title because of it's visuals and setting but the character animations are even lower than the 30 fps so they look disjointed from the world when they animate at a lower rate than the the update of the camera movement, I ventured was a stylistic choice but I frankly dislike it a lot. Hearing it's locked to 30 is even worse, I'm so fed up with sub 60fps you have no idea. Also there were a lot of distracting shimmering due to poor or complete lack of antialias.

Kuranghi

I was a bit interested in the this title because of it's visuals and setting but the character animations are even lower than the 30 fps so they look disjointed from the world when they animate at a lower rate than the the update of the camera movement, I ventured was a stylistic choice but I frankly dislike it a lot. Hearing it's locked to 30 is even worse, I'm so fed up with sub 60fps you have no idea. Also there were a lot of distracting shimmering due to poor or complete lack of antialias.

I've asked the dev if they can unlock the fps, I was about 45% on my GTX 1080 at native 4K so its not badly optimised imo. If they don't unlock the fps I'd like supersampling to counter the aliasing because my 3rd request of TAA is unlikely or if its possible it would not be a great implementation of it probably based on other Unity engine games that have it.

Here is the post I made to the devs if you are interested:

Both the locking to 30fps and no v-sync is just silly though, their reasoning makes no sense.

edit - the original plan was for it to be 24fps, so not sure they are very technically ept devs since we all know that would feel like shit with v-sync on. Prob why v-sync is off for the demo, because its locked to 30fps.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

I've asked the dev if they can unlock the fps, I was about 45% on my GTX 1080 at native 4K so its not badly optimised imo. If they don't unlock the fps I'd like supersampling to counter the aliasing because my 3rd request of TAA is unlikely or if its possible it would not be a great implementation of it probably based on other Unity engine games that have it.

Here is the post I made to the devs if you are interested:

Both the locking to 30fps and no v-sync is just silly though, their reasoning makes no sense.

edit - the original plan was for it to be 24fps, so not sure they are very technically ept devs since we all know that would feel like shit with v-sync on. Prob why v-sync is off for the demo, because its locked to 30fps.
It's their choice and so is mine to not play it thus. ;)

If there is one thing that has kept a smile on my face since the PS5 launch is that basically every title has a 60fps option now, even with RT in many of them. There are few words to describe how much I loath 30 fps.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
Holy fuck that lazy fucking animation art style is nauseating, this thing looks rough, hopefully it's still alpha right now.

Kuranghi

Holy fuck that lazy fucking animation art style is nauseating, this thing looks rough, hopefully it's still alpha right now.

homer simpson GIF

JeloSWE

To be fair, it's quite obviously an artistic choice, I just happen to not like it and I agree that it's distracting and nauseating. I literarily get slight motion sickness from playing 30fps games these day, it's mostly likely because I sit very close to 75" screen and it cover most of my field of vision but that also means lower fps is very tiresome on the eyes.

Kuranghi

To be fair, it's quite obviously an artistic choice, I just happen to not like it and I agree that it's distracting and nauseating. I literarily get slight motion sickness from playing 30fps games these day, it's mostly likely because I sit very close to 75" screen and it cover most of my field of vision but that also means lower fps is very tiresome on the eyes.

How close are you to the 75"?

My flatmate sits around 3' from a 55" and when in the room while he's playing I have to point out stuff in the corners playing because he literally can't see it.

Also its a 4K TV but he never plays any games on it in 4K, really getting the money out of that upscaler! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

JeloSWE

How close are you to the 75"?

My flatmate sits around 3' from a 55" and when in the room while he's playing I have to point out stuff in the corners playing because he literally can't see it.

Also its a 4K TV but he never plays any games on it in 4K, really getting the money out of that upscaler! :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm sitting aprox 1.5~2m away from my 75" depending on my seating position. It's great when watching letterboxed movies but also immersive in many games where the main character is small on screen. But it can be a bit of a problem when watching older content that were authored for smaller screens. Mostly though I use it for work and it's really helpful.

RGB'D

Just played through the Demo last night on series X. Holy crap... this game is incredible. I am so pumped for the full release. In motion I feel like I am watching a animated movie and it hits all the right tones. One of the prettiest games I have ever played

Bartski

Gold Member
Been looking forward to it since revel but it's such a mess... It's only real standout quality - the incredible minimalistic art style is still there but totally ruined by insane object and asset LOD pop in everywhere, completely unjustified by anything you see on the screen. For some reason, the game runs at what looks like 50-60 fps (XsX) but all characters are animated in 24 to give it this "oldschool anime" look I guess? The result is just bad and jarring, hurts everything you do in-game while being on foot.
As opposed to high fps vehicle movement which feels nice making me think I'd rather see them make this into some kind of a racing game than trying to chase BOTW. Devs must have never taken into consideration how hard it must be to combine free climbing mechanics with very uneven terrain before it was too late, literally first thing I did in the demo is clip right through the giant face you wake up in front of.
Insanely bad janky collision, character can barely handle walking over larger rocks, camera goes haywire, stamina meter broken - sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

No clue about the story, uninstalled. I hope they delay it by a year or two and get some help, or follow up with another game with the same look but more budget for polish.

Last edited:

Roberts

Feels awful in 30fps on Series X - why is it not 60fps???
Artistic choice. To make it look like an animated film, but I wish they could include optional 60fps mode, because I think even then the choppy animation of the character would still give the desired effect.

Bartski

Gold Member
Artistic choice. To make it look like an animated film, but I wish they could include optional 60fps mode, because I think even then the choppy animation of the character would still give the desired effect.
but if you look closer it's just the characters, they're animated at a much lower frame rate than the environment as you move through hit, pan the camera etc. which makes it feel even worse.

Alx

I liked the art style and the floating ability. The fetching quests were a bit boring, especially since I didn’t pay attention to the three spots to explore for bike parts, and the NPC wouldn’t tell me again when I went back.
It’s probably worth going further to get the Moebius-like flying stuff unlocked

Last edited:

BabyYoda

Banned
It was better than I hoped, looks even better when playing it and the games oozes atmosphere, I also like the characters and dialogue. Needs work polishing it, but other than that, it exceeded my expectations!

Edit: The 30fps didn't bother me, I'm kinda used to that anyway on my potato, but it suits the anime like animations anyway, they just need to optimise it better and give us vsync!

Last edited:
Top Bottom