• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin |OT| We love samurai stuff in the west too, Sega!

Simple: start a kickstarter as an experiement to see how much money you can get from fans : example : set a PSN version of Yakuza 5, english sub only, at 30 or 40$ per PSN code (giving you the game) and set the price of PSN release, Sony's cut, localisation cost, Sega's cut...

And make stretch goals : physical release sent to backers, limited editions, etc...

It doesn't cost much to try and maybe we can get it that way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Simple: start a kickstarter as an experiement to see how much money you can get from fans : example : set a PSN version of Yakuza 5, english sub only, at 30 or 40$ per PSN code (giving you the game) and set the price of PSN release, Sony's cut, localisation cost, Sega's cut...

And make stretch goals : physical release sent to backers, limited editions, etc...

It doesn't cost much to try and maybe we can get it that way.
The one weird thing is that the Yakuza games haven't been on sale digitally, so I wonder if they just can't sell it that way because of voice acting rights or something equally obtuse.

dreamfall

Is anyone having trouble with the Japanese PSN store? Like I logged in, but everytime I click on the Store nothing loads. I was trying to download the demo. I can't seem to access anything!

e4EEs2V.jpg
So bought.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I know this is probably not the right place to ask this, but was there any attempt at fan translation of Yakuza 5 or anything of the sorts ?

Does anyone have a guide they would recommend for setting up a Japanese PSN account? I think the OP could really use a link for one that someone would recommend.

I want to get this. I assume the easiest way is digitally through PSN. Can I just buy it with my cc through my japanese account or is there some trickery involved?

Loved the demo. Fighting is so much fun. There seems to be several sidequests just in this demo alone so I assume there's plenty of shit to do in the final game, not including karaoke and serving udon like a boss. Mostly, after playing the demo several times already, I just want to move on and see what lies ahead outside this small portion of the city.

Next game, please make it on Okinawa with the main island fully traversable. I wanna get my Sonatine on, blasting dudes in floral shirts.

I want to get this. I assume the easiest way is digitally through PSN. Can I just buy it with my cc through my japanese account or is there some trickery involved?

To buy on PSN you'll need a credit card with a Japanese mailing address. Alternatively you could buy a Japanese PSN point card from somewhere like Play Asia. If you are willing to get a disc-release, I'd recommend getting the Asia release, as it should be identical to the Japanese release, but for about 2000 yen cheaper.

Protip: To horizontally invert the third person camera: the last menu option is "Options", press Circle twice, you will have a list of options, you want the second option after "Tips," change from its default position.

Your camera will now not be insane.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Loved the demo. Fighting is so much fun. There seems to be several sidequests just in this demo alone so I assume there's plenty of shit to do in the final game, not including karaoke and serving udon like a boss. Mostly, after playing the demo several times already, I just want to move on and see what lies ahead outside this small portion of the city.

Next game, please make it on Okinawa with the main island fully traversable. I wanna get my Sonatine on, blasting dudes in floral shirts.

They already had it partially on Okinawa in 3. Sides there isnt exactly much to do there anyways. The most "exciting" part of Okinawa is generally the area that they had put in the game. 国際通り

m@cross

I played the demo of this last night, I don't know Japanese so I can only comment on the game play itself, story could be fantastic.

- The game world is somewhat last gen in feel, lot of population but kind of static and limiting, cities are like walled street areas that limit where you can go.

- Combat occurs after a transition, it is not seamless like GTA, it has to be triggered by events, no walking around attacking whatever you like.

- Graphics are decent but sort of better than last gen, but not tons better like some games out now.

- Combat itself is somewhat of a button mash, very arcade like, strange to have a sword in one hand and a bottomless revolver int he other.

- Camera feels heavy when moving it, maybe you can tweak this int he settings, but at default it was kind of annoying to control.

As nice as it would be to see in the US, this game feels rough and I can see it having a limited audience here with people used to open world games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs. I think it would be a mistake by SEGA to bring it over unless the translation is not expensive. All that being said, if the story is super, it will overcome these rough edges and could be a great game.

Parakeetman

I played the demo of this last night, I don't know Japanese so I can only comment on the game play itself, story could be fantastic.

- The game world is somewhat last gen in feel, lot of population but kind of static and limiting, cities are like walled street areas that limit where you can go.

- Combat occurs after a transition, it is not seamless like GTA, it has to be triggered by events, no walking around attacking whatever you like.

- Graphics are decent but sort of better than last gen, but not tons better like some games out now.

- Combat itself is somewhat of a button mash, very arcade like, strange to have a sword in one hand and a bottomless revolver int he other.

- Camera feels heavy when moving it, maybe you can tweak this int he settings, but at default it was kind of annoying to control.

As nice as it would be to see in the US, this game feels rough and I can see it having a limited audience here with people used to open world games like GTA and Sleeping Dogs. I think it would be a mistake by SEGA to bring it over unless the translation is not expensive. All that being said, if the story is super, it will overcome these rough edges and could be a great game.

You sound like someone who isnt really familiar with the series at all honestly.

Gacha-pin

Unfortunately, Yakuza is always taken as a GTA open world game clone even though It's a JRPG. Another reason it was a bad move they named RGG as Yakuza for the west.

Clott

If this was coming out here, I would use a couple of days to watch samurai movies to get myself really hyped before release.

Who on twitter can we bother to get localization?

pronk420

where do you save in this? i couldn't figure out how to in the demo but i don't know if you even could there.

i can't wait to play this, having all the japan games on psn is going to be awesome for importing. i almost want to get nogubunga ambition as well except that seems impossible to understand

androvsky

That's a ratings thing. If you could attack random innocent people CERO would give it a Z rating, which means it has to be in a special sectioned off area of retailers and many just wouldn't bother carrying it.

They already had it partially on Okinawa in 3. Sides there isnt exactly much to do there anyways. The most "exciting" part of Okinawa is generally the area that they had put in the game. 国際通り

Alright. I haven't actually played any previous Yakuza games, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the other ones if I had any means to play them. I'd love to play one in a modern setting too - something I'd prefer over Ishin - but atm I take what I can get.

I still think something based in Okinawa could be amazing but perhaps one would have to do something different, not just put the same game in a tamer version of kabukicho. Cause, really, in person kokusaidori is pretty terrible. :p

Sgblues

Hopefully Gio could work some magic and we can get this game localized, along with 5 and the HD collection...and you know what Kenzan too I'm aiming big.

Prelude.

Hopefully Gio could work some magic and we can get this game localized, along with 5 and the HD collection...and you know what Kenzan too I'm aiming big.
As far as I remember Kenzan had some kind of "child prostitution" innuendo in a scene of the main plot so that might be the biggest reason it will never get localized.
Kotaku would have a field day.

jett

D-Member

Yeah, this series is super dated, changes to its core design have been very few since the PS2 days. At least we don't have 10 seconds of loading every time you get into an encounter anymore. After playing the demo I had similar thoughts. The controls in everything you do feel sluggish and the overall feel is a pretty shitty one, frankly. This franchise never evolved.

You sound like someone who isnt really familiar with the series at all honestly.

So?

Sgblues

As far as I remember Kenzan had some kind of "child prostitution" innuendo in a scene of the main plot so that might be the biggest reason it will never get localized.
Kotaku would have a field day.

Yeah I know that very well as I have the game but at least they didn't shy away from the fact stuff like that happened back then and I'm more than sure it happened and still does in other countries today.

And Kotatu shouldn't make a difference in anything, if they figured everything was all "sunshine and rainbows" back in those times, that's just ignorance.

I played the demo of this last night, I don't know Japanese so I can only comment on the game play itself, story could be fantastic...

suggest you play a yakuza game. your impressions indicate you were expecting an open-world action games, which they're not, & never have been - they're rpgs. & the stories, btw, are consistently quite good...

Prelude.

Yeah I know that very well as I have the game but at least they didn't shy away from the fact stuff like that happened back then and I'm more than sure it happened and still does in other countries today.

And Kotatu shouldn't make a difference in anything, if they figured everything was all "sunshine and rainbows" back in those times, that's just ignorance.
No, of course, I'm completely fine with Sega's decision to include those themes, I'm just saying that in the west no publisher would ever deal with something like that because the whole gaming press would certainly exploit it to run their fake outrage clickbait articles for days.

Sgblues

Yeah that's more than understandable, and you know the dumb part about Kotaku would be? If Kenzan didn't have that stuff in it, I'm sure it would have been labelled "historically inaccurate" and then some long list on what Sega made wrong.

But yeah lolkotaku, hopefully Gio can get RGG5, Ishin and the HD collection over so people can experience them.

pronk420

the combat in this is really good, it feels strange (in a good way) to be playing it at 60fps

it is a little bit difficult not being able to understand stuff but i didnt get permanently stuck yet..

the combat in this is really good, it feels strange (in a good way) to be playing it at 60fps

it is a little bit difficult not being able to understand stuff but i didnt get permanently stuck yet..

Yea same here, I'm moving along nicely and I have a good idea of the overall story, but it sucks not being able to know the specifics. And the chatter on the street. But still, playing a Yakuza game at 1080/60 is amazing. Feels so good. Love the combat in this one.

Parakeetman

Alright. I haven't actually played any previous Yakuza games, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the other ones if I had any means to play them. I'd love to play one in a modern setting too - something I'd prefer over Ishin - but atm I take what I can get.

I still think something based in Okinawa could be amazing but perhaps one would have to do something different, not just put the same game in a tamer version of kabukicho. Cause, really, in person kokusaidori is pretty terrible. :p

Ive been there and there isnt exactly all that much to do. The small bit they did in 3 was about the extent of it and that was enough really.

Gacha-pin

I think I reached the legit point to get back to the vita app (joined shinsengumi and met haruka in the game). So I restarted to play the game on vita. I already transfered my save to vita and transfered back to PS4 three or four times but I always got the the wall of the useragreement texts for using the network function and have to scroll it down and press the agree button to proceed...meh.

Koppai

I know it's foolish to say, but if they can bring over a niche music game like Hatsune Miku which has music in it...which is often a localization issue, than they can bring over Yakuza...<_<;

I know it's a lot more than that for Yakuza, I think it's too early to tell, lots of PS3 games are still being released, and if the rumor that Atlus is bringing over Yakuza 5 would be awesome. But I have a feeling if it's true, that they are probably doing Ishin.

akaoni

Banned
My thoughts tell me this game would sell a lot better than the standard Yakuza series internationally and on a new system starving for games they could make a killing if they released it soonish, but I'm not a salesman.

Top Bottom