• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saber Interactive to manage Witcher 3 next-gen port, freeing up CDPR to handle CP2077 in house

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7498...ng-witcher-3s-ps5-xbox-series-port/index.html
Saber Interactive, part of the Embracer Group has been tasked with porting The Witcher 3 to next gen consoles. They did the Witcher 3 backport to Nintendo Switch hardware.

Saber will leverage the full might of the PS5, Xbox Series X, and high-end PCs to enable ray tracing, ultra-fast loading times with PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 4K 60FPS perf targets, and more. The news was confirmed in a recent CD Projekt conference call.

"Regarding The Witcher 3 and its next-gen version: this project is developed outside, with our proven partner who had delivered the 4K version of The Witcher 3 and The Witcher 3 for Switch, so they already know our technology very well," CD Projekt president Adam Kicinski said.

"We asked them to prepare the next-gen port, and as I said during my presentation, we expect a full next-gen experience, with great next gen features, but it doesn't interfere with next-gen development of CP.....

Kicinski clarifies that CD Projekt RED will be developing Cyberpunk 2077's next-gen version internally, and it won't be handled off to other teams like Saber Interactive.

"Well we have to differentiate two things: the current version, which will be released in November, will be playable from the beginning when next-gen consoles are released; you will be able to play the current-gen version on next-gen from day 1. And you can expect a bit higher quality than on the current gen.

"However, the full-blown next-gen version is planned for next year and it will be developed internally."

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Can't wait to complete this game again. Goat
maxresdefault.jpg

McHuj

I can't wait to see what they do for the next-gen version. I'm not expecting much, but new a lighting system would be awesome with full RT.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Lowkey can't wait to see the full-blown next gen version of Cyberpunk 2077 :)
I can't wait to see what they do for the next-gen version. I'm not expecting much, but new a lighting system would be awesome with full RT.
look at how it runs on PC. next gen version will likely match a PC with a 2070 Super (9TF) and 2080 (10TF) for PS5 and somewhere between a 2080 Super (11TF) + 2080 Ti (13TF) for Xbox Series X.

the raytracing will be weaker on consoles so whatever you see a 2000 series GPU doing then expect a bit less than that.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Beginning in 2003, Saber entered a period of sustained growth through the development of successful titles based on original IPs and in partnership with major developer and publishers. Some of those games include Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary with Microsoft Game Studios and 343 Industries; Halo: The Master Chief Collection, also with Microsoft Game Studios and 343; Spintires: Mudrunner; Quake Champions, in partnership with id Software; NBA Playgrounds and NBA2K Playgrounds 2, ...

Will wait b4 purchase

Rikkori

I expected this after they did the switcher port. And with them adding TAA and the like, I think we might even see DLSS for TW3 besides ray tracing and all that. I just hope they don't utterly break mod compatibility. That would be 100% disaster.

McHuj

i think it'll be fine. CDPR will have people guiding it and checking in on it to make sure it's up to scratch. it'll be a good port i bet.

look at how it runs on a PS4 Pro and PC then imagine somewhere in between and a bit closer to the PC version. next gen version will likely match a PC with a 2070 Super (9TF) and 2080 (10TF) for PS4 and somewhere between a 2080 Super (11TF) + 2080 Ti (13TF) for Xbox Series X.

the raytracing will be weaker on consoles so whatever you see a 2000 series GPU doing then expect a bit less than that.

I realize that. I'm dying to see what it actually looks like on RTX3080. I think there's a lot of potential for improving the indoor lighting with RT. I always thought the indoors always looked a little subpar in the game at least in comparison to the outdoor views while riding around the country side.

angrod14

What’s the angle here business-wise? Why would you as a company spend money on a new version a give it away free? You could say they’re catering the new players, but I think the vast majority that’s interest in this game has already played it.

Kenpachii

What’s the angle here business-wise? Why would you as a company spend money on a new version a give it away free? You could say they’re catering the new players, but I think the vast majority that’s interest in this game has already played it.

Blizzard used to do this also. It creates trust into the company. If you buy the game at day one u know u will always have the best version so there is no reason to wait. It helps them sell cyberpunk for example on older consoles etc. Otherwise people will wait for the next consoles and there next year copy and the game simple isn't selling because its old news.

A good example is i bought the entire anno collection all games on uplay for example, few months later a remastery of the games got announced and it wasn't a automatic update for me even while i spended a god awful amount of money on it. Result i will never buy these kind of games from uplay ever again.

Last edited:

Exentryk

CDPR is very consumer friendly, and these actions are getting rewarded as the game is still selling very strong (evident from their latest financial reports). Also worth mentioning is they have a new game coming out (Cyberpunk), so I'm sure they will get rewarded as deserved.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte

Have you heard of child birth? You get new people that grow up.

And a lot of people havent played it yet, me includef. That might get pulled in by some super quality version.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Started a replay last year on One X. Im not too far, doing quests in Novigrad. Guess I'll wait

Rockman33

About 20 hours in. Picked it up on game pass after watching the show on Netflix. Got distracted and put it down. This will definitely get me back into the game though!

GreyHand23

Also keep in mind that this will likely release close to when season 2 of Witcher releases on Netflix so there will be even higher interest in the franchise.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
No work on the utterly shit combat mechanics,then? but hey, lets layer on the shiny stuff...'cus shiny stuff is more sales!!

Rikkori

Hard to believe it can look even better...
Imo I think RTXGI (https://developer.nvidia.com/rtxgi) would be great for this, that way they can set-up RTGI automatically with a lot less work. I'm not sure it's going to be available for anyone other than Unreal for now but that would be a GAME CHANGER! Then ofc add shadows, reflections, and maybe even - can I hope? - audio!

In the meantime (from Jimbo at Reeee):

jw2i72.png
jc4y1i.png

jXYk0c.png
jbbDHc.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom