• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin |OT| We love samurai stuff in the west too, Sega!

My thoughts tell me this game would sell a lot better than the standard Yakuza series internationally and on a new system starving for games they could make a killing if they released it soonish, but I'm not a salesman.
If they start localizing now, it would take way too long to get here with any impact.

sublimit

Banned
I have bought and played every Yakuza game that came to the west (even imported Kenzan) but seriously if Sega can't be bothered to localize the game then FUCK THEM.

I'm tired of begging them.

StMeph

Is there any difference between the Asian and Japanese versions? Censorship, subtitles (any non-Japanese language options)?

putarorex

I am on Chapter 6 and I am not sure how much more I've got, but I may have broke the early game by playing the Vita app and leveling up skills, weapons, and gear. I'll get to supposed bosses in the main story and actual switch to lower weapons so they last long enough for their special moves. The trash mobs in the higher level battle dungeons have more hit points sometimes.

Still it has been a fantastic game so far. The setting is great and mini games are fun. The sub stories are not bad but really nothing new; they even have the sappy music play (might be the same as other games) during parts where you are supposed to feel sad. I do like how some people from the mini games can be recruited later to be in your squads for the battle dungeons.

lupin23rd

Just got my copy today, tried to stream but it wouldn't let me. From a reddit post it seems like you need to be playing on a Japanese PSN account, is it's true for all Japanese games or is this a weird region locking thing?

Sgblues

Well early sales are in and not so good from the start

[NEW] Yakuza: Ishin! (Sega) – PS3 – 138 158
[NEW] Yakuza: Ishin! (Sega) – PS4 – 82 540

Source

But I'm hoping it would pick up more.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Source

Will have to give it time, considering its a spinoff title. Word of mouth if positive should drive it further at least. The initial sales are those willing to take the leap of faith.

People bought the other games in the main series due to the continuation of the story and characters involved.

Since this one has no attachment to that world asides from the likenesses its not really surprising that the numbers would be lower.

Although at the same time with how popular Sakamoto Ryoma and the Shinsengumi are in Japan would have expected slightly higher numbers just off of that alone.

Feudal Era RgG never sold anywhere as good as the Modern Era RgG.

The fans want idol Haruka and ex-gangster Kiryu in the streets of Tokyo, not some old Japan era.

Fbh

Feudal Era RgG never sold anywhere as good as the Modern Era RgG.

The fans want idol Haruka and ex-gangster Kiryu in the streets of Tokyo, not some old Japan era.

It's sort of funny but I think the feudal setting appeal more to the west

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Just got my copy today, tried to stream but it wouldn't let me. From a reddit post it seems like you need to be playing on a Japanese PSN account, is it's true for all Japanese games or is this a weird region locking thing?

streaming and screenshots are disabled until new game+ :/

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
streaming and screenshots are disabled until new game+ :/

I still really dont get why they did that. Kinda defeats the purpose of sharing ones experience with friends getting free marketing for the game and such.

Then again am sure as you know Japan seems to hate free marketing with how they love to take down videos and other things from the internet / niconico lol.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's sort of funny but I think the feudal setting appeal more to the west

Probably true, and they'll never figure that out either.

Source

Part of the "problem" is the upgrade feature - you can buy the PS3 version and download the PS4 version, so long as you keep the disc and such.

Also, does MC take digital sales also? Might not add THAT much, but might round off the PS3 version to 140K and the PS4 to 90K.

Probably true, and they'll never figure that out either.

What makes you all think Yakuza would sell any more than it did in Japan overseas?

CDJapan shipped this on Monday and the post office tried to deliver it yesterday but no one was home. Really impressed with them.

Now I'm contemplating streaming later today...

12818838974_f097599982_c.jpg

zoobzone

I was streaming this game to a friend.

The PS4 internal broadcasting prevents you from streaming most scenes/taking screenshots in this game.

So I used Elgato to stream it, the game has full sound - except when they talk about things with story importance.

Just wondering how they're doing this, because I'm getting sound on my home theater setup just fine.

Ji66a-Man

I was streaming this game to a friend.

The PS4 internal broadcasting prevents you from streaming most scenes/taking screenshots in this game.

So I used Elgato to stream it, the game has full sound - except when they talk about things with story importance.

Just wondering how they're doing this, because I'm getting sound on my home theater setup just fine.

It's a problem with the Elgato Game Capture. It doesn't support any channels above 2.0 stereo.

Came across this site: slowly adding/updating but it's come in handy for a few things already. My hope is they manage to translate all the content so in case the game never comes, I've played it an understand fully what I played. So far I'm making good progress without being fully aware of some things.

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

It is geat work those guys are doing but it is not the same as playing with englisj text/subtitles

Came across this site: slowly adding/updating but it's come in handy for a few things already. My hope is they manage to translate all the content so in case the game never comes, I've played it an understand fully what I played. So far I'm making good progress without being fully aware of some things.

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

This is great that some people are providing information so that more people could play this game.
Better than nothing i guess .

Torraz

I have a question, not sure if it was answerd in a tutorial... (my ability to read Japanese is still prett lacking, so I try to only read non-voiced text for essential story sequences).

Is there a difference with regard to leveling up styles with the non-specific grey currency, as opposed to the color-specific currency? (For example, would the color specific currency be needed to unlock the seals?)

Thanks!

Apdiddy

Watched a guy streaming this on my PS4 and I feel incredibly sorry for the guy due to the other audience members watching.

The common response during it was "This sucks" or "this game looks awful" or "another boring Japanese game."

Even then, I really wish Sega would localize this and release it to the States.

putarorex

I have a question, not sure if it was answerd in a tutorial... (my ability to read Japanese is still prett lacking, so I try to only read non-voiced text for essential story sequences).

Is there a difference with regard to leveling up styles with the non-specific grey currency, as opposed to the color-specific currency? (For example, would the color specific currency be needed to unlock the seals?)

Thanks!

You unlock the seals through trainers mostly and you can use the grey skill ups for the ones you unlock. It seems the maximum level you can get for a style is 25, for 25 skill ups specific to that style.

I'm level 52 now, with 25 in sword, 23 in guns, 19 in sword/gun, and 13 in brawling. I am on Chapter 10 and I am now working on gathering materials to make different katanas. You can merge katanas to imbue one with the special traits of another, but getting a gold in the mini game is pretty tough. I have been saving and reloading in order to get golds for enchanting my main weapon.

Sgblues

Yeah KHH subs has been working hard to translate and have people like and enjoy the games in the series that haven't come over to the west, which is why in the OT I said to show your love when you can on his tumblr or site.

Wolff

Watched a guy streaming this on my PS4 and I feel incredibly sorry for the guy due to the other audience members watching.

The common response during it was "This sucks" or "this game looks awful" or "another boring Japanese game."

Even then, I really wish Sega would localize this and release it to the States.

I get that reaction from people on all Yakuza games, unfortunately. Guess some people are just idiots that can't understand there are different games, and different does not mean bad.

I play a lot of stuff, and even though the series is not perfect, i never came across to many games that have me entertained, interested and immersive on it for 40+ hours as Yakuza does.

Anyway, here hoping Sega brings this and 5 to the west too. Or maybe even Sony with that localization stuff they want to do.

The media and forums are giving the series much more attention now, at least it seems to me that way so i think it would be an ideal time to try it.

To buy on PSN you'll need a credit card with a Japanese mailing address. Alternatively you could buy a Japanese PSN point card from somewhere like Play Asia. If you are willing to get a disc-release, I'd recommend getting the Asia release, as it should be identical to the Japanese release, but for about 2000 yen cheaper.

Thanks for the tip. I assume there is no way, like from an official PS channel or something, to actually pay 1000 yen for a 1000 yen point card, instead of 1500+ yen per 1000 yen PC like from Play Asia?

Spades

OK so I just downloaded the demo and started playing it with my wife. Despite not knowing what on earth is going on, we're having a great time trying to figure it all out. I might still order this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There was someone in the Canadian Game Deals forum offering 1 for 1 Japanese cards. I think I saw similar offers in the BST thread too.

Gammacide

I'll be importing this right round my birthday if there is no word of localization by then (a couple of months). This looks SOOOO good! I don't know why this wouldn't do better than the usual Yakuza titles because the setting is so different. Here in the West we are desperate for something like this because the regular Yakuza series is so similar to other games we already buy a lot of. Hopefully something is in the works already.

I just lucked out and got a PS4 from Amazon for $280 but this is the only game I'd really like to play on the system as of now. I think I'll go ahead and import it like I did with Kenzan. Hopefully I'll actually get through it instead of stopping halfway.

pronk420

do the asia versions have japanese menu text? i'm guessing no?

i might try to pick up 5 on holiday but i think knowing some hiragana i can navigate the japanese menus slightly easier. things like hai/iee pop ups

Zoe

do the asia versions have japanese menu text? i'm guessing no?

i might try to pick up 5 on holiday but i think knowing some hiragana i can navigate the japanese menus slightly easier. things like hai/iee pop ups

The game is very heavy on kanji...

EricB

That's quite a discount on 1 & 2 HD...
...but of course I just bought it on PSN the other day thanks to this new Yakuza binge I've been on since the release of Ishin. (Seriously, picked up 5 at the electronics market, ordered Dead Souls from Amazon, and bought Japan PSN cards to download the two PSP games in addition to 1 & 2 HD).
I now have a lengthy backlog consisting just of Yakuza games.

If anyone is looking for a way to get Japanese PSN codes, 'Japan Codes' seems to be a pretty good site. The prices aren't bad and they e-mail the code relatively quickly. At any rate, they've lowered the barrier enough to enable my poor decision-making.

Top Bottom