• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ryu Ga Gotoku: Ishin |OT| We love samurai stuff in the west too, Sega!

Yakuza 1, 2 HD will be on sale on JP PSN from 14/3/4 to 14/3/26. The price is dropped to 1980yen from 4700yen. This HD port is really good and 1 & 2 are the best in the series. You haven't played them on PS2 and if you are okay with Japanese version, I think it's a good deal.
Because you probably won't get this in English ;p

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetw...GAGOTOKUHD000?EMCID=jGMsepad-gpsaw-br_0000001
I'm tempted, but having already played them I may pass. Such a shame that we may never see this collection here.

Just got my copy in, going through the combat tutorials and intros. I'm dying to get cut loose or go on some big raid. Not being able to read anything makes me want to bash more people.

Shout outs to KHHSubs for making navigating the menus possible!

Gacha-pin

finally unlock the share function, I mean finish the story mode lol

Kyoto is super simplified in the game but you can still tell where you are.

Kawara-machi
0njYcOZ.jpg

dyoAYW5.jpg

vMICN3b.jpg

Kamo-gawa (river) @ Shijo-bashi (bridge)
Hj51Nrp.jpg

0qoe2YH.jpg

MIRfAdE.jpg

Gacha-pin

http://ryu-ga-gotoku.com/ishin/kouryaku/index.html
↑↑↑↑
There is a gameplay guide in the official site and I found the below sentence in Vol.13 entry.
ちなみに、PS4版だと「幕末漫遊」はSHARE機能に対応していますので、自分のプレイを世界中に配信できます。既にSHARE機能で配信してくださっている方もいますが、それを見た海外ユーザーから海外版も出してくれと、問い合わせが結構来てます(笑)。

My rough translation--> Thanks for the PS4's share function, there are Ishin streamers and we received localization requests from the viewers overseas lol <image>SorryNihonOnlyHaruka.jpg</imgae>

Ganbare, Yakuza fans in the west. At least, RGG Studio is listening...

Imagine how much more free advertising they'd get if they didn't disable streaming from the rest of the game...

I'm still super salty Sony let them do that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
&#8593;&#8593;&#8593;&#8593;
There is a gameplay guide in the official site and I found the below sentence in Vol.13 entry.

My rough translation--> Thanks for the PS4's share function, there are Ishin streamers and we received localization requests from the viewers overseas lol <image>SorryNihonOnlyHaruka.jpg</imgae>

If only this actually meant anything. :(

rvy

Banned
&#8593;&#8593;&#8593;&#8593;

Please, they're just messing with us at this point. EDGE told Nagoshi about our pain. He don't give a fuck.

Well fuck, KHH subs website is down.

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

Their Ishin translation guide last reached chapter 10, his tumblr updated April 2nd saying it'll be down for a while and has no control over it at the moment.

http://khhsubs.tumblr.com/post/81506522582/khhsubs-com-site-down

Did SEGA shut them down? :/

Anyone have a backup of the guide somewhere? I get my import copy in a week or so my luck is pretty crappy lol.
Does anyone have the cached site? I'm gonna get lost without the guide. :-(

Well fuck, KHH subs website is down.

http://www.khhsubs.com/projectsrggishin.html

Their Ishin translation guide last reached chapter 10, his tumblr updated April 2nd saying it'll be down for a while and has no control over it at the moment.

http://khhsubs.tumblr.com/post/81506522582/khhsubs-com-site-down

Did SEGA shut them down? :/

Anyone have a backup of the guide somewhere? I get my import copy in a week or so my luck is pretty crappy lol.

Wow this sucks. Why would SEGA shut them down (if that's what actually happened?) it seems that way the way it's vaguely worded.

Maybe it's something else, because there are guides for other Yakuza games out there... I don't know but this is awful. That at least helped me get a clear idea what was happening after the fact.,

Yaqoub

Huh, odd. He made it seem like it would be down indefinitely and that it was serious.

Still, very glad to hear that. I'll make sure to save as PDF every day now.

Please do! I'll also get a backup going once the site is back up.

Glad it wasn't SEGA being dicks. I can't wait to get my copy soon!

Bebpo

Banned
When does the combat open up? I just hit chapter 4 and the combat options seem so limited and all the stuff I'm unlocking in dojos is so far down the line on the upgrade circle for each weapon that it feels like combat is going to suck until endgame.

The boss fights for instance, like the boss of chapter 3, seem kind of rough. They block most of your hits and I have no parrying options with the sword so with single sword combat all I can do is block and then counter a few hits until they block or hit O for a small opening and then hit them once before they block. Meanwhile they do all kinds of stuff like parries, grabs, etc...

With Gun stance, they just get close and destroy me since I can't block. With GunxSword stance I do little damage and with fist I can only parry throw and get a few punches in.

I dunno, I just want some good combat options for bosses. Like one of the dojo's taught me a single sword move where I do an issen type slash by hitting triangle right before their slash hits me, but it's waaaay far away on the upgrade circle so I won't be getting that for some time.

Wondering if I'm missing something. Game just feels pretty shallow, like walking from one story point to the next with shallow fights in between and not much room to explore any locations. I haven't played a RGG game since 1/2/Kenzan and this feels a step back other than graphics improvements so far.

So, my import copy just arrived. I love that Japan still gets manuals. Is the share button completely disabled. How are people taking screenshots/video of this? The manual makes it seem like this is something I should be able to do somehow.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So, my import copy just arrived. I love that Japan still gets manuals. Is the share button completely disabled. How are people taking screenshots/video of this? The manual makes it seem like this is something I should be able to do somehow.

Not all games, but yes some still do come with manuals which is nice / appreciated.

Bebpo

Banned
Got back to playing this finally and it's growing on me. The only thing I really dislike is the way you learn moves in the dojo...that you can't actually unlock until 15 hours later in the endgame because most locked skills are at the end of the skill tree.

Feels incredibly unsatisfying compared to RGG1/2 where you'd find a dojo, learn a move and then have the move.

Otherwise seems good. Also seems like most of the interesting skills are locked until the 2nd half of the skill tree so combat is pretty boring for the first half of the game. Is there even a skill to get heat moves with picked up objects for bare hands? The encyclopedia says there's 60 heat attacks total in the game between all stances/environments/objects. Seems really low tbh... heat attacks were my favorite part of RGG1/2.

Brought it with me from Japan with my PS4 and although I'm only at chapter 2 I'm enjoying it despite some of its obvious shortcomings. The combat seems a little rough, but I love the way the game looks. Looking forward to seeing the rest!

Got back to playing this finally and it's growing on me. The only thing I really dislike is the way you learn moves in the dojo...that you can't actually unlock until 15 hours later in the endgame because most locked skills are at the end of the skill tree.

Feels incredibly unsatisfying compared to RGG1/2 where you'd find a dojo, learn a move and then have the move.

Otherwise seems good. Also seems like most of the interesting skills are locked until the 2nd half of the skill tree so combat is pretty boring for the first half of the game. Is there even a skill to get heat moves with picked up objects for bare hands? The encyclopedia says there's 60 heat attacks total in the game between all stances/environments/objects. Seems really low tbh... heat attacks were my favorite part of RGG1/2.

Yeah, I'm quite a way through the game now, leveled the stances up to 25 and I'm finally unlocking the moves I learned hours ago! In a way it's good certain moves are locked, as he sword triangle counter breaks the game difficulty so much to the point where I used it to perfect Ginryu (who before gave me no end of problems - and this is on hard mode).

I love the atmosphere of the different parts of Kyoto, the another life stuff is a great distraction and once you level up the stances the combat gets really good. The heat moves you do get are excellent as well, but yeah the heat count is down compared to previous games.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I'm quite a way through the game now, leveled the stances up to 25 and I'm finally unlocking the moves I learned hours ago! In a way it's good certain moves are locked, as he sword triangle counter breaks the game difficulty so much to the point where I used it to perfect Ginryu (who before gave me no end of problems - and this is on hard mode).

I love the atmosphere of the different parts of Kyoto, the another life stuff is a great distraction and once you level up the stances the combat gets really good. The heat moves you do get are excellent as well, but yeah the heat count is down compared to previous games.

Yeah, it's fun just running around doing city life sim. Today I did some farming, some merchant business, some fishing, some sidequests, some karaoke, some dojo training, some blacksmith-ing, some poker, some shopping, some eating. There's so much to do in-between the story if you feel like it.

I'm lvl.12 on the stances in chapter 4 now (level 21 overall), been distributing points pretty evenly and combat is ok. Right now mainly using gun as it seems pretty overpowered for taking out groups fast. Thought I'd be maining single hand sword since I really liked the sword play in Kenzan and Way of the Samurai, but sword stance seems a bit slow for generic grunts at this point and gun or gun+sword seems most efficient for random encounters.

The gun is pretty great for grunts. I tend to prefer to use the single sword stance as I have an insanely powerful sword that makes the rest of my attacks seem pretty tame!
The hand to hand stance is great when levelled up. Your L1 counter move making you invincible for a time is a life saver in places, and the triangle counter you learn off of Komaki (again) is as powerful as ever. Plus I love some of the heat moves you get in that stance.

Bebpo

Banned
So I kind of spoiled a little and read a review to see if review consensus was matching up with my own and really, really lame to learn that you don't get enough orbs from leveling fighting stances & general level to max out all styles and thus learn all the moves. It's like, not only do they save all the good moves that add depth to the fighting styles until the last third of the game but you can't even get them all. Super laaaaame.

Also the sidequest stuff where you keep doing the same thing 6 times in a row to max a friendship bar is nothing but grind. Same with the battle dungeons for sword upgrade parts.

I'm at chapter 8 I think now and the story's gotten good so I'm liking it, but definitely have some reservations about the combat/leveling in this one. The city life stuff w/mini-games is fun and the story is enjoyable; it's the combat that's the weakest area in this one imo.

So I kind of spoiled a little and read a review to see if review consensus was matching up with my own and really, really lame to learn that you don't get enough orbs from leveling fighting stances & general level to max out all styles and thus learn all the moves. It's like, not only do they save all the good moves that add depth to the fighting styles until the last third of the game but you can't even get them all. Super laaaaame.

Also the sidequest stuff where you keep doing the same thing 6 times in a row to max a friendship bar is nothing but grind. Same with the battle dungeons for sword upgrade parts.

I'm at chapter 8 I think now and the story's gotten good so I'm liking it, but definitely have some reservations about the combat/leveling in this one. The city life stuff w/mini-games is fun and the story is enjoyable; it's the combat that's the weakest area in this one imo.

Do you mean you won't unlock everything by the end of your playthrough or that it is impossible to get all of the skills? I'm pretty sure you can get all of the skills. What level are you?

Bebpo

Banned
Do you mean you won't unlock everything by the end of your playthrough or that it is impossible to get all of the skills? I'm pretty sure you can get all of the skills. What level are you?

That even if you do 100% completion of the game and grind until you hit max level that you can't get all of the moves in a playthrough because the stances are capped at lvl.25 and a general level is capped at lvl.50, which isn't enough orbs to fill out all 4 sphere grids and unlock all the moves for the 4 stances. Basically if you want to use all 4 stances you get half-assed versions of them all, but if you focus on 1 or 2 stances you can max them out.

Was going from the info in this review (that played it for 94 hours on hard mode):
http://hamsapsukebe.blogspot.com/2014/03/ryu-ga-gotoku-ishin-review.html

I did all the side quests and I still don't have all the skills in game? WTF? Who the hell balanced this thing? If I did all the sub stories, I should have access to all the special moves. I hate grinding games. I died a few times early which is good (since I played on hard) but once I forged my weapons, it was easy except for high level dungeons which require powerful cards.

EDIT

Poured another 10 hours into this getting all the revelations but still not being able to access all the moves. I hate that they designed the game so that you can only max out one fighting style. Ggggrrr. The system works similarly to FFX's sphere grid. Each fighting style has a spherical grid to unlock moves and bonuses and you get one point per level of fighting style and another point for your general level which you can use in any grid.

Problem is, fighting style level maxes out at 25 and I can only slowly get new moves through upgrading my level. I have gotten all the sword abilities and you upgrade again all the way to level 50 but its going to take way too long to complete the abilities for the other styles.

I like games that force you into choosing certain tech trees for your character but limiting the me from getting everything movie by making it grindy? Ryu ga Gotoku has always been about doing sub stories to get experience points but turning it into a grind fest is so sad. Worst of all, it forces me to stick to sword style because it is the only style I have unlock to post level 25. Why Sega, why???!!!!!

Which matches up with my current playthrough as the leveling is going really, really slow and I'm not even halfway through any of the stances despite being pretty far into the game. I've been leveling all 4 stances equally and trying to constantly use all 4 to mix up the combat and keep it a little more fresh. I also agree that Kenzan was a lot more fun at this point. Isshin is interesting for the plot (which the review says falls apart in the final chapter [bummer since Kenzan had an extremely satisfying ending]), otherwise it feels like the weakest RGG I've played. There's a lot of content variety as its packed with things to do. But nothing is particularly great and a lot of it is shallow and some of it is plagued with poor game design issues.

That even if you do 100% completion of the game and grind until you hit max level that you can't get all of the moves in a playthrough because the stances are capped at lvl.25 and a general level is capped at lvl.50, which isn't enough orbs to fill out all 4 sphere grids and unlock all the moves for the 4 stances. Basically if you want to use all 4 stances you get half-assed versions of them all, but if you focus on 1 or 2 stances you can max them out.

Was going from the info in this review (that played it for 94 hours on hard mode):

So it is uncapped when you do a second playthrough? My general level is 70 right now, but I'm on my second playthrough.

I think you've mistunderstood that a bit (or I've mistunderstood you). There is no general level cap at 50. I am on level 73 and I've only just finished the game a few minutes ago. Stances cap at 25 and when you unlock all the spheres on one of the grids you can go back to that trainer and fight them, which ups that stance cap to 50. It is a painful grind though, it would have been way better to let you up the stance caps as soon as you reached level 25 as I maxed them all out half way through my first playthrough...

Anyway. That itself didn't bother me, getting some badass heat moves right on the final chapter though (and still unlocking the last couple now) was a pain. Plus if you didn't focus on the sword and hand to hand stances you might not have the amazing counter/parry moves that are practically required for the harder difficulty boss battles due to how much damage they do (on the hardest difficulty).

Saying all that though, I loved the game. The last half of the game level wise makes up for the slow build up. The set pieces, bosses, story etc. is all top notch and I enjoyed it so much. The QTE's on the finale were badass...

I do agree with many of the comments from the above link though, especially about the side stories being great, but being very front loaded (they couldn't have spaced them out more?).

The hostess was a really fun diversion in this game. Both because the mini games were really fun and because there was only one. My problem with past Yakuza games was because all of the hostess missions became incredibly samey after a while (RGG5 did rememdy that to a degree though).

The combat is great fun, once you level up that is. The first half of the game was a pain, low leveled with few heat moves and counters etc. made some fights frustrating at times. In the second half I felt like a real badass countering and using awesome looking heat moves from every stance and situation.

I really liked the all star cast as well. There were a couple of surprises in the cast that I didn't expect to show up again. I especially liked
the character that Mine played
. It was great to see him again and I'm glad he got lots of screen time. I was a bit disappointed that
Haruka
was just relegated to a side story and not getting much character development.

All in all I still prefer Kenzan! to Ishin story wise but I still really enjoyed this game (especially the second half). I've still got a ton to do, mop up some side stuff, modding, get the last few heat moves, do the rest of the dungeons and of course fight
Amon

Bebpo

Banned
So I'm at the final chapter, lvl.43, stances around lvl.16-18, 28 hours in, most of the sidequests/sidestuff done in the game, about to finish the game...and my combat is still pretty limited and all the cool moves and heat moves are locked off.

This is simply bullshit. For a game based around combat, locking away 1/3rd of the moves or more so you have to grind for 30 hours in dungeons or play the game multiple times to get the full combat system is just freaking dumb. Out of all the RGG games I've played through (1,2, Kenzan) this is the only one that's been so unsatisfying in combat progression. It wouldn't be so bad if fighting styles didn't level so slowly and if over half of the spheres on the grid weren't generic HP+ or ATK+ and were all actually moves & abilities.

I have fist maybe 70% of the moves/abilities available, Sword about 85%, Gun around 40% and combined style around 25%. It's like why bother giving 4 real-time styles to use if the game is going to mess you over if you focus on more than 2 of them for your general lvl spheres. Also why the hell does Gun and Combined have like 2x the spheres as Hand & Sword. It's just really bad design.

I feel like this game is taking the series towards being a repetitive grind time-waster game. Like Ubisoft games there's a billion bars to fill up and now even the fun combat is locked away under "It gets good after 50 hours" which is ridiculous. Maybe the series already started heading in this direction with RGG 3/4/5. I sure hope not as eventually I want to get around to playing the whole series, but I sure do miss RGG1 & 2 where it was a 15 hour story game with a bunch of sidestuff to last them 30 hours for 100% completion and your movelist and combat system availability wasn't based on any sort of grind time. If you wanted hidden new moves, you found the teachers and did the lessons and got the moves...the end. Just really don't like a lot of the design choices in this game. So much filler and fluff.

Luckily the story is great, the music is fantastic and the visuals actually grew on me a lot and it's a pretty nice looking game on PS4. But the progression system is so unsatisfying and really takes a lot of out of the combat enjoyment if you're not going for 90 hours 100% completion and just want to play through the game and enjoy the combat.

Luckily the story is great

The story is probably the worst thing about this otherwise great game, it was so bad holy shit.

And i think you somehow fucked up with the skill development if you feel you have missed out on many moves you want this late into the game. You seriously do not need to take every goddamn path on the grid, you're not going to use those fucking special bullets.

Bebpo

Banned
&#35013;&#30002;&#24746;&#39740;&#26449;&#27491;;133980335 said:
The story is probably the worst thing about this otherwise great game, it was so bad holy shit.

And i think you somehow fucked up with the skill development if you feel you have missed out on many moves you want this late into the game. You seriously do not need to take every goddamn path on the grid, you're not going to use those fucking special bullets.

Eh, I'm still waiting for the story to fall apart. Been good so far through chapter 12 with the only flaws being that Ryouma is Solid Snake level dumb and needs everything explained to him, Oryou is a terrible character with too much time wasted on her and the first few chapters are kind of slow. Otherwise it's highly enjoyable with a cast of great characters and good twists and turns.

And I skipped a lot of the useless stuff, but just getting to the end of the circle where the best moves are takes forever. I wonder how many spheres you need to reach the end of gun or combined stance? Probably like 50? And here at the end of the game after like 200-300 random battles + all story ones Gun is lvl.19 and Combined is like lvl.16. The stances needed to level at about 4x the speed honestly. I kill like 60 guys before gaining 1 level. W.t.f.

Gacha-pin

For me, the story is the only best thing regarding Ishin.
I reloaded the last chapter after beating the story and put about +30 hours on it but couldn't get to the max level and even my character was not at the max level, it's too powerful and didn't have anything challenging in the game.

Eh, I'm still waiting for the story to fall apart. Been good so far through chapter 12 with the only flaws being that Ryouma is Solid Snake level dumb and needs everything explained to him, Oryou is a terrible character with too much time wasted on her and the first few chapters are kind of slow. Otherwise it's highly enjoyable with a cast of great characters and good twists and turns.

And I skipped a lot of the useless stuff, but just getting to the end of the circle where the best moves are takes forever. I wonder how many spheres you need to reach the end of gun or combined stance? Probably like 50? And here at the end of the game after like 200-300 random battles + all story ones Gun is lvl.19 and Combined is like lvl.16. The stances needed to level at about 4x the speed honestly. I kill like 60 guys before gaining 1 level. W.t.f.

This so much. I don't hate the character, but she was a bland character that I felt nothing for and wished there wasn't so much focus on her either (especially with a game like this that had so many characters coming and going).

I honestly had few problems max leveling the stances to 25 quickly. I don't remember how I did it but I did max them all out really early in the game (at the latest, half way through the game). Then again I did play the battle dungeon a bit to get lots of modding items so that'd probably explain it...

Speaking of modding. I'm currently foolishly trying to create every weapon and armor item in the game. Most of it is really easy and weirdly fun but damn does grinding for certain items (that barely ever drop) in the battle dungeon suck. Still I've come this far so I'd rather not give up now, I'm so close to 100%ing the game!

Bebpo

Banned
Spent the day grinding battle dungeons and finishing up stuff. Was able to get the stances to lvl.20/21 (outside of combined stance which I just stopped using since it's pretty weak damage-wise even if it's the most flashy).

Finished the story and they sure know how to do epic final boss fights.

Good game.
Top 3 moments for me were:

Punching Tokugawa Yoshinobu in the face (about as good as punching Tigers in RGG2)

2. An entire chapter dedicated to nothing but bar hopping and drunken brawls.

Fighting Englishmen who have no HP but are strong because of their guns.

Also I could see people getting upset at how historically inaccurate everything is, but eh, I treat it more as a fiction inspired by reality.

Spent the day grinding battle dungeons and finishing up stuff. Was able to get the stances (outside of combined stance which I just stopped using since it's pretty weak damage-wise even if it's the most flashy) to lvl.20/21.

I've found the best way to easily (and quickly) level up stances is just to use the 100 man brawl modes in the arena (knock the difficulty down to easily to make things go even quicker!)

I managed to get the trophy for completely leveling up my character. A bit deceiving when it actually just means level up to level 99 and get all stances to 25 then go back to
see Komaki and fight him, Ginryu and William Bradley all at once
. Once they are beat you can then start leveling up even more. I'm kind of greatful you don't need to reach level 400(?) for that trophy. That would have sucked!

I also did lots of ingredient grinding today and I'm short just 4 swords, 1 gun, 1 cannon(!) and 5ish pieces of armor. I'm still short loads of symbols though.

Oh, and I also ran into
Amon
and he killed me in two hits. I so wish that fight was not a bloody battle dungeon boss fight.

So I just imported this game last week and have been blazing through it. I'm really liking it and the translation site has been an amazing help.

I did have a question and was wondering if anyone here who has played through could help me out?

For the Battle Dungeons....I'm trying to unlock more levels, but when I go to select certain missions it isn't allowing me to select any of my teams to accompany me. I'm guess there is some sort of restriction I have to have with a party. The only missions I am currently able to play are the first 4 in the Bandit Cave.

(*apologizes to those seeing this thread bump and hoping for good news on a localization.*)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So I just imported this game last week and have been blazing through it. I'm really liking it and the translation site has been an amazing help.

I did have a question and was wondering if anyone here who has played through could help me out?

For the Battle Dungeons....I'm trying to unlock more levels, but when I go to select certain missions it isn't allowing me to select any of my teams to accompany me. I'm guess there is some sort of restriction I have to have with a party. The only missions I am currently able to play are the first 4 in the Bandit Cave.

(*apologizes to those seeing this thread bump and hoping for good news on a localization.*)

Yeah, some of them say things like "Defense Only" or "Attack Only" and you have to make sure the companions on your support team only fall within those categories. You can go with just one guy, too, if you don't have multiple in a certain category.

Yeah, some of them say things like "Defense Only" or "Attack Only" and you have to make sure the companions on your support team only fall within those categories. You can go with just one guy, too, if you don't have multiple in a certain category.

Thanks so much. Now I can grind some items to finally upgrade my sword to 6 stars so I can finish the sword training.

Tizoc

Just started the game and got to the
part where the old guy dies.
Again :V
Gonna buy some healing items before doing this part again, that is a lot of enemies haha

Top Bottom